Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Bayern [Champions League] Tue 19th Feb @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Anfield

Today is the 18th of February and on this date LFC's match record is P22 W14 D5 L3

Round of 16

Read 5567 times
      Ribapuru
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,383 posts | 1232 
      Re: Round of 16
      Reply #810: Jul 03, 2018 10:51:12 pm
      What does Sterling bring to this England side?
      Glad we won, but I think Rashford is more clinical.
      Diego LFC
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,551 posts | 2147 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #811: Jul 03, 2018 10:53:50 pm
      DanMann
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,753 posts | 442 
      Reply #812: Jul 03, 2018 10:55:39 pm
      LFCSTEVE1984
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,649 posts | 368 
      Reply #813: Jul 03, 2018 10:57:22 pm
      pathetic calling your own club captain a cheat when he was headbutted

Holding his face though? Come on mate no way a little butt like that sends you down like Tyson has just twatted you in the nose. It's embarrassing.

Especially when you watch MMA and people are taking full on kicks to the face and just carrying on like nothings happened.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish
      • Started Topic

• 9,365 posts | 1577 
      Reply #814: Jul 03, 2018 10:58:17 pm
      What does Sterling bring to this England side?
      Glad we won, but I think Rashford is more clinical.

I bet you wish you had world class Neymar in your team!!!!
      Shabs
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 22,147 posts | 2400 
      Reply #815: Jul 03, 2018 10:59:17 pm
      I'm sure I've read on this very forum that LFC should sign players who are good and the dirty arts of the game & wished some of players adopted such tactics..
      Ribapuru
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,383 posts | 1232 
      Reply #816: Jul 03, 2018 10:59:48 pm
      Hendo was like a work horse all game.
      Fantastic performance from him.. I am a big Hendo critic.
      I don't think he should be taking a penalty though.
      You never fancy him to score those.
      These high pressure situations may eventually help him to one day be able to.
      I just would rather him to score a penalty at 3-0 up just to get his penalty confidence up first.
      Diego LFC
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,551 posts | 2147 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #817: Jul 03, 2018 11:03:26 pm
      I'm sure I've read on this very forum that LFC should sign players who are good and the dirty arts of the game & wished some of players adopted such tactics..

I know...

their talent is only as good as it is because they are wankers we need a couple of wankers. No seriously we are just to nice we need a bit of nasty in the team since Stevie and Luis and Jamie have left we just lack for a want of a better word "bite"

Diego LFC
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,551 posts | 2147 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #818: Jul 03, 2018 11:05:33 pm
      I don't think he should be taking a penalty though.
      You never fancy him to score those.
      These high pressure situations may eventually help him to one day be able to.
      I just would rather him to score a penalty at 3-0 up just to get his penalty confidence up first.

Defensively he was good but he can be painfully predictable at times. He came forward at one point and I think every single person in the stadium knew he would try a cross pass and fail it, and he did just that after some reticence. I've learned to like him as a player and I love to have him in the squad, but he does have his limitations. In the right system though he's very useful.
      LFCSTEVE1984
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,649 posts | 368 
      Reply #819: Jul 03, 2018 11:08:21 pm

I'd rather have it the other way and have players who people are scared to go near because they know they'd be getting hacked down at the next chance or filled in in the tunnel.

Can you see a Vinny Jones going down holding his face from something stupid like that.
      Shabs
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 22,147 posts | 2400 
      Reply #820: Jul 03, 2018 11:09:49 pm

F***ing hell Diego..

You've gone all Columbo or is that Colombia to unearth that post.. ;D
      Diego LFC
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,551 posts | 2147 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #821: Jul 03, 2018 11:11:08 pm
      F***ing hell Diego..

You've gone all Columbo or is that Colombia to unearth that post.. ;D

;D
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 23,265 posts | 3200 
      Reply #822: Jul 03, 2018 11:13:23 pm
      Defensively he was good but he can be painfully predictable at times. He came forward at one point and I think every single person in the stadium knew he would try a cross pass and fail it, and he did just that after some reticence. I've learned to like him as a player and I love to have him in the squad, but he does have his limitations. In the right system though he's very useful.

