Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

UEFA Champions League 2018-19 Winners Liverpool:

Read 89381 times
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Re: UEFA Champions League 2018-19
      Reply #299: Feb 20, 2019 10:29:41 pm
      How did Shalke concede 2 at home against a 10 men Citeh?

The German league has gone to absolute sh*t.

I thought that then checked the table, Schalke are near the bottom of their league.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,663 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #300: Feb 20, 2019 10:36:08 pm
      Can somebody explain to me how City always gets these early goals? It's something we lack.

Simply top class  :-\
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #301: Feb 20, 2019 10:40:45 pm
      I thought that then checked the table, Schalke are near the bottom of their league.

Ah right that explains it.

Surprised City made such hard work of it then.
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,321 posts | 1016 
      Reply #302: Feb 21, 2019 08:56:38 am
      I can't lie I took some satisfaction from the fact Juve conceded two after bringing on Emre Can ;D
      He was dogshit when he came on eh?
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #303: Feb 21, 2019 09:53:04 am
      Can somebody explain to me how City always gets these early goals? It's something we lack.

They do what Liverpool did under BR when Sturridge, Suarez & Sterling were up front.
      Movement in the box. Dragging players wide. Cut backs to runners.
      They do the basics of attacking very well, and with some of the best attackers available.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #304: Feb 21, 2019 10:26:20 am
      He was dogshit when he came on eh?

He is dogshit ;D
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #305: Feb 21, 2019 02:55:44 pm
      They do what Liverpool did under BR when Sturridge, Suarez & Sterling were up front.
      Movement in the box. Dragging players wide. Cut backs to runners.
      They do the basics of attacking very well, and with some of the best attackers available.

I'd like to see that a bit more from our players, taking the ball to the byline and crossing in, its something we don't do enough of and would be a great extra attack dimension, PLUS can someone in the coaching staff please focus a bit on set pieces, especially free kicks we are F***ing dreadful at them recently!
      Kopite78
      Reply #306: Feb 21, 2019 03:25:02 pm
      I'd like to see that a bit more from our players, taking the ball to the byline and crossing in, its something we don't do enough of and would be a great extra attack dimension, PLUS can someone in the coaching staff please focus a bit on set pieces, especially free kicks we are f**king dreadful at them recently!

We've scored the most goals from set peices in the league this season 😂
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,321 posts | 1016 
      Reply #307: Feb 21, 2019 05:43:17 pm
      Yeah mate I did find that a bit unusual but that statistic doesn’t necessarily mean we are good at corners.

First of all you’ve got to consider that we likely have far more corners per game than any other team, meaning our conversion rate would not likely be anywhere near the top. I have no evidence or stats to back that up but would be very surprised if there is more than 2 teams with more corners per game than us. That’s the first point.

Second point is that not all set piece goals are corners and some of ours have come indirectly from free kicks. The one that springs to mind is Shaq’s free kick that cracked the bar and fell to Salah for a tap in. That would likely be counted as a set piece goal rather than open play. I’m not sure how many we have actually scored direct from corners.

On the subject of contentious ‘set piece’ goals I also remember Gini’s header against Spurs when Lloris makes a meal of it and Wijnaldum scores with a looping header. Another ‘set piece’ goal that has not come from a quality corner. In fact that corner was actually poor in that instance. There’s every chance we have a few of these anomalies. That’s the third point.

All I know is what my eyes tell me and that is our corners are very poor. Salah in particular rarely even beats the first man. We scored a few direct from corners earlier in the season, Sturridge in the first game of the season against West Ham and I recall Matip and Firmino both scoring headers. It has however got progressively worse. I don’t see it as a major concern but you do have to wonder why a team with the quality we have cannot hit a decent corner.
      « Last Edit: Feb 21, 2019 05:50:42 pm by ConzS »
      Kopite78
      Reply #308: Feb 21, 2019 06:45:53 pm
      Yeah mate I did find that a bit unusual but that statistic doesn’t necessarily mean we are good at corners.

First of all you’ve got to consider that we likely have far more corners per game than any other team, meaning our conversion rate would not likely be anywhere near the top. I have no evidence or stats to back that up but would be very surprised if there is more than 2 teams with more corners per game than us. That’s the first point.

Second point is that not all set piece goals are corners and some of ours have come indirectly from free kicks. The one that springs to mind is Shaq’s free kick that cracked the bar and fell to Salah for a tap in. That would likely be counted as a set piece goal rather than open play. I’m not sure how many we have actually scored direct from corners.

On the subject of contentious ‘set piece’ goals I also remember Gini’s header against Spurs when Lloris makes a meal of it and Wijnaldum scores with a looping header. Another ‘set piece’ goal that has not come from a quality corner. In fact that corner was actually poor in that instance. There’s every chance we have a few of these anomalies. That’s the third point.

All I know is what my eyes tell me and that is our corners are very poor. Salah in particular rarely even beats the first man. We scored a few direct from corners earlier in the season, Sturridge in the first game of the season against West Ham and I recall Matip and Firmino both scoring headers. It has however got progressively worse. I don’t see it as a major concern but you do have to wonder why a team with the quality we have cannot hit a decent corner.

