Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

Xherdan Shaqiri (Stoke City)

Read 69848 times
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,384 posts | 2823 
      Re: Xherdan Shaqiri (Stoke City)
      Reply #299: Jul 11, 2018 01:08:51 pm
      I'd rather give Wilson his game time to be honest.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #300: Jul 11, 2018 01:19:38 pm

Or Ojo. Agreed. But it may be that Shaquiri gets 15 games with us over the season, while Harry and Sheyi play 30+ for the team they go to on loan, and that may be better for them and their (Liverpool) futures.

Not that I'm made up about our buying this guy, far from it. I was hoping it wouldn't be true.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #301: Jul 11, 2018 01:57:21 pm
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #302: Jul 11, 2018 02:03:30 pm
      We needed another player who was direct and in case of injury to the starting front 3 would come on and help us continue our style of play.

I think in this instance with top quality already achieved in the front 3 positions its all about adding some depth. Makes semse to me.

HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #303: Jul 11, 2018 02:17:01 pm
      Disappointed.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #304: Jul 11, 2018 02:18:05 pm
      Fabinho in, Keita in(With Coutinho money)
      Ronaldo to Juve
      Shiqiri in.
      Here is me hoping Mane doesn't replace Ronaldo.
      Every transfer window we seem to buckle and back a bad goalkeeper.
      I heard about Karius against Tranmere, still concust?
      Ebieahi
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 382 posts | 45 
      Reply #305: Jul 11, 2018 02:19:14 pm
      I have no problem with this signing. Just consider that we spent 20m on Markovic who was unproven in the league and it backfired. At least  with Shaqiri, you know his strengths and ability. He can still improve and is already very experienced. I reckon he is a solid option filling in for one of our wide positions in the absence of our starters.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #306: Jul 11, 2018 02:22:10 pm

Or Ojo. Agreed. But it may be that Shaquiri gets 15 games with us over the season, while Harry and Sheyi play 30+ for the team they go to on loan, and that may be better for them and their (Liverpool) futures.

Not that I'm made up about our buying this guy, far from it. I was hoping it wouldn't be true.

For many seasons, I have wanted to see the likes of, Pongolle, Le Tallec, Amoo, J.Williams, Ayala, Spearing, Robinson, Coady, Suso, Kane, Woodburn, Wilson etc all given an opportunity and for us to gamble and not buy establish as cover, but lets face it, that isn't gonna win you the league, is it? This coming season seems different, and I feel we are at a stage where we should look for the stronger estabished cover to take us to the next level.

Shaqiri at 13m who could be capable of taking his game to the next level and possibly fight for a first 11 spot will be a huge steal and a far, far, far, far less of a risk than Wilson, Woodburn etc. Time for us to have a strong bench going into next season and start looking to challenge for the league and win it.
      Kopite78
      Reply #307: Jul 11, 2018 02:28:49 pm
      I have no problem with this signing. Just consider that we spent 20m on Markovic who was unproven in the league and it backfired.

Yep.. gamble that wasn't it.. one we weren't sure about
      Same with carroll
      Same with Adam
      Same with Balotelli
      Same with Karius

All gambles that didnt work out

At least we aren't taking gamble now eh?

What? Shaqiri?

Wait what?

. At least  with Shaqiri, you know his strengths and ability.

And his obvious F***ing weaknesses

Just another gamble which I'd imagine goes the same way as the rest of the gambles
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #308: Jul 11, 2018 02:33:26 pm
      Same with carroll
      Same with Adam
      Same with Balotelli
      Same with Karius

What? Shaqiri?

Wait what?

And his obvious f**king weaknesses

Just another gamble which I'd imagine goes the same way as the rest of the gambles
      Chamberlain was a gamble, but Klopp is good with players.
      I am not worried about Shaqiri coming in as long as he is backup or competing and not a replacement for anybody we need.
      He has been Stoke and Switzerlands stand out player, there must be something he can add.
      He could well be a Coutinho's replacement, that would not be good.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,652 posts | 3919 
      Reply #309: Jul 11, 2018 02:38:00 pm
      He looks like a tall midget
      wellbuilt
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,154 posts | 138 
      Reply #310: Jul 11, 2018 02:39:10 pm
      People say he's lazy and doesn't track back, maybe he's no Bobby or Manè. But in those games where that's needed these guys will start, when teams are sitting back trying to absorb pressure he could be useful for helping to snatch 3 points from 1

