Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

New Goalkeeper Thread?

Read 40579 times
      CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Re: New Goalkeeper Thread?
      Reply #23: Jun 22, 2018 01:47:00 am
      Unfortunately I think you're right. Read somewhere earlier, can't remember where or if it's accurate but it said that Klopp has only spent a total of £5mill on keepers throughout his management career to date. Not had chance to see if is accurate but at the same time, it doesn't actually surprise me if it is given how long he stuck with Migs and how many chances he gave him.

And most of that is probably Karius. Weidenfeller arrived at Dortmund in 2002, long before Klopp, and i believe was the goalie during all of his tenure there prior to coming to Liverpool. No idea who the goalie was at Mainz, but considering how small they were/are it could not have been an expensive one.
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #24: Jun 22, 2018 06:29:52 am
      I fully expect Karius to be our No1 next season. Migs will likely move on with a back up coming in to replace him.
      Norfolk Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,154 posts | 499 
      Reply #25: Jun 22, 2018 08:10:31 am
      Yep.

Pretty confident we'll buy a keeper but those thinking Karius will  you gone will be disappointed.

I've a feeling Karius will cement himself as No 1 next season as well.

I wish he would put cement boots on and go for a swim in the Mersey.  ;D
      Jimsouse67

• 9,275 posts | 1436 
      Reply #26: Jun 22, 2018 08:46:37 am
      Karius will either comeback much much better and mature or he will be a complete mess and the likes of Ratboy will be waiting for his first mistake to pounce on him. Therefore its imperative for Liverpool supporters to get behind this lad as he is going to need it.
      This all day,we all know come the first game of the season the media & F***ing sky will be banging on about his performance in the European cup final & the last thing he needs is for some of our supporters to be giving him loads to,need to be getting behind the lad
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #27: Jun 22, 2018 02:22:54 pm
      This all day,we all know come the first game of the season the media & f**king sky will be banging on about his performance in the European cup final & the last thing he needs is for some of our supporters to be giving him loads to,need to be getting behind the lad

Why take the risk, basically If he has a sh*t start to the season and loses his confidence again then we will be left with Migs. We have to bring in another keeper, at least one to challenge Karius if not replace him.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #28: Jun 22, 2018 03:22:50 pm
      Think Migs will be long gone before the season starts. If we get a keeper new to this league the likes of Ratboy will be waiting in the wings to have a pop at their first mistake of the season.
      As much as I believe Jürgen is extremely loyal to his players he is not stupid and if he honestly believes Karius cannot be trusted he will be gone or at least become number 2 again.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #29: Jun 23, 2018 05:29:42 am
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #30: Jun 23, 2018 09:58:03 am

So its Allison or no one then? This sounds like a familiar story :-(
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #31: Jun 23, 2018 11:02:57 am
      Any goalkeeper coming to Liverpool will be under intense pressure to succeed and any mistake will be magnified many times by the pundits. At the end of last season the "experts" had stopped talking about our defence and our goalkeeper as they played really well in the EPL.
      We watched DeGea make a howler the other day not better not worse than Karius but he would save that 999 time out of 1000.
      We need to let Jürgen get on with it this constant clamour to buy the most expensive goalkeeper in the world isn't going to happen whilst we have Jürgen as manager.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #32: Jun 23, 2018 03:26:25 pm
      Any goalkeeper coming to Liverpool will be under intense pressure to succeed and any mistake will be magnified many times by the pundits. At the end of last season the "experts" had stopped talking about our defence and our goalkeeper as they played really well in the EPL.
      We watched DeGea make a howler the other day not better not worse than Karius but he would save that 999 time out of 1000.
      We need to let Jürgen get on with it this constant clamour to buy the most expensive goalkeeper in the world isn't going to happen whilst we have Jürgen as manager.

Really, did De Gea throw the ball to an attacker 1 metre away from him, I must have missed that, How about trying to punch a ball coming form 50 yards out? there is a HUGE difference between de Gea's fumble and the F**k ups Karius made and makes.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #33: Jun 23, 2018 03:53:30 pm
      Really, did De Gea throw the ball to an attacker 1 metre away from him, I must have missed that, How about trying to punch a ball coming form 50 yards out? there is a HUGE difference between de Gea's fumble and the f**k ups Karius made and makes.

No, he just made a howler on the biggest stage in world football. As for Karius, how many times has he done that? How many times has Karius pulled us out of the fire with a brilliant save in the last six months? The two are worlds apart. Keepers make mistakes. If Karius had come in straight after Reina people would be more tolerant but tolerance has been worn away after four years of Mignolet. If we can upgrade on Karius we should, not because he made a mistake, but because we're getting an upgrade, the same way we should upgrade on any player. But upgrading does not equate to a flawless keeper coming in that will never make a mistake, including inexplicably chucking the ball on to an opposition Striker's foot. sh*t happens, accept that and judge Karius - or whomever might come in - by what they do over the course of a season rather than in one match.

At the end of the day it's Jürgen's decision, not yours, and if his decision is to keep the faith with Karius then you need to get behind the lad because this "ooohing and arring" every time the ball comes to him isn't helpful to his confidence and destroying our own Keeper's confidence is self defeating. We're supporters, let's support for once.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #34: Jun 27, 2018 05:50:10 pm
      Cho hyun-woo to replace Simon?
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #35: Jul 05, 2018 02:43:07 pm
      Apologies if this has been discussed recently, I haven't been on the forum much of late.

I saw yesterday from the echo and Pearce I think that klopp is going to persist with Karius next season.

