Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Pre-Season 18/19

Read 88034 times
      alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,185 posts | 165 
      Re: Pre-Season 18/19
      Reply #506: Jul 26, 2018 12:53:49 pm
      I could not see the game, although I woke up at 4 am. to watch it: Internet was too slow.

I might be wonrg but it seems we were dominated in the first half and it worries me that Lallana and Wijnaldum could not handle a bunch of kinds. That's why I think we still need an attacking midfielder who can act as a playmaker (things that none of Wijnaldum and Lallana seem to do) now that we now Ox will be absent.

Your opinion?

PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #507: Jul 26, 2018 01:09:57 pm
      I could not see the game, although I woke up at 4 am. to watch it: Internet was too slow.

I might be wonrg but it seems we were dominated in the first half and it worries me that Lallana and Wijnaldum could not handle a bunch of kinds. That's why I think we still need an attacking midfielder who can act as a playmaker (things that none of Wijnaldum and Lallana seem to do) now that we now Ox will be absent.

Your opinion?

Midfield creativity wasn't good, but it didn't help by having Sturridge and Lallana being part of the front line as both players were more descending than ascending. Without that quick player able to make runs behind, we just weren't much of a threat.

I wouldn't say we were dominated, and certainly had a few good moments where we should have scored and had a Pen, but overally, yes, City was the better team.

Second half was a completely different story though!!!!
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #508: Jul 26, 2018 01:25:06 pm
      I'm afraid tiredness or not, Fabinho would still have struggled vs that pace.

I said it many times, Hendo is a beast at nullifying counter attacks, and no doubt he would have stopped that pacey wide player that Fabinho couldn't, but having Hendo there we wouldn't see the composed play that Fabinho offers.

Difficult balance, but good to have both options depending on opposition
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #509: Jul 26, 2018 02:06:55 pm
      Difficult balance, but good to have both options depending on opposition

So are we really saying that Hendo is quicker than Fabinho, I just find it hard to believe that Fabinho is going to be that much slower but I haven't really seen him play enough to know for sure.
      Fourbrick
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 844 posts | 235 
      Reply #510: Jul 26, 2018 02:31:07 pm
      For those interested.
        Highlights.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOzncbQQ-so
      CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #511: Jul 26, 2018 02:42:07 pm
      watched the highlights and holy crap, the field looked awful. Disappointed seeing Sane with cornrows, his fro was pretty cool.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #512: Jul 26, 2018 04:00:41 pm
      So are we really saying that Hendo is quicker than Fabinho, I just find it hard to believe that Fabinho is going to be that much slower but I haven't really seen him play enough to know for sure.

Just based on that game without doubt, Hendo is very quick however Fabinho hasn't been fully fit so it's hard to tell. I would assume Fabinho should be rapid as he used to be a right back.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #513: Jul 26, 2018 04:02:16 pm

Your opinion?

Outplayed more than dominated. Clyne in particular I thought had trouble with their press. Robertson on the other side looked fatigued. I don't think eight hours waiting at the airport and getting in late the  night before helped much, plus they had full training earlier in the day.

As PM mentioned, Lallana was playing forward and not midfielder, and it was Gini's first match after a think, just two full training sessions. Remember also that, following the Man United match Saturday, the team will still have a full week of training camp in France, two friendlies against Italian clubs, and another week of training leading up to the season opener. The individual sharpness and tactical fluidity is still to be developed in large part.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #514: Jul 26, 2018 04:12:30 pm
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #516: Jul 26, 2018 04:44:08 pm

And suddenly the football matters not.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #517: Jul 26, 2018 05:19:29 pm
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #518: Jul 26, 2018 05:24:24 pm
      JC16
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 861 posts | 86 
      Reply #519: Jul 26, 2018 06:27:26 pm
      watched the highlights and holy crap, the field looked awful. Disappointed seeing Sane with cornrows, his fro was pretty cool.

