Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Bayern [Champions League] Tue 19th Feb @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Anfield

Today is the 18th of February and on this date LFC's match record is P22 W14 D5 L3

Quarter Finals

Read 4701 times
      RedPuppy
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 17,211 posts | 1795 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Re: Quarter Finals
      Reply #450: Jul 08, 2018 07:31:41 pm
      That insult from him was directed at you as much as me but hey ho we all have blind spots.

Not an insult, but an unfortunate fact.

Nobody is happier than me that Brasil are out, but like M.Utd, they have been very successful over the last 2 decades, we all have theories why, and if it were our teams, we'd not complain.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 38,226 posts | 2959 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #451: Jul 08, 2018 08:11:49 pm
      That insult from him was directed at you as much as me but hey ho we all have blind spots.

Not an insult, it’s fact.
      Ribapuru
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,383 posts | 1232 
      Reply #452: Jul 08, 2018 08:21:41 pm
      Wouldn’t waste your time, he’s just on one at the moment.
      Diego is sulking over Brazil's loss,  decredited England's achievement with "Thry haven't faced anybody good" blah blah.. said he doesn't care because Brazil has more international success.. blah blah... Somebody mentions about Brazil's heavy defeat in the past... I don't think Heimdall is on one.... It's more likely the case he is taking the piss because of arrogance. Brazil used to be the neutrals favourite, now people just cheer when they lose and we can all thank Neymar. People no longer think they're some invincible genetically gifted football team, but instead a team in a cheaters shadow.
      Ribapuru
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,383 posts | 1232 
      Reply #453: Jul 08, 2018 08:32:24 pm
      Oh you're sure such a neutral eh! Don't worry, I can deal with it just fine. I've seen more international success in my lifetime than this whole forum combined. Have fun while it lasts!
      I can admit Brazil have been great in the past, but that is it. They slowly declined even though they have great players. They  won the world cup 4 times and that is great, but you are really taking the Brazil exit hard with this comparison to how much success you have seen. Neymar is the face of Brazilian team, right now the past doesn't matter, Neymar has single handedly tainted Brazil's legacy for the foreseeable future. Brazil didn't go out with dignity thanks to him.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44689926

World Cup 2018: Divisive Neymar 'charms Brazil, but annoys whole world'

Globo put this perfectly.
      Also What is the point in national pride if the rest of the world is laughing?
      « Last Edit: Jul 08, 2018 08:42:04 pm by Ribapuru »
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,334 posts | 4730 
      • YNWA
      Reply #454: Jul 08, 2018 08:45:29 pm

What is the point in national pride if the rest of the world is laughing?

You talkin' about Brexit?

Oh and, ahem, Brazil won it 5 times!
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,780 posts | 1591 
      Reply #455: Jul 08, 2018 08:50:22 pm
      Diego is sulking over Brazil's loss,  decredited England's achievement with "Thry haven't faced anybody good" blah blah.. said he doesn't care because Brazil has more international success.. blah blah... Somebody mentions about Brazil's heavy defeat in the past... I don't think Heimdall is on one.... It's more likely the case he is taking the piss because of arrogance. Brazil used to be the neutrals favourite, now people just cheer when they lose and we can all thank Neymar. People no longer think they're some invincible genetically gifted football team, but instead a team in a cheaters shadow.

Spot on, I'm amazed more people are not getting irritated at Diego talking sh*t about England and by the way Brasil are NOT the most successful team internationally over the last 45 years, Germany is.
      Diego LFC
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,551 posts | 2147 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #456: Jul 08, 2018 09:06:04 pm
      LOL, bit of insecurity creeping through Diego plus there might actually be some Germans on here.

Haha yeah right. Not at all insecure, I do love the fact you claim to be a neutral but is getting all worked up because of England.

What insult? I've seen Brazil win 2 World Cups, 4 Confederations Cups, 4 Copas América and 1 Olympic Games in my lifetime alone, I honestly think I'm just stating a fact here. Don't know of any regular posters from Germany or Italy.

