Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Xherdan Shaqiri (Stoke City)

Read 68674 times
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Re: Xherdan Shaqiri (Stoke City)
      Reply #345: Jul 12, 2018 10:53:15 am
      It amazes me some people write him off before he has even kicked a ball for us.I think we should see how Jürgen uses the lad and ignore the price we have to pay for him.Over the years L.F.C. have signed many players for zilch or for a bargain price and they have gone on to be a success at the club.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #346: Jul 12, 2018 11:39:25 am
      We're signing this guy so best all the naysayers deal with it and get behind him now.

In Jürgen we trust.
      Kopite78
      Reply #347: Jul 12, 2018 11:53:41 am
      We're signing this guy so best all the naysayers deal with it and get behind him now.

In Jürgen we trust.

Oh I'm a naysayer on this one but don't worry I'll be 100% behind him once he signs
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,915 posts | 957 
      Reply #348: Jul 12, 2018 11:54:48 am
      I may be in the minority, but I'm all for this one.  The kid has plenty of ability and he scores some sensational goals.  Perhaps most importantly, he is physically strong and makes a nuisance of himself to opposition defenders -- something I'm sure Jürgen will appreciate.  I certainly would have preferred to have him available as a substitute in the CL final rather than a half fit Lallana. 
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #349: Jul 12, 2018 12:46:23 pm
      How much better do you expect for £12m? Names please. Personally I think he has tonnes of potential if he can be properly motivated and if anyone can do it then Jürgen can, and if not then so what, we move him on at the end of the season, its not like he's the only player we are signing and that we will be dependent on him.

The price isn’t the issue. The quality is.

Sure, it’s cheap in this current market. But I don’t really give a toss. Get a proper footballer who will improve us instead of a punt on untapped potential. We’ve made these signings too often and so few have worked.

Even the Robertson’s and Coutinho’s who were cheap didn’t have three chances to show what they’re about. They showed it on their first crack.

Oh I'm a naysayer on this one but don't worry I'll be 100% behind him once he signs

But I also have to go along with this ideology.

I was WAY OFF with the Van Dijk signing. I pray I’ve got egg on my face with this one, too.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #350: Jul 12, 2018 02:35:51 pm

Sure, it’s cheap in this current market. But I don’t really give a toss. Get a proper footballer who will improve us instead of a punt on untapped potential. We’ve made these signings too often and so few have worked.

Even the Robertson’s and Coutinho’s who were cheap didn’t have three chances to show what they’re about. They showed it on their first crack.

I was WAY OFF with the Van Dijk signing. I pray I’ve got egg on my face with this one, too.

Of course price is the issue, we are not bloody Citeh with their infinite money that they can buy a £70m bench warmer. Shaquiri will be an extra option for us, he won't be the main big marquee signing, I really don't get the issue here, I find it baffling. Bottom line if he works hard he will be a very good player for us, if he doesn't then sell him on next summer, what exactly is the issue??
      Billo
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,601 posts | 855 
      Reply #351: Jul 12, 2018 02:48:32 pm
      Of course price is the issue, we are not bloody Citeh with their infinite money that they can buy a £70m bench warmer. Shaquiri will be an extra option for us, he won't be the main big marquee signing, I really don't get the issue here, I find it baffling. Bottom line if he works hard he will be a very good player for us, if he doesn't then sell him on next summer, what exactly is the issue??

How do you know that he isn't the marquee signing? That's what worries me. How do you know that we aren't signing him so we can convert him into a am?
      I'm all for having shaqiri to add depth in the squad but as long as we add a creative midfielder/am too.

Ox saw himself as a midfielder, arse fans didn't and neither did Wenger.
      he has played as a midfielder for us most of the time. It's no secret that jk likes player who can play in different positions.
      what if the board said. We know boss that you want fekir, but we can't get him now. What if we buy shaqiri as buffer until the next window?

I'm not saying it's the way it happened, nobody knows what's happening but I fully understand people who say aim for the stars.
      we are in CL again, we were in CL final. We have a lot of pull to get the players we want atm. Why don't use it to sign blockbuster players. They are huge risk but they have a huge reward as well.

Just for the record. I don't mind us signing shaqiri but let's aim bot higher and get someone who can create magic at anfield. I want to win things. We have been steadying ship for too long, it's time for the title push.
      « Last Edit: Jul 12, 2018 02:56:22 pm by Billo »
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #352: Jul 12, 2018 02:53:00 pm

In Jürgen we trust.

The moment he signs the contract and puts the shirt on he's a Red.
      End of.
      Full support.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #353: Jul 12, 2018 02:54:34 pm
      How do you know that he isn't the marquee signing? That's what worries me. How do you know that we aren't signing him so we can convert him into a am?

We don't ... and that be the worry.

Sir Suarez
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 783 posts | 59 
      Reply #354: Jul 12, 2018 03:16:54 pm
      The moment he signs the contract and puts the shirt on he's a Red.
      End of.
      Full support.

Maybe some supporters should think of this post when they talk about Karius
      Scottbot

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #355: Jul 12, 2018 03:42:37 pm
      Maybe some supporters should think of this post when they talk about Karius

Ah the old blind faith routine. Love that one.

When your in the ground yep, I completely agree, show support and never ever boo your team. But outside the ground ie. in an internet forum, If I can't point out that Karius is shi...te then what's the frickin point of having a forum?
      CT_LFC

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #356: Jul 12, 2018 03:45:51 pm

When your in the ground yep, I completely agree, show support and never ever boo your team. But outside the ground ie. in an internet forum, If I can't point out that Karius is shi...te then what's the frickin point of having a forum?