Looks are quite deceiving.  I worked my ass off to get that pitch to be as safe as possible for the players.

To put a sod turf together on top of the turf field without an irrigation system is very difficult.

The sod had dried out a bit.  It’s the middle of summer.

We did the best we could.

Was really cool to meet the players and Juergen as well.

PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #520: Jul 26, 2018 06:32:17 pm
      Looks are quite deceiving.  I worked my ass off to get that pitch to be as safe as possible for the players.

To put a sod turf together on top of the turf field without an irrigation system is very difficult.

All Taylor Swift's fault! Well done cleaning up her mess :D
      Kopite78
      Reply #521: Jul 26, 2018 07:22:51 pm

You work there? Good effort on it then like

But god it looked sh*te
      JC16
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 861 posts | 86 
      Reply #522: Jul 26, 2018 07:41:41 pm
      You work there? Good effort on it then like

But god it looked sh*te
      I don’t work there.  Myself and my crew from the golf course I work at volunteered to lay the sod out. 

I work at a golf club that is always ranked in the top 100 in the world.  My staff and I are all very qualified.

To get a pitch that looks aesthetically pleasing and safe for the players is very difficult to do in such a short time.

If my staff and I had the time it would have looked much better. 

We sacrificed the visual of it to ensure that it was safe to play on.
      DanMann

• 5,635 posts | 866 
      Reply #523: Jul 26, 2018 07:43:53 pm

The pitch looked awful and the ball was moving really poorly along it. It was slow and scruffy. It's a disgrace that they allow a concert onto a pitch directly before it is used for a sporting event. The organisers of this little pre-season 'tournament' really messed that up.

That said, it's no reflection on the groundsmen, and if you are, then fair play to you. Must have been a nightmare trying to patch that up. Still awful though.  ;)
      DanMann

• 5,635 posts | 866 
      Reply #524: Jul 26, 2018 07:45:59 pm
      Midfield creativity wasn't good, but it didn't help by having Sturridge and Lallana being part of the front line as both players were more descending than ascending.

???

Explain that one mate? No idea what you are meaning..
      Fourbrick
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 844 posts | 235 
      Reply #525: Jul 26, 2018 07:53:30 pm
      For those interested.
        Highlights.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOzncbQQ-so
      JC16
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 861 posts | 86 
      Reply #526: Jul 26, 2018 08:10:50 pm
      The pitch looked awful and the ball was moving really poorly along it. It was slow and scruffy. It's a disgrace that they allow a concert onto a pitch directly before it is used for a sporting event. The organisers of this little pre-season 'tournament' really messed that up.

That said, it's no reflection on the groundsmen, and if you are, then fair play to you. Must have been a nightmare trying to patch that up. Still awful though.  ;)

All I can say is we were laying sod down on a surface that I used a radar thermometer on that read 120 degrees Fahrenheit.  With no irrigation system.

It was poorly planned.  We should have been there over two months ago.

But with the facility being used so often it wasn’t feasible.

I just wanted to make it as safe as possible.

Sorry if I disappointed. 
      CT_LFC

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #527: Jul 26, 2018 08:15:48 pm
      All I can say is we were laying sod down on a surface that I used a radar thermometer on that read 120 degrees Fahrenheit.  With no irrigation system.

Sorry if I disappointed.

Nothing to do with you, though. Just pointing out that it was the organizer who f'ed up in organizing this game so soon after a concert knowing the field would not be in prime condition.

So the Giants / Jets play on turf? not a NFL guy so don't follow it and not familiar with their surface, but the stadium itself is very new. With so many stadiums of high capacity in the US it's a shame they (the organizers) chose Metlife given its busy schedule just prior to the game.
      redtiler
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,101 posts | 125 
      Reply #528: Jul 26, 2018 08:19:34 pm

Sorry if I disappointed. 

Why was it chosen mate,  obviously not your fault, but not suitable at all

Quick Reply