I always want Brazil to go as far as possible but personally I consider myself quite lucky in that regard, so I hardly suffer for long when they lose - I grant you losing that Champions League final was a hundred times worse.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,895 posts | 2740 
      Reply #457: Jul 08, 2018 09:09:43 pm
      Spot on, I'm amazed more people are not getting irritated at Diego talking sh*t about England and by the way Brasil are NOT the most successful team internationally over the last 45 years, Germany is.

Are they?

Get your facts right at least  :roll:

Ribapuru
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,383 posts | 1232 
      Reply #458: Jul 08, 2018 09:12:26 pm
      What insult? I've seen Brazil win 2 World Cups, 4 Confederations Cups, 4 Copas América and 1 Olympic Games in my lifetime alone
      You've also seen Neymar pretend to be a 2 month old baby learning to roll.
      Diego LFC
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,551 posts | 2147 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #459: Jul 08, 2018 09:14:02 pm

It's not fair to say I'm trying to discredit England here because I've made the exact same point about Liverpool FC this past season, so it's not that I'm saying any of this because I'm against England, unless you think I had a problem with LFC reaching the final haha. I also loved seeing Uruguay reach the semifinals for the first time in a long time when they did it in 2010, but in my opinion they went out against the first truly good team they faced (Netherlands), and beating South Korea and Ghana hardly made them one of the four best teams in the world.

My point then, which is the same now, is that a lucky draw goes a long way - but people are eager to create narratives to suit results, and then all context is thrown out of the window. I think context matters for the purpose of analysis (and that only), which is what I was doing here. For fans, though, it's irrelevant and they should just enjoy themselves, after all you don't have to be the best team in a competition to win it, and having some luck is part of it.
      Diego LFC
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,551 posts | 2147 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #460: Jul 08, 2018 09:19:32 pm

Am I talking sh*t in saying England haven't had a particularly difficult draw? Please do engage with the argument instead of trying to wind me up then. For someone hopelessly pretending to be a neutral you've got a St George's cross very much up your ass, don't you?

Hahahaha the second part of your post is hilarious, why have you deliberately picked a random period such as 45 years? Something tells me that you're a bit desperate to include the 1974 World Cup in that count, but leave 1970 behind... :lmao:

I'm 30 years old by the way, and in my lifetime both Brazil and Germany have won 2 World Cups, but I was too young to remember the first Germany won (1990), so I haven't experienced that one.
      « Last Edit: Jul 08, 2018 09:24:28 pm by Diego LFC »
      Diego LFC
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,551 posts | 2147 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #461: Jul 08, 2018 09:23:54 pm
      I can admit Brazil have been great in the past, but that is it. They slowly declined even though they have great players. They  won the world cup 4 times and that is great, but you are really taking the Brazil exit hard with this comparison to how much success you have seen. Neymar is the face of Brazilian team, right now the past doesn't matter, Neymar has single handedly tainted Brazil's legacy for the foreseeable future. Brazil didn't go out with dignity thanks to him.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44689926

World Cup 2018: Divisive Neymar 'charms Brazil, but annoys whole world'

Globo put this perfectly.
      Also What is the point in national pride if the rest of the world is laughing?

5 times ;) Please don't take one of our World Cups away, imagine if I did that to England...

Am I taking this hard? I suggest you, the England fan, just take it easy and enjoy that your team is in the semifinals for the first time since 1990, instead of getting all worked if I say Sweden are not particularly great, and can point you to your own posts celebrating defeat so you could have an easier ride.
      Ribapuru
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,383 posts | 1232 
      Reply #462: Jul 08, 2018 09:48:08 pm
      5 times ;) Please don't take one of our World Cups away, imagine if I did that to England...

Am I taking this hard? I suggest you, the England fan, just take it easy and enjoy that your team is in the semifinals for the first time since 1990, instead of getting all worked if I say Sweden are not particularly great, and can point you to your own posts celebrating defeat so you could have an easier ride.
      Most recent game between Columbia and Brazil was 1-1. Most recent game between England and Columbia was 1-1.
      Most recent game between England and Brazil was 0-0. Make of it what you will.
      Diego LFC
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,551 posts | 2147 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #463: Jul 08, 2018 09:49:12 pm
      Most recent game between Columbia and Brazil was 1-1. Most recent game between England and Columbia was 1-1.

