Trending Topics

Next match: Man Utd v LFC [Premier League] Sun 24th Feb @ 2:05 pm
      Old Trafford

Today is the 21st of February and on this date LFC's match record is P20 W10 D5 L5

Group G games. Belgium, Panama, Tunisia, England

Read 4026 times
      chats
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,154 posts | 650 
      Re: Group G games. Belgium, Panama, Tunisia, England
      Reply #390: Jun 29, 2018 06:57:30 am
      Not much to conclude from last night apart from how important Henderson is in terms of keeping England ticking over. Dier is a good centre back but a yard dog of a midfielder.

Colombia will be tough for England, think most sensible supporters would say its 50/50.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 25,428 posts | 3124 
      Reply #391: Jun 29, 2018 08:30:27 am
      I have no idea why people think England will beat Colombia easily. If England play at their best level they have a good chance of going through but I expect Colombia feel the same way.
      Just seen Rooney on Sky Sports saying he doesn't miss being at the WC s he was happy with his decision to retire from England and here am I thinking he had been dropped with no chance of getting back
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,806 posts | 1594 
      Reply #392: Jun 29, 2018 08:31:00 am
      Not much to conclude from last night apart from how important Henderson is in terms of keeping England ticking over. Dier is a good centre back but a yard dog of a midfielder.

Colombia will be tough for England, think most sensible supporters would say its 50/50.

I disagree, the team that obliterated Panama should beat Colombia quite easily, remember that Colombia lost to Japan just 9 days ago.
      Ribapuru
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,387 posts | 1237 
      Reply #393: Jun 29, 2018 08:37:41 am

I disagree, the team that obliterated Panama should beat Colombia quite easily, remember that Colombia lost to Japan just 9 days ago.
      Colombia won't be easy,  but neither would Japan be. Personally I think Japan are very tight and play great counter attacking football. Colombian seem play attacking football. If Rodriguez is still injured it makes things better for us of course.
      Ribapuru
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,387 posts | 1237 
      Reply #394: Jun 29, 2018 09:09:07 am
      I have no idea why people think England will beat Colombia easily. If England play at their best level they have a good chance of going through but I expect Colombia feel the same way.
      Just seen Rooney on Sky Sports saying he doesn't miss being at the WC s he was happy with his decision to retire from England and here am I thinking he had been dropped with no chance of getting back
      Rooney, what a comedian. he's sh*te. Even Welbeck gets in but he can't. You are right, Rooney never retired, he was dropped.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 34,164 posts | 3768 
      Reply #395: Jun 29, 2018 09:23:51 am
      Colombia won't be easy,  but neither would Japan be.

Colombia definitely will not be easy.  Fairly sure England would have beaten Japan.  Not convinced they will beat Colombia.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,951 posts | 1051 
      Reply #396: Jun 29, 2018 09:35:09 am

They lost with 10 men for 80 minutes.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,945 posts | 2756 
      Reply #397: Jun 29, 2018 09:51:03 am
      If Rodriguez is out then I think England will beat Columbia, he really is the heartbeat of that team and the only genuine class player who makes others like Cuadrado and Falcao tick.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,806 posts | 1594 
      Reply #398: Jun 29, 2018 10:08:22 am
      They lost with 10 men for 80 minutes.

Still lost though, a draw can be justified when down to 10 men and a good team can still win with 10 men. Colombia are a good team but I really do feel that this England team is very good as well.
      It should be a pretty good match.
      Ribapuru
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,387 posts | 1237 
      Reply #399: Jun 29, 2018 10:20:27 am
      If Rodriguez is out then I think England will beat Columbia, he really is the heartbeat of that team and the only genuine class player who makes others like Cuadrado and Falcao tick.
      That's what I think as well.
      Ribapuru
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,387 posts | 1237 
      Reply #400: Jun 29, 2018 10:23:37 am
      Colombia definitely will not be easy.  Fairly sure England would have beaten Japan.  Not convinced they will beat Colombia.
      To put numbers on it. 70% chance we would have beaten Japan. 60% chance to beat Columbia without Rodriguez. In the quarter finals, 70% chance against Switzerland but would have been 10% against Brazil. If Spain go out along the way, we might even get to the final. We definitely have a better passage to the final.   It's a shame Japan or Senegal didn't win their group though. Columbia are definitely a stumbling block, but in the World Cup we have to win some tough games.

If Rodriguez makes it we should just start packing now though.
      « Last Edit: Jun 29, 2018 10:30:04 am by Ribapuru »
      Diego LFC
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,565 posts | 2157 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #401: Jun 29, 2018 10:47:02 am
      No, but he'll eventually get another pizza ad ;)

Haha I don't know! I always found the celebration of the 1990 World Cup a bit strange. How can people create such expectations and demand so much from their national team and still celebrate failure like that. Oh my god, look at that f**king loser in tears because he wouldn't play a final his team didn't even qualify for! Let's give the manager a knighthood!
      Diego LFC
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,565 posts | 2157 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #402: Jun 29, 2018 10:52:06 am

They had a player sent off in the early minutes, and then again, football doesn't quite work like that, does it... in 2010 Spain lost to Switzerland on their WC debut only to go on and win the whole thing... Germany had lost to Serbia on that same tournament before ripping England apart... obliterating Panama is hardly impressive I'm afraid.

England should be favourites, I'm not very confident in Colombia's mentality and they'll sure miss James who is their best player if he's indeed out of the game, but Quinteros has been playing well and they have enough quality to compete
      Ribapuru
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,387 posts | 1237 
      Reply #403: Jun 29, 2018 11:05:51 am
      They had a player sent off in the early minutes, and then again, football doesn't quite work like that, does it... in 2010 Spain lost to Switzerland on their WC debut only to go on and win the whole thing... Germany had lost to Serbia on that same tournament before ripping England apart... obliterating Panama is hardly impressive I'm afraid.

