Trending Topics

Next match: Dortmund v LFC [Friendly] Fri 19th Jul @ 1:00 am
      University of Notre Dame, Indiana, USA

Today is the 16th of July and on this date LFC's match record is P7 W6 D0 L1

Quarter Finals

Read 5556 times
      RedPuppy
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 17,372 posts | 1926 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Quarter Finals
      Jul 03, 2018 09:52:33 pm
      Uruguay v France
      Brazil v Belgium
      Sweden v England
      Russia v Croatia

srslfc
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 25,861 posts | 2120 
      Re: Quarter Finals
      Reply #1: Jul 03, 2018 09:56:11 pm
      Uruguay
      Belgium
      England
      Croatia
      chats
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,713 posts | 758 
      Reply #2: Jul 03, 2018 10:27:38 pm

Think France will have too much for Uruguay if Cavani is injured.

Agree on the rest though.

srslfc
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 25,861 posts | 2120 
      Reply #3: Jul 03, 2018 10:33:37 pm
      Think France will have too much for Uruguay if Cavani is injured.

Agree on the rest though.

Forgot about Cavani.

Also forgot I tipped France to win the whole thing before it kicked off.  ;D
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,652 posts | 5028 
      • YNWA
      Reply #4: Jul 03, 2018 10:52:58 pm
      The BBC have first dibs on the quarter finals and have unsurprisingly chosen to broadcast England v Sweden on Saturday afternoon.

Imagine if they'd gone for Russia v Croatia.

Still - we won't have to put up with all that 'our brave boys' nonsense from Clive Tyldsley.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 18,802 posts | 2402 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #5: Jul 03, 2018 10:57:42 pm
      Wish Cavani is back because the game won't be the same without him. France are favourites no matter what, but Uruguay have a particularly poor record when one of Cavani or Suarez is unavailable.
      heimdall
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,709 posts | 1868 
      Reply #6: Jul 03, 2018 11:51:41 pm
      Wish Cavani is back because the game won't be the same without him. France are favourites no matter what, but Uruguay have a particularly poor record when one of Cavani or Suarez is unavailable.

Are you feeling confident about beating Belgium, which players will Brasil try to get sent off do you think? Oh and do you think they picked up some tips about morality from the Colombians?
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 18,802 posts | 2402 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #7: Jul 03, 2018 11:53:21 pm
      Are you feeling confident about beating Belgium, which players will Brasil try to get sent off do you think? Oh and do you think they picked up some tips about morality from the Colombians?

I think Brazil are a better team but Belgium have players that can harm any team, so it won't be easy. As for the tips from Colombia, I'm not really sure, I hope that if we're ahead our players can do a better job than Kane rolling around and Pickford taking two minutes for a free kick in extra time, only to concede a little later.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1370 
      Reply #8: Jul 04, 2018 12:00:32 am
      I know it's ifs and buts, if Denmark won against Croatia before we'd have beat Denmark later on if we could get past Sweden. I'm wary of both Russia and Croatia though.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1370 
      Reply #9: Jul 04, 2018 12:03:04 am
      I think Brazil are a better team but Belgium have players that can harm any team, so it won't be easy. As for the tips from Colombia, I'm not really sure, I hope that if we're ahead our players can do a better job than Kane rolling around and Pickford taking two minutes for a free kick in extra time, only to concede a little later.
      Brazil aren't better than Belgium. It's about equal. I do think England would do better against Belgium than Brazil though, because of playing styles.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,652 posts | 5028 
      • YNWA
      Reply #10: Jul 04, 2018 12:04:51 am
      Brazil aren't better than Belgium. It's about equal. I do think England would do better against Belgium than Brazil though, because of playing styles.

Did you see the way Belgium defended at times last night? Really really bad. Brazil defend really well, Belgium don't. Brazil win for me. Every day.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 18,802 posts | 2402 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #11: Jul 04, 2018 12:05:52 am

You wanted to see the battle of who's more boring with 3 CBs, did you?
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 18,802 posts | 2402 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #12: Jul 04, 2018 12:06:36 am
      Did you see the way Belgium defended at times last night? Really really bad. Brazil defend really well, Belgium don't. Brazil win for me. Every day.

Brazil have allowed only 4 shots on target in the whole competition so far. Thiago Silva and Miranda have been superb. It worries me that Casemiro is suspended for this game though, defensively he's a beast.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,297 posts | 1815 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #13: Jul 04, 2018 12:08:23 am
      Brazil have allowed only 4 shots on target in the whole competition so far. Thiago Silva and Miranda have been superb. It worries me that Casemiro is suspended for this game though, defensively he's a beast.

