Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Jürgen Klopp - LFC Manager - 2018/19 Edition

Read 186653 times
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,455 posts | 1478 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Re: Jürgen Klopp - LFC Manager - 2018/19 Edition
      Reply #828: Mar 05, 2019 03:39:43 pm
      Take us out of the equation and it's not even a title race.

Klopp was a massive pain in the butt for Bayern Munich and he's a massive pain in the butt for City. That's what I like about him. He's plucky and he always looks ready for a rumble.

He also isn't going anywhere soon.

He'll bring us number 19 this season and if he doesn't, he's still working wonders.
      CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #829: Mar 05, 2019 05:05:33 pm
      " I don't think Klopp is the right manager for us long term"

ok, who would you rather have

"There is no one right now"

Really, you can't make this sh*t up.
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,564 posts | 766 
      Reply #830: Mar 05, 2019 05:31:48 pm
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #831: Mar 05, 2019 06:15:13 pm
      Quote from Ribapuru
      Nobody can explain the Lallana on Mane off. It's inexcusable

No it's not.

On a counter attack, Mane gives the ball away cheaply to the opposition goalkeeper. The camera switches to Klopp, he turns to the bench and 30 seconds later, the sub happens. There's your explanation.

What did Mane do in the previous 80 minutes to stay on? Score goals? Create chances? Have their keeper make a significant save?

Klopp is paid big bucks to get the big decisions right. His decisions have us going for the title, when everyone expected another top 4 fight this season. We're 13 points clear of it atm.

Wrong decision? We'll find out in May. Sackable offence? No.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #832: Mar 05, 2019 06:31:05 pm
      No it's not.

On a counter attack, Mane gives the ball away cheaply to the opposition goalkeeper. The camera switches to Klopp, he turns to the bench and 30 seconds later, the sub happens. There's your explanation.

What did Mane do in the previous 80 minutes to stay on? Score goals? Create chances? Have their keeper make a significant save?

Klopp is paid big bucks to get the big decisions right. His decisions have us going for the title, when everyone expected another top 4 fight this season. We're 13 points clear of it atm.

Why Lallana and not Shaqiri? Are you actually saying Lallana was a better option than Shaqiri?

Also Pundits are paid big bucks to criticize managers and applaud them, most pundits mentioned Shaqiri would have been a better option, Carra was one of those pundits. If you ask me Carra should get his coaching license because he also said we need to replace Mignolet whilst Klopp was still saying he's the best thing since sliced bread. It would be great to have him with Gerrard at the helm one day.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #833: Mar 05, 2019 06:34:28 pm
      Why Lallana and not Shaqiri? Are you actually saying Lallana was a better option than Shaqiri?

Also Pundits are paid big bucks to criticize managers and applaud them, most pundits mentioned Shaqiri would have been a better option, Carra was one of those pundits. If you ask me Carra should get his coaching license because he also said we need to replace Mignolet whilst Klopp was still saying he's the best thing since sliced bread. It would be great to have him with Gerrard at the helm one day.

Who cares what pundits say and how much they're paid.

Most of them are as thick as pig sh*t or have some sort of agenda.

Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #834: Mar 05, 2019 06:38:31 pm
      Who cares what pundits say and how much they're paid.

Most of them are as thick as pig sh*t or have some sort of agenda.

"The thing I go back to - we know about the midfield. I do look at the changes from the bench, I don't think they were great last week at Old Trafford, the first substitution when Daniel Sturridge came on.

"Then today I was looking at the substitutions and thinking 'bring Roberto Firmino on, try and get someone behind Everton's midfield' and he stayed with the three in midfield.

"Even when Adam Lallana came on, he didn't come on as one of the midfield three, he came on as one of the front three. Now maybe Klopp thinks at that stage that it isn't a bad point.

"Liverpool have only lost one game this season, I played in a season when we only lost two games and never won the league. It doesn't matter how many games you lose, it's points that you drop and these points at the moment are proving vital.

Carra's words are impossible to argue with.
      Can anybody tell me the sense behind the Lallana sub? There were better options. If we used those options and still drew I'd understand, but Klopp's not rolling the dice. If we don't win the league this season we will always know we could have but we'll never know.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #835: Mar 05, 2019 06:51:39 pm
      No it's not.

This sack talk is always taken out of context, nobody has said that he should be sacked now. If Klopp finishes 5 seasons without a trophy we need to assess our options though.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #836: Mar 05, 2019 06:57:18 pm

"Even when Adam Lallana came on, he didn't come on as one of the midfield three, he came on as one of the front three. Now maybe Klopp thinks at that stage that it isn't a bad point.