Nothing?
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 38,226 posts | 2959 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #464: Jul 08, 2018 11:11:01 pm

There’s nothing to make of it.
      The last competitive game between England and Brazil ended in defeat for England. Don’t see what you are trying to prove by using friendlies as an example, or a point, or generally whatever it is you’re trying to get at.
      heimdall

• 7,780 posts | 1591 
      Reply #465: Jul 08, 2018 11:17:39 pm

LOL you really do have your nose bent out of shape about Brasil being beaten by the first good team they faced this world cup don't you. Mind you it must be quite annoying to fail four times in a row at the only sport your country takes serious part in, and one of them in humiliating fashion at Home, or am I forgetting some other Brasilian sporting triumphs? Its sort of similar to New Zealand and Rugby. Most countries have a slightly more diverse sporting portfolio.
      Diego LFC
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,551 posts | 2147 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #466: Jul 08, 2018 11:42:59 pm
      LOL you really do have your nose bent out of shape about Brasil being beaten by the first good team they faced this world cup don't you. Mind you it must be quite annoying to fail four times in a row at the only sport your country takes serious part in, and one of them in humiliating fashion at Home, or am I forgetting some other Brasilian sporting triumphs? Its sort of similar to New Zealand and Rugby. Most countries have a slightly more diverse sporting portfolio.

You're a bit desperate, aren't you? The 45 years arbitrary period having failed, you're now bringing up other sports? And I'm the one supposed to be insecure...

You could try and discuss the World Cup in this thread once in a while, a St George's flag waving Scandinavian will need a lot more to wind me up when it comes to international football ;)
      LondonRed83

• 8,146 posts | 892 
      Reply #467: Jul 09, 2018 12:04:46 am
      What’s everyone moaning about?! F***ing fantastic that england have got through to a semi final!!

And they f**king deserve to be there.

Buzzing
      Jimsouse67
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,874 posts | 396 
      Reply #468: Jul 09, 2018 09:09:41 am
      What’s everyone moaning about?! F***ing fantastic that england have got through to a semi final!!

Buzzing
      You know what mate,I wasn't that arsed about England but I have to admit that I'm totally caught up in it now and hope we go all the way & as a side note Southgate really does come across as a very genuine person and very passionate.
      heimdall

• 7,780 posts | 1591 
      Reply #469: Jul 09, 2018 09:24:22 am

Buzzing

I 100% agree with you, I think its fantastic that England are doing so well, and that's me speaking as a Norwegian, but some Brazilians seem intent on ridiculing it, saying England had it easy so far in the tournament and it wasn't fair on Brazil, boo hoo hoo.
      For the record I fully accept that Norway are fairly crap at football, we can just glory in the occasional big scalp and the fact that Brazil have never beaten us, in fact the record stands at 2 wins and 2 draws to Norway :-).
      Our main sport is of course skiing and at that we do excel, winning the most golds at the recent Winter Olympics, not bad for a country of 5 million people.
      Diego LFC
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,551 posts | 2147 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #470: Jul 09, 2018 10:27:21 am
      some Brazilians seem intent on ridiculing it, saying England had it easy so far in the tournament and it wasn't fair on Brazil, boo hoo hoo.

Haha grow up you. I have not "ridiculed" England at any point, nor made excuses for Brazil. You're so sensitive you get a simple statement of fact as an insult and are unable to engage with my argument so you keep bringing up stuff like corruption in South America, rugby in New Zealand, and now skiing in Norway, for god knows what reason. I am finding it harder and harder to disagree with those who call you a wind up merchant.
      Jimsouse67
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,874 posts | 396 
      Reply #471: Jul 09, 2018 10:42:59 am
      Ribapuru
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,383 posts | 1232 
      Reply #472: Jul 09, 2018 11:07:27 am
      I looked into this who has been best, Brazil or Germany. Interesting fact about Brazil, the only  time they won a world cup in Europe was 1958. I have a Theory that South American teams do better outside Europe, because inside of Europe they don't have the advantage of European's having heat fatigue later in the game. European teams struggle outside of Europe more.
      Diego LFC
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,551 posts | 2147 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #473: Jul 09, 2018 11:30:36 am
      I looked into this who has been best, Brazil or Germany. Interesting fact about Brazil, the only  time they won a world cup in Europe was 1958. I have a Theory that South American teams do better outside Europe, because inside of Europe they don't have the advantage of European's having heat fatigue later in the game. European teams struggle outside of Europe more.