Fernandhino is more than a capable replacement
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 18,802 posts | 2402 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #14: Jul 04, 2018 12:10:50 am
      Fernandhino is more than a capable replacement

He is, but mentally he was one of the first to collapse against Germany and I just took a strong dislike to many players that night. He's one of them. He's a capable player though, so let's see. I am a lot more confident with Casemiro in the team though, a real cool head with winning experience.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1370 
      Reply #15: Jul 04, 2018 12:13:15 am
      You wanted to see the battle of who's more boring with 3 CBs, did you?
      If England by some miracle got to the final, we'd have a better chance against Belgium. Last time we played them with our b team, we were behind on yellow cards. Nobody tried to stop Januzaj or whatever his name is. At the other end of the field Rashford had a chance to pass it for a guaranteed goal, but he decided to kick it wide. Clear as day we didn't want to face Brazil, France etc..
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,652 posts | 5028 
      • YNWA
      Reply #16: Jul 04, 2018 12:36:29 am

They're superb. A few armchair pundits are wanting to know when 'Brazil will actually play like Brazil' and all that bygone era nonsense but the job they're doing at the moment is so efficient and effective. I love to see a team defend to such a high standard in an era when defending has taken a bit of a backseat in favour of goal, goals, goals. The shape they get into off the ball is excellent and really hard to get through - that Tite fella has done a great job with them so far. Excellently drilled side and my comfortable favourites for a while now. Have said it before but it would be good for the tournament victors to come out of Europe again, even if those victors are the potential 6 times champions!
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1986 
      Reply #17: Jul 04, 2018 12:36:42 am
      If England by some miracle got to the final

Come on, Rib, we all know they are pretty much through, I don't even see the point of them playing Sweden and Croatia.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 18,802 posts | 2402 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #18: Jul 04, 2018 12:39:02 am
      If England by some miracle got to the final, we'd have a better chance against Belgium. Last time we played them with our b team, we were behind on yellow cards. Nobody tried to stop Januzaj or whatever his name is. At the other end of the field Rashford had a chance to pass it for a guaranteed goal, but he decided to kick it wide. Clear as day we didn't want to face Brazil, France etc..

Come on, it doesn't require any miracles to get past Sweden and Croatia :D

Sweden are a really, really average team, Toivonen and Berg upfront are terrible, Forsberg is good but the rest of the team is hard working at best.

You know England are favourites but you're too scared to admit :D It's a golden chance for them to reach a final again, the easiest route they could possibly have had
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 18,802 posts | 2402 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #19: Jul 04, 2018 12:41:40 am
      They're superb. A few armchair pundits are wanting to know when 'Brazil will actually play like Brazil' and all that bygone era nonsense but the job they're doing at the moment is so efficient and effective. I love to see a team defend to such a high standard in an era when defending has taken a bit of a backseat in favour of goal, goals, goals. The shape they get into off the ball is excellent and really hard to get through - that Tite fella has done a great job with them so far. Excellently drilled side and my comfortable favourites for a while now. Have said it before but it would be good for the tournament victors to come out of Europe again, even if those victors are the potential 6 times champions!

Tite really has done a great job so far. He commands a lot of respect from the players and quickly got them playing well as a team, which his predecessors failed so bad. Football is unpredictable and when you're playing against the likes of Hazard or De Bruyne you can never underestimate their potential to hurt you, but Brazil are very solid defensively and have improved offensively during the competition. It's still a bit too one sided, playing too much through the left, but Willian was superb the last match and Douglas Costa (who's back from injury) was superb when he came on vs Costa Rica.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1986 
      Reply #20: Jul 04, 2018 12:43:48 am
      Come on, it doesn't require any miracles to get past Sweden and Croatia :D

Sweden are a really, really average team, Toivonen and Berg upfront are terrible, Forsberg is good but the rest of the team is hard working at best.

You know England are favourites but you're too scared to admit :D It's a golden chance for them to reach a final again, the easiest route they could possibly have had

England losing to Sweden would be the equivalent of us losing to Sunderland, and losing to Croatia would be the equivalent of losing to Spartak Moscow..... they are as good as through.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1986 
      Reply #21: Jul 04, 2018 12:54:32 am
      So, I am curious, who here is gonna watch our friendly over the England vs Sweden match? :D I will be!!!
      zz19a
      • The Mighty REDS 19
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,190 posts | 118 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #22: Jul 04, 2018 01:16:07 am
      Yoohoo

The Cup is coming home  :champ:

Come on England  :aaliverpool2xt1:

7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,470 posts | 3654 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #23: Jul 04, 2018 01:27:17 am
      So, I am curious, who here is gonna watch our friendly over the England vs Sweden match? :D I will be!!!

I will be.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,954 posts | 2508 
      Reply #24: Jul 04, 2018 01:47:39 am
      Keep playing all in Red lads.

It'll bring you good luck  .... Shanks said all those years ago that we look fearsome when we changed to that strip .

Quick Reply