Carra's words are impossible to argue with.

Can anybody tell me the sense behind the Lallana sub?

I thought Carr’s words are impossible to argue with?.. 🙄
      « Last Edit: Mar 05, 2019 07:27:17 pm by Shabs »
      lfc across the water
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #837: Mar 05, 2019 07:09:24 pm
      Quote from Ribapuru

Also Pundits are paid big bucks to criticize managers and applaud them, most pundits mentioned Shaqiri would have been a better option, Carra was one of those pundits. If you ask me Carra should get his coaching license. It would be great to have him with Gerrard at the helm one day.

We appointed a former Rangers coach before. That started the title famine. I'm not very keen to repeat it. Carra has his licence, he just doesn't want to coach. He prefers to be a pundit, telling everyone else how to play the game.

Shaqiri was brought on at the mancs. It didn't work.
      Sturrudge was brought on at the mancs. It didn't work.
      Origi was brought on at the mancs. It didn't work.

3 forwards brought on, no reward. So he should do it again?

You got your explanation, we got our point. If you want to find out why we didn't get more, there are others to point the finger at.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #838: Mar 05, 2019 07:31:25 pm
      We appointed a former Rangers coach before. That started the title famine. I'm not very keen to repeat it. Carra has his licence, he just doesn't want to coach. He prefers to be a pundit, telling everyone else how to play the game.

You got your explanation, we got our point. If you want to find out why we didn't get more, there are others to point the finger at.
      Shaqiri was a midfielder against Mancs and he should be deployed as a forward.
      Scottbot

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #839: Mar 05, 2019 07:37:38 pm
      It's an unpopular opinion and I don't care. It's my opinion and attack it all you want, it's a forum.

We had a massive lead and now we are behind, we dropped points to West Ham and Leicester and people are saying the reason we aren't top is because City are financially doping? It's a Kopout! We aren't top because we had a sh*te run of form after a sh*te transfer window.

I didn't say sack Klopp, but if it's the summer of 2020 and there's no trophy that will be the 5 year mark and I'd replace at that point "if he gets to the 5 year mark with no trophy".

That's fair and take this out of context all you like, you all love to do that and accuse me if being a WUM, but as a fan I want trophies and you mediocre worshippers are WUMS to me.

Moderators, moderate abuse not opinions please!!!!! The behave comment is ludicrous.

Someone telling you to behave is not abuse so stop being a donut.

As for the massive lead lead let's not get too carried away here. We had a seven point lead going into an away game with City. Of course it would been nice to win that game but then not many have done that at their place in the last couple of years so unfortunately that massive lead quickly turned into a four point lead.
      Admittedly Koop has got a little bit defensive and conservative for my liking but in essence I think are paying for our lack of quality squad depth in comparison to this City side who have ridiculous talent at virtually every position. Unfortunately a few of our lads have hit a rough trot of form such as Salah and Firmino a little while back and the replacements like Shapiri and Studge have lost the form that they themselves showed earlier in the season. We simply look a couple of quality players short to sustain the challenge.

It's important also to recognise we had some luck during our unbeaten start to the season, a couple of soft penalties, the late winner against he bitters and very few critical injuries to deal with. That luck hasn't really been there of late.

How about cutting out the bleating though. I'm starting ridiculous to post something you know to be a bit inflammatory and whinge when it gets a bit spicy. You do it time and time again and it's gotten old and repetitive.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #840: Mar 05, 2019 08:07:18 pm
      Did I strike a nerve....?

Were you one of those who defended Rafa's comments on Klopp and can't admit that now...?

Like most of your posts on here I don’t have a scoobie what you are on about.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #841: Mar 05, 2019 08:23:44 pm

Well hang on the other day you were giving it the big 'un after i said we can't rely on Origi Shaqiri and Sturridge. You came back at me with Origi earnt us 2 points against Everton, Shaq likewise against United and Sturridge a point against Chelsea.

I did tell you at the time that that was small fry in terms of what stand in players in a top team should be offering a side so it at least now looks like we both agree on something.

We need far better than Origi and Sturridge as back up strikers.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #842: Mar 05, 2019 08:33:11 pm

By that logic once something fails it should never be attempted again, not matter how different the circumstances are. We have a limited pool of players to draw upon, those players have to be picked as subs if they don't start, sooner or later. Klopp's substitutions at United showed he wanted to win the game. His subs away at Everton  showed he didn't want to lose the game. Two very different things. The vast majority of anger after the Everton game was these meek substitutions. Fans would rather us have gone down swinging. After all, where's the difference between one and two points behind? Either amount means a City loss puts us back ahead of them, neither means a City draw is good enough to take us top becauses of goal difference, so why not try win the game?
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #843: Mar 05, 2019 09:02:40 pm
      Well hang on the other day you were giving it the big 'un after i said we can't rely on Origi Shaqiri and Sturridge. You came back at me with Origi earnt us 2 points against Everton, Shaq likewise against United and Sturridge a point against Chelsea.

