Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Bayern [Champions League] Tue 19th Feb @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Anfield

Today is the 18th of February and on this date LFC's match record is P22 W14 D5 L3

Quarter Finals

Read 4703 times
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 38,227 posts | 2959 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Re: Quarter Finals
      Reply #420: Jul 07, 2018 10:07:05 pm
      Croatian players looked knackered, don't think they'll fully recover for next match after two consecutive games going to extra time. England are clearly favorites IMO.

Wouldn’t like to say. Now there’s a good chance that if it goes beyond 90mins, they will feel more experienced to handle the situation than England. 2 consecutive penalty wins will be a big confidence boost if that’s what it takes to decide the game. Wednesday isn’t it?
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 25,372 posts | 3115 
      Reply #421: Jul 07, 2018 10:08:27 pm
      think Croatia may have used all their get out of jail cards tonight.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,895 posts | 2740 
      Reply #422: Jul 07, 2018 10:09:52 pm
      Wouldn’t like to say. Now there’s a good chance that if it goes beyond 90mins, they will feel more experienced to handle the situation than England. 2 consecutive penalty wins will be a big confidence boost if that’s what it takes to decide the game. Wednesday isn’t it?

Biggest danger for England will be Modric and Rakatic v Hendo by himself.
      Also first decent team England have faced.

HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,895 posts | 2740 
      Reply #423: Jul 07, 2018 10:10:55 pm
      think Croatia may have used all their get out of jail cards tonight.

No such thing in reality.
      Remember Greece shithousing it all the way and Chelsea in the CL.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,828 posts | 2423 
      Reply #424: Jul 07, 2018 10:11:02 pm
      yes but Putin gave a decree and bish bosh bang he's a Russian

Missed a pen ... shot wide ... so Putin is sending him off to a Gulag in Siberia.
      Bish bosh ... banged-up !

;D
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 38,227 posts | 2959 
      Reply #425: Jul 07, 2018 10:47:02 pm
      Biggest danger for England will be Modric and Rakatic v Hendo by himself.

Perisic and Rebic are both big threats too. Rebic is deceptively strong too so Young could have his work cut out.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,781 posts | 1591 
      Reply #426: Jul 08, 2018 12:42:13 am
      So we will have a Liverpool player in the World Cup Final

Mignolet?
      Ribapuru
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,383 posts | 1232 
      Reply #427: Jul 08, 2018 12:47:15 am
      What utter tosh.
      Columbia and Sweden are both good sides.
      I don't really count Belgium since we didn't attempt to win that.
      Lets not forget Sweden qualified from a group Holland didn't, knocked Italy out before the WC started.
      Then got out of a group as winners where Germany finished bottom and knocked out the best Danish side in years.
      Less important, but Sweden beat a full strength Portugal with Ronaldo just before WC started.
      Sweden also made Mexico look like Panama... so what qualifies for a good side? If we beat Croatia, then you will say the next game... first decent side we faced when it is Belgium or France?
      No team in history has got to a semi final without facing decent sides.
      Croatia is another 50/50 just like Columbia and Sweden was.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 38,227 posts | 2959 
      Reply #428: Jul 08, 2018 01:05:50 am
      Then got out of a group as winners where Germany finished bottom and knocked out the best Danish side in years.

Croatia put Denmark out, not Sweden.
      Diego LFC
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,551 posts | 2147 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #429: Jul 08, 2018 02:42:06 am
      What utter tosh.
      Columbia and Sweden are both good sides.
      I don't really count Belgium since we didn't attempt to win that.
      Lets not forget Sweden qualified from a group Holland didn't, knocked Italy out before the WC started.
      Less important, but Sweden beat a full strength Portugal with Ronaldo just before WC started.
      Sweden also made Mexico look like Panama... so what qualifies for a good side? If we beat Croatia, then you will say the next game... first decent side we faced when it is Belgium or France?
      No team in history has got to a semi final without facing decent sides.
      Croatia is another 50/50 just like Columbia and Sweden was.

Funny thing Riba, you were thrilled when England basically threw out a match to qualify in 2nd (quite interesting behaviour for the country that often acts like football's moral police), but now you keep trying to convince the world that all the teams in this side of the draw are much better than they actually are.

