Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Jürgen Klopp - LFC Manager - 2018/19 Edition

Read 186565 times
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Re: Jürgen Klopp - LFC Manager - 2018/19 Edition
      Reply #414: Dec 08, 2018 07:41:16 pm
      I think this guy might actually know what he’s doing......🤔
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #415: Dec 08, 2018 07:47:24 pm

It’s like a good manager makes the whole team better or something.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #416: Dec 08, 2018 08:00:47 pm

Im not sure 😂
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #417: Dec 08, 2018 08:01:30 pm
      Think it'll all depend on how he uses all these pivots that we have.

Rib could explain the pivot to us..
      molbys belly
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,537 posts | 123 
      Reply #418: Dec 08, 2018 08:04:46 pm
      Rib could explain the pivot to us..

Lot of pish ;D
      Danzel
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,305 posts | 1113 
      Reply #419: Dec 08, 2018 10:07:47 pm
      Very interesting interview with the manager from prior to the Burnley game. Might open some people's eyes. He talks about our change of style, rotation, Keita, Fabinho, our pressing, ...

The boss sees what we see and far more than that. I put some interesting bits in bold.

Jürgen Klopp exclusive: Liverpool boss on why the team had to evolve

Jürgen Klopp discusses the necessary evolution of his Liverpool team

In an exclusive interview with Sky Sports, Jürgen Klopp explains his reasons for changing Liverpool's style this season - and why he won't be taking any time off this Christmas...

Liverpool's players returned from Paris at 1.45am on Thursday morning and reported to work for 2.30pm. Training was at 4.15pm to replicate the time of the Merseyside derby on Sunday. Then there's the bus to Burnley on Wednesday and the flight to Bournemouth on Friday before Napoli and Manchester United visit Anfield. All of this inside a fortnight.

Liverpool are in the thick of it now and Jürgen Klopp can only smile.

A decade ago, in the last of his eight seasons with Mainz, his team played only 36 matches all season. Liverpool will pass that mark by February. Speaking on the top floor of the club's Melwood training base, the irony of the situation is not lost on the 51-year-old German.

"Coaches want to coach," he tells Sky Sports. "That is why we are good at it and that is why we have made our way up in the game. Then you get to the highest level and most of the time it is meetings. The job becomes more about getting the message across in those meetings rather than on the pitch. It is a big difference and you have to get used to that."

Not that he is complaining. The point is made with the customary smile. "There is nothing to moan about. It is like it is." And besides, the time constraints have forced him to make every single moment count with his players. "The job is massively and completely different and that makes me a much better manager than I was when I started," he adds.

The challenge now is to get even better. Liverpool made their strongest start to a season in their 126-year history and remain unbeaten in the Premier League. But they still find themselves two points adrift of Manchester City. The quest for perfection is driving them on and explains why Klopp has made changes on and off the pitch in a bid to improve.

In part, it was born of necessity. He sensed that opponents had adapted to his team's counter-pressing and he would need another way. "A lot of teams saw that we were good at that and realised they were overplaying," says Klopp. "If the team gives us the opportunity to do it we will still be there with the counter-press. But very often it is not possible.

"A lot of teams also play counter-attack against us. They don't have the same respect for us that they have for Man City, for example. Against City, you watch it and wonder what they are doing. A week later they play us and they are thinking, right, let's try. City deserve that but it makes a big difference because we have to percenter cent concentrated all the time.
      If the team gives us the opportunity to do it we will still be there with the counter-press. But very often it is not possible ... now we have to control more games.

"It means that now we have to control more games. We have to keep the ball, especially against counter-attacking sides. That may change in the second part of the season when opponents who are down the table need the points and so they will need to open up a bit more. But at this moment we have to control games and be patient but in a very lively way.

"This was a big part of our thinking in pre-season as well. We really said that.  It's like we were so lively in the past that the moment we couldn't be lively because there was no space for that it was like there was immediately this drop in concentration. That is not allowed. I like it more now actually. It is more mature. That was the next step for us. So far so good."

Liverpool's defensive problems have been addressed. The team has conceded only five goals in the Premier League this season, the same number as City, and Klopp is pleased that the work has paid off. "We had to develop things and we had to put the focus a bit more on defence," he says. "I always think about how to win and defence is the basis for all of it."

But as one issue is solved another emerges. Now there are suggestions that Liverpool's more controlled approach means they are lacking the fluency of old. "In the moment when the defence is not good everyone says you need to fix it," says Klopp. "The moment you fix it, everybody says, yeah, but what about the rest of it? It is always like this."

Although Xherdan Shaqiri has impressed since his £13m arrival in the summer, the scoring form of Mohamed Salah and especially Roberto Firmino has not hit last season's heights. But Klopp sees the capacity to switch to a 4-2-3-1 as a strength and is optimistic that any concerns over Liverpool's attacking potency are only temporary.

