Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Bayern [Champions League] Tue 19th Feb @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Anfield

Today is the 18th of February and on this date LFC's match record is P22 W14 D5 L3

Group D games Argentina, Iceland, Croatia, Nigeria

Read 2737 times
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 25,372 posts | 3115 
      Re: Group D games Argentina, Iceland, Croatia, Nigeria
      Reply #120: Jun 21, 2018 09:03:37 pm
      looking at some of the fouls how did the Ref not give any RED cards tonight.
      Diego LFC
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,551 posts | 2147 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #121: Jun 21, 2018 09:04:03 pm
      It's ability. He is past peak and Ronaldo isn't. It doesn't show as much in La Liga against sides like Celta Vigo and Grenada... but Messi can't tussle at this level anymore.

Meh, Messi hardly received the ball, that match was won in midfield. Sampaoli put all his cards on pressing and winning the ball high but it failed badly because Croatia were so good on the ball. Plus that starting XI is probably the worst I've ever seen of an Argentinian team in a World Cup.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,366 posts | 1577 
      Reply #122: Jun 21, 2018 09:06:14 pm
      I think I want Croatia to win the World Cup.
      Ribapuru
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,383 posts | 1232 
      Reply #123: Jun 21, 2018 09:07:28 pm
      Meh, Messi hardly received the ball, that match was won in midfield. Sampaoli put all his cards on pressing and winning the ball high but it failed badly because Croatia were so good on the ball. Plus that starting XI is probably the worst I've ever seen of an Argentinian team in a World Cup.
      It's an excuse. He didn't have the stamina to go get it. World class players can make something happen regardless.
      Portugal are bang average and Ronaldo makes things happen. Swap Ronaldo for Messi and Argentina would not be on 1 point. Messi's penalties have been poor, his free kicks have been poor... his movement has been sub par regardless of other players.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 25,372 posts | 3115 
      Reply #124: Jun 21, 2018 09:09:01 pm
      I think I want Croatia to win the World Cup.

they really look up for it their attitude is perfect and why couldn't they go all the way their is so far no outstanding team
      Diego LFC
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,551 posts | 2147 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #125: Jun 21, 2018 09:11:40 pm
      It's an excuse. He didn't have the stamina to go get it. World class players can make something happen regardless.
      Portugal are bang average and Ronaldo makes things happen. Swap Ronaldo for Messi and Argentina would not be on 1 point. Messi's penalties have been poor, his free kicks have been poor... his movement has been sub par regardless of other players.

Funny because last World Cup Ronaldo couldn't get out of his group whilst Messi went all the way to the final. Ronaldo didn't make anything happen out of nothing then, did he.

This is football, not tennis. A team sport. Messi hardly got the ball, at one point Caballero had more touches than him, and that's easily understandable when you look at that atrocious lineup and sh*t midfield. An ageing Mascherano & a mediocre Enzo Perez vs Rakitic and Modric, it's not even a fair competition.

Portugal are a much better trained team these days. They have had the same spine for years and the same coach too. Argentina have tried to experiment with many different coaches who keep changing completely the way they play.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 28,778 posts | 3420 
      Reply #126: Jun 21, 2018 09:27:37 pm

Cesc mentioned that after the match in the studio, saying Argentina were playing 5 in defence and 5 in attack, with midfield being so easy for Croatia.

Actually enjoyed that game, few naughty challenges here and there, some good goals and Maradona looking like he was just coming off a downer :laugh:

Hopefully Iceland can further compound Argentina's misery by picking up a win tomorrow!
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,895 posts | 2741 
      Reply #127: Jun 21, 2018 09:38:21 pm
      I think most of the Reds on here could have set up Argentina better than Sampaoli and he will be lucky to still be the manager for their next game.