I did tell you at the time that that was small fry in terms of what stand in players in a top team should be offering a side so it at least now looks like we both agree on something.

In my opinion Shaqiri is the best person to rotate with the front 3, he's rotated with Henderson instead whist Lallana went into the front 3. Klopp's substitutes have been a shambles once taking off the rose tinted goggles.
      lfc across the water
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #844: Mar 05, 2019 10:59:51 pm
      Quote from fields of anny rd

That wasn't my point tbh. I wasn't questioning the squad depth, I was explaining why Klopp made the subs he did when he did.

Quote from 5timesacharm
      By that logic once something fails it should never be attempted again, not matter how different the circumstances are. We have a limited pool of players to draw upon, those players have to be picked as subs if they don't start, sooner or later. Klopp's substitutions at United showed he wanted to win the game. His subs away at Everton  showed he didn't want to lose the game. Two very different things. The vast majority of anger after the Everton game was these meek substitutions. Fans would rather us have gone down swinging.

When we drop the ball, there's meltdown. Even if we draw nowadays, there's meltdown. Losing the derby would mean anarchy.

We get a point at Chelsea. We "didn't deserve it".
      We get a point at Arsenal. Mass panic.
      We get a point at Everton. The "league is over".

That's the type of debate that Jürgen has to deal with. It's why he snaps at reporters asking him the same questions again and again and again.

If he sacrificed a midfielder for a forward  and we subsequently lost, he would have to listen to press and pundits and fans saying he was reckless. We played 4 forwards during the game, more than enough ammo to score the one goal we needed.

We have 70 points, an unbelievable total at this stage of the season, with no top 4 worries. There's still time to make it an even better season.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #845: Mar 05, 2019 11:08:54 pm
      We get a point at Chelsea. We "didn't deserve it".
      We get a point at Arsenal. Mass panic.
      We get a point at Everton. The "league is over".
      What about Leicester and West Ham? You deliberately omitted those. We aren't winning the league because of the results to lower teams not the ones you mentioned.
      lfc across the water
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #846: Mar 05, 2019 11:51:16 pm
      I picked out 3 draws. I could have picked any draw this season, the reaction is more or less the same.

We've dropped 6 points to lower teams all season, City have been losing to them. It's a league campaign. It's won and lost over 38 games, against all kinds of teams. We're 9 points clear of the side we've finished below in 8 of the last 9 years. That's the bigger picture. The level of progress in the past 12 months, let alone 3.5 years, is staggering.

I know how it feels to win the league. It's better than the European Cup. We were not expected to win the league this season, still aren't. At the start of the season, I personally thought we would need to wait another 12 months to be ready. We were panicking against Tranmere in pre season, drawing 0-0 at Bury and it looked like nothing was learned.

I want that title back as much as everyone else, but if we fall short this year, it's still been a great season. It's different to Rafa who was brought in specifically to win the league title, so when he didn't win the league then imo he didn't do the job. Klopp was brought to finish in the top 4, so if we don't win the title, I won't be calling for him to be sacked. Anything more than top 4 is a bonus. This title challenge is the bonus. It should be enjoyed, not crying about what coulda/woulda/shoulda been.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #847: Mar 06, 2019 03:02:43 am
      It's different to Rafa who was brought in specifically to win the league title, so when he didn't win the league then imo he didn't do the job. Klopp was brought to finish in the top 4, so if we don't win the title, I won't be calling for him to be sacked. Anything more than top 4 is a bonus. This title challenge is the bonus. It should be enjoyed, not crying about what coulda/woulda/shoulda been.

Rafa didn’t win the league with us, so in that regard you are right when you say he failed on that front. But, he did win the Champions League so I think he got himself more than enough credit to not be deemed a failure for not winning the league. Not to mention a few other trophies here and there.

I love Klopp, there isn’t anyone else I would want as manager, I hope he’s here for a long time. But how can you say he was brought in to just finish top 4 when he said this right at the start;

"If I sit here in four years, I am pretty confident we will have one title,"

That isn’t the words of a manager who has been brought into a club with the aim of just finishing top 4.

The amount of money we have spent in the last year isn’t the money spent to just ensure a top 4 finish, it’s to try and win the league.

If we don’t win the league this season then come October/November, 4 years on from Klopp giving that speech, he’d have failed to deliver on his words.

