Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Lucas Paquetá (Flamengo)

Read 9548 times
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Lucas Paquetá (Flamengo)
      Jun 18, 2018 08:07:33 pm
      Lucas Paquetá is my favourite young player in the world at the moment, so I wanted to create this thread even if I don't really think the rumours are credible or strong enough. Haha.

Lucas Paqueta 'targeted by Liverpool as Jürgen Klopp identifies £43million-rated Brazilian as Nabil Fekir alternative'
      The 20-year-old plays as an attacking midfielder for Flamengo in his native Brazil

Liverpool are targeting £43million-rated Brazilian Lucas Paqueta as an alternative to Nabil Fekir, according to reports.

The Reds looked set to sign France international Fekir from Lyon until a big money deal collapsed at the eleventh hour.

Neither club has confirmed why negotiations broke down, but the Ligue 1 club are thought to have pulled the plug after Liverpool tried to renegotiate the transfer fee in light of Fekir's medical history.

Brazilian outlet CalcioInsider are now claiming that Liverpool manager Jürgen Klopp has turned his attention to Paqueta, who he sees as an alternative to the 24-year-old Frenchman.

Pacqueta, 20, plays as an attacking midfielder for Flamengo in Brazil.

He would join compatriot Roberto Firmino at Anfield.

Pacqueta has scored three goals and registered four assists in 15 appearances for Flamengo so far this season.

Another Brazilian outlet, UOL Esporte , previously claimed his representative had travelled to London to discuss a potential move with several European clubs.

The same report claimed the player has a release clause of €50m (£43m).

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/lucas-paqueta-targeted-liverpool-Jürgen-12726960

And this is what I wrote about him on a different thread...

He plays for Flamengo, and yeah, since they're my club back in Brazil I do know a lot about him, I watch him every week and he's absolutely fantastic.

Only 20 years of age, still lots to learn of course, but one of the most exciting young players I've watched.

He's versatile, having played as a striker, winger, attacking midfielder and central mid, but he's at his best when playing through the middle in my opinion. At the moment he's been playing as a number 8, because we have Diego (former Werder Bremen, Juventus, Atletico Madrid etc) playing as a 10, but I think he's even better when playing closer to goal.

His technical skills are just ridiculous. His dribbling and first touch are incredible. His passing is very good and his decision making, most of the time, is great. Of course he still makes some mistakes, most commonly when trying to do too much in dangerous areas. As I said I think he's most naturally an attacking player so having to come deep to collect the ball, he's tried sometimes to start dribbling in our own half and caused problems when losing the ball - but that's not very frequent.

Most of the time his passing is spot on and very positive. He's always looking for one-twos, quick transitions and can do the unpredictable at any moment. And what I think makes him a perfect Klopp player - he works his ass off, presses the opponents until the very last second of the match, and reminds me of Firmino in the sense that he's technically so gifted and naturally attacking minded but still makes a significant number of tackles. He wins a fair number of headers when helping in defense as well, clearing the ball from danger.

Don't think I'm saying all of this because he plays for my team, because I'm VERY wary of overhyping our youth products, and that includes Vinicius Jr who has been sold to Real Madrid for 45m. Vinicius has a great future ahead of him but I could see his career going either way, his talent is too raw and his decision making just isn't great so far - he has to develop a lot tactically to play at that level he'll be required to in Spain.

Paquetá, though... I think he should be in Russia right now, he's that good. And Tite clearly sees something in him as well - Paquetá was part of the "reserve" list for the World Cup (23 were called up but an additional 7 were on that reserve list, which included Lucas Paquetá). Flamengo are currently top of the league and there's no doubt for anyone that he's the club's best player.

He just doesn't seem to feel pressure either. Playing for Flamengo (estimated 40m million supporters in Brazil) is hard, a lot of great players have played for the club but couldn't perform as expected (Diego himself has been under a lot of criticism and he's supposedly a star), but Paquetá just does his thing and doesn't give a f**k.

As I said, I don't think we've been credibly linked to him yet, but if he has to leave Flamengo (which would make me really sad) then I'd love if it was for LFC. Juve is rumoured to be very interested in him.

CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Re: Lucas Paquetá (Flamengo)
      Reply #1: Jun 18, 2018 08:35:14 pm
      43M for a kid with 3 goals in a sub-par Brazilian league? hopefully it's someone trolling the interwebs.

If we want to find a young kid for the future, fine, i am not opposed to it, but not at 43M and not as a direct replacement for a player like Fekir who would have come right into our starting XI on most days.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #2: Jun 18, 2018 08:44:32 pm
      43M for a kid with 3 goals in a sub-par Brazilian league? hopefully it's someone trolling the interwebs.