I don't disagree with your overall point, though if you and Heimdall were given 2 tickets to a Liverpool game, i am convinced you'd spend the 90 minutes booing the guy and probably bring in a banner too  ;)
      Scottbot

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #357: Jul 12, 2018 03:46:04 pm
      I really don't mind us going for Shakiri but then I look at City. They have attacking midfielders coming out of their ears with Sane, Sterling, Silva and B.Silva and now they have added some squad depth and competition by signing Mahrez. Meanwhile we're about to pick up Shakiri from the Aldi closedown sale that is Stoke City's relegation.
      harrydunn08

• 5,915 posts | 957 
      Reply #358: Jul 12, 2018 03:49:45 pm

Fair comment.  I'd say that every new signing deserves the benefit of doubt.  If Shaqiri signs and is given an opportunity, but fails to impress, then you can call him sh*t.  But give the lad a fair crack first. 

Karius has already had 2 chances.  I've seen all I need to see to form an opinion on him.  However, if he is the #1 on opening day, he'll have my full support. 
      CT_LFC

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #359: Jul 12, 2018 03:57:02 pm
      Fair comment.  I'd say that every new signing deserves the benefit of doubt.  If Shaqiri signs and is given an opportunity, but fails to impress, then you can call him sh*t.  But give the lad a fair crack first. 

Karius has already had 2 chances.  I've seen all I need to see to form an opinion on him.  However, if he is the #1 on opening day, he'll have my full support.

I can only imagine all the sh*t Ox got when he first got here and had a bit of a struggle to adapt. Must have been priceless moments here.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #360: Jul 12, 2018 05:34:00 pm
      I really don't mind us going for Shakiri but then I look at City. They have attacking midfielders coming out of their ears with Sane, Sterling, Silva and B.Silva and now they have added some squad depth and competition by signing Mahrez. Meanwhile we're about to pick up Shakiri from the Aldi closedown sale that is Stoke City's relegation.

There’s no point comparing us with City because they are miles ahead financially. Just because they’ve signed Mahrez though, doesn’t mean he will be a better signing than Shaqiri. Look at Mendy, 50mill and spent all season injured. Robbo, 7mill and was boss.
      Scottbot

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #361: Jul 12, 2018 05:50:49 pm
      I was looking more at the quality of player rather than the price mate. I really rate mahrez, far more so than I think he's an excellent player.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #362: Jul 12, 2018 05:57:26 pm
      I really don't mind us going for Shakiri but then I look at City.
      City are good but they overpay. Sterling and Fernandinho hardly looked amazing this WC. Shaqiri was Switzerland's best player. Obviously there's a good player in there and klopp can get him that out. If Shaqiri was going to City, half the fans that are moaning we got him would be moaning we didn't. One things for sure, he's got to be better than Fabian Delph, who is at City.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #363: Jul 12, 2018 06:18:13 pm
      I was looking more at the quality of player rather than the price mate. I really rate mahrez, far more so than I think he's an excellent player.

I really rate him too but what I was getting at, maybe I should have done my post a bit better, was that even though Mahrez would be a better signing on paper, there's no guarantee it will actually work out that way. His time at Leicester he's been the main man basically, he might not adjust to being a rotational player.
      I would have liked to see us go for Mahrez but wasn't to be.
      Billo
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,601 posts | 855 
      Reply #364: Jul 12, 2018 08:20:22 pm
      City are good but they overpay. Sterling and Fernandinho hardly looked amazing this WC. Shaqiri was Switzerland's best player. Obviously there's a good player in there and klopp can get him that out. If Shaqiri was going to City, half the fans that are moaning we got him would be moaning we didn't. One things for sure, he's got to be better than Fabian Delph, who is at City.

This does even make sense. So sterling and ferdinho did bad in wc for their national teams then they are bad players for city?
      did you even watch any of city games last season? Those two players just had a very good season.

CT_LFC

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #365: Jul 12, 2018 08:57:10 pm
      This does even make sense. So sterling and ferdinho did bad in wc for their national teams then they are bad players for city?
      did you even watch any of city games last season? Those two players just had a very good season.

hey, he's not the only one using that logic. I have seen someone lament that we did not buy Pickford because he made a few good saves in the world cup, but no mention that late in the game when Croatia hit the post it was because he was out by the top of the box chasing butterflies, or later on when he got a pass back from the defender he cleared the ball on the ground and almost gave it straight to the Croatian player who would have had an easy open net.

Those "could have cost us" mistakes are always overlooked when they are made by players on other teams, but brought up when its one of ours, as we see in the most recent Lovren discussion, for example.
      RedStorm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,746 posts | 142 
      • YOU'LL NEVER WALK ALONE
      Reply #366: Jul 12, 2018 09:26:32 pm

The ego and personality concerns me. How will he get along in the dressing room and will he affect squad camaraderie? Can anyone put my worries to rest?

Quality is not in doubt. He is wonderfully skilled and has a damaging cross, sh*t and pass.

Like an earlier poster said, he’s a nuisance and he is busy all over the pitch. I love that in a player.

Not exactly in style but the buzzing around being annoying to opposition defences reminds me a little of Beardsley and Houghton in their prime.
      Jimsouse67

• 9,275 posts | 1436 
      Reply #367: Jul 12, 2018 11:12:48 pm

Quick Reply