Trending Topics

Next match: Dortmund v LFC [Friendly] Fri 19th Jul @ 1:00 am
      University of Notre Dame, Indiana, USA

Today is the 16th of July and on this date LFC's match record is P7 W6 D0 L1

Group G games. Belgium, Panama, Tunisia, England

Read 4782 times
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,470 posts | 3654 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Re: Group G games. Belgium, Panama, Tunisia, England
      Reply #375: Jun 28, 2018 09:15:22 pm
      Like I said, struggling to score from open play.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 26,826 posts | 3639 
      Reply #376: Jun 28, 2018 09:19:25 pm
      Like I said, struggling to score from open play.

they have scored 8 in three games who cares how they got them.
      This is not a good England team but then again so far it is not a great WC
      Danzel
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,070 posts | 964 
      Reply #377: Jun 28, 2018 09:33:01 pm
      I think Southgate has played a blinder tonight I really thought we would play a side to win it and he changed more than Martinez

Played a blinder? At least we know who the biggest bullshitter is and it's not Martinez. You've got a big test coming up with Colombia now, a team that has been getting better each game, has had three hard fought games and now you have to face them having played three warm up games including Panama and Tunisia and a B team today.

Genuinely think you'll struggle. What if you do go out now against Colombia? You'll never hear the end of it. Even Switserland had decent games against Brasil and Serbia and Sweden beat Mexico, supposedly one of the teams to watch and should have beaten, albeit a weak, Germany team.

England are under a lot of pressure to win their next game now.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 26,826 posts | 3639 
      Reply #378: Jun 28, 2018 10:01:21 pm
      which team in the last 16 isn't under pressure and avoiding Brazil in any round is a bonus. We cant begin to think about beating the Swiss or Sweden until after the Columbia game. So yes despite my own reservations Southgate has played a blinder
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,470 posts | 3654 
      Reply #379: Jun 28, 2018 10:06:43 pm
      they have scored 8 in three games who cares how they got them.

You don't think it's a concern?
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,279 posts | 1175 
      Reply #380: Jun 28, 2018 10:08:00 pm
      Played a blinder? At least we know who the biggest bullshitter is and it's not Martinez. You've got a big test coming up with Colombia now, a team that has been getting better each game, has had three hard fought games and now you have to face them having played three warm up games including Panama and Tunisia and a B team today.

Genuinely think you'll struggle. What if you do go out now against Colombia? You'll never hear the end of it. Even Switserland had decent games against Brasil and Serbia and Sweden beat Mexico, supposedly one of the teams to watch and should have beaten, albeit a weak, Germany team.

England are under a lot of pressure to win their next game now.

We didn't throw the game so there's no real added pressure.

Beat Columbia which is a possibility then theres a path for this team to go deep into the tournament.

In England there's no pressure, this is a deep squad but with very little stardust.

There's no expectation to do well really, just hope. If we lose to Columbia I wouldnt be shocked.

Think that was a good game to lose no matter the result.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1986 
      Reply #381: Jun 28, 2018 10:10:23 pm
      There's no expectation to do well really, just hope. If we lose to Columbia I wouldnt be shocked.

I would be, you guys are far superior. And I just saw that you could potentially meet Spain in the SF (Thought it was Brazil).
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 18,802 posts | 2402 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #382: Jun 28, 2018 10:10:59 pm
      I wonder if they will make a Sir out of Gareth Southgate if they reach the semifinals.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 26,826 posts | 3639 
      Reply #383: Jun 28, 2018 10:14:29 pm

scoring goals however they come is not a reason for concern
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 26,826 posts | 3639 
      Reply #384: Jun 28, 2018 10:16:22 pm
      We didn't throw the game so there's no real added pressure.

Beat Columbia which is a possibility then theres a path for this team to go deep into the tournament.

In England there's no pressure, this is a deep squad but with very little stardust.

Think that was a good game to lose no matter the result.

Spot on avoiding Brazil xan only be a good thing and maybe Belgium will beat them this is very very open
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 26,826 posts | 3639 
      Reply #385: Jun 28, 2018 10:19:46 pm
      watching a programme about Ali and Butland and cant help thinking Ali is a much nicer lad than he is given credit for and Butland has overcome so serious problems.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,470 posts | 3654 
      Reply #386: Jun 28, 2018 10:21:14 pm
      scoring goals however they come is not a reason for concern

It is when you don't really look like scoring from open play, you can't rely on set pieces, especially if its weak team/heavily rotated teams you are struggling in open play against. Let's see how they fare against team better at defending set pieces.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1370 
      Reply #387: Jun 28, 2018 11:49:37 pm
      It is when you don't really look like scoring from open play, you can't rely on set pieces, especially if its weak team/heavily rotated teams you are struggling in open play against. Let's see how they fare against team better at defending set pieces.
      Pretty sure 1-0 with a goal from a set piece would be a win. Other teams, not only England have benefited with narrow wins from set pieces. You claim you aren't anti, but there's no way you're neutral. Tell me, where are Germany now? What's going to happen to one of France or Argentina next round? Where's Italy or Holland? Uruguay or Portugal? Facts are if England can beat a Columbia that's likely down a Rodriguez... They will probably end up with a quarter final against Switzerland. If England get to the semi final, whatever way it's happened it's an achievement. By that time the World cup would have shed a lot of superpowers. We might start scoring from open play later on, we might not.. but you look a bit negative about how England scores goals. There's always going to be set pieces in games. Personally I think it's more Kane is good at set pieces than England as a whole.
      « Last Edit: Jun 29, 2018 12:06:51 am by Ribapuru »
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,470 posts | 3654 
      Reply #388: Jun 29, 2018 12:15:11 am
      Pretty sure 1-0 with a goal from a set piece would be a win. Other teams, not only England have benefited with narrow wins from set pieces. You claim you aren't anti, but there's no way you're neutral. Tell me, where are Germany now? What's going to happen to one of France or Argentina next round? Where's Italy or Holland? Uruguay or Portugal? Facts are if England can beat a Columbia that's likely down a Rodriguez... They will probably end up with a quarter final against Switzerland. If England get to the semi final, whatever way it's happened it's an achievement. By that time the World cup would have shed a lot of superpowers. We might start scoring from open play later on, we might not.. but you look a bit negative about how England scores goals. There's always going to be set pieces in games. Personally I think it's more Kane is good at set pieces than England as a whole.