If we want to find a young kid for the future, fine, i am not opposed to it, but not at 43M and not as a direct replacement for a player like Fekir who would have come right into our starting XI on most days.

Have you watched him?
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #3: Jun 18, 2018 08:45:11 pm

So you watch Brazilian football eh?
      The league has barely started and he is playing as a central midfielder.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #4: Jun 18, 2018 11:32:16 pm

You paying out your own pocket are ya?
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #5: Jun 19, 2018 12:01:32 am
      Can’t find the link now but read a couple days ago that we are supposedly not interested in this kid. :(
      Arlen Correa
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 125 posts | 37 
      Reply #6: Jun 19, 2018 01:11:35 am
      He is not an alternative to Fekir. He played in attack sometimes but is much more defensive these days. He is not an attacking midfielder who would bring many goals. If the profile that Klopp is looking for is Fekir, Lucas Paqueta is not that type of player.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #7: Jun 19, 2018 01:12:54 am
      Lucas Paquetá is my favourite young player in the world at the moment, so I wanted to create this thread even if I don't really think the rumours are credible or strong enough. Haha.

Lucas Paqueta 'targeted by Liverpool as Jürgen Klopp identifies £43million-rated Brazilian as Nabil Fekir alternative'
      The 20-year-old plays as an attacking midfielder for Flamengo in his native Brazil

Liverpool are targeting £43million-rated Brazilian Lucas Paqueta as an alternative to Nabil Fekir, according to reports.

The Reds looked set to sign France international Fekir from Lyon until a big money deal collapsed at the eleventh hour.

Neither club has confirmed why negotiations broke down, but the Ligue 1 club are thought to have pulled the plug after Liverpool tried to renegotiate the transfer fee in light of Fekir's medical history.

Brazilian outlet CalcioInsider are now claiming that Liverpool manager Jürgen Klopp has turned his attention to Paqueta, who he sees as an alternative to the 24-year-old Frenchman.

Pacqueta, 20, plays as an attacking midfielder for Flamengo in Brazil.

He would join compatriot Roberto Firmino at Anfield.

Pacqueta has scored three goals and registered four assists in 15 appearances for Flamengo so far this season.

Another Brazilian outlet, UOL Esporte , previously claimed his representative had travelled to London to discuss a potential move with several European clubs.

The same report claimed the player has a release clause of €50m (£43m).

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/lucas-paqueta-targeted-liverpool-Jürgen-12726960

And this is what I wrote about him on a different thread...

Only problem I see with this Diego, if true, is the club getting him a work permit.

That Allan Rodrigues de Souza has been on loan for a couple of seasons now because we're struggling to get a work permit for him to play here and he's a year older.

I also know he's currently back at the club through having a shoulder injury!
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #8: Jun 19, 2018 04:17:26 am
      Only problem I see with this Diego, if true, is the club getting him a work permit.

That Allan Rodrigues de Souza has been on loan for a couple of seasons now because we're struggling to get a work permit for him to play here and he's a year older.

I could be wrong but the club could appeal to The FA to grant him a permit.

His fee, wages and inclusion in the extended Brazil WC squad could make him an exception to the initial permit process.
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,104 posts | 1275 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #9: Jun 19, 2018 08:03:23 am
      Never heard of the kid but if he's valued at £43 million at such a young age he must be pretty F***ing good? I like the thought of us acquiring more South American players, not only are they very skilful, they are tough bas**rds too.

If Klopp actually wants him then that's good enough for me.
      Billo
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,601 posts | 855 
      Reply #10: Jun 19, 2018 09:06:17 am
      Never watched him so I can't say anything about his ability.
      But how is with work permit and so on?
      What we should do is to get the kids with potential at a very early age.
      So when they are 18 19 they have are allowed to play for us. Just a thought.
      Kopite78
      Reply #11: Jun 19, 2018 09:22:39 am
      Never watched him so I can't say anything about his ability.
      But how is with work permit and so on?
      What we should do is to get the kids with potential at a very early age.
      So when they are 18 19 they have are allowed to play for us. Just a thought.

Not really that easy though mate. I'm not sure what age you're thinking? 13?.14?
      For one there's only a small percentage of even the most talented lads at 13 or so that become good enough to play for a club like ours, and it's so hard to tell which ones, impossible to tell how they grow and develop. So do we fill our academy with 300 kids hoping 1 cones through? Or sign 5 we think are the best but none of them develop and we just wash our hands with them and release them cause they're no good for us?
      Also the likes of this lad, you can't be thinking we take a lad from South America from his family and plonk him in the north west of England at 13? And again then he doesn't develop and we release at 17 and say soz like you're on your own now..
      GegenPressClub
      • Forum Vladimir Smicer

• 187 posts | 47 
      Reply #12: Jun 19, 2018 10:08:26 am
      Paying such a high release clause for a player of such limited experience doesn't seem like sound business to me. The kid is still very raw, but yeah definitely has a lot of potential. With the departure of Coutinho, we are still severely lacking a quality midfield flair player, so I'd be happy to hear we're tracking the progress of such players.

