Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Bayern [Champions League] Tue 19th Feb @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Anfield

Today is the 18th of February and on this date LFC's match record is P22 W14 D5 L3

Quarter Finals

Read 4702 times
      chats
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,120 posts | 646 
      Re: Quarter Finals
      Reply #30: Jul 04, 2018 09:23:29 am
      England losing to Sweden would be the equivalent of us losing to Sunderland, and losing to Croatia would be the equivalent of losing to Spartak Moscow..... they are as good as through.

Funny how just a few days everyone was saying how dangerous Croatia are etc but now there’s a realistic chance of England playing them in a semi final they’ve gone back to being sh*te.

Ribapuru
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,383 posts | 1232 
      Reply #31: Jul 04, 2018 09:38:34 am
      So Russian star Cheryshev has had to Deny taking HGH after his it became apparent his father slipped up and mentioned he had this injection.
      For anyone who doesn't know, it is a banned substance that doesn't show on tests because it is increasing Hormones that already exist in people.

Cheryshev snr hung up on Friday when contacted by the Telegraph about his Sport Weekend interview, failing to respond to further requests for comment.

Villarreal did not respond to requests for comment.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-cup/2018/07/02/russia-world-cup-hero-denis-cheryshev-could-asked-provide-evidence/
      Diego LFC
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,551 posts | 2147 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #32: Jul 04, 2018 10:11:52 am
      Funny how just a few days everyone was saying how dangerous Croatia are etc but now there’s a realistic chance of England playing them in a semi final they’ve gone back to being sh*te.

I think Croatia are a bigger test than PM has alluded to, especially with such a good midfield, although their game against Denmark was a bit uninspired... Sweden, though, I've been so unimpressed with them even when they won. That strikeforce of Toivonen and Berg, if they played in the Premier League, would probably be at a club like Cardiff to be fair. Their best player is RB Leipzig midfielder Forsberg. It amazes me they've got this far. I'd be very surprised with England's back three had any problems to stop their attack
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,050 posts | 472 
      Reply #33: Jul 04, 2018 10:13:47 am
      All this talk of Croatia! Let's get passed Sweden first ;D
      Ribapuru
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,383 posts | 1232 
      Reply #34: Jul 04, 2018 10:16:51 am
      I think Croatia are a bigger test than PM has alluded to, especially with such a good midfield, although their game against Denmark was a bit uninspired... Sweden, though, I've been so unimpressed with them even when they won. That strikeforce of Toivonen and Berg, if they played in the Premier League, would probably be at a club like Cardiff to be fair. Their best player is RB Leipzig midfielder Forsberg. It amazes me they've got this far. I'd be very surprised with England's back three had any problems to stop their attack
      Croatia 3 - 0 Argentina.   England 1 - 1 Colombia. I think that Croatia in the right gear can be dangerous.
      They won all their group games. I don't think Cardiff is a good comparison. I think more a Burnley or a Leicester.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,364 posts | 1577 
      Reply #35: Jul 04, 2018 10:25:08 am

Yeah, but then people realised how sh*t Argentina were :)

I think Croatia are a bigger test than PM has alluded to, especially with such a good midfield, although their game against Denmark was a bit uninspired

No doubt Croatia will dominate the middle, but England's attacking speed and Kane....  I just can't see Croatia coping with that attack.

heimdall

• 7,780 posts | 1591 
      Reply #36: Jul 04, 2018 11:42:14 am
      I think Brazil are a better team but Belgium have players that can harm any team, so it won't be easy. As for the tips from Colombia, I'm not really sure, I hope that if we're ahead our players can do a better job than Kane rolling around and Pickford taking two minutes for a free kick in extra time, only to concede a little later.

Are you being serious now, you are more critical of how England behaved in that game than Colombia, WOW, you just became the supreme WUM I think.
      heimdall

• 7,780 posts | 1591 
      Reply #37: Jul 04, 2018 11:47:23 am
      England will never get a better opportunity to make a World Cup final than this.

