Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Jürgen Klopp - LFC Manager - 2018/19 Edition

Read 186596 times
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Re: Jürgen Klopp - LFC Manager - 2018/19 Edition
      Reply #874: Mar 08, 2019 03:54:57 pm
      It's something that has happened and something that may well happen again this season. It's very fine lines in sport and it isn't always fair. If Klopp won the CL last season and the league this season he would go down as our greatest manager in the modern PL era no doubt. If he finishes runner up in both then no matter that he's got us consistently challenging he won't.

Rafa despite only giving us 1 good PL challenge has that honour for me for delivering us a Champions League and FA cup success.

Klopp has put together a squad of players capable of winning a trophy so with that comes pressure to deliver.

Any trophy this season would have taken the pressure off in that regard. The 2 we are still in can earn him legendary status but there are some big fishes after both.

The ethos of the club is that Liverpool exists to win trophies. I don't think we should lay that to rest just to give Jürgen a break.

If he fails this season then of course I don't think pressure for his job here should be in question. This is just about his long term legacy. Top 4 finishes and nearly moments in finals is sadly for all of us not going to cut it.

2011 certainly seems a long time ago now for me. It was only the league cup and certainly no bigger achievement than what we are doing now. But again sport isn't fair and the game is based around (from a fans POV) trophies won.
      « Last Edit: Mar 08, 2019 04:01:22 pm by fields of anny rd »
      The Real Donavan Ried
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #875: Mar 08, 2019 04:14:01 pm
      It's something that has happened and something that may well happen again this season. It's very fine lines in sport and it isn't always fair. If Klopp won the CL last season and the league this season he would go down as our greatest manager in the modern PL era no doubt. If he finishes runner up in both then no matter that he's got us consistently challenging he won't.

Rafa despite only giving us 1 good PL challenge has that honour for me for delivering us a Champions League and FA cup success.

Klopp has put together a squad of players capable of winning a trophy so with that comes pressure to deliver.

Any trophy this season would have taken the pressure off in that regard. The 2 we are still in can earn him legendary status but there are some big fishes after both.

The ethos of the club is that Liverpool exists to win trophies. I don't think we should lay that to rest just to give Jürgen a break.

If he fails this season then of course I don't think pressure for his job here should be in question. This is just about his long term legacy. Top 4 finishes and nearly moments in finals is sadly for all of us not going to cut it.

2011 certainly seems a long time ago now for me. It was only the league cup and certainly no bigger achievement than what we are doing now. But again sport isn't fair and the game is based around (from a fans POV) trophies won.

Nice post mate
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #876: Mar 08, 2019 05:31:07 pm
      Have no doubt that once we’ve won a trophy, we will win them regularly again. The fact he’s been runner up so many times isn’t through a lack of managerial ability, it’s just lacking that one bit of consistency in the team. The finals we’ve gotten to with Klopp so far, we’ve been completely fu**ed over by either the defence or the keeper. Now we are rock solid in that area.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #877: Mar 08, 2019 06:40:44 pm
      Klopps won 1/7 finals and lost 6/7.
      3 of those have been here.
      At least one of those were avoidable, we had other options than Moreno!
      It's not all about luck.
      2nd isn't a trophy, he needs to win things here.  I have no doubt if he didn't play Moreno, we would have won a trophy and qualified for CL quicker. These are the fine margins.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #878: Mar 08, 2019 06:53:26 pm
      Klopps won 1/7 finals and lost 6/7.
      3 of those have been here.
      At least one of those were avoidable, we had other options than Moreno!
      It's not all about luck.
      2nd isn't a trophy, he needs to win things here.  I have no doubt if he didn't play Moreno, we would have won a trophy and qualified for CL quicker. These are the fine margins.

What were his other options exactly, other than Moreno?
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,937 posts | 502 
      Reply #879: Mar 08, 2019 08:34:16 pm
      What were his other options exactly, other than Moreno?

