Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 30th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W15 D5 L6

Xherdan Shaqiri (Stoke City)

Read 69965 times
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,203 posts | 838 
      Re: Xherdan Shaqiri
      Reply #92: Jun 07, 2018 09:13:16 pm
      Dortmund would sell but we don't have the funds for them all

I don't think shaqiri is that bad truth be told..  He doesn't have the right attitude though in my opinion

The Swiss Balotelli
      Both have everything it takes to be world beaters other than between the ears

I think we do have the funds, but as far as I know and been reading they haven't set a price and if they do they would probably go for 80m to 90m.

In the end it's up to Klopp, I'm happy so far with the signing of Fabinho and hopefully Fekir. Shaqiri would be a nice addition and we definitely need another forward.
      Kopite78
      Reply #93: Jun 07, 2018 09:15:25 pm
      I think we do have the funds, but as far as I know and been reading they haven't set a price and if they do they would probably go for 80m to 90m.

In the end it's up to Klopp, I'm happy so far with the signing of Fabinho and hopefully Fekir. Shaqiri would be a nice addition and we definitely need another forward.

We don't have the funds for them all
      Don't kid yourself
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,922 posts | 964 
      Reply #94: Jun 07, 2018 09:59:09 pm
      Haven't been on for about 24 hours -- this came out of nowhere.  Good player for squad depth.  Echoing others.... as long as he is in addition to Fekir, no complaints from me. 
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #95: Jun 07, 2018 10:01:21 pm
      Interesting player on his day, could add depth off the bench. Not sure its on the cards though and hes the type of player who needs to be playing to keep fit.

If he did come in alongside Fekir though i think we're more or less sorted in midfield and attack.
      redmau5
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 393 posts |
      Reply #96: Jun 08, 2018 12:08:56 am
      His speed and skill could suit us.  To be challenging on all fronts next year then we need more depth.

I feel like his has been held back at stoke.  Its stoke after all.  Not exactly the type of football you'd expect him to be playing.

I can see him having a similar impact as ox.  Wasn't in the right team for his skill set.  And could well excel here.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #97: Jun 08, 2018 12:26:28 am
      Well it looks like all fears that he could be an alternative to Fekir can now be put to one side. If he signs then it would be in addition to Fekir.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #98: Jun 08, 2018 12:31:09 am
      Well it looks like all fears that he could be an alternative to Fekir can now be put to one side. If he signs then it would be in addition to Fekir.

I think we are ok in attack, especially with Fabinho and Keita in midfield.

I'd say we complete the set and buy Oblak to replace Migs :)
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,785 posts | 6741 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #99: Jun 08, 2018 08:20:39 am
      Don't mind the idea at all as long as he's not going to crack it being a bench player. Beats playing in the Premiership.
      Hasty Lover
      • Forum Gary McAllister

• 92 posts |
      Reply #100: Jun 08, 2018 08:21:23 am
      Clearly has his flaws but for 12million would be a fantastic option off the bench. Also get the feeling there is something about his mentality that undermines his clear ability and if there is one man who could get through to him its Jürgen
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Reply #101: Jun 08, 2018 04:04:42 pm
      Get this done as well now it's a no brainer 
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #102: Jun 09, 2018 03:22:55 am
      I've got to say I've a different view on this to most of you. To me Shaqiri is not as good as what we currently have in the squad and the way to add depth is not to buy inferior players to sit on our bench, but buy superior players to take the first team positions from those we already have, thus allowing them to warm the bench.

Real didn't bring on an inferior player to what they already had on the pitch in the final, they brought on at least equal, if not superior to who he replaced. This is how we should be operating. We need to be buying players that forces Klopp to have decisions to make, but it isn't going to enter his mind to replace Oxlade with Shaqiri, let alone any of the front three, the drop off in quality would be too much.

