Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Xherdan Shaqiri (Stoke City)

Read 68683 times
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Re: Xherdan Shaqiri
      Reply #23: Jun 06, 2018 07:35:52 pm
      Had my eye on Shaqiri pre Stoke ... that was a few years back.

Can hit a long range strike ....... but what else ?

Can't see the point of bringing him in but I said the same about AO-C .
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #24: Jun 06, 2018 07:36:30 pm
      Bernardo Silva scored 9 and assisted 11 in his first season at City in 53 games.

With the quality we have, I would definitely put my money on Shaqiri to achieve similar numbers with us.

In other words, a valuable squad option!

You are comparing Silva to Shaqiri?

Have a word with yourself!

7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #25: Jun 06, 2018 07:48:31 pm
      What do you need to know he is almost 23 playing in a sh*t league, scored about 20 goals in over 100 apps.

Come on, you know better than to judge a player youā€™ve literally never seen play. Especially when Klopp has a good reputation of improving players, just look at Robertson from relegated Hull and couldnā€™t get a game ahead of Moreno at first!
      Just need to look at Jamie Vardy, he was playing in the conference until his mid 20s and now heā€™s one of the most consistent goal scorers in the Premier League, playing at the World Cup and a Premier League winner.

Fair enough write off Shaqiri, weā€™ve seen plenty of him, but players youā€™ve never even heard of until yesterday is jumping the gun a bit.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #26: Jun 06, 2018 07:49:59 pm
      If he can look like a decent player in a sh*t team imagine what JĆ¼rgen could do with him. But I am a bit Meh over it as the only real attractiveness in this is the price.
      Thewingmaker44
      • Forum Youth Player

• 13 posts |
      Reply #27: Jun 06, 2018 07:53:55 pm
      Could it not be a smokescreen for another signing?

ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,321 posts | 1016 
      Reply #28: Jun 06, 2018 07:54:59 pm
      Think it would be a shrewd bit of business, particularly if for the figure quoted.

I imagine most of those doubting him are the same that doubted AOC. Very talented player imo and I imagine Klopp could turn his career around in a big way.
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #29: Jun 06, 2018 07:55:47 pm
      You are comparing Silva to Shaqiri?

Have a word with yourself!

Read that AGAIN!! It is NOT a comparison of the players.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #30: Jun 06, 2018 07:58:39 pm
      Think it would be a shrewd bit of business, particularly if for the figure quoted.

I imagine most of those doubting him are the same that doubted AOC. Very talented player imo and I imagine Klopp could turn his career around in a big way.

Why does Klopp have to work at this level?

Do Guradiola, Mourinho et al have to turn water into wine?

And AOC always had a much higher ceiling than Shaquiri.

As another poster posted hopefully its a smoke screen to get Lyon to pull their finger out.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #31: Jun 06, 2018 08:04:04 pm
      Come on, you know better than to judge a player youā€™ve literally never seen play. Especially when Klopp has a good reputation of improving players, just look at Robertson from relegated Hull and couldnā€™t get a game ahead of Moreno at first!
      Just need to look at Jamie Vardy, he was playing in the conference until his mid 20s and now heā€™s one of the most consistent goal scorers in the Premier League, playing at the World Cup and a Premier League winner.

Fair enough write off Shaqiri, weā€™ve seen plenty of him, but players youā€™ve never even heard of until yesterday is jumping the gun a bit.

Yeah fair enough just pointing out his goal scoring record in Belgium is hardly shouting out as a talent even more so when we have the likes of Harry Wilson on our books.
      CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #32: Jun 06, 2018 08:14:37 pm

As another poster posted hopefully its a smoke screen to get Lyon to pull their finger out.

What's the little tantrum about? Why comparing Klopp to Pep and Mourinho? very different managers as Klopp has always liked the "project" of developing a player while the other 2 basically go for the finished product they can slot into their system. Plus we don't have City and United's resources, either.

Last year Pep spent 50M on Mendy while we spent 8M on Robertson who is a gem. Don't hear you complaining about having to shop "at that level" when talking about Robertson.

Also, don't make it sound like Klopp can only shop at relegated teams for small players, because he has paid a sh*t ton of money for Van Dijk, Ox, Keita, Fabinho, Salah, Mane who were all established players.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #33: Jun 06, 2018 08:24:35 pm
      What's the little tantrum about? Why comparing Klopp to Pep and Mourinho? very different managers as Klopp has always liked the "project" of developing a player while the other 2 basically go for the finished product they can slot into their system. Plus we don't have City and United's resources, either.

Last year Pep spent 50M on Mendy while we spent 8M on Robertson who is a gem. Don't hear you complaining about having to shop "at that level" when talking about Robertson.

Also, don't make it sound like Klopp can only shop at relegated teams for small players, because he has paid a sh*t ton of money for Van Dijk, Ox, Keita, Fabinho, Salah, Mane who were all established players.

Look John Henry we all have different opinions on players, and btw are you the accountant to the club?

Tell me exactly how much we have to spend on players!

