Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Bayern [Champions League] Tue 19th Feb @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Anfield

Today is the 18th of February and on this date LFC's match record is P22 W14 D5 L3

Group G games. Belgium, Panama, Tunisia, England

Read 4017 times
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 25,372 posts | 3115 
      Re: Group G games. Belgium, Panama, Tunisia, England
      Reply #360: Jun 28, 2018 08:55:21 pm
      England V Columbia sounds like a proper World Cup game bring it on
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,895 posts | 2740 
      Reply #361: Jun 28, 2018 08:56:19 pm
      Zero creativity from midfield which is a worry as there is not much improvement available from the bench.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 25,372 posts | 3115 
      Reply #362: Jun 28, 2018 08:57:42 pm
      Zero creativity from midfield which is a worry as there is not much improvement available from the bench.

this was a reserve side so nothing like the best England can put out. We have a good first XI but not much outside of that
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,895 posts | 2740 
      Reply #363: Jun 28, 2018 09:00:13 pm
      this was a reserve side so nothing like the best England can put out. We have a good first XI but not much outside of that

Which midfielders sitting on the bench today are going to make such a difference?

waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 25,372 posts | 3115 
      Reply #364: Jun 28, 2018 09:01:15 pm
      Which midfielders sitting on the bench today are going to make such a difference?

Henderson , Ali for two ?
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,895 posts | 2740 
      Reply #365: Jun 28, 2018 09:03:31 pm

Ali is not a CM.

Henderson and creativity don’t really go together.

PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,365 posts | 1577 
      Reply #366: Jun 28, 2018 09:03:35 pm
      I think England has an easier run to the SF.

I really don't rate Colombia, you guys will beat them easy, then it's either, Sweden or Switzerland.. ;D.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 25,372 posts | 3115 
      Reply #367: Jun 28, 2018 09:04:32 pm
      Ali is not a CM.

Henderson and creativity don’t really go together.

they will both play in midfield next game
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 25,372 posts | 3115 
      Reply #368: Jun 28, 2018 09:05:48 pm

I really don't rate Colombia, you guys will beat them easy, then it's either, Sweden or Switzerland.. ;D.

I think Southgate has played a blinder tonight I really thought we would play a side to win it and he changed more than Martinez
      Ribapuru
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,383 posts | 1232 
      Reply #369: Jun 28, 2018 09:06:53 pm
      I think Pope should have been England's number one. We went with Pickford. Still better than Hart.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 28,778 posts | 3420 
      Reply #370: Jun 28, 2018 09:10:25 pm

Is that record of actually not being able to beat Sweden in an international game still going for England? :laugh:
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 25,372 posts | 3115 
      Reply #371: Jun 28, 2018 09:10:47 pm
      I think Pope should have been England's number one. We went with Pickford. Still better than Hart.

didn't you want lots of changes and to finish second its actually the best outcome from tonights game
      PurpleMonkey

• 9,365 posts | 1577 
      Reply #372: Jun 28, 2018 09:11:23 pm
      I think Southgate has played a blinder tonight I really thought we would play a side to win it and he changed more than Martinez

It would be embarrassing if you guys don't make the SF's tbh, there should  be no excuses. And vs Brazil in the SF, I reckon you will beat them.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 25,372 posts | 3115 
      Reply #373: Jun 28, 2018 09:11:49 pm
      Is that record of actually not being able to beat Sweden in an international game still going for England? :laugh:

Why.....did ...you ….have ….to ...mention...Sweden
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 25,372 posts | 3115 
      Reply #374: Jun 28, 2018 09:13:19 pm
      It would be embarrassing if you guys don't make the SF's tbh, there should  be no excuses. And vs Brazil in the SF, I reckon you will beat them.

Actually Henderson is starting to get recognition for game management and Harry Kane is definitely a threat so we will probably get beat on Tuesday
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 38,227 posts | 2959 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #375: Jun 28, 2018 09:15:22 pm
      Like I said, struggling to score from open play.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 25,372 posts | 3115 
      Reply #376: Jun 28, 2018 09:19:25 pm
      Like I said, struggling to score from open play.

they have scored 8 in three games who cares how they got them.
      This is not a good England team but then again so far it is not a great WC
      Danzel
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,008 posts | 854 
      Reply #377: Jun 28, 2018 09:33:01 pm

Played a blinder? At least we know who the biggest bullshitter is and it's not Martinez. You've got a big test coming up with Colombia now, a team that has been getting better each game, has had three hard fought games and now you have to face them having played three warm up games including Panama and Tunisia and a B team today.

Genuinely think you'll struggle. What if you do go out now against Colombia? You'll never hear the end of it. Even Switserland had decent games against Brasil and Serbia and Sweden beat Mexico, supposedly one of the teams to watch and should have beaten, albeit a weak, Germany team.

England are under a lot of pressure to win their next game now.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 25,372 posts | 3115 
      Reply #378: Jun 28, 2018 10:01:21 pm
      which team in the last 16 isn't under pressure and avoiding Brazil in any round is a bonus. We cant begin to think about beating the Swiss or Sweden until after the Columbia game. So yes despite my own reservations Southgate has played a blinder
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 38,227 posts | 2959 
      Reply #379: Jun 28, 2018 10:06:43 pm
      they have scored 8 in three games who cares how they got them.

You don't think it's a concern?
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,692 posts | 1053 
      Reply #380: Jun 28, 2018 10:08:00 pm
      Played a blinder? At least we know who the biggest bullshitter is and it's not Martinez. You've got a big test coming up with Colombia now, a team that has been getting better each game, has had three hard fought games and now you have to face them having played three warm up games including Panama and Tunisia and a B team today.

