Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

New Goalkeeper Thread?

Read 40900 times
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Re: New Goalkeeper Thread?
      Reply #69: Jul 11, 2018 05:46:14 am
      As much as he’s sh*te, selling makes no sense for us or him. It’d break him permanently and we’d get F**k all anyway.

Sell Mignolet, grab a proper keeper and let Karius rebuild his game and mentality on the training pitch.

But the most important thing is BUY A NEW KEEPER.
      GegenPressClub
      • Forum Vladimir Smicer

• 187 posts | 47 
      Reply #70: Jul 11, 2018 07:51:43 am
      Once again, focus and judgement. When Karius has anything more than a split-second to think, his poor focus and judgement come into play. If goalkeeping was just constant instinctual reflex saves, he'd be fine, but it's so much more, and until he addresses it by being brutally hard on himself, seeing a sports psychologist, and adjusting his training to sharpen that focus and drill that judgement in, then he'll continue to be a liability more often than other decent keepers in those situations.

If we can't secure a top 5 keeper this year, then we just need to bring in another body or two and let them sink or swim. When Pope came in for Heaton at Burnley, he didn't just not sink but swam quite well. He didn't have a big price tag or pedigree. But he showed good focus and judgement, and with our improved midfield, I'd happily settle for that being enough for us right now.
      tomx
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,280 posts | 235 
      Reply #71: Jul 11, 2018 07:59:59 am
      We will not win PL with Karius in goal...its simple mathematic.

sign oblak and we will be real thing.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #72: Jul 11, 2018 03:16:59 pm
      I will never be able to forget that Champions League final and I'm pretty sure he won't, either, and as much as I feel sorry for him in a sense, neither will the rest of the world. Can he deal with that constant pressure? I'm not too confident in that.

I have never been a big fan even before the final and never jumped into the bandwagon (just like with Moreno earlier in the season), and now the question marks are bigger than ever.

As much as people like to pretend knowing what Klopp thinks about goalkeepers, his actions show us the following: 1. he signed Karius to be our number 1 (for he was a started in the initial games of the season when we signed him); 2. he was unhappy with Karius performances, for he dropped Karius for a significant period of time; 3. he most likely is looking for an upgrade.

So really not even the "good enough for Klopp, good enough for me" type of comment really stands up to scrutiny. He might not be the most ruthless of managers especially when it comes to keepers but I doubt he's happy with this situation.

Diego for once I hope you're right ;-)
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,595 posts | 3839 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #73: Jul 11, 2018 03:48:21 pm
      If we do things right in the transfer window (yeah I know, I know)
      Mignolet moves on. LFC signs a player that becomes starting 11.
      Karius takes time to rebuild himself. I'm serious. His pre-season looks like a lad whose head is totally gone.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,144 posts | 4897 
      Reply #74: Jul 11, 2018 07:58:04 pm
      As much as he’s sh*te, selling makes no sense for us or him. It’d break him permanently and we’d get F**k all anyway.

Sell Mignolet, grab a proper keeper and let Karius rebuild his game and mentality on the training pitch.

But the most important thing is BUY A NEW KEEPER.

We will buy a keeper mate, I'm sure of it.

It might not be a big name but I've a feeling it'll be a slightly older experienced keeper who will take Mignolets place in the squad and be ready if Karius isn't up to it.
      GegenPressClub
      • Forum Vladimir Smicer

• 187 posts | 47 
      Reply #75: Jul 11, 2018 09:44:37 pm
      It's crazy that England almost make it into the WC final with the Everton keeper in goals, while Liverpool have... well, a perpetual mess.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #76: Jul 11, 2018 10:40:02 pm
      We will buy a keeper mate, I'm sure of it.

It might not be a big name but I've a feeling it'll be a slightly older experienced keeper who will take Mignolets place in the squad and be ready if Karius isn't up to it.

What do you mean IF Karius isn't up to it, he clearly isn't.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,475 posts | 4821 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #77: Jul 12, 2018 07:12:56 pm
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,796 posts | 2447 
      Reply #78: Jul 12, 2018 07:16:31 pm

Hope Ward gets his chance can't be easy watching those other two numbskulls get so much game time.

But still if we don't sign a quality keeper soon it's total madness.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #79: Jul 12, 2018 07:16:41 pm

I must admit, I thought we'd be going into the new season with a new 1st choice, but I didn't expect that keeper to be Ward. Just another sideways step if it happens. Migs to Karius to Migs to Karius and now to Ward. Time to stop messing about and just get this position sorted at long last. We were muddling through with CBs until we took the punt and paid out big for VVD and I thought we'd have taken the same approach with the keeper given how much we've benefited by bringing in a top class CB.
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #80: Jul 12, 2018 07:40:57 pm
      I must admit, I thought we'd be going into the new season with a new 1st choice, but I didn't expect that keeper to be Ward. Just another sideways step if it happens. Migs to Karius to Migs to Karius and now to Ward. Time to stop messing about and just get this position sorted at long last. We were muddling through with CBs until we took the punt and paid out big for VVD and I thought we'd have taken the same approach with the keeper given how much we've benefited by bringing in a top class CB.