Milner. He'd played at LB the odd time that season, and done pretty well, and some on here ( ie me) were wanting him played there in the final rather than Berto. (The following season he was of course our LB nearly all season.)

Just saying. I'm not agreeing with Rib on anything else.  ;D
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #880: Mar 08, 2019 09:43:25 pm
      Milner. He'd played at LB the odd time that season, and done pretty well, and some on here ( ie me) were wanting him played there in the final rather than Berto. (The following season he was of course our LB nearly all season.)

Just saying. I'm not agreeing with Rib on anything else.  ;D

But if we had played Milner there and we’d still not won and he made mistakes then people would say how we should have gone for Moreno. Just look at the stick Milner has come in for playing at RB this season!

But it’s all irrelevant because whoever played there, Migs would still have no doubt messed up.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #881: Mar 08, 2019 10:56:31 pm
      Quote from 7-King Kenny-7
      Rafa didn’t win the league with us, so in that regard you are right when you say he failed on that front.

I love Klopp, there isn’t anyone else I would want as manager, I hope he’s here for a long time. But how can you say he was brought in to just finish top 4 when he said this right at the start;

"If I sit here in four years, I am pretty confident we will have one title,"

That isn’t the words of a manager who has been brought into a club with the aim of just finishing top 4.

The amount of money we have spent in the last year isn’t the money spent to just ensure a top 4 finish, it’s to try and win the league.

If we don’t win the league this season then come October/November, 4 years on from Klopp giving that speech, he’d have failed to deliver on his words.

Though, he’s not a Spaniard called Rafa Benitez so it won’t fit your agenda to start calling him a failure because you’re a hypocrite.

Klopp is the best thing that’s happened to us since Rafa, but he won’t be highlighting us as his standout moments in his career if all he has to do to be a success with us is to finish top 4 every year. He’s not at Arsenal, he’s at Liverpool, where there is an expectation to deliver.

Not hypocritical at all. We hope to win the European Cup, we don't expect it, because (unlike the league) if/when something goes wrong, there's often not much time to put it right, minutes possibly. Guardiola hasn't won it in 8 years, yet he's still expected to win it every year, and if he hasn't, then people say "great job done, but..."

Klopp's minimum acceptable target every year is top 4. He's on course to meet that 3 years running, so he will have done what was expected of him. The reason is because of the position we were in the table when he joined, and also it is the target the owners want every year. As regards the 4 year mark, in this case it's after 4 full seasons in the job.

In terms of the financial muscle, you know his statement about clubs spending large sums of money on transfers. He would rather buy someone like Robbo and develop him instead. But we splashed the cash on a few players in the summer. Other clubs have done likewise and several have to settle for a top 4 race atm, many don't even have that. Our last opponent had a forward playing against us who cost them 50mn quid, a fairly average forward at that. Where are they? Mid table. Another club blew double that on their entire team last summer. It's got them 2 coaches sacked and staring at the drop. Flashing the cash may be a helping hand, but whether you're at the top or bottom of the league, it must be spent wisely.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #882: Mar 09, 2019 12:51:35 am
      But if we had played Milner there and we’d still not won and he made mistakes then people would say how we should have gone for Moreno. Just look at the stick Milner has come in for playing at RB this season!

But it’s all irrelevant because whoever played there, Migs would still have no doubt messed up.
      Moreno gifted that game to Sevilla. Moreno's mistake was amateur and they scored immediately, Milner wouldn't have done that.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #883: Mar 09, 2019 01:24:18 am
      Moreno gifted that game to Sevilla. Moreno's mistake was amateur and they scored immediately, Milner wouldn't have done that.

