Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Pre-Season 18/19

Read 87938 times
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Re: Pre-Season 18/19
      Reply #713: Jul 29, 2018 01:11:10 pm
      https://www.internationalchampionscup.com/en/videos/liverpool-arrives-in-new-york

Clip  of fans waiting hours for Reds arrival.

Liverpool "arrives" ???    Yanks can't get their grammar right.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #714: Jul 29, 2018 01:22:52 pm
      Completely forgot that the transfer window closes in less than two weeks time on the 9th of August and not at the end of August as it used to be. Not much time to get some dead wood out. Definitely won't be any more coming in but certainly a few who can move out.
      alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,185 posts | 165 
      Reply #715: Jul 29, 2018 01:23:02 pm
      https://www.internationalchampionscup.com/en/videos/liverpool-arrives-in-new-york

That's how I learnt English. Liverpool is a proper noun representing a club, so it is singular. But  it seems that in the UK, you would write Liverpool "are" instead of him. Reason being that you're referring to different persons, right?
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #716: Jul 29, 2018 01:47:43 pm
      To most outside of that f***in toilet Maureen is a total Kunt, for me he's digging his own grave with his idiotic ramblings,
      He is their leader, he's the one every f**ker listens to, but to listen to him anyone would think, 'what the F**k is this tw*t on about',
      In his presser he gobs off some double speak about new signings....."I sink we need two more players, but I sink not we get two players, maybe I sink we get only one player, I say to board six months ago we need this player, but we don't have seez player, can't remember the rest, but I'm sat there thinking what the actual F**k is he on about, and truth be told I don't think he knows himself,

This bloke is purportedly one of the best in the business but he rambles on like a demented Boris Johnston,
      To us it's all good fun, watching this kunt dragging his sh*te team down further a further into the sh*te, keep it up Jose, you make us smile every f***in day !!

YNWA
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #717: Jul 29, 2018 01:48:19 pm
      lets face it the gulf in class between the two teams can be reflected in the behaviour of the two managers. Jürgen happy for Clyne and his family looking forward to seeing him back in a few days whilst Maureen slags off Martial for being AWOL .
      Makes you aware that we have to enjoy every day Jürgen is here because we are lucky to have him here .
      Pre-season is difficult as the team often train before a night match but at this point an awful lot of positives to take into the season with a squad that is so much stronger in depth and quality than last season.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #718: Jul 29, 2018 02:09:00 pm

As Alex mentioned, we treat proper names like this as a singular. I understand the logic behind treating it as a group and of course, you were there first - but the way it is in the headline is proper convention over here.

My problem when I was writing about football is that I read so much stuff from UK that I fell into writing it that way and would get scored by my American readers for my sloppy grammar.  :)

The other area that comes into play here is vocabulary/terminology. As you know, you say pitch and nil, we say field and zero, but now Americans, when talking about "soccer" - will say pitch and nil, but I don't get it. A baseball score is "Two to zero or Two to nothing." But a soccer score is "two-nil"??? - nonsensical for me for us to say it that way, or to refer to the green grass the players are on as a pitch, when the same grass for every other sport played here is a field. When American football plays at Wembley, I'm pretty sure Brit fans don't call it a field.

But I digress....

MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #719: Jul 29, 2018 02:13:05 pm
      That's how I learnt English. Liverpool is a proper noun representing a club, so it is singular. But  it seems that in the UK, you would write Liverpool "are" instead of him. Reason being that you're referring to different persons, right?

Liverpool as referring to our club and team is a collective noun. Effectively yes singular as an entity .

It should read Liverpool arrive in New York  and not Liverpool arrives in New York.

Just saying like.

Vive la difference .

BTW   we are second in the standings for the overall tournament behind Borussia Dortmund.

Madrid up next for the Scum. Wonder if Dark Arts Ramos will cripple Sanchez ?
      « Last Edit: Jul 29, 2018 02:18:25 pm by MIRO »
      Fourbrick
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 844 posts | 235 
      Reply #720: Jul 29, 2018 02:37:48 pm

Cracking goal.This is what I said in June.

"Re Shaqiri. I wouldn't mind getting him s he is a little terrier of a player with mucho cojones, to go with his skill. We tried to buy him when he left Basle but Bayern beat us to it. If we get him, Anfield will have to build a mosque as he's a muslim like Mo."
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #721: Jul 29, 2018 03:08:30 pm
      Liverpool as referring to our club and team is a collective noun. Effectively yes singular as an entity .

It should read Liverpool arrive in New York  and not Liverpool arrives in New York.

Just saying like.

Vive la difference .

BTW   we are second in the standings for the overall tournament behind Borussia Dortmund.

Madrid up next for the Scum. Wonder if Dark Arts Ramos will cripple Sanchez ?

Is their an actual league table for this champions cup friendly stuff, wow, did not know that, what's the prize and how the hell is it scored?
      DanMann
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,635 posts | 866 
      Reply #722: Jul 29, 2018 03:16:03 pm
      Is their an actual league table for this champions cup friendly stuff, wow, did not know that, what's the prize and how the hell is it scored?

Yes, but it's pointless. 18 teams in a league but we each play 3 games? Think we're finished but others are still playing.

2nd place at the moment.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #723: Jul 29, 2018 03:49:54 pm

Yes there is H.

Here's to link  to the Standings Page with the table on it ..

https://www.internationalchampionscup.com/en/standings

Mind you we have a few more games under our belt than some but we are after all in illustrious company with some of the teams in it.
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #724: Jul 29, 2018 04:06:45 pm
      H
      hillarious.
      So shaqiri’s performance today made you a believer? Before you doubted his ability?
      I just believe that some folk haven’t got a clue about players ability.
      Either put forward a intelligent opinion based upon fact or just keep stum.
      With many players I choose to read rather than post because I am not entirely sure how I feel about a player.
      Shaqiri was an obviously good signing at a ridiculously low price.