But getting a work permit for him would be extremely unlikely. What I'd like to see is for us to have a successful two or three seasons, win some trophies, establish our renewed reputation in world football under Klopp, and then form an affiliation with a lower-table La Liga club that we could send players on loan to for a couple years in order to gain Spanish citizenship (while still being involved in a decent first team setup). I was also keen on Arthur (Melo), and apparently Liverpool have had an eye on him too, but it always makes sense for such players to desire a move to Barcelona or Madrid and co rather than a much riskier one to us. I think our board don't like such risks either.

Personally, I'd rather us target Amine Harit. He'd cost us about half as much, he is more explosive, more mature and thoughtful in his decision making, and has more good quality first team experience. And he has French citizenship.
      Billo
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,601 posts | 855 
      Reply #13: Jun 19, 2018 01:14:54 pm
      Not really that easy though mate. I'm not sure what age you're thinking? 13?.14?
      For one there's only a small percentage of even the most talented lads at 13 or so that become good enough to play for a club like ours, and it's so hard to tell which ones, impossible to tell how they grow and develop. So do we fill our academy with 300 kids hoping 1 cones through? Or sign 5 we think are the best but none of them develop and we just wash our hands with them and release them cause they're no good for us?
      Also the likes of this lad, you can't be thinking we take a lad from South America from his family and plonk him in the north west of England at 13? And again then he doesn't develop and we release at 17 and say soz like you're on your own now..

i was thinking 16-17. at that age you can see the extraordinary talent from the rest. Like i said in my pervious post. i dont know how long does it take to get a work permit. but if it takes a year or two.
      get them at 16-17 and have them ready at 19-20. its just thought tho.
      I dont know the south american club teams and who are up and upcoming. Just want us to grab the next neymar or messi.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #14: Jun 19, 2018 01:22:59 pm

I'm not entirely sure how the work permit works to be honest, but I'd say that Lucas Paquetá is on a different level to Allan Rodrigues entirely... Paquetá is already a fans favourite at the country's most supported club and was part of Brazil's extended call up for the 2018 World Cup. Allan is a total unknown in Brazil with a rather unimpressive CV to be honest.

I don't know what kind of exceptions exist to the work permit regulations but I'd guess it would be far easier to get one to a high profile player like Lucas than someone like Allan
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #15: Jun 19, 2018 02:21:23 pm
      I'm not entirely sure how the work permit works to be honest, but I'd say that Lucas Paquetá is on a different level to Allan Rodrigues entirely... Paquetá is already a fans favourite at the country's most supported club and was part of Brazil's extended call up for the 2018 World Cup. Allan is a total unknown in Brazil with a rather unimpressive CV to be honest.

I don't know what kind of exceptions exist to the work permit regulations but I'd guess it would be far easier to get one to a high profile player like Lucas than someone like Allan

Not totally up on the rules myself bud, plus there is the factor of Brexit which needs to be taken into account as well.

I reckon you're going into the realms of fantasy because he plays for Flamengo currently ;) :laugh:
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #16: Jun 19, 2018 02:42:49 pm
      Disappointed that this link has been rubbished by the 'journos' !
      GegenPressClub
      • Forum Vladimir Smicer

• 187 posts | 47 
      Reply #17: Jun 19, 2018 03:49:05 pm

My understanding is that a player must meet a required percentage of games played at international level in the last 2 years (1 year for U21):
      FIFA Ranking 1-10: 30% and above
      FIFA Ranking 11-20: 45% and above
      FIFA Ranking 21-30: 60% and above
      FIFA Ranking 31-50: 75% and above

If a player fails to meet such requirements an appeal can be lodged, but before a subjective review can be carried out, the transfer needs to meet certain financial criteria, plus possibly some assessment of games played already for their club.

I think the financial criteria that is assessed in the appeal is things like transfer fee and wages. The fee must be in a certain top percentage of fees paid by clubs in PL, and the wages must be in a certain top percentage of wages paid to players at a club.

The purpose is to only encourage appeals for players that club's are prepared to back their decision to acquire an apparently league improving talent by actually paying them as such themselves. It's meant to discourage clubs from stockpiling young foreign talent for cheap at the expense of the development of homegrown youngsters.