Colombia are a decent side but without their best player they're nothing special, and it showed.
      You speak of Germany, then mention pre-WC results from Sweden. Well, if we're considering pre-WC results, then Germany themselves are nothing special as they lost to Austria and came into the competition in terrible form. A team with Ola Toivonen and Marcus Berg upfront are hardly a major threat.
      Uruguay got into a semifinal by playing South Korea and Ghana in the knockout stages, I wouldn't say any of them were particularly good sides. So it's perfectly possible to get far without facing really tough opposition. That's the nature of knockout competitions, a good draw goes a long way. I've made that point before, and in my opinion LFC benefited from that in the past Champions League, as has England right now.
      If they go all the way and win it though, good for them. But seriously, look at that Sweden lineup, read it name by name and for the love of god stop trying to convince yourself they're anything special. They're not.
      Diego LFC
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,551 posts | 2147 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #430: Jul 08, 2018 02:44:08 am
      So the 2nd Russia goal was scored by a player that’s previously played for Brazil. Looks like a Brazilian could be in the last 4 after all.

He never played for Brazil, he was called up once but bizarrely rejected it. No one understood it at the time. He's a good player though, always liked him when he was playing for Gremio
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 38,227 posts | 2959 
      Reply #431: Jul 08, 2018 02:49:45 am
      He never played for Brazil, he was called up once but bizarrely rejected it. No one understood it at the time. He's a good player though, always liked him when he was playing for Gremio

He played in a friendly vs Japan, 3 years after rejecting his initial call up.
      Diego LFC
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,551 posts | 2147 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #432: Jul 08, 2018 02:51:20 am
      He played in a friendly vs Japan, 3 years after rejecting his initial call up.

Really? Totally forgot about that then

As I said a good player, but always been a weird one
      heimdall

• 7,781 posts | 1591 
      Reply #433: Jul 08, 2018 08:34:13 am
      Funny thing Riba, you were thrilled when England basically threw out a match to qualify in 2nd (quite interesting behaviour for the country that often acts like football's moral police), but now you keep trying to convince the world that all the teams in this side of the draw are much better than they actually are.

Colombia are a decent side but without their best player they're nothing special, and it showed.
      You speak of Germany, then mention pre-WC results from Sweden. Well, if we're considering pre-WC results, then Germany themselves are nothing special as they lost to Austria and came into the competition in terrible form. A team with Ola Toivonen and Marcus Berg upfront are hardly a major threat.
      Uruguay got into a semifinal by playing South Korea and Ghana in the knockout stages, I wouldn't say any of them were particularly good sides. So it's perfectly possible to get far without facing really tough opposition. That's the nature of knockout competitions, a good draw goes a long way. I've made that point before, and in my opinion LFC benefited from that in the past Champions League, as has England right now.
      If they go all the way and win it though, good for them. But seriously, look at that Sweden lineup, read it name by name and for the love of god stop trying to convince yourself they're anything special. They're not.

I totally agree Diego, Brasil had a fairly easy ride until they met Belgium ;-)
      heimdall

• 7,781 posts | 1591 
      Reply #434: Jul 08, 2018 08:35:37 am

Didn't Diego Costa play for Brasil and then Spain, now that one is weird, what is the story behind it? I can recall him being booed at every kick the previous world cup.
      Ribapuru
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,383 posts | 1232 
      Reply #435: Jul 08, 2018 09:52:29 am

No offense Diego, but I'll take Jürgen Klinsmann contrasting opinion. Usually people called Jürgen know a lot about football.
      Diego LFC
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,551 posts | 2147 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #436: Jul 08, 2018 10:33:58 am
      I totally agree Diego, Brasil had a fairly easy ride until they met Belgium ;-)

Funny because Brazil had the group with the highest average FIFA ranking, but whatever makes you guy feel better, I guess!

No offense Diego, but I'll take Jürgen Klinsmann contrasting opinion. Usually people called Jürgen know a lot about football.

Then please do explain why you were so happy to lose a match on purpose if the opponents on this side are so good and scary? That's pure hypocrisy.
      Ribapuru
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,383 posts | 1232 
      Reply #437: Jul 08, 2018 11:08:12 am
      Then please do explain why you were so happy to lose a match on purpose if the opponents on this side are so good and scary? That's pure hypocrisy.
      We'd rather play good sides than excellent to increase our success odds. Why get tired in the middle of the tournament? If Belgium get worn out knocking out Brazil, France etc.. it's good for us if we can make it past Croatia. Nobody thinks England are the best in the world, so we take the best path.

It's like this, if there are two streets, one full on Zombies and another is just normal people... even if you have are armed to the teeth, which road would you take?..