Balotelli and Sturry struggle in our team and they move around just as much as Xherdan and have more talent
      Billo
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,703 posts | 894 
      Reply #311: Jul 11, 2018 02:45:40 pm
      Not against this signing but prey to God that he isn't a altarnative to fekir signing. Maybe jk belive that he can make shaqiri play from the middle.
      please sign a creative attacking midfielder boss.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #312: Jul 11, 2018 02:48:32 pm
      Not against this signing but prey to God that he isn't a altarnative to fekir signing. Maybe jk belive that he can make shaqiri play from the middle.
      please sign a creative attacking midfielder boss.
      Could be Shaqiri in Gini out from the look of things.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,009 posts | 3953 
      Reply #313: Jul 11, 2018 02:50:39 pm
      Discussions under way between the respective clubs according to reports.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #314: Jul 11, 2018 03:04:49 pm
      My prediction is, Gini out 28m.
      Shaqiri in 13m

15m profit, Shaqiri to play in MF.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #315: Jul 11, 2018 03:08:16 pm
      My prediction is, Gini out 28m.
      Shaqiri in 13m

15m profit, Shaqiri to play in MF.

I'd be OK with that if that £15m went towards buying a F***ing keeper, come on Jürgen for F**k sake sort it out, I know Karius is German but enough with the nepotism sh*t ok. He's a bang average keeper with a fu**ed up confidence which is obviously very very bad for a keeper.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #316: Jul 11, 2018 03:35:25 pm
      Not sure what people want really.

Mane, Salah and Firmino are untouchable. We aint going to get much better than them.

What we do need though is some back up. A player who can play if any of our front 3 get injured, a player who can come on when we are losing or ahead after 70 minutes who still asks defences questions through direct play.

We have nobody who can do that at the moment within the squad. It was all with the front 3 (having to play every minute of every game) and nothing when one of them was rested.

The amount of points we blew last year at the end of the season was ridiculous and the main issue for me was we didn't have the ammunition within the squad.

This lad adds to it and gives us some more depth to attacking areas.

He is fast, direct, over weight, streaky and as one footed as they come. He's capable of moments in games and seasons that stick in your mind for years.

As a starter in a weak forward line up it would be a pretty poor signing as I wouldn't want to rely on him, but as a rotation option he's a nice added string to our bow.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #317: Jul 11, 2018 03:42:43 pm
      Not sure what people want really.

Mane, Salah and Firmino are untouchable. We aint going to get much better than them.

What we do need though is some back up. A player who can play if any of our front 3 get injured, a player who can come on when we are losing or ahead after 70 minutes who still asks defences questions through direct play.

We have nobody who can do that at the moment within the squad. It was all with the front 3 (having to play every minute of every game) and nothing when one of them was rested.

The amount of points we blew last year at the end of the season was ridiculous and the main issue for me was we didn't have the ammunition within the squad.

This lad adds to it and gives us some more depth to attacking areas.

He is fast, direct, over weight, streaky and as one footed as they come. He's capable of moments in games and seasons that stick in your mind for years.

As a starter in a weak forward line up it would be a pretty poor signing as I wouldn't want to rely on him, but as a rotation option he's a nice added string to our bow.
      We need quality players we can rotate with. Unless we want another season of just trying to win one thing. Chelsea and Arsenal will want to get back into the top four, we don't want a situation where our first 11 is the only good players and have nothing to see out league games between CL matches.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #318: Jul 11, 2018 03:51:09 pm
      Same with carroll
      Same with Adam
      Same with Balotelli
      Same with Karius

What? Shaqiri?

Wait what?

And his obvious f**king weaknesses

Every transfer is a gamble. Just because a player is a success for one team, doesn't mean he will be for his new team. Calm down and wait and see.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #319: Jul 11, 2018 03:52:26 pm
      We need quality players we can rotate with. Unless we want another season of just trying to win one thing. Chelsea and Arsenal will want to get back into the top four, we don't want a situation where our first 11 is the only good players and have nothing to see out league games between CL matches.

Exactly, which is why Shaquiri would make good sense, I am convinced he would get plenty of minutes and would impress. He has the ability and if Klopp and Liverpool can't fire him up the no one can. IN any case for £13m its worth a go.
      Kopite78
      Reply #320: Jul 11, 2018 03:53:09 pm
      Every transfer is a gamble. Just because a player is a success for one team, doesn't mean he will be for his new team. Calm down and wait and see.

I'm perfectly calm

What can't give an opinion  now?  Jeez
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #321: Jul 11, 2018 03:57:45 pm
      I'm perfectly calm

What can't give an opinion  now?  Jeez

Where's your opinion? All you did was moan about previously failed transfers that were viewed as gambles, and now got funny with me.

Just saying that for Klopp to want to sign him, maybe he feels he can get the best out of him because there's obviously quality there, he's far from the worst player. Every signing is a gamble and last summer showed us with Ox and Robbo we shouldn't jump to an immediate opinion about it being a bad move.

Quick Reply