He points to one particular flowing move against Fulham that he argues was very nearly the best team goal that he has seen during his three years at Anfield. The chances are still coming. "We have created many more than we have used," he argues.

"That's the nature of the thing. I have no problem with that. Yes, there is one team that has scored a lot more than us but the rest are on the same level and there will be games when the boys are flying. Those games will come. I am 100 per cent sure of that. We have already been really close in a lot of situations but right now we just need to get results."

The other chief cause for optimism is that the new signings will improve. Against Paris Saint-Germain, Liverpool relied upon the tried and trusted midfield trio of Jordan Henderson, James Milner and Georginio Wijnaldum, but the hope remains that Fabinho and Naby Keita will be able to provide greater impetus as the season goes on.

For now, patience is required. "We will have to work for it because it is not like you can throw players on the pitch and just tell them to do it," says Klopp. "It doesn't work. It didn't work with Fabinho. It did work really well with Naby in the beginning, but then he got an injury and the team did really well. If things are working then you keep them.

"That gives the other players even more time to adjust to all the things around them, in the league, in the club and all this stuff. There will come the time when they are playing and nobody will remember that there were three or four games at the beginning when they weren't playing. So, of course, there is potential there to improve.

"It is a pretty young side too. One that is not experienced in winning anything so far. Our big opponents are the champions, the champions from a year ago, the FA Cup winner from a year ago and so on. All these teams are challenging you and we need to find our own way. We know it will never be easy and this period coming up will be really intense."

With eight games in December, including that Champions League decider against Napoli, and 2019 beginning with a bang against Manchester City, much of Liverpool's season will be shaped by this next month. Clearly, it will be no relaxing Christmas for Klopp himself.

"My missus asked me when I am having a day off and I don't see it," he says. "I had to make the plans quite a long time ahead and I didn't see a day off. Not this year. We cannot go home to Germany. I will be at home in Liverpool but Christmas will be celebrated in hours not days."

The hope is that with the work Klopp has put in to improve the defence, strengthen the squad and work out new ways to win, Liverpool will do their celebrating in May instead.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11669/11568131/Jürgen-klopp-exclusive-liverpool-boss-on-why-the-team-had-to-evolve
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,146 posts | 1619 
      Reply #420: Dec 09, 2018 03:47:52 am
      The first manager in a long time who has demonstrated the clear and continued upward trajectory season on season. Feels like he will always have us competing rather than being the one season wonder.

Top of the league, all kinds of club records broken and still with room for growth. Nice work boss.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #421: Dec 09, 2018 10:15:25 am
      Great post Danz....

Klopp is really a madman genius. Love him to pieces and it’s fascinating to read his insights on the game and our team.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #422: Dec 09, 2018 10:28:44 am
      when forum members criticise you for actually saying whatever team Jürgen puts out its the best one available it makes your head wobble. This season what has he done wrong he has a squad of human beings not machines and after 16 games we have dropped just 6 points and conceded just 6 points. That's why we trust Jürgen rather than the experts on here who cut and paste out of a coaching manual. Even before yesterdays game he was getting stick for the team he picked and we won 4-0 and go top of the league if you don't think this man is our best chance of winning the league in over 25 years then I don't who else is.
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #423: Dec 09, 2018 11:21:04 am
      when forum members criticise you for actually saying whatever team Jürgen puts out its the best one available it makes your head wobble. This season what has he done wrong he has a squad of human beings not machines and after 16 games we have dropped just 6 points and conceded just 6 points. That's why we trust Jürgen rather than the experts on here who cut and paste out of a coaching manual. Even before yesterdays game he was getting stick for the team he picked and we won 4-0 and go top of the league if you don't think this man is our best chance of winning the league in over 25 years then I don't who else is.

That's because people want to see the very best chance of winning take the field week in we out to continue the momentum that we have built...
      But on viewing the team selection pre match I formed only one thought... It's December, and people should expect to see very different starting line-up's week in week out in an effort to keep players fit and help protect against injuries
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #424: Dec 09, 2018 11:27:08 am
      That's because people want to see the very best chance of winning take the field week in we out to continue the momentum that we have built...
      But on viewing the team selection pre match I formed only one thought... It's December, and people should expect to see very different starting line-up's week in week out in an effort to keep players fit and help protect against injuries

Chopping and changing your team for the first 10 or more games will only cause disruption, We needed a stable 11 to set the foundations for a good start to the season and its worked wonders, you won’t get a consistent performance through change for the sake of change, players need to adapt to one another on the pitch, only through injury I would expect changes which Klopp has done..

Now the foundation for a solid start have been placed, Klopp will start to field a more consistent line up for the games which are coming in thick and fast..