That’s a little unfair Diego, he literally had no option besides sending a cross towards Sterling with the hopes that he would somehow get on the end of it.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish
      • Started Topic

• 9,365 posts | 1577 
      Reply #823: Jul 03, 2018 11:16:26 pm

That is pretty much Hendo in a nutshell, a work horse, a world class/exceptional work horse, same with Wijnaldum and Milner. You want at least one of them in your midfield imo.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,334 posts | 4730 
      • YNWA
      Reply #824: Jul 03, 2018 11:22:00 pm
      Acts such a hard man and the 'ultimate lad' for Leicester yet when it comes to a penalty shootout in the World Cup Vardy's nowhere to be seen.

I don't care if I'm being petty over him or the fact I don't know how England choose their penalty takers - if I sense that he's a c**t I'll say it. And he's a proper c**t.
      Diego LFC
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,551 posts | 2147 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #825: Jul 03, 2018 11:25:08 pm
      That’s a little unfair Diego, he literally had no option besides sending a cross towards Sterling with the hopes that he would somehow get on the end of it.

Maybe you're right, I just found it a bit funny at the time.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,382 posts | 1497 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #826: Jul 04, 2018 12:00:28 am
      On a slight tangent, watching escape to victory on tcm, stallone having a poor game
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,382 posts | 1497 
      Reply #827: Jul 04, 2018 12:07:24 am
      If VAR was in escape to victory the allies would have won
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,523 posts | 189 
      Reply #828: Jul 04, 2018 03:58:09 am
      I wasn't born in 1986 but I always hear great things of the tournament, and the matches I've had the chance of watching were incredible. I used to have a large collection of full matches videos which sadly I lost when my old computer broke down.

1994 is the first World Cup I remember and it was great in a sense because Brazil won it, but it wasn't necessarily the best tournament. 1998 was probably better. In 2002 the level of football was quite low, it was probably the easiest of all World Cup wins for Brazil. 2006 and 2010 were OKish, 2014 started really fast and fun, whilst 2018 started a bit slowly but has been so entertaining ever since.

Agree about that Ronaldo incident - I was surprised to see it being reported in such a positive light. It did make for a good photograph but Ronaldo wasn't in the slightest worried about Cavani, he was just trying to get him off the pitch faster. He clearly forces Cavani to accelerate his steps as Cavani looks in a lot of pain.

I was alive and it was a great world cup. First game I saw was the great Russian Team smash Hungary. Admittedly the Iron Curtain was very much in effect then. The Mexican wave. Its the first world cup I really watched and maybe that had something do with it. Great Teams though. Best Danish side ever, French Team was great, Brazil had a great side (Zico and Socrates were getting on unfortunately)
      Russia, even England had a great side. And Diego absolutely tore it up. The Germans had a very strong side.

This world cup has been great for entertainment. I think its bringing people back to national football which doesn't have all the problems of inequity club football seems to have in this era of massive investment. Of course I could be over stating the case. The World Cup should be the  pinnacle of football aspiration.
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,523 posts | 189 
      Reply #829: Jul 04, 2018 03:59:15 am
      If VAR was in escape to victory the allies would have won

Not with the SS in the TV room.
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,523 posts | 189 
      Reply #830: Jul 04, 2018 04:11:37 am
      I haven't read all the posts in this thread and why would I!! But that is some sort of redemption for Southgate. His whole career in management may be a reaction to his own penalty miss in '96.  Its funny that apparently the best penalty takers had been identified by a fairly rigorous process. Well Hendo looked like he was going to shi* himself so I can't imagine what the others were like, or that they did any type of psychoanalysis as part of the test. I reckon Walker was down as a penalty taker and he feigned a hammy strain at the end so he got substituted.  DIer, Trippier, Kane and Rashford however looked like they were well up for it. The final Colombian taker, Bacca similarly looked like he was about to be sick. I played football last night in a semi final of probably the lowest, no definitely the lowest standard in the world. There was no one there watching, the other teams keeper didn't move and we stilled missed 4 out of 5. Mostly down to nerves!!!! I didn't take one as my Achilles was knackered (happened just near the end of the game : ) ) The point is what does it feel like in a World Cup shootout! Unless you are Romario, whom doesn't seem to care at all
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 34,151 posts | 3765 
      Reply #831: Jul 04, 2018 10:23:59 am
      England deserved to go through.  Not sure why Colombia didn't want to play football until the last 15 minutes of normal time or so.  Although they started extra time the better team.

