Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 26th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W15 D7 L2

Pre-Season 18/19

Read 89621 times
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Re: Pre-Season 18/19
      Reply #483: Jul 26, 2018 02:42:56 am
      What a difference with mane and salah. Curtis jones the other shining light

Yep, and even having Mane on the right instead of Lallana made a huge difference.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #484: Jul 26, 2018 02:50:33 am
      Solanke is a much better player as the #9.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,176 posts | 8551 
      Reply #485: Jul 26, 2018 02:56:11 am
      Good pen from Mane
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,412 posts | 3406 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #486: Jul 26, 2018 02:57:13 am
      Get in you F***ing Redmen
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,176 posts | 8551 
      Reply #487: Jul 26, 2018 02:58:30 am
      We looked a far better team offensively once Mane & Salah got involved
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #488: Jul 26, 2018 03:05:37 am
      Entertaining.

The pace of Mane and Salah up front makes such a difference to how teams can play against us. It was like that 15-minutes period back in January all over again. Credit to Woodburn and Grujic as well for having an impact in midfield. Solanke was decent as a tank.

As with the loss to Dortmund and the draw to Bury, this result means absolutely nothing. But it is nice to see us ping it around a bit and create some nice chances with combinations. Add a little sharpness in front of goal and we could have scored 3 or 4 more for sure.

Saturday I would like to see Sturridge on at the same time as Keita and just benefiting from some midfield service, because he didn't get any tonight.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #489: Jul 26, 2018 03:05:48 am
      We looked a far better team offensively once Mane & Salah got involved

I can't wait to see Firmino, Keita, Mane and Salah all link up. And with TAA and Robertson providing crosses and long balls.. wow!!
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #490: Jul 26, 2018 03:37:47 am
      Night and day between the first and second half.

Obvious stars but I thought Phillips looked decent at the back. Big plus that he backs himself on the ball and can spray it about.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #491: Jul 26, 2018 05:58:45 am
      Jones has impressed me more than Woodburn ever has. Never really understood the hype with Woodburn, nothing special IMO. Jones however, looks as though he will be following in the footsteps of TAA. 2 players that look like our first breakthrough players of quality for a long time.
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,612 posts | 2159 
      Reply #492: Jul 26, 2018 08:06:21 am
      Jones has impressed me more than Woodburn ever has. Never really understood the hype with Woodburn, nothing special IMO. Jones however, looks as though he will be following in the footsteps of TAA. 2 players that look like our first breakthrough players of quality for a long time.

At just 17 Jones already has some impressive physical attributes that mark him ahead of Woodburn. He's taller, quicker and stronger. There is definitely some potential there. I think he'll push for some game/squad time this season.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #493: Jul 26, 2018 10:36:29 am
      What a difference with mane and salah. Curtis jones the other shining light

Curtis Jones  AKA  The Toxteth Terror .
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #494: Jul 26, 2018 10:39:15 am
      I can't wait to see Firmino, Keita, Mane and Salah all link up.
      with TAA and Robertson providing crosses and long balls.. wow!!

... and including Alisson's exocet kicks and throws.

With him we won't even need a midfield!

Route Uno.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,631 posts | 6940 
      Reply #495: Jul 26, 2018 10:42:41 am
      Don't think he has a sore neck, why play a trump card in a pre-season game, play your best hand in the big games.

Interesting angle.

At just 17 Jones already has some impressive physical attributes that mark him ahead of Woodburn. He's taller, quicker and stronger. There is definitely some potential there. I think he'll push for some game/squad time this season.

Issue with him, just like Woodburn, is how well they adapt to the mental side of it all.  Trent has gone on to do so well just because he seems to have been kept very grounded by his family. 
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #496: Jul 26, 2018 10:58:15 am
      Interesting to see three of our old boys playing for AC v the Scum last night.

Suso who scored ... we should never had sold and Borini ... we should never have bought.

Pepe ... we should never had sold ... was on the bench.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #497: Jul 26, 2018 11:22:57 am
      Interesting to see three of our old boys playing for AC v the Scum last night.

Suso who scored ... we should never had sold and Borini ... we should never have bought.

Pepe ... we should never had sold ... was on the bench.