LFCSTEVE1984
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,729 posts | 408 
      Reply #425: Dec 09, 2018 11:53:13 am
      I get a feeling we are starting to go up a level in intensity we looked a lot more comfortable on the ball yesterday and some of the quick passing was out of this world.

Don't know whether it's the inclusion of Keita and Fabinho (more so Keita) but we seemed a lot quicker in attack.

I sware to god some of the dribbles Naby does are Messi-esque. He looks so hard to dispossess, sometimes he looks like he is losing it but he still gets away with the ball.

A few more tonkings and I think teams will be absolutely shitting themselves as soon as they look at the fixtures and see we are next. (Even more than they already do)
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #426: Dec 09, 2018 12:51:32 pm
      RedKop114
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 71 posts |
      Reply #427: Dec 09, 2018 01:08:33 pm
      Klopp is by far the best manager in Liverpool's modern era, and he is also incredibly charismatic.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #428: Dec 09, 2018 01:32:00 pm
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #429: Dec 09, 2018 01:32:44 pm
      Klopp isn't perfect he is flawed which makes him all the more likeable as a human being . Seeing him run on the pitch last week is just a fantastic memory to have and if you have ever been to Anfield and seen a last minute winner in a tense game you will know exactly why he did it. Love the  man and I want him to be remembered for Silverware not for being a great Guy.
      Harrisimo

• 7,966 posts | 1355 
      Reply #430: Dec 09, 2018 02:55:29 pm
      Much is made of Klopp being the great motivator but he is no slouch as a coach either. He had to manage the new signings, handle Mo after last season, lost Coutinho and then Can, Alex blew up. Midfield problems, front 3 misfiring on occasion. New keeper to bed in. These issues could've easily derailed us but Klopp has steered us to top of the league.

Lost it a bit in Europe but he still has a massive chance to keep us in there. He has to do a hell of a lot worse before I have a pop and  nobody should kick off on Klopp if we don't get the result against Napoli.
      LFCSTEVE1984
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,729 posts | 408 
      Reply #431: Dec 09, 2018 05:22:01 pm
      Much is made of Klopp being the great motivator but he is no slouch as a coach either. He had to manage the new signings, handle Mo after last season, lost Coutinho and then Can, Alex blew up. Midfield problems, front 3 misfiring on occasion. New keeper to bed in. These issues could've easily derailed us but Klopp has steered us to top of the league.

Lost it a bit in Europe but he still has a massive chance to keep us in there. He has to do a hell of a lot worse before I have a pop and  nobody should kick off on Klopp if we don't get the result against Napoli.

I think we're gonna tw*t Napoli, got a feeling we're going to start putting 4 and 5 past people like last year.

Don't know about you but I've just got a feeling we're building towards devestation again.
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #432: Dec 09, 2018 05:34:50 pm
      Chopping and changing your team for the first 10 or more games will only cause disruption, We needed a stable 11 to set the foundations for a good start to the season and its worked wonders, you won’t get a consistent performance through change for the sake of change, players need to adapt to one another on the pitch, only through injury I would expect changes which Klopp has done..

Now the foundation for a solid start have been placed, Klopp will start to field a more consistent line up for the games which are coming in thick and fast..

Totally agree with you here, my point was now we have games coming think and fast we will see those chances, so no one should be surprised

BTW way the  part that I highlighted, tried to tell someone on this forum, that no matter what you train or practice for in training that it is only on the field that you get to learn the type of runs that other players make, and where they like the ball to be played...
      He claims to be knowledgeable about football  :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #433: Dec 09, 2018 05:38:28 pm
      Klopp isn't perfect he is flawed which makes him all the more likeable as a human being . Seeing him run on the pitch last week is just a fantastic memory to have and if you have ever been to Anfield and seen a last minute winner in a tense game you will know exactly why he did it. Love the  man and I want him to be remembered for Silverware not for being a great Guy.
      I agree with wholeheartedly especially the last part
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #434: Dec 09, 2018 05:39:26 pm
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #435: Dec 10, 2018 03:52:23 am
      Couldn't think of a better Man in charge.

I have gripes with him too like his subs, the timing of them and who and sometimes his Team selection.

But what the f**k do I know, we are SITTING TOP OF THE LEAGUE!!!!

Love the Man and hope he stays for 10+ years.

I want Jürgen to be the Manager that leads us to the Holy Grail.
      leosc
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 2,011 posts | 273 
      • Poetry in motion!
      Reply #436: Dec 10, 2018 01:41:39 pm
      I think we're gonna tw*t Napoli, got a feeling we're going to start putting 4 and 5 past people like last year.

Don't know about you but I've just got a feeling we're building towards devestation again.

Same here, something like the CL game against Roma last season.

Quick Reply