Genuinely think you'll struggle. What if you do go out now against Colombia? You'll never hear the end of it. Even Switserland had decent games against Brasil and Serbia and Sweden beat Mexico, supposedly one of the teams to watch and should have beaten, albeit a weak, Germany team.

England are under a lot of pressure to win their next game now.

We didn't throw the game so there's no real added pressure.

Beat Columbia which is a possibility then theres a path for this team to go deep into the tournament.

In England there's no pressure, this is a deep squad but with very little stardust.

There's no expectation to do well really, just hope. If we lose to Columbia I wouldnt be shocked.

Think that was a good game to lose no matter the result.
      PurpleMonkey

• 9,365 posts | 1577 
      Reply #381: Jun 28, 2018 10:10:23 pm
      There's no expectation to do well really, just hope. If we lose to Columbia I wouldnt be shocked.

I would be, you guys are far superior. And I just saw that you could potentially meet Spain in the SF (Thought it was Brazil).
      Diego LFC
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,551 posts | 2147 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #382: Jun 28, 2018 10:10:59 pm
      I wonder if they will make a Sir out of Gareth Southgate if they reach the semifinals.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 25,372 posts | 3115 
      Reply #383: Jun 28, 2018 10:14:29 pm

scoring goals however they come is not a reason for concern
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 25,372 posts | 3115 
      Reply #384: Jun 28, 2018 10:16:22 pm
      We didn't throw the game so there's no real added pressure.

Beat Columbia which is a possibility then theres a path for this team to go deep into the tournament.

In England there's no pressure, this is a deep squad but with very little stardust.

Think that was a good game to lose no matter the result.

Spot on avoiding Brazil xan only be a good thing and maybe Belgium will beat them this is very very open
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 25,372 posts | 3115 
      Reply #385: Jun 28, 2018 10:19:46 pm
      watching a programme about Ali and Butland and cant help thinking Ali is a much nicer lad than he is given credit for and Butland has overcome so serious problems.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 38,227 posts | 2959 
      Reply #386: Jun 28, 2018 10:21:14 pm
      scoring goals however they come is not a reason for concern

It is when you don't really look like scoring from open play, you can't rely on set pieces, especially if its weak team/heavily rotated teams you are struggling in open play against. Let's see how they fare against team better at defending set pieces.
      Ribapuru
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,383 posts | 1232 
      Reply #387: Jun 28, 2018 11:49:37 pm
      It is when you don't really look like scoring from open play, you can't rely on set pieces, especially if its weak team/heavily rotated teams you are struggling in open play against. Let's see how they fare against team better at defending set pieces.
      Pretty sure 1-0 with a goal from a set piece would be a win. Other teams, not only England have benefited with narrow wins from set pieces. You claim you aren't anti, but there's no way you're neutral. Tell me, where are Germany now? What's going to happen to one of France or Argentina next round? Where's Italy or Holland? Uruguay or Portugal? Facts are if England can beat a Columbia that's likely down a Rodriguez... They will probably end up with a quarter final against Switzerland. If England get to the semi final, whatever way it's happened it's an achievement. By that time the World cup would have shed a lot of superpowers. We might start scoring from open play later on, we might not.. but you look a bit negative about how England scores goals. There's always going to be set pieces in games. Personally I think it's more Kane is good at set pieces than England as a whole.
      « Last Edit: Jun 29, 2018 12:06:51 am by Ribapuru »
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 38,227 posts | 2959 
      Reply #388: Jun 29, 2018 12:15:11 am
      Pretty sure 1-0 with a goal from a set piece would be a win. Other teams, not only England have benefited with narrow wins from set pieces. You claim you aren't anti, but there's no way you're neutral. Tell me, where are Germany now? What's going to happen to one of France or Argentina next round? Where's Italy or Holland? Uruguay or Portugal? Facts are if England can beat a Columbia that's likely down a Rodriguez... They will probably end up with a quarter final against Switzerland. If England get to the semi final, whatever way it's happened it's an achievement. By that time the World cup would have shed a lot of superpowers. We might start scoring from open play later on, we might not.. but you look a bit negative about how England scores goals. There's always going to be set pieces in games. Personally I think it's more Kane is good at set pieces than England as a whole.

Couldn't care less what you think I seem like, honestly not in the slightest bit bothered. England have only managed 2 goals (1 a freak goal) from open play in 3 games. Games that were Panama and Tunisia in particular, you are missing my point though, I'm fully aware it doesn't matter how you score them as long as you do, but the thing you are failing to grasp is if England are struggling to create from open play against weaker opposition then it's not looking good for when they play teams of the calibre of Spain or Brazil for example, where set pieces are a lot less likely and where they need to create something out of nothing. You don't seem able to grasp that though and seem more bothered on insisting that I'm "anti-England", but like I said, I couldn't really care less, just like I couldn't care less where the likes of Germany etc are, it has no baring on what has happened for England so far, especially teams that didn't even qualify so there's no point thinking about them.

I have no doubts that if England were to come up against a decent team, a team that is struggling to score and create much of anything in open play, you would be saying England need to take advantage of that and ensure set pieces are limited and that way there is an excellent chances of getting the win. I have no doubts that when the staff are analyzing the opposition they would pick up on this lack of goals from open play and it's no different to what team will be thinking of and looking at England like. It's not so much the lack of goals to an extent, it's the lack of chances even being created. Just like I have no doubts that if England get knocked out and it's the same scenario in open play, you would say a lack of creativity cost them. Of course, you've got the tinted glasses on though.
      « Last Edit: Jun 29, 2018 12:46:39 am by 7-King Kenny-7 »
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 28,778 posts | 3420 
      Reply #389: Jun 29, 2018 01:33:05 am
      I wonder if they will make a Sir out of Gareth Southgate if they reach the semifinals.

No, but he'll eventually get another pizza ad ;)

Quick Reply