When it came down to it, we'd probably have to pay the kid 100k+ a week for a transfer fee of 40+ mil to even have a chance to win the appeal. If I was a lesser-paid first team player like, say, Andy Robertson, I'd have quite the shits if Liverpool forked that out for such an unproven prospect.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #18: Jun 19, 2018 04:03:39 pm
      Also, a player can't sign his first professional contract for a club out of country until he is 18. They put this in 10-15 years ago afer reports about African and South American players getting signed by the handful by Spanish and Italian clubs, then they were releasing these kids after so long and not even getting them a ticket  home. EU member state players had an exception but not sure where that is now for English clubs.
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,104 posts | 1275 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #19: Jun 19, 2018 04:31:43 pm
      What requirements are there for international footballers to have work permits?

International footballers and the FA Premier League

The Football Association Premier League is one of the most cosmopolitan football leagues in the world, with players from around the globe plying their trade in England. The way the League has shaped up since its inception in the early 90s has been that most of the players would be from the home nations, the only foreigners coming from Europe. Occasionally, an African or South American player would emerge – but this was not the norm.

Today, there are huge numbers of players from Africa, South America and even Asia, in addition to the numbers of European players. However, because some foreign players can be procured for cheaper transfer fees than home grown talent – many clubs in the lower divisions of English football are turning their attentions and transfer budgets to foreign players.

Free movement of workers

As a member of the European Union, workers can move freely between European Union Member States without the need for work permits and visas. Footballers are regarded as ‘workers’ for these purposes and therefore have EU treaty rights of free movement. With the impending Brexit, free movement may be curtailed but this may not be for a few years.

With this free movement of workers, a football club in England can procure the services of a EU footballer without the need to apply for a work permit.

The Bosman Decision

The Bosman decision more than 20 years ago has also enabled players from within the EU to move freely between clubs based in EU Member States when they are not under contract with any club. The ruling barred any restrictions on foreign EU players within national leagues, and allowed players within the EU to move to another club at the end of a contract -without a transfer fee being paid. The effect has been freer movement of players to the lower leagues of English football.

But what about non-EU footballers?

Which players do need work permits?

Footballers from outside the EU must still obtain a work permit if they wish to play for English football clubs. Every non-EU footballer must successfully apply for a Governing Body Endorsement (GBE) with the FA before the Home Office will consider issuing a work permit.

The system has recently been tightened and now only non-EEA players who are internationally established at the highest level, and whose employment will make a significant contribution to the development of their sport at the highest level, are allowed to play in the UK. One of the reasons for the rule change was that only 58% of football players who were given work visas played any top-flight football in their second season.

What are the criteria which will be used?

Until 2015, football players needed to have played in at least 75% of their country’s senior international matches over the previous two years to play in the UK. Eligibility for a GBE now depends on a national team’s FIFA ranking, as follows:

Official FIFA Ranking   Required % of international matches in past 2 yrs

FIFA 1-10           30% and above
      FIFA 11-20   45% and above
      FIFA 21-30   60% and above
      FIFA 31-50   75% and above

In the case of players aged 21 or under at the time of application, the period is reduced to one year. The aim is to make it easier for young, outstanding talent to grow their game in the UK.

If a club’s application is rejected, there is an appeals process. The Exceptions Panel is the appeals body which will consider, on a points based system, the player’s experience and value before deciding whether the player can join the club, regardless of their failed application. A stricter assessment of relevant objective criteria will now be applied in an appeal.

Who has to submit the application?

Technically, it is the player’s responsibly but invariably it is the club wishing to sign a player who will apply for a work permit, and it must agree to sponsor that player to be in the UK. The club will issue a certificate of sponsorship which must then be submitted to the relevant FA for it to consider a GBE. If it is refused, the club can appeal (see above). If a GBE is issued, an application for a work permit can then be made.

What’s the player’s immigration status?

A non-EU football player can apply for a tier two or tier five work permit, the relevant tier depending on his grasp of the English language. Under tier 2, the player can stay in the UK for three years with a possible extension for another two years. He must, however, have 70 immigration points (50 for an FA endorsement; 10 for proving he has sufficient funding to stay in the UK; and 10 in satisfaction of the English language requirements).

Alternatively, under tier 5, a player can only stay for one year. However, he can sit an English language test and, if satisfactory, can then apply for tier two status.

What happens if a club wishes to retain a player, or renew his contract after the initial contract expires?

If a player does not have a valid work permit he cannot play for the club until a valid work permit is in place. If the club wishes to retain the services of the player, it must therefore apply for an extension before the permit expires. If the player meets the required criteria it will be granted for the period of the player’s contract. If the player does not meet the criteria the club can appeal.

If the club wants to renew a player’s contract, it will need to apply for another work permit as above.

Click Here For Link To Site For Further Information

Quick Reply