Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Jürgen Klopp - LFC Manager - 2018/19 Edition

Read 186630 times
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Re: Jürgen Klopp - LFC Manager - 2018/19 Edition
      Reply #851: Mar 06, 2019 11:10:03 am
      I  don't know if we will win it this year or not, my heart says we won't but the bigger picture here is ensuring we compete year on year. LFC have NEVER put together back to back title challenges since the Premier League cam into play, in fact every time we have had a decent run at it we have imploded the following year. In 2002 Houliier's 'ten games from greatness' talk saw us limp out of the Champions League and the League in the space of a couple of weeks and then we were shocking the following year (despite winning a League Cup). In 2008-09 Rafa's Reds nearly did it but then we sold Alonso, had injuries to Torres and didn't invest properly to push on again. Similar story in 2013-14 with Suarez going and a  raft of mediocre shi...te signings coming in to replace him.

Klopp and Edwards have absolutely knocked it out the park so far as transfers go. VVD, Allison, Wjinaldum, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Mane, Salah have been spectacular signings. Add those to the development of youngsters like Gomez and Trent and you can see we're in great shape. We do look a bit short in the depth department but so long as we can keep this team together and continue to add to it I fully expect us to be in the race for the title every year. I think it's important to keep that in mind if it doesn't happen for us this year. And as for the minority of idiots who allude to Klopp being under pressure if he doesn't win a trophy this year blah blah blah just look at the progress he has made, 3 Finals, about to secure 3rd consecutive season in the Champions League, has us in the thick of a Title Challenge against possibly the best side we've seen in the last 20 years. He's got my vote this season (no matter what happens and beyond).
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #852: Mar 06, 2019 01:30:02 pm
      I agree with this, but as strong as city are we can't keep using that as an excuse, 4 draws in 6 games isn't title winning form. It's not like City are unbeaten or anything. We can't using City's strength as an excuse for our recent poor performance when it's entirely separate.

It’s not a case of using anything as an excuse and where have I even mentioned our current form in that post? Before last season, if we were having the season we are now, with this points tally so far then the chances are we would be clear of everyone, there wouldn’t be another team doing just as good so the facts speak for themselves; last season they got 100 points and this season, although they can’t quite get that tally again, they won’t be far off. Our recent form has nothing to do with City and I’m not using City as an excuse for it but when a team amassed just short of 200 points in 2 seasons, they are something pretty formidable.
      Norfolk Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,154 posts | 499 
      Reply #853: Mar 06, 2019 01:44:25 pm
      It’s not a case of using anything as an excuse and where have I even mentioned our current form in that post? Before last season, if we were having the season we are now, with this points tally so far then the chances are we would be clear of everyone, there wouldn’t be another team doing just as good so the facts speak for themselves; last season they got 100 points and this season, although they can’t quite get that tally again, they won’t be far off. Our recent form has nothing to do with City and I’m not using City as an excuse for it but when a team amassed just short of 200 points in 2 seasons, they are something pretty formidable.

Good post, Man City are a great team with strength in depth and seems like a never ending cheque book, but we are getting better every season under Jürgen, and the gap between us and City has closed considerably this season and we could still win the damn thing.
      Surely we should be judged on the end of the season and not with 9 games to go.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #854: Mar 06, 2019 08:01:43 pm
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #855: Mar 06, 2019 08:05:16 pm
      Madrid can f**k off. He's needed right now. I wouldn't be against him going there in 2020 if he had still not won anything, but for now he should remain our manager.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #856: Mar 06, 2019 08:06:41 pm
      Madrid can f**k off. He's needed right now. I wouldn't be against him going there in 2020 of he had still not won anything, but for now he should remain our manager.

2020, how about you F**k off to Madrid aye?..

Back to the article.. lazy journalism... 👍🏼
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #857: Mar 06, 2019 08:11:55 pm
      2020, how about you f**k off to Madrid aye?..