But you'd assume the same logic to the rest of the top teams No?

Yet we've scored  100% more set peice goals than City
      40%more than Arsenal
      25% more than Spurs and Utd

Also the Salah goal I'm pretty sure would be classed as second faze and open play

You say you judge with your eyes but things like this stats are useful.. You don't watch every other team as closely as ourselves and you judge us with that distinct and in-depth knowledge
      You can't judge highlights or the odd game with the others and have the same knowledge

This is where stats on these type of situation help

And statistically we are the best in the league 🙂

(Also we are the highest for counter attack goals)
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,321 posts | 1016 
      Reply #309: Feb 21, 2019 07:09:57 pm
      But you'd assume the same logic to the rest of the top teams No?

Yet we've scored  100% more set peice goals than City
      40%more than Arsenal
      25% more than Spurs and Utd

Also the Salah goal I'm pretty sure would be classed as second faze and open play

You say you judge with your eyes but things like this stats are useful.. You don't watch every other team as closely as ourselves and you judge us with that distinct and in-depth knowledge
      You can't judge highlights or the odd game with the others and have the same knowledge

This is where stats on these type of situation help

And statistically we are the best in the league 🙂

(Also we are the highest for counter attack goals)

Have just checked and City are out in front with us second for corners per game. United, Arsenal and Spurs (the other teams you mentioned) are quite far down the list. City are quite a small team and from what I see usually go short from corners.

In fairness though I didn’t say these teams were any good so, as you said, I can’t really comment on their quality of set pieces. I’m not really concerned about them either, I’m concerned about our quality and from what I see, it’s an area that can definitely be improved upon.

Stats are useful mate but not always to be used on their own to form an argument. As for the Salah goal, I’m pretty sure it wouldn’t be classed as second phase but who really knows what they class as ‘set piece’ goals, that was my point.
      Kopite78
      Reply #310: Feb 21, 2019 07:12:10 pm

Have just checked and City are out in front with us second for corners per game. United, Arsenal and Spurs (the other teams you mentioned) are quite far down the list. City are quite a small team and from what I see usually go short from corners.

In fairness though I didn’t say these teams were any good so, as you said, I can’t really comment on their quality of set pieces. I’m not really concerned about them either, I’m concerned about our quality and from what I see, it’s an area that can definitely be improved upon.

Stats are useful mate but not always to be used on their own to form an argument. As for the Salah goal, I’m pretty sure it wouldn’t be classed as second phase but who really knows what they class as ‘set piece’ goals, that was my point.

I'm not using them on their own to form an argument
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,321 posts | 1016 
      Reply #311: Feb 21, 2019 07:22:26 pm
      I'm not using them on their own to form an argument
      Ok mate.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #312: Feb 22, 2019 08:13:28 am

I know, I saw that stat too, but for the life of me I can't remember the last time we scored form a corner or a free kick, can you? You have to admit that recently our corners and freekicks have been very poor, quite often at a freekick we just pass the ball backwards, we need to be more inventive like for example West Ham. Set Pieces are a great opportunity to be a bit clever and steal a cheap goal, like West Ham.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,021 posts | 2741 
      Reply #313: Mar 05, 2019 08:19:37 pm
      Ajax leading 2-0 in Madrid!
      Jimsouse67
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,275 posts | 1436 
      Reply #314: Mar 05, 2019 08:20:48 pm
      Come on Ajax
      siavashiva
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 807 posts | 112 
      Reply #315: Mar 05, 2019 08:22:25 pm
      F**k yeah!
      Danzel
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,305 posts | 1113 
      Reply #316: Mar 05, 2019 08:23:09 pm
      Ajax is such a great team to watch. Brilliant and perfect mix between experienced and young players.

Neres has looked quality every time I've seen him.
      siavashiva
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 807 posts | 112 
      Reply #317: Mar 05, 2019 08:24:46 pm
      Tadic still an assist king. Such a tidy player.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #318: Mar 05, 2019 08:29:50 pm
      Ajax is such a great team to watch. Brilliant and perfect mix between experienced and young players.

Neres has looked quality every time I've seen him.

Not been a regular starter until the last few weeks
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #319: Mar 05, 2019 08:35:38 pm
      I know, I saw that stat too, but for the life of me I can't remember the last time we scored form a corner or a free kick, can you? You have to admit that recently our corners and freekicks have been very poor, quite often at a freekick we just pass the ball backwards, we need to be more inventive like for example West Ham. Set Pieces are a great opportunity to be a bit clever and steal a cheap goal, like West Ham.

Watford a week ago.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,049 posts | 6294 
      Reply #320: Mar 05, 2019 08:37:03 pm
      Ajax is schooling Madrid. So hope they knock them out.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #321: Mar 05, 2019 08:49:33 pm
      Ajax is schooling Madrid. So hope they knock them out.

Such a beautiful technical team they are!!!

Quick Reply