Though, he’s not a Spaniard called Rafa Benitez so it won’t fit your agenda to start calling him a failure because you’re a hypocrite. Oh and just to add, there’s every chance that come the 4 year mark, we won’t have won a single trophy, whilst Rafa had won 4 or 5(?) bits of silverware by that point, with a far weaker team.

If you said to Klopp all he has to do is finish top 4 every season, and nothing else matters other than that, he’d likely tell you to go f**k yourself.
      Klopp isn’t a manager to settle for 2nd best, he’s finished 2nd best far too many times, he’s as desperate as us to win things but it’s his and our rotten luck that we are competing against a team as strong as City...something I’m sure you will use as an excuse for Klopp but slate Rafa despite Rafa having to compete with the finances of Chelsea and United at the time.

Klopp is the best thing that’s happened to us since Rafa, but he won’t be highlighting us as his standout moments in his career if all he has to do to be a success with us is to finish top 4 every year. He’s not at Arsenal, he’s at Liverpool, where there is an expectation to deliver.
      « Last Edit: Mar 06, 2019 03:11:55 am by 7-King Kenny-7 »
      Scottbot

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #848: Mar 06, 2019 07:01:28 am
      In my opinion Shaqiri is the best person to rotate with the front 3, he's rotated with Henderson instead whist Lallana went into the front 3. Klopp's substitutes have been a shambles once taking off the rose tinted goggles.

Shaqiri’s form has not been good since scoring two against the mancs, in fact he has been really off his game, I thought he was terrible at Trafford when he came on. I would argue that is why he out of favour. The much bigger head scratcher is the omission of Keita who was just beginning to find some real form.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #849: Mar 06, 2019 07:10:35 am
      Rafa didn’t win the league with us, so in that regard you are right when you say he failed on that front. But, he did win the Champions League so I think he got himself more than enough credit to not be deemed a failure for not winning the league. Not to mention a few other trophies here and there.

I love Klopp, there isn’t anyone else I would want as manager, I hope he’s here for a long time. But how can you say he was brought in to just finish top 4 when he said this right at the start;

"If I sit here in four years, I am pretty confident we will have one title,"

That isn’t the words of a manager who has been brought into a club with the aim of just finishing top 4.

The amount of money we have spent in the last year isn’t the money spent to just ensure a top 4 finish, it’s to try and win the league.

If we don’t win the league this season then come October/November, 4 years on from Klopp giving that speech, he’d have failed to deliver on his words.

Though, he’s not a Spaniard called Rafa Benitez so it won’t fit your agenda to start calling him a failure because you’re a hypocrite. Oh and just to add, there’s every chance that come the 4 year mark, we won’t have won a single trophy, whilst Rafa had won 4 or 5(?) bits of silverware by that point, with a far weaker team.

If you said to Klopp all he has to do is finish top 4 every season, and nothing else matters other than that, he’d likely tell you to go f**k yourself.
      Klopp isn’t a manager to settle for 2nd best, he’s finished 2nd best far too many times, he’s as desperate as us to win things but it’s his and our rotten luck that we are competing against a team as strong as City...something I’m sure you will use as an excuse for Klopp but slate Rafa despite Rafa having to compete with the finances of Chelsea and United at the time.

Klopp is the best thing that’s happened to us since Rafa, but he won’t be highlighting us as his standout moments in his career if all he has to do to be a success with us is to finish top 4 every year. He’s not at Arsenal, he’s at Liverpool, where there is an expectation to deliver.
      I agree with this, but as strong as city are we can't keep using that as an excuse, 4 draws in 6 games isn't title winning form. It's not like City are unbeaten or anything. We can't using City's strength as an excuse for our recent poor performance when it's entirely separate.
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,318 posts | 1611 
      Reply #850: Mar 06, 2019 08:59:28 am
      Shaqiri’s form has not been good since scoring two against the mancs, in fact he has been really off his game, I thought he was terrible at Trafford when he came on. I would argue that is why he out of favour. The much bigger head scratcher is the omission of Keita who was just beginning to find some real form.
      People banging the Shaqiri drum are forgetting one thing ,he’s been poor in almost every game he starts , and when the going gets tough he disappears ,
      It’s no shock to me he doesn’t start these type of games ,
       At the moment our midfield simply isn’t contributing enough , wether that’s goals or assists, both areas are shockingly poor at the moment for a team with title ambitions , I think Jürgen expected a hell of a lot more out of Naby , then the whole dynamics of the midfield would have altered ,
      Not getting a Fekir type player and the form of Naby has greatly influenced the midfield .

Quick Reply