Back to the article.. lazy journalism... 👍🏼
      It's not lazy journalism. Mirror, Telegraph, Independent and Echo...etc all going with same story.
      Scottbot

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #858: Mar 06, 2019 10:26:05 pm
      Madrid can f**k off. He's needed right now. I wouldn't be against him going there in 2020 if he had still not won anything, but for now he should remain our manager.

So if we don't win the league or the Champions League by the end of next season they can have him??? That's really telling them to Fu....ck off is that.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #859: Mar 07, 2019 02:05:31 am

I'm confused??? A few posts ago, I'm sure you said he shouldn't be our Manager, now you don't want RM to get him and say "F**k off".

Do you want Jürgen or not?
      ruthcity

• 6,867 posts | 1465 
      Reply #860: Mar 07, 2019 01:09:37 pm
      I'm confused??? A few posts ago, I'm sure you said he shouldn't be our Manager, now you don't want RM to get him and say "f**k off".

Do you want Jürgen or not?

Let me attempt to answer... When Klopp draws or loses, he should be gone. No room for error. Klopp buys himself another match when he wins. In other words, we would have Klopp living on borrowed time because by now we should have won everything available.  :f_whistle:

Am I heartless or what? Oh I forgot, no room for sentiment. None! Win or get lost! :lmao:
      « Last Edit: Mar 07, 2019 01:16:58 pm by ruthcity »
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #861: Mar 07, 2019 03:06:38 pm

"Madrid can f**k off, until next year"

What planet are you living on, kid?
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #862: Mar 07, 2019 03:22:53 pm
      It's not lazy journalism. Mirror, Telegraph, Independent and Echo...etc all going with same story.

Theyre all lazy journos nowadays, Ive no time for most of them.

they're in the business of clickbait, and robbing stories of twitter.

papers are becoming Irrelevant.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #863: Mar 07, 2019 10:35:13 pm
      Let me attempt to answer... When Klopp draws or loses, he should be gone. No room for error. Klopp buys himself another match when he wins. In other words, we would have Klopp living on borrowed time because by now we should have won everything available.  :f_whistle:

Am I heartless or what? Oh I forgot, no room for sentiment. None! Win or get lost! :lmao:

Thanks for clearing that up mate.  ;D
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #864: Mar 07, 2019 10:42:06 pm
      I will clear it up myself. If at summer 2020 we have no trophies, that will be the 5 year mark. At that point we should assess our managerial options. Klopp has been here 4 years now, it would be harsh all round if he left now. He really should give it another year if he messes this season up.
      RedKop114
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 71 posts |
      Reply #865: Mar 08, 2019 08:27:08 am
      Klopp is a perfect coach for us as the main reason for the drop in form is a short bench.
      skamp
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 834 posts | 306 
      Reply #866: Mar 08, 2019 08:53:00 am
      the main reason for the drop in form is a short bench.
      The likes of Shaqiri are never going to get any taller....  :f_tongueincheek:
      skolRED
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,132 posts | 256 
      Reply #867: Mar 08, 2019 11:01:32 am
      Klopp is a perfect coach for us as the main reason for the drop in form is a short bench.
      imho
      a perfect coach
      should not have
      a short bench

FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #868: Mar 08, 2019 11:26:19 am
      imho
      a perfect coach
      should not have
      a short bench

So a perfect coach should be a doctor that can magically heal injured players as well?
      Scottbot

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #869: Mar 08, 2019 12:18:19 pm
      I will clear it up myself. If at summer 2020 we have no trophies, that will be the 5 year mark. At that point we should assess our managerial options. Klopp has been here 4 years now, it would be harsh all round if he left now. He really should give it another year if he messes this season up.

So let's assume for your argument sake that:

- We don't win either trophy this year
      - We have a similar year next year (ie. challenge for the title but don't win it), have a Champions League run and qualify for the Champions League for the following season.

So that's that then, time for a managerial change? Move on Klopp.

- If that played out he would have achieved 2 back to back title challenges (something we have never managed since the inception of the Premier League)
      - 4 consecutive appearance in the Champions League (something we haven't managed since 2005-2009)
      - 3 final appearances (Champions League, UEFA Cup, League Cup)
      - He will have strengthened the squad significantly with a very very reasonable net spend. Consider Allisson, Mane, Salah, Van Dyke, Wjinaldum, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Robertson the list goes on...…..