If Klopp loves working with projects why have we spent so much on the players you mention..............  :D

We are now at a level where I want us to take the next step and imo Shaqiri is a cheap punt that the likes of Everton or West Ham should be aiming for.
      RedWilly

• 9,146 posts | 1619 
      Reply #34: Jun 06, 2018 08:29:19 pm
      Heā€™s a better option off the bench than Ings and Solanke, but never been completely wowed by him.

Saying that I F***ing hate Stoke so never watch them anyway, so maybe he has been decent for them.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #35: Jun 06, 2018 08:33:54 pm
      Look John Henry we all have different opinions on players, and btw are you the accountant to the club?

If Klopp loves working with projects why have we spent so much on the players you mention..............  :D

We are now at a level where I want us to take the next step and imo Shaqiri is a cheap punt that the likes of Everton or West Ham should be aiming for.

:lmao: :lmao:

Anyway, I agree, we should be looking at the more established high quality players at the age Shaqiri is imo, a player that would give our front 3 a run for their money, but unfortunately, we can't spend like City, Utd or even Chelsea (if they can be arsed).
      CT_LFC

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #36: Jun 06, 2018 08:34:15 pm

Hey i don't want Shaqiri either and said so already, so calm your tits a bit :)

No, i am not the accountant for the club, and neither are you or anyone else on this board but i am confident Klopp will get those players HE deems the right fit, even if i don't agree with it (like i wouldn't with Shaqiri), so no need to whine about "omg, why does he have to shop at this level?" when we know if he goes to those lower teams is for a reason as we have seen what happened with Robertson.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #37: Jun 06, 2018 08:38:27 pm

Get what youā€™re saying. To be honest, Iā€™ve never been particularly impressed with him at Stoke and I said in another thread that thereā€™s a reason he ended up there after playing for Bayern and Inter, I donā€™t think he has what it takes to fight for his place, expects to be handed a place in the team. In fairness, he has scored some cracking goals and put in some good performances from time to time for Stoke.

As it stands weā€™ve spent quite big already on Fabinho and Keita, plus there is expected to be Fekir and possibly a big money keeper too. Not all our signings are going to be mega money, itā€™s not feasible and Klopp tends to spend on a deal by deal basis, he isnā€™t obsessed with spending only big money like Pep and Jose. Ā£12mill for a player who is talented enough to provide better cover than what we have at the moment isnā€™t bad, itā€™s a low risk gamble in todayā€™s market, and there is much worse players who will be going for a lot more this summer. Thatā€™s the way Iā€™m looking at it anyway.

Heā€™d either flourish under Klopp and up his game and change his mentality, because he does seem to have a bit of a big time Charlie mindset about him. Or heā€™s going to be of no benefit.
      Either way though, in a financial point of view, if he isnā€™t a successful signing then the chances are we will still be able to gain a bit from selling him.

GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #38: Jun 06, 2018 09:32:23 pm
      Heā€™s a better option off the bench than Ings and Solanke, but never been completely wowed by him.

Saying that I f**king hate Stoke so never watch them anyway, so maybe he has been decent for them.

F**k sake, I'd look good among the Stoke City players... :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #39: Jun 06, 2018 09:50:29 pm
      Bad attitude and can be lazy from what Iā€™ve read. Sounds like the polar opposite of a Klopp player.
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,937 posts | 502 
      Reply #40: Jun 06, 2018 09:57:34 pm
      I quite like him to be honest. At Ā£12m he could be a useful squad player.

I haven't watched Stoke enough to really know if he's lazy or not. If so, then I don't think he's for JĆ¼rgen. He hasn't struck me as particularly lazy when I have seen him. Bit of an ego though. In terms of quality, he's actually pretty good. Think he's being under-rated a bit cos he plays for Stoke.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #41: Jun 06, 2018 09:59:45 pm
      Bad attitude and can be lazy from what Iā€™ve read. Sounds like the polar opposite of a Klopp player.

Certainly looked overweight last season.

No way we sign anybody with an ā€œattitude problemā€ under Klopp.

The group chemistry way too integral to what he does and what we are now.

On that basis - if we are interested then Iā€™ll give the lad the benefit of the doubt because heā€™s had the bossā€™s seal of approval.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #42: Jun 06, 2018 10:34:10 pm
      Certainly looked overweight last season.

No way we sign anybody with an ā€œattitude problemā€ under Klopp.

The group chemistry way too integral to what he does and what we are now.

On that basis - if we are interested then Iā€™ll give the lad the benefit of the doubt because heā€™s had the bossā€™s seal of approval.
      From Dembele to Shaqiri and Oblak/Allison to McCarthy. If that doesnā€™t sound like an FSG wet dream........

;)
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #43: Jun 06, 2018 10:35:18 pm
      From Dembele to Shaqiri and Oblak/Allison to McCarthy. If that doesnā€™t sound like an FSG wet dream........

;)

Dembele was never realistic
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #44: Jun 06, 2018 10:35:58 pm

;)

Probably flog Stoke someone for Ā£12m to balance out........
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,321 posts | 1016 
      Reply #45: Jun 06, 2018 10:46:10 pm

He doesnā€™t have to; Itā€™s a case of circumstance and different managerial styles. The circumstance being that Klopp, unlike the other 2 you have mentioned, does not have the luxury of buying the completed article.

Quick Reply