Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

New Goalkeeper Thread?

Read 40584 times
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Re: New Goalkeeper Thread?
      Reply #92: Jul 13, 2018 11:07:24 am
      If De Gea left Man Utd, and Sergio Romero was injured (or just no longer there either), would they start Joel Pereira for the season?

No they’d play Lee Grant.

I do get your point though.
      GegenPressClub
      • Forum Vladimir Smicer

• 187 posts | 47 
      Reply #93: Jul 13, 2018 11:36:36 am
      No they’d play Lee Grant.

I do get your point though.

Haha smart ass. I forgot they signed the ol' fella.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #94: Jul 13, 2018 12:09:13 pm
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #95: Jul 13, 2018 12:50:14 pm
      Ward is the same age as Karius. I’d like to think that by now, both of them would have cemented themselves as a very good keeper, it’s not like they are youngsters anymore. Instead they are mid twenties and we are literally just opting for one of them in the hope he won’t be as bad as the other. To have spent the entire season as the clubs 3rd choice, very rarely even so much as making the bench and making just 1 appearance I think says it all that we shouldn’t get our hopes up with Ward. It’s not exactly like he was competing with De Gea and Oblak. Couldn’t get a look in ahead of Migs and Karius but we are now looking like going with him as 1st choice.

If we don’t win anything next season then it will be because we didn’t sign a top keeper.

I’m all for supporting Klopps decisions, but it doesn’t mean we have to agree with them.

Would be gutted if come the end of next season we are trophyless yet again because of our keepers.

5mill spent on about 10 keepers. Why do we keep neglecting our most underinvested area of the team?
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #96: Jul 13, 2018 01:54:13 pm
      I'm ok with giving Ward a chance but if he's another flop come January we will end up paying a fortune to panic sign a keeper.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #97: Jul 13, 2018 02:40:02 pm
      Are we really supposed to believe that Ward has magically become a great keeper overnight. I just cannot understand why we don't get a new keeper, please FSG overrule Jürgen on this one and INSIST he buys a new keeper.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #98: Jul 13, 2018 02:52:28 pm
      Ward is the same age as Karius. I’d like to think that by now, both of them would have cemented themselves as a very good keeper, it’s not like they are youngsters anymore. Instead they are mid twenties and we are literally just opting for one of them in the hope he won’t be as bad as the other. To have spent the entire season as the clubs 3rd choice, very rarely even so much as making the bench and making just 1 appearance I think says it all that we shouldn’t get our hopes up with Ward. It’s not exactly like he was competing with De Gea and Oblak. Couldn’t get a look in ahead of Migs and Karius but we are now looking like going with him as 1st choice.

If we don’t win anything next season then it will be because we didn’t sign a top keeper.

I’m all for supporting Klopps decisions, but it doesn’t mean we have to agree with them.

Would be gutted if come the end of next season we are trophyless yet again because of our keepers.

5mill spent on about 10 keepers. Why do we keep neglecting our most underinvested area of the team?

Klopp has lost 8 out of 9 cup finals so far in his managerial career and had sh*t keepers for the lot.

Coincidence?
      Kopite78
      Reply #99: Jul 13, 2018 02:54:29 pm
      Klopp has lost 8 out of 9 cup finals so far in his managerial career and had sh*t keepers for the lot.

Coincidence?

I guess they were only sh*t for the finals then?
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #100: Jul 13, 2018 02:57:19 pm
      I guess they were only sh*t for the finals then?

No just more sh*t in the finals.
      Kopite78
      Reply #101: Jul 13, 2018 03:14:44 pm
      No just more sh*t in the finals.

You get yourself too wound up by it all. Window is still open, world cup isn't finished.
      There's more going on than you know and you need to learn to try to read between the lines of things that are released and look at the quotes from a different angle

Loads of time yet, stop getting yourself all wound up it does you no favours
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #102: Jul 13, 2018 04:15:12 pm

Coincidence?

It’s definitely one area he seems very reluctant to significantly strengthen.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #103: Jul 13, 2018 06:54:33 pm
      You get yourself too wound up by it all. Window is still open, world cup isn't finished.
      There's more going on than you know and you need to learn to try to read between the lines of things that are released and look at the quotes from a different angle

I really hope you are right.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #104: Jul 13, 2018 07:01:11 pm

Didn't all the usual reliable faces say klopp was sticking with Karius about a week ago though?

Worrying if true
      Kopite78
      Reply #105: Jul 13, 2018 07:20:01 pm
      Didn't all the usual reliable faces say klopp was sticking with Karius about a week ago though?