Migs was at fault in that game too. Also you don't know what Milner would or wouldn't have done. I hate it when people say if such and such had played then we'd have won, or that mistake wouldn't have happened or would have scored etc. It's rubbish, complete rubbish because the game would have been completely different, it's looking at something hypothetically which is pointless, you just end up going around in circles. Milner could have played there and we could have got battered 6-0 for all we know. The fact remains though, that regardless of the circumstances in which we lost that final, and other finals under Klopp, we are two/three times better as a team now. We have probably without doubt the worlds best CB now and arguably the worlds best keeper (or at least in the top 2 or 3). We now have a top quality left back and ust generally so much better as a team. The fact we got to the Europa League final almost feels like a victory in itself because if you look back at that team, there wasn't half some sh*t playing. Ultimately, if you have to rely on the likes of Migs, Moreno, Clyne, Lallana, Sakho and whoever else in a final, your chances really are 50-50 at best. Back then our defence was completely and utterly horrific. I don't know about yourself but for me, I'm 28 now and that defence and keeper we had up until recently is arguably the worst I have ever seen us have...in fact it was the worst no two ways about it. When you look at a position and genuinely think Djimi Traore could have put in a better shift, you know you have problems.

I'm probably straying off point a bit but I feel now, that even just a season on from last years final where we didn't really put up much of a fight against Madrid after Salah went off, I think we are in a position now where if Salah went off, it wouldn't be the end of the game for us.

Now I've gotten to this point, I'm not really sure what we are actually discussing because I've had a few whiskeys and generally gotten a bit lost! So to summarise...Klopp 1st year squad = bang average. Klopp squad now = bring the fuckers on!!
      ruthcity

• 6,867 posts | 1465 
      Reply #884: Mar 09, 2019 01:18:31 pm
      I hate it when people say if such and such had played then we'd have won, or that mistake wouldn't have happened or would have scored etc. It's rubbish, complete rubbish because the game would have been completely different, it's looking at something hypothetically which is pointless, you just end up going around in circles.

"We could've been 7-10 points ahead..." Take it like a man!  :mad:  :f_whistle:  :f_steam:
      bmck

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #885: Mar 09, 2019 02:30:27 pm
      Jürgen Klopp says Liverpool are primed for what promises to be one of the most thrilling Premier League climaxes in history, but his team will not ‘go nuts’ in their efforts to secure the prize.

The Liverpool manager insisted desperation to end a 29-year wait for the championship will not impact on strategy and performance, vowing to stand by the principles that have brought his team so far this season.

“The target is to win the game – not to go nuts in the game,” said Klopp. “The way we did it brought us where we are and if someone thinks we should now be 10 points ahead of City I can’t help this person. We are trying for the first time [for the title] and for the first time we are not in a bad position. Let's do what brought us here, plus more intensity if possible. With a positive atmosphere around us, let’s try it and not be this little weak flower.

“We are in a position that I don’t think a lot of people expected with nine games to go. Let’s try everything. Be positive, be lively, be on the front foot, be a real threat, use your power, all your skills and then we will see.”

Klopp came in for some mild criticism after goalless draws against Manchester United and Everton, the suggestion being he could have been more adventurous chasing a winning goal in the final stages of those fixtures.

Naby Keita was left on the bench in both games, and Xherdan Shaqiri has also featured less over the past six weeks. Klopp suggested the analysis of his side’s performances came into the category of "try it, if it doesn’t work, s***, let's try another way”.

“That’s not how I understand the game,” said Klopp. “That is not how it works. That is why I was a bit disappointed in the last press conference because we don’t play Playstation. It is all a sign of being desperate. ‘Let’s try that way. Oh that doesn’t work, let’s try that way’.

“We are good at creating. We're creating much more than last season. In the last few games we didn't score as often, but 10 days ago we played against Watford and we were flying. Everything was brilliant. Then we have a draw and we talk again about finishing. It's all about realising what kind of situation you're in and using it, working it, and stuff like that. Not thinking about how it was weeks ago.
      “It is about our situation in training and what is needed individually for the next opponent. That is all that we think about. We don’t stick to one formation or the other. It is not that we are stubborn and think about one system.

“I can remember when we played 4-4-1-1 and it was really good in the beginning and then people started talking about not winning the games in the manner they wanted us to win saying, ‘Is that really the right system? Why doesn’t Mo Salah play on the wing?’ There is always a reason to talk.”