I don't think the Henderson incident was a red card.  Yellow card was about right.  Harry Kane did well to wait that long for his pen and then stick it away.

Henderson and Eric Dier's penalties were both poor - not sure I'd fancy them taking another, surprised Vardy didn't step up for one.

That game last night would have riled up the likes of Beckham and Rooney and would have seen them getting sent off so credit to the team for keeping their heads down and getting on with it.
      Jimsouse67
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,874 posts | 396 
      Reply #832: Jul 04, 2018 10:24:35 am
      Ribapuru
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,383 posts | 1232 
      Reply #833: Jul 04, 2018 10:27:11 am
      There needs to be a Neymar rolling thread now, so everytime we find a funny video of Neymar rolling it can be posted there.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,050 posts | 472 
      Reply #834: Jul 04, 2018 11:32:24 am

Henderson and Eric Dier's penalties were both poor - not sure I'd fancy them taking another, surprised Vardy didn't step up for one.

Must admit was surprised Henderson was on the list in the first 5. However, i don't think it was that poor really. Granted at a nice hight for the keeper but he did hit it in the corner.
      chats
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,120 posts | 646 
      Reply #835: Jul 04, 2018 12:47:53 pm
      Acts such a hard man and the 'ultimate lad' for Leicester yet when it comes to a penalty shootout in the World Cup Vardy's nowhere to be seen.

I don't care if I'm being petty over him or the fact I don't know how England choose their penalty takers - if I sense that he's a c**t I'll say it. And he's a proper c**t.

Vardy might be a lot of things but don’t think you could ever excuse of him ever shying away from anything.

He’d pulled his groin so Southgate took him off the list to take one.

fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,692 posts | 1053 
      Reply #836: Jul 04, 2018 01:55:35 pm
      Must admit was surprised Henderson was on the list in the first 5. However, i don't think it was that poor really. Granted at a nice hight for the keeper but he did hit it in the corner.

I wasn't suprised he stepped up and i wasn't suprised he missed it either.

He's the type of player to never back away from a pen if called upon, but equally the type of player who makes it very obvious from his body shape where he's going to put it.

Vardy should have taken one unless he was injured, been in work all morning so not too sure.

I thought we (England) were poor really yesterday and other than smashing a poor Panama team we've not been great anyway.

Corners and corners leading to penalties have been our main source of goals and Kane has shown himself to be top class on the world stage in not just his scoring but in his all round hold up play.

We don't get enough bodies in the box sadly though, probably due to the wing back formation.

What a plumb draw to face Sweden in the quarter finals though, we're hard to score against and work hard for each other so i'm hoping we can beat Sweden (wont be an easy win for this England team) and see where we are from there.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,692 posts | 1053 
      Reply #837: Jul 04, 2018 02:07:12 pm
      By the way there is a world of difference between what Henderson did and what Neymar is portraying to the world.

Henderson reacted to the situation, i'm convinced Neymar has it in his mind to create situations before hes even stepped on the pitch.

Like the Aussie ball tampering it's the pre meditated nature of it that really gets on peoples nerves.

That Colombian fella gave Henderson every opportunity to go down and I was pleasantly suprised he used his brain.

I dont think you can compare that to Neymars constant antics and poor behaviour or Rivaldo years ago in the corner flag.

There are levels and limits and Neymar usually goes well too far.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,382 posts | 1497 
      Reply #838: Jul 04, 2018 02:13:56 pm
      By the way there is a world of difference between what Henderson did and what Neymar is portraying to the world.

Henderson reacted to the situation, i'm convinced Neymar has it in his mind to create situations before hes even stepped on the pitch.

Like the Aussie ball tampering it's the pre meditated nature of it that really gets on peoples nerves.

That Colombian fella gave Henderson every opportunity to go down and I was pleasantly suprised he used his brain.

I dont think you can compare that to Neymars constant antics and poor behaviour or Rivaldo years ago in the corner flag.

There are levels and limits and Neymar usually goes well too far.

Whether it is spontaneous or premeditated it's really all the same
      Ribapuru
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,383 posts | 1232 
      Reply #839: Jul 04, 2018 02:41:21 pm
      Whether it is spontaneous or premeditated it's really all the same
      Henderson was probably hurt. Neymar dives every 2 seconds.

Quick Reply