The only doubt I had with Shaqiri was at times for Stoke the player looked disinterested, but that could have had more to do with the players around him than his character itself...
      Let's face it playing for stoke he was never going to be  playing in Europe on a regular basis, and only then if it was down to winning a FA, which again cause's a little concern as to why he signed for Stoke in the first place, and the fact that it seemed no other PL team came in for him... Great player, hard working and obviously skilled, and on the whole a great addition to our rank,quality player, a steal for £13-£17 m, But I would be lying if I said that i had no concerns   
      Harrisimo

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #725: Jul 29, 2018 10:27:15 pm
      The only doubt I had with Shaqiri was at times for Stoke the player looked disinterested, but that could have had more to do with the players around him than his character itself...
      Let's face it playing for stoke he was never going to be  playing in Europe on a regular basis, and only then if it was down to winning a FA, which again cause's a little concern as to why he signed for Stoke in the first place, and the fact that it seemed no other PL team came in for him... Great player, hard working and obviously skilled, and on the whole a great addition to our rank,quality player, a steal for £13-£17 m, But I would be lying if I said that i had no concerns

Charlie Adam might've said Shaqiri didn't pull his weight but I doubt our scouts and Klopp thought that. And Charlie might have done us a slight favour in that Shaqiri will have that little bit extra to prove. Every player that comes here feels motivated but that little bit of extra won't do us any harm. I like Shaqiri, he isn't short on confidence and he'll try stuff without worrying if it goes wrong.

It's game on for Shaqiri. Good signing.
      JC16
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 861 posts | 86 
      Reply #726: Jul 30, 2018 02:38:55 am
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #727: Jul 30, 2018 07:01:30 am
      Charlie Adam might've said Shaqiri didn't pull his weight but I doubt our scouts and Klopp thought that. And Charlie might have done us a slight favour in that Shaqiri will have that little bit extra to prove. Every player that comes here feels motivated but that little bit of extra won't do us any harm. I like Shaqiri, he isn't short on confidence and he'll try stuff without worrying if it goes wrong.

It's game on for Shaqiri. Good signing.

Where was Charlie Adam in Stokes hardest time? Getting sent off. Where was he in a crucial penalty shootout for us? Blazing his penalty over. That weapon isn’t someone worth paying attention too, especially when if it hadn’t been for Shaqiri, then they’d have been much worse off.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #728: Jul 30, 2018 09:48:17 am
      Where was Charlie Adam in Stokes hardest time? Getting sent off. Where was he in a crucial penalty shootout for us? Blazing his penalty over. That weapon isn’t someone worth paying attention too, especially when if it hadn’t been for Shaqiri, then they’d have been much worse off.

Fat Charlie calling a player lazy.

The irony is not lost on me.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #729: Jul 30, 2018 10:17:01 am

Urrgh.  They've even ruined the simplicity of a league table.  Games Played anybody?

7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #730: Jul 30, 2018 10:54:59 am
      Urrgh.  They've even ruined the simplicity of a league table.  Games Played anybody?

A point for losing a penalty shootout?! Bit of a daft thing to have.
      DanMann

• 5,635 posts | 866 
      Reply #731: Jul 30, 2018 11:22:12 am

Seems they award a point for a draw in normal time, and then an extra point if you win the penalty shootout.
      So, that drawn game could be 2 points. Whilst a win in regular time is just 1 point more!

Really odd.

heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #732: Jul 30, 2018 11:29:14 am

Although could be quite good fun if applied to a normal league, say you have a draw at the end of a game, each team gets a point each then you have a penalty shoot out and the winning team gets the extra point or the only point on offer goes to the team that wins the penalty shoot out.
      Another way of doing it is that the team with most shots on target gets an extra point, would encourage more attacking play. Would perhaps have to qualify shots on target as being within a certain distance of goal to prevent a defensive team from just firing the ball at goal from their own half.
      Kopite78
      Reply #733: Jul 30, 2018 11:31:33 am
      Although could be quite good fun if applied to a normal league, say you have a draw at the end of a game, each team gets a point each then you have a penalty shoot out and the winning team gets the extra point.
      Another way of doing it is that the team with most shots on target gets an extra point, would encourage more attacking play. Would perhaps have to qualify shots on target as being within a certain distance of goal to prevent a defensive team from juts firing the ball at goal from their own half.

:o

Or just don't?  :)

Leave this type of rubbish in American thought up pre season nonsense cups 😓
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #734: Jul 30, 2018 11:42:28 am
      :o

Or just don't?  :)

Leave this type of rubbish in American thought up pre season nonsense cups 😓

Yeah probably best, I was just thinking of ways to stop crap negative teams like Burnley, Stoke, West Brom etc being less bus parkey
      Kopite78
      Reply #735: Jul 30, 2018 12:00:01 pm
      Yeah probably best, I was just thinking of ways to stop crap negative teams like Burnley, Stoke, West Brom etc being less bus parkey

I have no issues with them doing that Mate. Defending is a big part and a valid tactic in footy. Always has been.
      It's certainly a way that the smaller clubs to compete, it's an easier way to make your budget stretch and coach those types.

My issue comes when teams with vastly vastly greater budgets bus park.. teams that a responsibility to entertain don't and who can afford the difference makers in the final third

What you think Keith? 😉

Quick Reply