Sweden should be a walkover and finally winning on pens is a major monkey off the back.

Won’t matter though as the winner will come from one off Uruguay and Brazil. Think France will fall to Uruguay, who Brazil will meet in semi finals.

Anyone who can get through the test Uruguay offer deserves to win!

You think Uruguay without Cavani will still beat France?? I certainly don't. I actually think it will be France v England in the final.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,050 posts | 472 
      Reply #38: Jul 04, 2018 11:47:33 am
      Please god this doesn't go to penalties again. If you could choose your five who would they be.
      mine are
      Kane ( obvioulsy  ;D)
      Rashford
      Tripper
      Lingard
      Maguire
      heimdall

• 7,780 posts | 1591 
      Reply #39: Jul 04, 2018 11:50:50 am

No doubt Croatia will dominate the middle, but England's attacking speed and Kane....  I just can't see Croatia coping with that attack.

Just lump balls into the box against Croatia, guaranteed Lovren will f**k up at some point
      heimdall

• 7,780 posts | 1591 
      Reply #40: Jul 04, 2018 11:52:45 am
      Please god this doesn't go to penalties again. If you could choose your five who would they be.
      mine are
      Kane ( obvioulsy  ;D)
      Rashford
      Tripper
      Lingard
      Maguire

Not sure about Maguire but certainly not Henderson again, he's not a good penalty taker, far to obvious in his placement.
      Diego LFC
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,551 posts | 2147 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #41: Jul 04, 2018 12:03:30 pm
      Are you being serious now, you are more critical of how England behaved in that game than Colombia, WOW, you just became the supreme WUM I think.

Am I being more critical? Nah I just laugh at the double standards. English commentators are now saying the brave three lions were "streetwise" and "smart" - they by default never cheat, it's morally impossible for these young men as the gentlemanly blood of Charles W. Alcock runs through their veins. Do you know how British people overseas are "expats" but anyone coming to the UK are "immigrants"? It's the football equivalent to it. "Streetwise".
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,382 posts | 1497 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #42: Jul 04, 2018 12:26:04 pm

What attack?  The England attack who didn't manage a shot on target v colombia
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,382 posts | 1497 
      Reply #43: Jul 04, 2018 12:28:04 pm
      Am I being more critical? Nah I just laugh at the double standards. English commentators are now saying the brave three lions were "streetwise" and "smart" - they by default never cheat, it's morally impossible for these young men as the gentlemanly blood of Charles W. Alcock runs through their veins. Do you know how British people overseas are "expats" but anyone coming to the UK are "immigrants"? It's the football equivalent to it. "Streetwise".

Spot on diego. Glen hoddle's well they are doing it defence summed it up perfectly
      heimdall

• 7,780 posts | 1591 
      Reply #44: Jul 04, 2018 01:17:18 pm

Which English commentators are saying that? The commentary I was watching were critical of Henderson retaliating and pointed out when English players went down under minimal contact.
      You simply cannot condone how Columbia played that match, they were using every single opportunity to cheat and argue with the referee, it was quite disgraceful and one of the worst displays I have ever seen and its very telling that you not only accept it but applaud it.

I used to quite like your posts Diego but you have really shown your colours these past few days, I'm actually amazed you support LFC, it must frustrate the hell out of you how clean we play with as you put it outdated English morality. Well I'll tell you what, I'm glad LFC and England play with a sense of morality, dignity and honour, something so very clearly lacking from the entire South American region, riddled as it is in corruption and poverty.
      Ribapuru
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,383 posts | 1232 
      Reply #45: Jul 04, 2018 05:54:02 pm
      Name one other team that sat their arguing with the ref, knowing the decision to award a penalty wouldn't change with the real reason so the could f*ck up the penalty spot??? Go on, name another team?
      Other than Hendo retaliating, Lingard was the one person having a tug.
      6/11 Colombian players booked, that is over half.
      Not only that, the coaching staff Elbowed Sterling.
      It is uncharted sh*t going on yesterday, you can't excuse it.
      « Last Edit: Jul 04, 2018 07:11:17 pm by Ribapuru »
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,382 posts | 1497 
      Reply #46: Jul 04, 2018 06:22:34 pm
      Going for brazil, Uruguay,  croatia and........sweden
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 23,264 posts | 3200 
      Reply #47: Jul 04, 2018 07:12:53 pm
      France, Brazil, Croatia and England.