To my mind Shaqiri is a player at the level we were three to four years ago when we first tried to sign him, but we've subsequently passed him by in our level of development. We've done well so far but let's continue that trend of upgrading on what we have in order to create competition for places, rather than buying someone who clearly is a squad player and is never likely to worry any of the first team for their place.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #103: Jun 09, 2018 04:28:15 am
      Not for me. I don't see what he adds to this side apart from a worldie every now and then.

He's a much lesser version of Salah.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,654 posts | 6949 
      Reply #104: Jun 09, 2018 10:45:20 am
      I've mentioned a few times down the years that I'd have him and for £12M it's a no-brainer in my view.

Issue for him would be whether he would get enough game time but if we want to start pulling our fingers out and getting on with competing in four competitions he's the kind of player you need in your squad.

He's a much lesser version of Salah.

Not coming in to replace him though is he.  Rattle off the names of players who are better versions of Salah.
      ruthcity

• 6,937 posts | 1479 
      Reply #105: Jun 09, 2018 11:57:58 am
      I've mentioned a few times down the years that I'd have him and for £12M it's a no-brainer in my view.

No brainer indeed. A trading buy. Even if we sell for £15m down the road. 25% gain. Suits Mike Gordon the investor. Useful in the meantime. I’m sure he learnt a lot from writing off £16m on Mario Balotelli.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #106: Jun 09, 2018 12:07:12 pm
      No brainer indeed. A trading buy. Even if we sell for £15m down the road. 25% gain. Suits Mike Gordon the investor. Useful in the meantime. I’m sure he learnt a lot from writing off £16m on Mario Balotelli.

So are we signing him or not, has there been any more noise about this?
      ruthcity

• 6,937 posts | 1479 
      Reply #107: Jun 09, 2018 12:15:21 pm
      So are we signing him or not, has there been any more noise about this?

Yes. Please sign him to flip. He has goals in him too.

crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #108: Jun 09, 2018 01:06:10 pm

Issue for him would be whether he would get enough game time but if we want to start pulling our fingers out and getting on with competing in four competitions he's the kind of player you need in your squad.

Not coming in to replace him though is he.  Rattle off the names of players who are better versions of Salah.

If we lose Salah in a final, or the game plan isn’t working, would you want to just bring on a shi**er version of what we already have?

He doesnt have more energy than Salah and Mo already loves to stay upfield as opposed to Mané who drops right back.

I get he’d be handy for when we want to rest Mo, but I’d rather someone better or who adds something different.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,338 posts | 6390 
      Reply #109: Jun 09, 2018 05:37:34 pm
      Yes. Please sign him to flip. He has goals in him too.

Maybe we should buy Muller instead.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,439 posts | 3422 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #110: Jun 09, 2018 05:45:05 pm
      Maybe we should buy Muller instead.

Prefer that messi fella myself, hear he is quite handy
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #111: Jun 09, 2018 05:55:33 pm

I get he’d be handy for when we want to rest Mo, but I’d rather someone better or who adds something different.
      I would rather give a kid a chance than buy someone who clearly isn't good enough for regular first team X1. Doesn't he also have a bit of an attitude problem ???.
      The only players we should buy are those that are equal or better to what we have now its the only way we will continue to improve
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #112: Jun 09, 2018 06:18:04 pm
      harrydunn08

• 5,922 posts | 964 
      Reply #113: Jun 09, 2018 07:19:29 pm
      If we lose Salah in a final, or the game plan isn’t working, would you want to just bring on a shi**er version of what we already have?

He doesnt have more energy than Salah and Mo already loves to stay upfield as opposed to Mané who drops right back.

I think all of us would rather have someone better....

But will someone better be happy to be a squad player?  Probably not....

Could we get someone better for 12M?  Probably not....  In fact, I'd imagine a player of Shaqiri's quality would cost 25M+ if not for the relegation clause. 

He checks enough boxes to justify a 12M transfer in my opinion. 
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,654 posts | 6949 
      Reply #114: Jun 09, 2018 08:50:17 pm

I'd have brought Shaqiri on before Lallana, lets put it that way.  Having said that at the time I'd have brought Solanke on before him.

Quick Reply