Shameful performance.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,386 posts | 1498 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #128: Jun 21, 2018 09:48:03 pm
      Credit to dejan who apart from one major brain fart had a really good game
      CT_LFC
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 834 posts | 188 
      Reply #129: Jun 21, 2018 09:50:59 pm
      Just watched the extended highlights and this is great. I almost shed a tear of joy after seeing Maradona look so miserable.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 25,372 posts | 3115 
      Reply #130: Jun 21, 2018 10:05:34 pm
      Just watched the extended highlights and this is great. I almost shed a tear of joy after seeing Maradona look so miserable.

that must have been when the Camera caught him just after dropping his pastie on the floor.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,334 posts | 4730 
      • YNWA
      Reply #131: Jun 21, 2018 10:09:12 pm
      One thing I've learnt tonight is that England supporters still harbour a genuine distaste for Argentina. Lots of gleeful 'givin it large' celebrations around.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 25,372 posts | 3115 
      Reply #132: Jun 21, 2018 10:14:08 pm
      just don't like f***in cheats who then declare divine intervention. Argentina have a long history of being very bad losers
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,334 posts | 4730 
      • YNWA
      Reply #133: Jun 21, 2018 10:18:09 pm
      just don't like f***in cheats who then declare divine intervention. Argentina have a long history of being very bad losers

We kind of saw that tonight. Some petty stuff from them late on.
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,463 posts | 861 
      Reply #134: Jun 21, 2018 10:19:17 pm
      Their managers post match interview is a shocker. Admitted he ‘didn’t understand the fame’.

I know everyone is saying Argentina’s squad is sh*te, but when you have Messi, Dybala, Aguero, Di Maria, Higuain in your squad you should be able to produce some coherent attacking football surely.

Messi will get a hammering for this, him and Ronaldo are forever judged against each other and this World Cup is a nightmare in that sense for Messi.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,386 posts | 1498 
      Reply #135: Jun 21, 2018 10:39:52 pm
      Sampaoli was outstanding with chile but simply hasn't adapted his style to suit the different style and type of player, prefers high intensity pressing but plays a past it mash and enzo Perez
      Ribapuru
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,383 posts | 1232 
      Reply #136: Jun 21, 2018 10:52:10 pm
      One thing I've learnt tonight is that England supporters still harbour a genuine distaste for Argentina. Lots of gleeful 'givin it large' celebrations around.
      Argentina are disliked for being cheaters against England in the past. The hand of Maradona. The Beckham incident.. falling to the ground when Beckham hardly touched him. Goalie rolling around on the floor to get a goal disallowed. Diving etc... VAR is a nightmare for Argentina.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 28,778 posts | 3420 
      Reply #137: Jun 21, 2018 11:09:01 pm

Nothing better than watching Argentina get beat, they proper turn into a gang of narks similar to the way early Utd teams used to do under Ferguson whenever they would be getting beat.

Sampaoli was outstanding with chile but simply hasn't adapted his style to suit the different style and type of player, prefers high intensity pressing but plays a past it mash and enzo Perez

At least if Argentina get knocked out Sampaoli can go and get involved in the Russian ultra forest aggro instead of wasting his time coaching a football team. :laugh:
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,334 posts | 4730 
      • YNWA
      Reply #138: Jun 21, 2018 11:20:44 pm
      Heard a couple of football pundits/presenters in the last day or so comparing the Messi/Ronaldo debate to The Beatles/Rolling Stones one.

Here's the thing though...The Rolling Stones were never even 'nearly' as good as The Beatles. F**k it - The Kinks were better than the Stones!
      DanMann
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,754 posts | 442 
      Reply #139: Jun 21, 2018 11:25:14 pm
      Iceland will likely beat Nigeria, and game over for Argentina.. and Nigeria of course.
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,523 posts | 189 
      Reply #140: Jun 22, 2018 01:02:54 am
      Funny because last World Cup Ronaldo couldn't get out of his group whilst Messi went all the way to the final. Ronaldo didn't make anything happen out of nothing then, did he.

This is football, not tennis. A team sport. Messi hardly got the ball, at one point Caballero had more touches than him, and that's easily understandable when you look at that atrocious lineup and sh*t midfield. An ageing Mascherano & a mediocre Enzo Perez vs Rakitic and Modric, it's not even a fair competition.

Portugal are a much better trained team these days. They have had the same spine for years and the same coach too. Argentina have tried to experiment with many different coaches who keep changing completely the way they play.

Ronaldo has truly been blessed in this world cup. As soon as he goes outside the box he looks like a pub player. The free kick is really about it. However, if you score a hat trick you get the headlines even if it is against people you play with every day or against every other day. I don't think Ronaldo will be pulling Portugal past any difficult opponents in the knockout phase. He may score though. Before this world cup he had 3 goals in 3 world cups now he has 7 in 4: hardly legendary. Eusebio got 9 at the '66 world cup.