Klopp said there are reasons Keita and Shaqiri have played less in recent weeks. “We have to think about a lot of things before a game," he explained. “Naby is actually in a good moment and has trained well. It's only been the last three games he didn't play too much. If we play the system we play most of the time then there are only three positions [in midfield]. Somebody has to be out, but it's all good. They are all fit and we can use them all.

“Shaq had a little injury and was out. There was something with his back and he needed a little time. It affected him and that's all. He's fully fit now.”

At the start of the season, Klopp’s hope was for Liverpool to still have a title chance at this point of a season. Despite recent draws, he thinks his squad is conditioned to be at their best from herein.

“One hundred per cent. That is my feeling at the moment,” said Klopp. “Everything is prepared for that. It looks as positive as it has been since I don’t know when. People are coming back. We had to go through situations with two centre halves, one centre-half plus Fabinho. We came through. In midfield there were three players left. To cope and deal with all of the situations in the season - that is the art, that is what it is about and then if you do that then you are in a situation that pretty much all the other teams want to be.

“If there is a chance for us with winning all our games, getting as many points as possible, then we will be there. If there is a final match day and we go for it, wonderful. If there are two match days, wonderful. But we have nine matches and the one to play now is Burnley.”
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,080 posts | 805 
      Reply #886: Mar 09, 2019 05:41:28 pm
      Of course they matter but you have to put yourself in a position to challenge for them year in and year out. Klopp is doing that, regardless of whether he delivers the league this season or next we have to be in a position where we are challenging. In the past we have never been able to challenge consistently. If Klopp has us challenging for the league again next season he will have my vote 100% regardless of whether we win the thing. The only reason we are challenging this year is because he has consistently hit on his transfer targets, his record with transfers is simply stunning (you can only point to Karius as being an absolute failure and he cost pennies in real terms).

The same also applies to the Champions League, people in the media and fans will bemoan the fact Top 4 didn't mean anything back in the day and it's trophies that matter BUT your foundation for challenging for the big prizes lies in consistently qualifying for this competition. That's your base camp if you like. It arms you with the finances to compete for the top players and enables you to attract them because that's the competition they want to play in. Next season will be our 3rd consecutive season in Europe's top competition and given that we have a genuine Top 6 competing to play every year that is an achievement not to be sniffed at.

Like I said mate, I agree, challenging for the title consistently is a good indicator of improvement, however, even though under Rafa and Houllier we didn't do it on a consistent basis we still won the Champions League, 2 FA cups, 2 League cups and the UEFA cup. These are also indicator of how we used to win trophies on a regular basis and that's where we should be. We have to expect to be at that level.  Rafa improved on winning the CL by getting 3rd spot and winning the FA Cup then building a title challenging team until off field politics and lousy owners undo everything we were building. Klopp has improved us big time by signing the right players and getting us to challenge for the title against a mega rich club but would that be enough? Ask yourself this, if we keep going the same way we've been going until 2022 (Klopp's end of contract) by consistently trying to win the league but not adding anything to the trophy cabinet, wouldn't you start having doubts if we can go up another level?

I still hope we win something this season though!

That's why I get some fans who are feeling frustrated. The last time we put a trophy in our cabinet is back in 2011 and that's a really long time. Not everyone is patient these days nor we should expect everyone to be in the same mindset. As much as I like Klopp, he has till 2022 to prove everyone who doubted him wrong and to win us a few trophies a long the way. My expectation in the summer given that we signed a WC keeper and midfielders was to win something and a title challenge. I did not expect going to end of Jan in first place but I really hope we win something at the end. We are still in 2 competitions and let's try our best, if not we build on for next season.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,874 posts | 805 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #887: Mar 10, 2019 08:23:29 pm
      Surprised no one has been in here to congratulate Klopp's decision to start Lallana.

Lallana was a great fit for what was needed from the team going forward today, Burnley can be on their best day one of the hardest teams to break down and today we needed a player who could combat that and Klopp thought it to be Adam and he was right. He picked up some great positions, made a couple of great runs and helped press off the ball.