This is different from rolling around the pitch like a football instead of a footballer.
      « Last Edit: Jul 08, 2018 11:13:13 am by Ribapuru »
      Diego LFC
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,551 posts | 2147 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #438: Jul 08, 2018 11:10:58 am
      We'd rather play good sides than excellent to increase our success odds. Why get tired in the middle of the tournament? If Belgium get worn out knocking out Brazil, France etc.. it's good for us if we can make it past Croatia.

And I'm not saying England don't deserve credit for getting this far, I'm just pointing it out it has been a *relatively* easy draw and you know that as well, otherwise you wouldn't have been so happy when England lost to Belgium.
      Ribapuru
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,383 posts | 1232 
      Reply #439: Jul 08, 2018 11:31:30 am
      And I'm not saying England don't deserve credit for getting this far, I'm just pointing it out it has been a *relatively* easy draw and you know that as well, otherwise you wouldn't have been so happy when England lost to Belgium.
      It was a good draw, other results just keep making it better. The knockout teams weren't easy, just easier. We need to understand Croatia will be just as difficult as Columbia was. If we can make it to the final, we could get some luck go our way, who knows.
      RedPuppy
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 17,211 posts | 1795 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #440: Jul 08, 2018 11:34:16 am

Won't be on his own in any scenario.
      heimdall

• 7,781 posts | 1591 
      Reply #441: Jul 08, 2018 12:35:58 pm
      Funny because Brazil had the group with the highest average FIFA ranking, but whatever makes you guy feel better, I guess!

Good Lord, do you have no sense of humour at all?

You are just going to have to find a way of dealing with the fact that your team is out of the world cup, I know it sucks but at least you weren't humiliated 7-1 at home this time so silver lining and all that.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,382 posts | 1497 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Diego LFC
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,551 posts | 2147 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #443: Jul 08, 2018 01:04:30 pm
      It was a good draw, other results just keep making it better. The knockout teams weren't easy, just easier. We need to understand Croatia will be just as difficult as Columbia was. If we can make it to the final, we could get some luck go our way, who knows.

That's exactly what I meant by *relatively* easy... I meant in relation to other possible draws (like Belgium is facing with Brazil and France), and even in relation to previous draws England have had... in fairness the so called golden generation had harder opponents in 2002, 2006 and 2010. Their biggest failure was probably not even in qualifying for the Euros once, now that was truly pathetic.
      Diego LFC
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,551 posts | 2147 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #444: Jul 08, 2018 01:05:14 pm
      Good Lord, do you have no sense of humour at all?

You are just going to have to find a way of dealing with the fact that your team is out of the world cup, I know it sucks but at least you weren't humiliated 7-1 at home this time so silver lining and all that.

Oh you're sure such a neutral eh! Don't worry, I can deal with it just fine. I've seen more international success in my lifetime than this whole forum combined. Have fun while it lasts!
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 38,227 posts | 2959 
      Reply #445: Jul 08, 2018 03:01:57 pm
      Oh you're sure such a neutral eh! Don't worry, I can deal with it just fine. I've seen more international success in my lifetime than this whole forum combined. Have fun while it lasts!

Wouldn’t waste your time, he’s just on one at the moment.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,828 posts | 2423 
      Reply #446: Jul 08, 2018 05:34:32 pm
      Don't want to throw any cold water on things but v Sweden , Harry K was marked out of the game.

Raheem Turd Sterling continues to f**k up and self destruct all his moves. Its comical.

Stick him out on the wing and bring Rashford in with Harry.

Yes we are getting goals from set pieces .

We need goals from all over the team if we are going to win this thing.
      heimdall

• 7,781 posts | 1591 
      Reply #447: Jul 08, 2018 06:42:28 pm

LOL, bit of insecurity creeping through Diego plus there might actually be some Germans on here.
      heimdall

• 7,781 posts | 1591 
      Reply #448: Jul 08, 2018 06:44:18 pm
      Wouldn’t waste your time, he’s just on one at the moment.

That insult from him was directed at you as much as me but hey ho we all have blind spots.
      RedPuppy
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 17,211 posts | 1795 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #449: Jul 08, 2018 07:26:52 pm
      Don't want to throw any cold water on things but v Sweden , Harry K was marked out of the game.

Raheem Turd Sterling continues to f**k up and self destruct all his moves. Its comical.

Stick him out on the wing and bring Rashford in with Harry.

Yes we are getting goals from set pieces .

We need goals from all over the team if we are going to win this thing.

The whole is greater than the sum of its parts. (Istanbul 2005)

I agree that Sterling is comical in front of goal, but if it isn't broken and all that.

Quick Reply