Couldn't care less what you think I seem like, honestly not in the slightest bit bothered. England have only managed 2 goals (1 a freak goal) from open play in 3 games. Games that were Panama and Tunisia in particular, you are missing my point though, I'm fully aware it doesn't matter how you score them as long as you do, but the thing you are failing to grasp is if England are struggling to create from open play against weaker opposition then it's not looking good for when they play teams of the calibre of Spain or Brazil for example, where set pieces are a lot less likely and where they need to create something out of nothing. You don't seem able to grasp that though and seem more bothered on insisting that I'm "anti-England", but like I said, I couldn't really care less, just like I couldn't care less where the likes of Germany etc are, it has no baring on what has happened for England so far, especially teams that didn't even qualify so there's no point thinking about them.

I have no doubts that if England were to come up against a decent team, a team that is struggling to score and create much of anything in open play, you would be saying England need to take advantage of that and ensure set pieces are limited and that way there is an excellent chances of getting the win. I have no doubts that when the staff are analyzing the opposition they would pick up on this lack of goals from open play and it's no different to what team will be thinking of and looking at England like. It's not so much the lack of goals to an extent, it's the lack of chances even being created. Just like I have no doubts that if England get knocked out and it's the same scenario in open play, you would say a lack of creativity cost them. Of course, you've got the tinted glasses on though.
      « Last Edit: Jun 29, 2018 12:46:39 am by 7-King Kenny-7 »
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 28,852 posts | 3474 
      Reply #389: Jun 29, 2018 01:33:05 am
      I wonder if they will make a Sir out of Gareth Southgate if they reach the semifinals.

No, but he'll eventually get another pizza ad ;)
      chats
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,713 posts | 758 
      Reply #390: Jun 29, 2018 06:57:30 am
      Not much to conclude from last night apart from how important Henderson is in terms of keeping England ticking over. Dier is a good centre back but a yard dog of a midfielder.

Colombia will be tough for England, think most sensible supporters would say its 50/50.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 26,826 posts | 3639 
      Reply #391: Jun 29, 2018 08:30:27 am
      I have no idea why people think England will beat Colombia easily. If England play at their best level they have a good chance of going through but I expect Colombia feel the same way.
      Just seen Rooney on Sky Sports saying he doesn't miss being at the WC s he was happy with his decision to retire from England and here am I thinking he had been dropped with no chance of getting back
      heimdall
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,709 posts | 1868 
      Reply #392: Jun 29, 2018 08:31:00 am
      Not much to conclude from last night apart from how important Henderson is in terms of keeping England ticking over. Dier is a good centre back but a yard dog of a midfielder.

Colombia will be tough for England, think most sensible supporters would say its 50/50.

I disagree, the team that obliterated Panama should beat Colombia quite easily, remember that Colombia lost to Japan just 9 days ago.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1370 
      Reply #393: Jun 29, 2018 08:37:41 am

I disagree, the team that obliterated Panama should beat Colombia quite easily, remember that Colombia lost to Japan just 9 days ago.
      Colombia won't be easy,  but neither would Japan be. Personally I think Japan are very tight and play great counter attacking football. Colombian seem play attacking football. If Rodriguez is still injured it makes things better for us of course.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1370 
      Reply #394: Jun 29, 2018 09:09:07 am
      I have no idea why people think England will beat Colombia easily. If England play at their best level they have a good chance of going through but I expect Colombia feel the same way.
      Just seen Rooney on Sky Sports saying he doesn't miss being at the WC s he was happy with his decision to retire from England and here am I thinking he had been dropped with no chance of getting back
      Rooney, what a comedian. he's sh*te. Even Welbeck gets in but he can't. You are right, Rooney never retired, he was dropped.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 34,626 posts | 4171 
      Reply #395: Jun 29, 2018 09:23:51 am
      Colombia won't be easy,  but neither would Japan be.

Colombia definitely will not be easy.  Fairly sure England would have beaten Japan.  Not convinced they will beat Colombia.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,481 posts | 1211 
      Reply #396: Jun 29, 2018 09:35:09 am

They lost with 10 men for 80 minutes.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,529 posts | 3024 
      Reply #397: Jun 29, 2018 09:51:03 am
      If Rodriguez is out then I think England will beat Columbia, he really is the heartbeat of that team and the only genuine class player who makes others like Cuadrado and Falcao tick.
      heimdall
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,709 posts | 1868 
      Reply #398: Jun 29, 2018 10:08:22 am
      They lost with 10 men for 80 minutes.

Still lost though, a draw can be justified when down to 10 men and a good team can still win with 10 men. Colombia are a good team but I really do feel that this England team is very good as well.
      It should be a pretty good match.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1370 
      Reply #399: Jun 29, 2018 10:20:27 am
      If Rodriguez is out then I think England will beat Columbia, he really is the heartbeat of that team and the only genuine class player who makes others like Cuadrado and Falcao tick.
      That's what I think as well.

Quick Reply