Nice one gaffer!
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #888: Mar 10, 2019 08:50:33 pm
      Surprised no one has been in here to congratulate Klopp's decision to start Lallana.

Lallana was a great fit for what was needed from the team going forward today, Burnley can be on their best day one of the hardest teams to break down and today we needed a player who could combat that and Klopp thought it to be Adam and he was right. He picked up some great positions, made a couple of great runs and helped press off the ball.

Nice one gaffer!

Bang on the money there. A few had sharpened their knives when they saw the first eleven. But as ever Jürgen knows best. Who'd have thought it?!
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,874 posts | 805 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #889: Mar 10, 2019 09:03:55 pm
      Bang on the money there. A few had sharpened their knives when they saw the first eleven. But as ever Jürgen knows best. Who'd have thought it?!

Initially I was confused as anyone but I thought to myself if Adam can play a good game he is what we need, I much rather see a midfield three with on attacking midfield rather than none and today Adam was that attacking midfielder.

It was a good move by the gaffer!
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #890: Mar 10, 2019 10:53:12 pm
      When I first saw the line up, I thought what the F**k?

Jürgen knows best obviously and Adam played the sort of game we all know he has in his locker.

Could be great having him and possibly Ox for the rest of the run in. Gives our midfield that creativeness, guile and trickery we've been looking for lately.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #891: Mar 10, 2019 10:54:51 pm
      When I first saw the line up, I thought what the f**k?

Jürgen knows best obviously and Adam played the sort of game we all know he has in his locker.

Could be great having him and possibly Ox for the rest of the run in. Gives our midfield that creativeness, guile and trickery we've been looking for lately.

Lallana was excellent - really really good.

When he plays like that we always seem to tick
      ruthcity

• 6,867 posts | 1465 
      Reply #892: Mar 11, 2019 11:42:33 am
      Lallana was excellent - really really good.

When he plays like that we always seem to tick

Adam has come in for some stick at times obviously for poor performance in the past. But as far as I'm concerned, Adam is one of the first to be able to understand and execute the pressing that Klopp introduced. I'm always excited to see him play because I know he will go out there and press. Of course he will have an occasional off day, but by and large, I like seeing him play.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #893: Mar 11, 2019 06:02:02 pm
      Jürgen has always been an admirer of Lallana he is the perfect Klopp player and we saw why he was picked yesterday in Mane's goal.
      Why is there so much negativity before every game and every team selection is just madness. This is a record breaking season for us the improvement on last season has been sensational in the league and there is so much still to play for.
      Scottbot

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #894: Mar 11, 2019 06:17:07 pm
      Jürgen has always been an admirer of Lallana he is the perfect Klopp player and we saw why he was picked yesterday in Mane's goal.
      Why is there so much negativity before every game and every team selection is just madness. This is a record breaking season for us the improvement on last season has been sensational in the league and there is so much still to play for.

I think it’s largely because everyone is so desperate for the title.
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,321 posts | 1016 
      Reply #895: Mar 11, 2019 07:18:50 pm
      I will clear it up myself. If at summer 2020 we have no trophies, that will be the 5 year mark. At that point we should assess our managerial options. Klopp has been here 4 years now, it would be harsh all round if he left now. He really should give it another year if he messes this season up.
      You say 4 years, I say he hasn’t yet seen out his 3rd full season. Both correct of course, but just interesting that you look at it the way you do.

He may still deliver a trophy in his third full season however, if he doesn’t, you can be rest assured that there is still no better manager to take this team forward.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #896: Mar 11, 2019 08:02:27 pm
      the world has changed ever since 2004 and Roman bought Chelsea you just cant deny how money has influenced the handing out the Silverware so it is absolute nonsense to qualify success purely by silverware anymore unless you take account of how much a squad cost. Some feel the need to pick holes where non exist attention seeking muppets unable to enjoy this record breaking season.

Quick Reply