If you can't get who you want then it's either going to be sideways or down.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,173 posts | 4402 
      Reply #81: Jul 12, 2018 07:42:49 pm

A bit odd that Danny has all of a sudden shown something to impress Klopp where he has failed in the last 3 years!

bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,497 posts | 1644 
      • YNWA
      Reply #82: Jul 12, 2018 07:44:30 pm
      Ward hasn't been good enough to get hardly any time so far.
      Hard to see how all of a sudden he's ready to be our no.1
      Not looking forward listening to excuses for staying with our current guys when we obviously need a quality signing.
      CT_LFC

• 6,800 posts | 1399 
      Reply #83: Jul 12, 2018 07:44:39 pm
      A bit odd that Danny has all of a sudden shown something to impress Klopp where he has failed in the last 3 years!

I don't think that's true. By all accounts, his performance at Huddersfield was very well thought of. Why the heck did we keep him on the bench all last season i do not understand, however.
      Kopite78
      Reply #84: Jul 12, 2018 07:48:49 pm
      If you can't get who you want then it's either going to be sideways or down.

Well that's quite clearly bollocks
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #85: Jul 12, 2018 07:51:40 pm

Is it?...I don't think so.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,796 posts | 2447 
      Reply #86: Jul 12, 2018 07:52:20 pm

Exactly.

There are plenty of keepers out there that would instantly improve on what we have.

I'm still pissed though we didn't sign Pickford when we had the chance.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #87: Jul 12, 2018 07:54:33 pm

Oh FFS, is there a clause in Jurgens contract that says he is not allowed to sign a good GK or something.
      Kopite78
      Reply #88: Jul 12, 2018 08:00:35 pm

Of course it is because if your line is true you're suggesting we have the second best keeper in the world

Ie utter bollocks
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #89: Jul 12, 2018 08:07:13 pm
      Exactly.

There are plenty of keepers out there that would instantly improve on what we have.

I'm still pissed though we didn't sign Pickford when we had the chance.

Of course it is because if your line is true you're suggesting we have the second best keeper in the world

Ie utter bollocks

You take out the top top goalkeepers (that are unattainable) and past them the entire universe is all same same....it's all blah.

Statistically it's irrelevant, if it was all statistics then Karius is a top-half goalkeeper in the PL.. but it's mental not physical.

If it was me...I go get Kasper to just have a steady hand back there that can do the simple things.

Statistically is Kasper or Pickford a better keeper than Karius?...doubt it both of them are sideways stop-gap moves.

Is Oblak better?...1000%...is Allison better?  Maybe (doesn't impress me) but worth 60 million?

So if the manager say's I only want better than what I have? but you can't get Oblak or Allison...then anything else is sideways in his mind.

Personally I would get rid of all 3 keepers...bring in Kasper to steady the ship, and new GK from the continent that has potential (another Karius type) and bring up one of the kids from the academy to be #3.

Again I would go get any keeper (even a sideways move) to just start fresh...Manager is not going to go spend big money on a keeper unless he gets the one he absolutely wants.
      trebor12
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,034 posts | 69 
      Reply #90: Jul 12, 2018 09:39:14 pm
      I'll be glad to see Danny Ward given a chance but he must be afforded the same faith and time as what Karius has been given. Being a fellow Welsh man its great news for Danny and our national team if he gets his chance but time will tell and he must be given time.
      GegenPressClub
      • Forum Vladimir Smicer

• 187 posts | 47 
      Reply #91: Jul 13, 2018 10:43:57 am
      If De Gea left Man Utd, and Sergio Romero was injured (or just no longer there either), would they start Joel Pereira for the season?

If Courtois left Chelsea, and Caballero was injured (or just no longer there either), would they start Marcin Bulka for the season?

We get the point, right? Look at all the top clubs (and many of the lesser clubs) and none would persist with such an experience as we have had the last few years.

Man City had Hart, but then got Bravo, and then Ederson. They did what they had to do to find one that worked.

Our mates, Everton, didn't just persist with the mediocrity of Robles and Stekelenburg, but got Pickford.

Newcastle had their own Karius/Mignolet experience with Darlow and Elliot, but didn't endlessly back them, and eventually brought in Dubravka.

Arsenal are not risking another deteriorating year from Cech and moved quickly for Leno.

Us? Um... either sticking by Karius or giving Ward a shot??

Quick Reply