As for Messi, I thought he and Mascherano have been pulling the strings in the Argentine set up for a while now. Deciding on who plays etc. It would be interesting to know if the rumours are true. In an era of unprecedented investment these two players (Ronaldo and Messi) are providing a return on investment. Their club teams are set up to maximise their potential in terms of economic return. No wonder when they get to international level they feel impoverished. I think in this world cup the differnec betweent hem is Ronaldo smells is chance to pull ahead of Messi in the Balon D'Or, his last chance and he is desperate. But 10 Ballon D'Ors between them is that 'unbelievable' or a sign of the times?
      Dadorious
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,726 posts | 977 
      Reply #141: Jun 22, 2018 01:04:22 am
      Still buzzing!

Back in love with football again!
      CT_LFC
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 834 posts | 188 
      Reply #142: Jun 22, 2018 01:39:55 am

Well, i am not from England, though i did spend 8 great months there many years ago and is when/how i became a Liverpool fan, so you don't have to go across the pond for them to be hated. I hate them just as much on their own side of the Atlantic.  Just dirty, cheating fucks.
      Jimsouse67
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,874 posts | 396 
      Reply #143: Jun 22, 2018 08:29:22 am
      Cesc mentioned that after the match in the studio, saying Argentina were playing 5 in defence and 5 in attack, with midfield being so easy for Croatia.

Actually enjoyed that game, few naughty challenges here and there, some good goals and Maradona looking like he was just coming off a downer :laugh:

Hopefully Iceland can further compound Argentina's misery by picking up a win tomorrow!
      The bit where the camera focused on maradona as he was kissing the argentine shirt made me laugh as I recon he was blowing his nose after a few lines of beak before kick off,probably to twisted to even know what the final score was after the final whistle.
      Had a feeling Croatia would beat them though,certainly got a great chance of winning the whole thing especially with modric playing the way he is,outstanding player,as for that snide foul from otamendi that was naughty that.
      Ribapuru
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,383 posts | 1232 
      Reply #144: Jun 22, 2018 09:39:52 am
      The bit where the camera focused on maradona as he was kissing the argentine shirt made me laugh as I recon he was blowing his nose after a few lines of beak before kick off,probably to twisted to even know what the final score was after the final whistle.
      Had a feeling Croatia would beat them though,certainly got a great chance of winning the whole thing especially with modric playing the way he is,outstanding player,as for that snide foul from otamendi that was naughty that.
      From the look of it he can't leave his nose alone for two seconds. He was on it as a player, so why would he quit now?
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,386 posts | 1498 
      Reply #145: Jun 22, 2018 09:41:02 am
      Rumours that the Argentinian players want sampaoli out even before the last match and want old burrachaga to coach the game v nigeria
      Jimsouse67
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,874 posts | 396 
      Reply #146: Jun 22, 2018 09:51:52 am
      From the look of it he can't leave his nose alone for two seconds. He was on it as a player, so why would he quit now?
      Very much doubt he'd pack the gear in now rib & looking at him & the way he has let himself go I just find it sad really.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 25,372 posts | 3115 
      Reply #147: Jun 22, 2018 10:07:48 am
      Seen a few comments about Messi not being as effective without Iniesta or Xavi. I think we saw a team last night who had zero confidence in the Manager or his tactics.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 34,151 posts | 3765 
      Reply #148: Jun 22, 2018 02:46:51 pm
      Maybe I'm being overly harsh on Messi here, or maybe I have selective memory, but I can't recall too many international or even European competitions that he has hugely lit up.

Is it a case that he's done all his magic solely in La Liga and their domestic trophies?

Taking out Messi and Ronaldo from Argentina and Portugal I'd say Argentina are a much stronger side (Aguero and Higuain are supposed to be two of the better players in their own leagues) but Ronaldo looks capable of winning games on his own.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 28,778 posts | 3420 
      Reply #149: Jun 22, 2018 03:15:41 pm
      Maybe I'm being overly harsh on Messi here, or maybe I have selective memory, but I can't recall too many international or even European competitions that he has hugely lit up.

Is it a case that he's done all his magic solely in La Liga and their domestic trophies?

Two European Cup finals against the mancs ;)

Quick Reply