Ribapuru
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,383 posts | 1232 
      Reply #48: Jul 04, 2018 07:12:55 pm
      Going for brazil, Uruguay,  croatia and........sweden
      France, Brazil, Russia, England for me.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 38,226 posts | 2959 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #49: Jul 04, 2018 07:18:12 pm

Teams are coping quite well with the england attack though to be honest, they create very little so far. But, as they are showing, get a set piece and take full advantage.
      Ribapuru
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,383 posts | 1232 
      Reply #50: Jul 04, 2018 07:22:53 pm
      Teams are coping quite well with the england attack though to be honest
      Not sure what games you been watching, every team we played bar Belgium had one way to defend which is do WWE moves on Harry Kane. Is that really coping with the England attack?
      Personally I think Russia will take Croatia out.
      Just think if their performance against Spain can be repeated, could be seeing a France v Russia final.
      « Last Edit: Jul 04, 2018 07:27:10 pm by Ribapuru »
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,895 posts | 2740 
      Reply #51: Jul 04, 2018 07:41:19 pm
      Teams are coping quite well with the england attack though to be honest, they create very little so far. But, as they are showing, get a set piece and take full advantage.

True England are creating virtually zilch outside of their set pieces and penalties.

Ribapuru
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,383 posts | 1232 
      Reply #52: Jul 04, 2018 07:45:02 pm
      True England are creating virtually zilch outside of their set pieces and penalties.
      If we weren't fouled as much we would score from open play instead of these set pieces and penalties.
      Diego LFC
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,551 posts | 2147 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #53: Jul 04, 2018 07:53:15 pm
      Which English commentators are saying that? The commentary I was watching were critical of Henderson retaliating and pointed out when English players went down under minimal contact.
      You simply cannot condone how Columbia played that match, they were using every single opportunity to cheat and argue with the referee, it was quite disgraceful and one of the worst displays I have ever seen and its very telling that you not only accept it but applaud it.

Err, I condoned and applauded that where, exactly? You and Riba have that incredible ability to respond to my posts discussing sh*t I'm not talking about as if I was. I am talking about English double standards, I haven't said I liked Colombia's approach or that they behaved well, or anything of the sort.

Just a couple of articles celebrating England's "streetwise" and even "shithouse" tactics:
      https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/international/ken-early-streetwise-england-a-further-step-along-the-road-1.3553011?mode=amp
      https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/world-cup/england-vs-colombia-gareth-southgate-referee-mark-geiger-quarter-finals-penalty-shootout-video-watch-a8430301.html

Even Southgate alluded to it as "getting smarter" and "playing by the same rules", yet he somehow tries to keep the high moral ground about only going to ground as fouled. Wonder how the first sentence makes sense after that.

https://twitter.com/henrywinter/status/1014271696587632640

To which the chief sports writer from the Times again calls them "more streetwise":

https://twitter.com/henrywinter/status/1014402369763856384

I used to quite like your posts Diego but you have really shown your colours these past few days, I'm actually amazed you support LFC, it must frustrate the hell out of you how clean we play with as you put it outdated English morality. Well I'll tell you what, I'm glad LFC and England play with a sense of morality, dignity and honour, something so very clearly lacking from the entire South American region, riddled as it is in corruption and poverty.

Again you completely misunderstand my point about 19th century morality. It's not playing to the rules of the game that I have any issues with, it's much more with the double standards and taking the high moral ground only when it suits.

