Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

World Cup Scouting Thread

Read 46013 times
      Biscanator
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 327 posts | 61 
      Re: World Cup Scouting Thread
      Reply #184: Jul 04, 2018 08:23:28 pm
      Not as if he's playing against particularly fast players though, Toivonen and Berg are so unimpressive

Wouldn't get any CB on the basis of international form as the game is so slow and majority don't play a high line, was it mexico that had a 40 year old at the back and he seemed ok. MAGUIRE and STONES frighten the hell out of me both think they are Messi when they are both ponderous on the ball, and neither the quickest if they get caught out or play a poor pass getting the team in trouble.

rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,094 posts | 1634 
      Reply #185: Jul 04, 2018 09:35:44 pm
      To slow for me, he's going to get pressed hard against Sweden and I fear for us because of that.

Pressed by who Jesus H my nans faster than Berg and she's been dead 12 year
      Biscanator
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 327 posts | 61 
      Reply #186: Jul 04, 2018 09:38:54 pm
      Pressed by who Jesus H my nans faster than Berg and she's been dead 12 year

Iys not just one their front line hunt together it's going to be a tricky game.
      GegenPressClub
      • Forum Vladimir Smicer

• 187 posts | 47 
      Reply #187: Jul 05, 2018 01:39:45 am
      I get the same vibe from Mina as I did from Mangala when he was at Porto. You'd catch bits and pieces of him and think wow, but over a whole season the consistency just isn't there.

We all know Lovren and Mangala are prone to brain snaps in judgement, I fear Mina is too. Our ideal CB to partner Van Dijk eventually should not be these boom or bust style players but those with solid traits and consistency. Someone prone to good judgement haha. We don't need big plays just no big mistakes. I'd go get someone like Ake before exploring a Mina or even Maguire.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #188: Jul 05, 2018 10:38:04 am
      Throughout the WC, seems to have zero positional sense or awareness around him.

Well ok then, it seemed to me that Colombia restricted all of their opponents to very few chances when Mina started
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #189: Jul 05, 2018 11:16:19 am
      Call me crazy but...

Has anyone really had a 'great' world cup. I've not been completely impressed with anyone in particular.

Lots of people having good tournaments, but no one having a life changing performance like James Rodriquez or others before him.
      rossyred

• 9,094 posts | 1634 
      Reply #190: Jul 06, 2018 06:15:33 pm
      See Tommo echoes my thoughts  on Maguire says quicker than you think and comfortable on ball and good in air
      GegenPressClub
      • Forum Vladimir Smicer

• 187 posts | 47 
      Reply #191: Jul 06, 2018 08:07:31 pm
      Call me crazy but...

Has anyone really had a 'great' world cup. I've not been completely impressed with anyone in particular.

Lots of people having good tournaments, but no one having a life changing performance like James Rodriquez or others before him.

I understand this sentiment. I've kind of enjoyed the predominantly competitive matches to a degree. It's been good seeing most of the "minnows" either being very organised or determined (or both).

But the big countries as a collective have been grossly disappointing. None have been remotely close to top gear for more than small fractions of a handful of games. Many have just been awful. But if you want world class football, one must watch the club game, not international, where good teams actually press the ball, and the tempo can be exhilirating.

Brazil have been ordinary this WC but still were kind of understandably favourites because no one has been firing. Hopefully Bobby coming on second half will fire them up!
      rossyred

• 9,094 posts | 1634 
      Reply #192: Jul 06, 2018 09:21:02 pm
      I understand this sentiment. I've kind of enjoyed the predominantly competitive matches to a degree. It's been good seeing most of the "minnows" either being very organised or determined (or both).

But the big countries as a collective have been grossly disappointing. None have been remotely close to top gear for more than small fractions of a handful of games. Many have just been awful. But if you want world class football, one must watch the club game, not international, where good teams actually press the ball, and the tempo can be exhilirating.

Brazil have been ordinary this WC but still were kind of understandably favourites because no one has been firing. Hopefully Bobby coming on second half will fire them up!

Bobby was poor to be fair lost possession on numerous occasions very sloppy
      danaxe
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 36 posts |
      Reply #193: Jul 06, 2018 10:44:04 pm
      Call me crazy but...

I agree, none has been super stand out as James R and others before him in terms of creating chances, scoring and contributing to goals.

However in my book the players below have surprised me during this WC and been performing better then I expected. Obviously I could probably add 10-15 more names but these I came up with straight away.

Lozano - Mex
      Granqvist - Swe
      Mina - Col
      Mbappe - Fra
      Hyeon-woo - Kor
      Musa - Nig
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,696 posts | 837 
      Reply #194: Jul 07, 2018 07:18:17 pm
      Anybody knows someone who works at the club? Please call them and just scream ''sign Rebic!!!! a couple of times and then hang up. Do this until the transfer window closes, please.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #195: Jul 07, 2018 07:35:46 pm
      Call me crazy but...

Mbappe ?
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #196: Jul 07, 2018 09:51:52 pm
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #197: Jul 07, 2018 09:54:49 pm
      Can we get Subasic as our new goalkeeper please?
      Red8
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 342 posts | 38 
      Reply #198: Jul 08, 2018 09:46:04 am
      Can we get Subasic as our new goalkeeper please?

He is gonna be 34. A bit to old for me, though he has a relly good wc so far.
      Red8
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 342 posts | 38 
      Reply #199: Jul 08, 2018 09:50:20 am
      Anybody knows someone who works at the club? Please call them and just scream ''sign Rebic!!!! a couple of times and then hang up. Do this until the transfer window closes, please.

Would have him in a hartbeat,but it looks like he is heading to Bayern (Kovac wants him and they worked together at Eintracht and in Croatia young squad)
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #200: Jul 08, 2018 12:41:12 pm
      He is gonna be 34. A bit to old for me, though he has a relly good wc so far.

So still a few more peak years in him plus he shouldn't cost to much, looks a very good goalkeeper.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #201: Jul 10, 2018 07:40:04 pm
      Courtois has been magnificent in this tournament.

Also Varane is probably the best CB in the world.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #202: Jul 10, 2018 07:51:53 pm
      Courtois has been magnificent in this tournament.

Also Varane is probably the best CB in the world.

I love Varane. Not sure if I can say he's underrated given he's been a Real Madrid starter from a young age but he probably doesn't get enough praise.

Also, Pavard doesn't look like a bad player! The amazing thing is that he actually plays more regularly for his club as a CB.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #203: Jul 11, 2018 02:33:58 am
      I love Varane. Not sure if I can say he's underrated given he's been a Real Madrid starter from a young age but he probably doesn't get enough praise.

Also, Pavard doesn't look like a bad player! The amazing thing is that he actually plays more regularly for his club as a CB.

Genuinely can’t pick a fault in Varane’s game.

And Pavard has been brilliant. I think I heard he’s off to Bayern this time next year?
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #204: Jul 11, 2018 03:45:18 am
      I'd rather chop my bollocks off and fry them for breakfast than sign Harry maguire

Quick Reply