I've got to say if that's true then I'm bitterly disappointed. The goalkeeping position should be our top priority this summer. It has been a major issue for almost a decade now.

Despite his shocker in the final, Karius is a big upgrade on Mignolet and he doesn't bring anywhere near the amount of chaos that Simon does, but the fact remains he choked in the biggest game of his career and when it mattered most. He was a huge reason why we don't have six European cups.

Would anybody be confident of going into big matches next season with him in goal? Another cup final? A title decider perhaps?.  More importantly, will Karius be confident in himself? He is under huge pressure now and any slight mistake the Kop will be all over him.

I understand not wasting or spending money for the sake of it. If you offered me Karius for the season on 40m for butland then I'd stick with Karius because the upgrade is very little, if there is an upgrade at all. 

But surely there is a big upgrade on what we have which we can comfortably afford.

heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #36: Jul 05, 2018 03:40:02 pm
      Apologies if this has been discussed recently, I haven't been on the forum much of late.

I saw yesterday from the echo and Pearce I think that klopp is going to persist with Karius next season.

I've got to say if that's true then I'm bitterly disappointed. The goalkeeping position should be our top priority this summer. It has been a major issue for almost a decade now.

Despite his shocker in the final, Karius is a big upgrade on Mignolet and he doesn't bring anywhere near the amount of chaos that Simon does, but the fact remains he choked in the biggest game of his career and when it mattered most. He was a huge reason why we don't have six European cups.

Would anybody be confident of going into big matches next season with him in goal? Another cup final? A title decider perhaps?.  More importantly, will Karius be confident in himself? He is under huge pressure now and any slight mistake the Kop will be all over him.

I understand not wasting or spending money for the sake of it. If you offered me Karius for the season on 40m for butland then I'd stick with Karius because the upgrade is very little, if there is an upgrade at all. 

But surely there is a big upgrade on what we have which we can comfortably afford.

I agree, I will also be extremely disappointed if we don't upgrade on Karius and start the season with him between the sticks.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #37: Jul 05, 2018 03:46:35 pm

I’d be much more confident going into a final with Karius and Mo than some other keeper (Allison, Oblak) and no Mo.

So if we can sign someone to provide quality cover for Mo, I’m ok with Karius as #1 with the caveat that he bounces back.

HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #38: Jul 05, 2018 03:51:40 pm
      I’d be much more confident going into a final with Karius and Mo than some other keeper (Allison, Oblak) and no Mo.

So if we can sign someone to provide quality cover for Mo, I’m ok with Karius as #1 with the caveat that he bounces back.

We can't go into every game with the mentality of out scoring our opponents though. Isn't that what ultimately cost us the title with Brendan?

Our keeper will be tested several times during the season and they will be under huge pressure to perform, even more so after what happened in Kiev.

I think it's essential that we bring a keeper in and if Allison and oblak aren't in our budget then look elsewhere. There must be somebody somewhere who we can afford who is a big upgrade on what we have.

bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #39: Jul 05, 2018 03:52:40 pm
      Jürgen has never put much value in to goalkeepers.

And that could be the reason he has never won a European cup final.

I hoped he had changed his mindset but if he sticks with Karius then clearly he has not.
      CT_LFC

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #40: Jul 05, 2018 04:14:37 pm
      Jürgen has never put much value in to goalkeepers.

And that could be the reason he has never won a European cup final.

I hoped he had changed his mindset but if he sticks with Karius then clearly he has not.

Yea, that Dudek guy was an amazing goalkeeper....
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #41: Jul 05, 2018 04:20:47 pm
      We can't go into every game with the mentality of out scoring our opponents though. Isn't that what ultimately cost us the title with Brendan?

Our keeper will be tested several times during the season and they will be under huge pressure to perform, even more so after what happened in Kiev.

I think it's essential that we bring a keeper in and if Allison and oblak aren't in our budget then look elsewhere. There must be somebody somewhere who we can afford who is a big upgrade on what we have.

I thought Karius did pretty well for the most part, but unfortunately he had a clanger of all clangers at the worst possible time. I do think there may have been some extenuating circumstances (the possible concussion) and the pressure was certainly ramped up when Mo went off. With Mo still on the pitch, I think that game plays out much differently and everyone is happy with Karius. I think perspective is needed and I've a feeling that's why Jürgen isn't ready to just toss him out. We may not outscore every team, but in those games where our defense doesn't hold up, I'd certainly like to have as many scoring options as possible at our disposal.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #42: Jul 05, 2018 05:22:12 pm
      Yea, that Dudek guy was an amazing goalkeeper....

Id argue that Dudek was better than Karius, its astonishing how dumbed down we have become after years of Migs.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #43: Jul 05, 2018 06:02:45 pm
      Id argue that Dudek was better than Karius, its astonishing how dumbed down we have become after years of Migs.
      Didn't like any goalkeeper we had since Dudek really, not even Reina. Karius was starting to grow on me until the CL final. I am not sure how much was concussion though. Karius career probably got Ramosed.
      beardo number 7
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 343 posts | 96 
      Reply #44: Jul 05, 2018 06:13:36 pm

I agree,if we don’t get another goalkeeper we ain’t winning anything again
      CT_LFC

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #45: Jul 05, 2018 06:32:07 pm

Quick, which goalie would you prefer going with the following season after having these numbers the previous one:

Goalie A: 19 games started, 14 goals against, 10 clean sheets
      Goalie B: 24 games started, 23 goals against, 5 clean sheets

Quick Reply