Worrying if true

But this is what I mean mate

The whole 'club insiders' thing seems to have slowed to a halt over the last couple of years, none of them had a clue about Virgil or Fabinho before they were pretty much through the door

So my take on them now being used to peddle the story on first Karius being number 1 and bow Ward being given a shot at number 1 strikes me more of us using them to get stories out in the press that we aren't desperate for a keeper and we are relaxed and happy.
      Basically to counter the constant talk from agents and clubs regarding other keepers in an attempt to take advantage of our 'desperate need' for a new number one

How many times have we read this summer Roma being mentioned in leaking prices for Alisson? Last week or so something was said along the lines of
      £65m for Alisson? Liverpool can have him for that

So for me we are just killing the stories and the desperation in the press in order to not be taken to the cleaners on price and the club are using these 'trusted journos' to put that out there for them

It's all part of the negotiation game for me

I'm very relaxed, I believe we will defo bring a new keeper in, we just don't want the world to know our desperation... to feed off the Karius champions league final performance and roast us for cash
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,088 posts | 1046 
      Reply #106: Jul 14, 2018 06:39:46 pm
      Is Yann Sommer not being talked about as being shopped around? Very impressed with him this WC.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #107: Jul 14, 2018 08:06:53 pm
      Is Yann Sommer not being talked about as being shopped around? Very impressed with him this WC.

I think he joined Dortmund couple of weeks ago?

Edit: nevermind, it was Marwin Hitz!!!
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #108: Jul 14, 2018 08:32:42 pm
      Don't get me wrong, not having a dig at Klopp.. but I think if he doesn't get a new keeper and Ward and Karius don't perform.. I don't know if he will be here for 2019-2020. No manager has a free reign to ignore the goalkeeping area. It's vital Klopp atleast has a go at trying to get a new keeper, because if we lose another final in the same fashion as the last one it will be indefensible.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #109: Jul 15, 2018 02:21:24 am
      Don't get me wrong, not having a dig at Klopp.. but I think if he doesn't get a new keeper and Ward and Karius don't perform.. I don't know if he will be here for 2019-2020. No manager has a free reign to ignore the goalkeeping area. It's vital Klopp atleast has a go at trying to get a new keeper, because if we lose another final in the same fashion as the last one it will be indefensible.

It's difficult to argue with this.

We've progressed under Jürgen no question and we're still moving in the right direction under his leadership but his loyality to certain players and his belief that he can polish every single turd is rather irritating.

This is his fourth season with us now and is this his sixth transfer window? If we still have goalkeeping problems next season then he is solely responsible.
      GegenPressClub
      • Forum Vladimir Smicer

• 187 posts | 47 
      Reply #110: Jul 15, 2018 02:23:15 am

I'm a massive Klopp fan, but (unlike many here) I'm also an objective one. But goalkeeping disasters won't get Klopp fired if we're still playing scintillating football and closer to winning the title than last season. No other manager is going to get our squad closer to Pep's, so who would we replace him with?

If such a disaster as you describe eventuated, clearly club ownership wouldn't have to twist Klopp's arm to bring in a worthy keeper. And if we play like we did last season, we'll have more world class keepers (or at least potential ones), more keen to join us challenging for titles.
      CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #111: Jul 15, 2018 02:27:24 am
      The overreactions going on are quite amusing.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,049 posts | 6294 
      Reply #112: Jul 15, 2018 02:44:30 am

I think tedious or ignorant might be the words you are searching for.
      redkop63
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #113: Jul 15, 2018 07:47:14 am
      Well said, a goalkeeper is to stop shots a
      Hello, this is my first post, Goalkeepers!! as a red since 1964, I have seen some great keepers at our club.
      So despite our managers support and loyalty to L K. for me he is just not good enough.

JK has said he wants to win trophies, sorry JK you wont win with a dodgy keeper if you were willing to wait and spend 75m for V.V.D, how is he going to feel along with his fellow defenders in the new season knowing Karius is behind them, so far only Fabino has been bought for 43m a bargin, its what we have needed for a long time a strong defensive midfielder, come on Jürgen, you must know deep down that we cant afford Karius in goal, maybe you feel sympathy for him as a fellow countryman,but that will not be professional, and he knows it, he is quoted as saying no other keepers have impressed, is that a serious comment. oblak is 25 the worlds best 88m release fee,

go get him before its too late, with him in goal, to go with all our talent, what a Team we would be,

premier league and champions league would be in our sites and the money earned would pay off the 88m in double time. So are F.S.G. really serious to make us a top class sucessful Club, or a good one that can make them a regular profit. best regards Peter red in all. 

Well said, a goalkeeper is to stop shots and avoid conceding goals. if a goalkeeper can;t do such a basic thing required of a goalkeeper but instead helping the ball into our goal time and again, what's the point of having a goalkeeper? I would think differently, it's better for Karius to go now as things will heal with time, otherwise  he will be under the microscope from now on, and every mistake he makes will be greatly be magnified and it will only damage his confidence further while I don;t see him being a top class keeper in the very near future and it' will probably going  to cost us dearly again at those crucial games. How about team spirit? Have all the players forgiven Karius or that they are still cursing him silently for the mistakes in the CL final. Or are they playing under silent protest that will affect their spirit and teamwork? Karius is simply not ready for the world stage, he's at best a rookie at the moment. I would think get an experience keeper in and let Karius be the backup and learn from the more experience goalkeeper.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #114: Jul 15, 2018 10:24:04 am

Are you sure you aren't a fan of an opponent and a massive WUM, why else would you want us to continue with a crap keeper.
      I'm glad you find it so amusing though.

Quick Reply