Posts like this are the reason you get so much sh....it on this board.
      « Last Edit: Mar 08, 2019 01:04:53 pm by Scottbot »
      +12
      Tayls

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #870: Mar 08, 2019 12:45:46 pm
      The fact that anyone can even discuss future hypothetical scenarios, that may or may not transpire, whilst we are in the midst of one of the most exciting, tense and bloody close title races in recent history, boggles my mind. I get we're here to discuss the club and hypothetical scenarios are part of that, but I don't understand why some people can't just enjoy what's happening right now in front of your eyes.
      Scottbot

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #871: Mar 08, 2019 01:06:17 pm
      The fact that anyone can even discuss future hypothetical scenarios, that may or may not transpire, whilst we are in the midst of one of the most exciting, tense and bloody close title races in recent history, boggles my mind. I get we're here to discuss the club and hypothetical scenarios are part of that, but I don't understand why some people can't just enjoy what's happening right now in front of your eyes.

When some talk hypothetical bollox it drives others to debunk it.

But I fully agree with you! Roll on Sunday.....
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,080 posts | 805 
      Reply #872: Mar 08, 2019 02:49:53 pm
      So let's assume for your argument sake that:

- We don't win either trophy this year
      - We have a similar year next year (ie. challenge for the title but don't win it), have a Champions League run and qualify for the Champions League for the following season.

So that's that then, time for a managerial change? Move on Klopp.

- If that played out he would have achieved 2 back to back title challenges (something we have never managed since the inception of the Premier League)
      - 4 consecutive appearance in the Champions League (something we haven't managed since 2005-2009)
      - 3 final appearances (Champions League, UEFA Cup, League Cup)
      - He will have strengthened the squad significantly with a very very reasonable net spend. Consider Allisson, Mane, Salah, Van Dyke, Wjinaldum, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Robertson the list goes on...…..

Posts like this are the reason you get so much sh....it on this board.

At the end of the day Scott, trophies do matter. Title challenges and consistency are all good, but it still falls below our expectation to win things just like we did in the premier league era under Houllier and Rafa. In the future we want to talk about how we won finals and not title challenges or how many points we got in a given season or other irrelevant stats like least goals conceded/most goals scored. If we don't end up winning anything this season then I just hope Klopp re-asses his squad this summer and strengthen in positions we really need to and try to win something next season.

Scottbot

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #873: Mar 08, 2019 03:36:11 pm
      At the end of the day Scott, trophies do matter. Title challenges and consistency are all good, but it still falls below our expectation to win things just like we did in the premier league era under Houllier and Rafa. In the future we want to talk about how we won finals and not title challenges or how many points we got in a given season or other irrelevant stats like least goals conceded/most goals scored. If we don't end up winning anything this season then I just hope Klopp re-asses his squad this summer and strengthen in positions we really need to and try to win something next season.

Of course they matter but you have to put yourself in a position to challenge for them year in and year out. Klopp is doing that, regardless of whether he delivers the league this season or next we have to be in a position where we are challenging. In the past we have never been able to challenge consistently. If Klopp has us challenging for the league again next season he will have my vote 100% regardless of whether we win the thing. The only reason we are challenging this year is because he has consistently hit on his transfer targets, his record with transfers is simply stunning (you can only point to Karius as being an absolute failure and he cost pennies in real terms).

The same also applies to the Champions League, people in the media and fans will bemoan the fact Top 4 didn't mean anything back in the day and it's trophies that matter BUT your foundation for challenging for the big prizes lies in consistently qualifying for this competition. That's your base camp if you like. It arms you with the finances to compete for the top players and enables you to attract them because that's the competition they want to play in. Next season will be our 3rd consecutive season in Europe's top competition and given that we have a genuine Top 6 competing to play every year that is an achievement not to be sniffed at.

Quick Reply