England should be favourites, I'm not very confident in Colombia's mentality and they'll sure miss James who is their best player if he's indeed out of the game, but Quinteros has been playing well and they have enough quality to compete
      Try to put any bias aside, if you were English and an England fan, would you rather take the Colombia route than the Japan route with a quarter final against Brazil?

Personally, I think Brazil have some of the best players, but Neymar isn't one of them. Swap Neymar for Firmino and there is no way I'd want to face Brazil. Neymar fluffs a lot and I can sense a red card for him eventually. Neymar is a strange one because he has so much untapped potential but his ego is ruining him.
      Pele, Ronaldo and Ronaldinho were Brazil greats. Coutinho looks to be getting close to how good Kaka was, but Neymar? He's becoming a joke.
      Regardless, still think Brazil are overall current favourites.
      « Last Edit: Jun 29, 2018 11:14:19 am by Ribapuru »
      Diego LFC
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,565 posts | 2157 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #404: Jun 29, 2018 11:25:01 am
      Try to put any bias aside, if you were English and an England fan, would you rather take the Colombia route than the Japan route with a quarter final against Brazil?

Personally, I think Brazil have some of the best players, but Neymar isn't one of them. Swap Neymar for Firmino and there is no way I'd want to face Brazil. Neymar fluffs a lot and I can sense a red card for him eventually. Neymar is a strange one because he has so much untapped potential but his ego is ruining him.
      Pele, Ronaldo and Ronaldinho were Brazil greats. Coutinho looks to be getting close to how good Kaka was, but Neymar? He's becoming a joke.

Neymar is a fantastic player. Yeah he has attitude problems so did some of those you mention. Ronaldinho's peak was very short lived because of it. And Ronaldinho was crap in World Cups. His only good game was against England, and he even managed to get sent off to counter balance that. Neymar was already better than him in 2014 but he's been poor so far in 2018. The whole team is very unbalanced since Coutinho has been in midfield, totally skewed to the left whilst Paulinho and Fagner offer little support to Willian who has been isolated. I think Brazil were actually playing better with a more conservative midfield trio of Casemiro, Paulinho and Renato Augusto. Anyway, I find it funny that the same people who tell me I shouldn't overreact to a goalkeeper throwing away a Champions League final are so amazingly quick to make final judgements on Neymar based on three matches for the national team, which also ignores the fact he's been absolutely incredible for Brazil in his career so far.

But to answer your question, of course England's path is easier now. Which will make it funnier if you're beaten by Colombia
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 28,779 posts | 3420 
      Reply #405: Jun 29, 2018 12:41:16 pm
      Haha I don't know! I always found the celebration of the 1990 World Cup a bit strange. How can people create such expectations and demand so much from their national team and still celebrate failure like that. Oh my god, look at that f**king loser in tears because he wouldn't play a final his team didn't even qualify for! Let's give the manager a knighthood!

He was part of a Pizza Hut ad with Stuart Pearce & Chris Waddle after missing a pen during Euro 96.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,430 posts | 1523 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #406: Jun 29, 2018 01:59:01 pm

People focus too much on his antics and not on neymar's football, undoubtedly the second most naturally gifted player in the world. There is more to come but remember he was out injured and when he focuses on football he is absolutely sensational to watch
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 34,164 posts | 3768 
      Reply #407: Jun 29, 2018 02:29:06 pm
      Had a good couple of bets in recent days.  Went for South Korea to beat Germany only because they were at 20/1 and just seemed excessive odds and then had Tunisia to beat Panama 3-1 so managed to cash that out around the 70th minute.

I always found the celebration of the 1990 World Cup a bit strange.

There was a good programme on BBC a week or so ago about England managers (not sure if you can access it or have seen it) and they showed a bit of the 'homecoming' after Italia 90 on it.

Did strike me as strange that there was a real sense of euphoria amongst some people.  Looks very strange on reflection - can't imagine us decking the streets for Liverpool if we had lost against Roma in the semi final.

Diego LFC
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,565 posts | 2157 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #408: Jun 29, 2018 02:46:31 pm
      Had a good couple of bets in recent days.  Went for South Korea to beat Germany only because they were at 20/1 and just seemed excessive odds and then had Tunisia to beat Panama 3-1 so managed to cash that out around the 70th minute.

There was a good programme on BBC a week or so ago about England managers (not sure if you can access it or have seen it) and they showed a bit of the 'homecoming' after Italia 90 on it.

Did strike me as strange that there was a real sense of euphoria amongst some people.  Looks very strange on reflection - can't imagine us decking the streets for Liverpool if we had lost against Roma in the semi final.

Yeah, exactly. References to that England team are very common and people often speak of them as a team to look up to, although, well... they failed.

I can totally understand that sort of euphoria if a smaller country (perhaps one like Croatia, who reached the semis in their first ever WC), but not England, where people seem to have such high expectations of their national team.

I find it a bit of a paradox that people can expect so much yet celebrate failure like that. I mean, in nations where demand for success really is greatest (Brazil, Argentina, Italy, Germany), I can't possibly imagine people celebrating a team such as that. And don't get me started on Gascoigne, I find those tears quite pathetic.

Even the 1982 Brazilian team, arguably one of the most talented ever, seems to be more revered outside Brazil than in the country... give the people the relatively boring 1994 side and they will take that cup over playing nice football and losing every day of the week!

Quick Reply