It's stuff like Steven Gerrard writing on his book about how diving is ruining the game, having dived multiple times in his career. It's someone like walton in the round of 16 thread getting all worked up because someone accused Henderson of going overly dramatic as if this was a terrible slight on his character, but then you can find posts from him saying "we need wankers" in our team (and he's just one example in many like that). It's the constant reference to someone like Souness as a "tough player" because apparently deliberately hurting opponents is permissible, and a player like Roy Keane can be completely revered, but rolling around the floor after being fouled constantly is against the "manly" aspect of the game - now that is a mindset totally stuck in 19th century, public school, upper class football morality.

Were you in this forum during the 2010 World Cup? If you were not, then you missed the truly hilarious responses to Suarez instinctively saving the ball against Ghana, and then the outrage as he dared to celebrate as Gyan missed his penalty. I bet some generalisations about South Americans were used at the time as well. He was a terrible cheater then, for keeping his country's hopes alive in the world cup. Mind you, not long later the forum stuck by him as he faced suspension for racist abuse and two biting incidents (a victim of the FA and the media), but by then he was a LFC player, so it is all somehow explained and permissible.

The likes of Dele Alli are among the worst divers in the Premier League but yeah, sure, England play with a sense of dignity that the South American barbarians lack. And everything wrong that they might do is only as a response to that, and perfectly understandable when that is the case.

That point about LFC is a bit ridiculous, as if our team has behaved always the same throughout the years. The current team is a quite likeable one but I think our entire front three has already been booked for diving, I'm sure Mané and Salah have.

Oh well, of course you have to finish off with yet another non football related dig but I wouldn't have expected different.
      Ribapuru
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,383 posts | 1232 
      Reply #54: Jul 04, 2018 08:13:09 pm
      Err, I condoned and applauded that where, exactly? You and Riba have that incredible ability to respond to my posts discussing sh*t I'm not talking about as if I was. I am talking about English double standards, I haven't said I liked Colombia's approach or that they behaved well, or anything of the sort.

Just a couple of articles celebrating England's "streetwise" and even "shithouse" tactics:
      https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/international/ken-early-streetwise-england-a-further-step-along-the-road-1.3553011?mode=amp
      https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/world-cup/england-vs-colombia-gareth-southgate-referee-mark-geiger-quarter-finals-penalty-shootout-video-watch-a8430301.html

Even Southgate alluded to it as "getting smarter" and "playing by the same rules", yet he somehow tries to keep the high moral ground about only going to ground as fouled. Wonder how the first sentence makes sense after that.

https://twitter.com/henrywinter/status/1014271696587632640

To which the chief sports writer from the Times again calls them "more streetwise":

https://twitter.com/henrywinter/status/1014402369763856384

Again you completely misunderstand my point about 19th century morality. It's not playing to the rules of the game that I have any issues with, it's much more with the double standards and taking the high moral ground only when it suits.

It's stuff like Steven Gerrard writing on his book about how diving is ruining the game, having dived multiple times in his career. It's someone like walton in the round of 16 thread getting all worked up because someone accused Henderson of going overly dramatic as if this was a terrible slight on his character, but then you can find posts from him saying "we need wankers" in our team (and he's just one example in many like that). It's the constant reference to someone like Souness as a "tough player" because apparently deliberately hurting opponents is permissible, and a player like Roy Keane can be completely revered, but rolling around the floor after being fouled constantly is against the "manly" aspect of the game - now that is a mindset totally stuck in 19th century, public school, upper class football morality.

Were you in this forum during the 2010 World Cup? If you were not, then you missed the truly hilarious responses to Suarez instinctively saving the ball against Ghana, and then the outrage as he dared to celebrate as Gyan missed his penalty. I bet some generalisations about South Americans were used at the time as well. He was a terrible cheater then, for keeping his country's hopes alive in the world cup. Mind you, not long later the forum stuck by him as he faced suspension for racist abuse and two biting incidents (a victim of the FA and the media), but by then he was a LFC player, so it is all somehow explained and permissible.