Pepe was on for the 13-round penalty shootout post-match. If you catch a video of it, fairly certain the final kick for Milan involved the taker deciding "we've been here long enough" and chipping well over.  :)
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #498: Jul 26, 2018 11:43:15 am
      Just finished watching our match with Citeh and there are quite a few positives:
      I really like the look of Fabinho, very composed on the ball but a bit sluggish at times, but I'll put that down to the tough preseason training regime.
      Not sure about Gomez, he's good one minute and a bit of a liability the next, there is potential there though
      Nat Philips looked good so potentially another CB player for the future.
      Quite liked Curtis Jones, nice movement and awareness but what is it with the players coming out of the academy, they are all terrible at finishing, its really weird.
      Camacho I really like the look of, I'd like to see him get more minutes, linked up very nicely with Mo.
      Salah is Salah and just turned the whole game around again
      Mane was Mane and created so much threat but was very wasteful with his chances but I'll chalk that down to preseason
      Solanke looked fairly good playing between them but I still worry about his end product.

Overall an entertaining game against Citeh's reserves and lots of positives.
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,612 posts | 2159 
      Reply #499: Jul 26, 2018 11:57:16 am
      That was our 6th game of this pre season, am I imagining it or are we playing more than we normally would? Not sure how it compares to our direct rivals but it feels like Klopp is doing everything to get an early jump on our rivals post WC? We look particularly strong in midfield with Keita, Milner, Fabinho, Lallana & Wjinaldum all having had a summer to rest and having a full pre season program. Ditto that for VVD, Gomez, Robertson and Clyne plus the bonus of a fit (and firing) Studge and we should be able to fly from the start. Henderson is the only player who really needs to be brought back slowly and there is ample cover to afford that.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #500: Jul 26, 2018 12:11:34 pm
      That was our 6th game of this pre season, am I imagining it or are we playing more than we normally would? Not sure how it compares to our direct rivals but it feels like Klopp is doing everything to get an early jump on our rivals post WC? We look particularly strong in midfield with Keita, Milner, Fabinho, Lallana & Wjinaldum all having had a summer to rest and having a full pre season program. Ditto that for VVD, Gomez, Robertson and Clyne plus the bonus of a fit (and firing) Studge and we should be able to fly from the start. Henderson is the only player who really needs to be brought back slowly and there is ample cover to afford that.

I just wish we could play Spurs away opening game of the season, they'll be fielding their reserves I think as half their team play for England, with a few French and Belgium's as well
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #501: Jul 26, 2018 12:14:45 pm
      Mo and Mane linking up very well!

The only worry I had coming out of that game was how slow Fabinho looked, however I imagine that's just pre-season and he'll be up to an acceptable pace come game one.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,185 posts | 4404 
      Reply #502: Jul 26, 2018 12:17:28 pm
      Mo and Mane linking up very well!

The only worry I had coming out of that game was how slow Fabinho looked, however I imagine that's just pre-season and he'll be up to an acceptable pace come game one.

Then you should have been worried by the way Sane skinned VVD.

Double training sessions all week then playing in oppressive heat it’s to be expected.

You could see the difference with Mane and Salah who have only just come back to training how much fresher they looked.

FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,412 posts | 3406 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #503: Jul 26, 2018 12:23:00 pm
      Curtis Jones  AKA  The Toxteth Terror .

Liked klopp's comment about him not being afraid to offer his opinion to more senior teammates despite his age
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #504: Jul 26, 2018 12:23:56 pm
      Then you should have been worried by the way Sane skinned VVD.

Double training sessions all week then playing in oppressive heat it’s to be expected.

You could see the difference with Mane and Salah who have only just come back to training how much fresher they looked.

I did, but was also aware that it was Sane who may well be the fastest player in the league, can't remember who went round Fabinho but I don't think it was Sane or anyone known for 'pace'. But aye, I mentioned the training in his player thread, has to be fatigue related, he'll be good to go soon.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #505: Jul 26, 2018 12:51:32 pm
      I did, but was also aware that it was Sane who may well be the fastest player in the league, can't remember who went round Fabinho but I don't think it was Sane or anyone known for 'pace'. But aye, I mentioned the training in his player thread, has to be fatigue related, he'll be good to go soon.

I'm afraid tiredness or not, Fabinho would still have struggled vs that pace.

I said it many times, Hendo is a beast at nullifying counter attacks, and no doubt he would have stopped that pacey wide player that Fabinho couldn't, but having Hendo there we wouldn't see the composed play that Fabinho offers.

Quick Reply