The likes of Dele Alli are among the worst divers in the Premier League but yeah, sure, England play with a sense of dignity that the South American barbarians lack. And everything wrong that they might do is only as a response to that, and perfectly understandable when that is the case.

That point about LFC is a bit ridiculous, as if our team has behaved always the same throughout the years. The current team is a quite likeable one but I think our entire front three has already been booked for diving, I'm sure Mané and Salah have.

Oh well, of course you have to finish off with yet another non football related dig but I wouldn't have expected different.
      What the heck are you on about? Smart, streetwise don't mean cheating.
      In the past England got their foot clipped and tried to stay on their feet whilst the rest on the world went down.
      It's not cheating if you go down, it's almost a signal that the defender has clipped your foot ruining the chance.
      Especially if defender clips heel, screws up shot, better to go down.
      That is what he is going on about, it's clear where he says streetwise, smarter and playing by the same rules as everyone else, then he says nobody went down unless they are fowled. Nothing wrong with going down if thee foot is clipped. Belgium striker didn't and people were shocked. It was a real oddity.

Cheating is diving with no contact or digging a hole in the penalty spot, Wrestling in the penalty box.
      If LFC did that I would be ashamed, if you really want to try to drag down England's behaviour by miss representing Southgate and Winter's comments, then you are hands down the biggest WUM this forum has ever seen.

I don't think you are doing it on purpose though, you want to make England look dirty because Neymar keeps;
      ROLLIN ROLLIN ROLLIN!
      Tell me this, is he still rolling whilst I am writing this?
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,895 posts | 2740 
      Reply #55: Jul 04, 2018 08:13:40 pm
      If we weren't fouled as much we would score from open play instead of these set pieces and penalties.

More like they would score less you mean without all those set pieces!
      Ribapuru
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,383 posts | 1232 
      Reply #56: Jul 04, 2018 08:17:08 pm
      More like they would score less you mean without all those set pieces!
      We would score less goals overall, but more from open play.
      You know damn well if Salah is treated like that you'll expect a Liverpool penno.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,895 posts | 2740 
      Reply #57: Jul 04, 2018 08:18:00 pm
      In the past England got their foot clipped and tried to stay on their feet whilst the rest on the world went down.
      It's not cheating if you go down, it's almost a signal that the defender has clipped your foot ruining the chance.
      That is what he is going on about, it's clear where he says streetwise, smarter and playing by the same rules as everyone else, then he says nobody went down unless they are fowled. Nothing wrong with going down if thee foot is clipped. Belgium striker didn't and people were shocked. It was a real oddity.

Cheating is diving with no contact or digging a hole in the penalty spot, Wrestling in the penalty box.
      If LFC did that I would be ashamed, if you really want to try to drag down England's behaviour by miss representing Southgate and Winter's comments, then you are hands down the biggest WUM this forum has ever seen.

What was Maguire doing going down without anyone near him trying to get a penalty
      Lingard going down before there was any contact from Sanchez again trying to get a penalty.

Players from every team/country cheat call it what you want to gain a advantage to deny it is idiotic.
      Ribapuru
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,383 posts | 1232 
      Reply #58: Jul 04, 2018 08:20:34 pm
      What was Maguire doing going down without anyone near him trying to get a penalty
      Maguire lost his footing, he never tried to get a penalty. He got straight back up and said no pen.

Lingard going down before there was any contact from Sanchez again trying to get a penalty.
      Replays shown Lingard was clipped and cause the ball to run away from him.
      VAR would have gave that as a Penno.
      PurpleMonkey

• 9,364 posts | 1577 
      Reply #59: Jul 04, 2018 08:23:54 pm

Pretty much what Neymar has been doing, right? So I guess he is not a c**t or a cheat, just streetwise.

Quick Reply