And the first time an European team won a World Cup outside of Europe was 2010 (Spain in South Africa), which was then repeated in 2014 (Germany in Brazil). I personally think with globalisation the differences are much less relevant. I don't think the issue is so much the heat. South Africa in the winter was probably colder than Russia in the summer. World Cup in Brazil was also during the winter, so temperatures were not that high. Specific climates such as the very humid Manaus weather make an impact on absolutely every team, for not even Brazilian players are used to that (the national team never plays there and there are no local strong clubs). Years ago travelling was a much bigger burden for teams traveling across continents, there were greater differences in refereeing and operations in general.
      heimdall

• 7,780 posts | 1591 
      Reply #474: Jul 09, 2018 11:53:40 am
      Haha grow up you. I have not "ridiculed" England at any point, nor made excuses for Brazil. You're so sensitive you get a simple statement of fact as an insult and are unable to engage with my argument so you keep bringing up stuff like corruption in South America, rugby in New Zealand, and now skiing in Norway, for god knows what reason. I am finding it harder and harder to disagree with those who call you a wind up merchant.

You stated that you've witnessed more sporting success than any other poster on the forum, which I simply highlighted as a complete load of bollocks and unbelievably arrogant, its not even true in a footballing sense an no I don't count all those tin pot championships you have in South America, same as I don't count the African nations tournament or the Euros, although the Euros is far more competitive than the other two.
      Your glorious Brazil can't even beat Norway at football FFS, LOL.
      Diego LFC
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,551 posts | 2147 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #475: Jul 09, 2018 12:14:27 pm
      You stated that you've witnessed more sporting success than any other poster on the forum, which I simply highlighted as a complete load of bollocks and unbelievably arrogant, its not even true in a footballing sense an no I don't count all those tin pot championships you have in South America, same as I don't count the African nations tournament or the Euros, although the Euros is far more competitive than the other two.
      Your glorious Brazil can't even beat Norway at football FFS, LOL.

And as you've been reminded by other posters who are not even myself, some of whom are England fans, that wasn't an insult but rather a statement of fact. Also, I didn't speak of "sporting" success more generally, I was quite obviously referring to international football, which make your references to skiing (fucks given: zero) seem all the more desperate. We might have some older England fans here who have seen their country win the World Cup in 1966, but I'm not familiar with any regular posters from countries that have seen their teams win 2 World Cups, 4 Confederations Cup and 1 Olympic games as I have (speaking of arrogance, take a look at your own constantly dismissive comments about South America...). Unless I'm much mistaken, none of our regular posters are from Germany or even Italy. And anyway that was only as a response to your continued attempts at winding me up. Seriously, when it comes to international football, you'll have to do much more than that to even get close. Surely not a Norwegian getting all worked up about England's "achievements" :D In Brazil, we have an expression for the likes of you: a person who's cumming with someone else's cock. But be careful, premature ejaculation is a very common problem...
      heimdall

• 7,780 posts | 1591 
      Reply #476: Jul 09, 2018 12:20:55 pm
      And as you've been reminded by other posters who are not even myself, some of whom are England fans, that wasn't an insult but rather a statement of fact. Also, I didn't speak of "sporting" success more generally, I was quite obviously referring to international football, which make your references to skiing (fucks given: zero) seem all the more desperate. We might have some older England fans here who have seen their country win the World Cup in 1966, but I'm not familiar with any regular posters from countries that have seen their teams win 2 World Cups, 4 Confederations Cup and 1 Olympic games as I have (speaking of arrogance, take a look at your own constantly dismissive comments about South America...). Unless I'm much mistaken, none of our regular posters are from Germany or even Italy. And anyway that was only as a response to your continued attempts at winding me up. Seriously, when it comes to international football, you'll have to do much more than that to even get close. Surely not a Norwegian getting all worked up about England's "achievements" :D In Brazil, we have an expression for the likes of you: a person who's cumming with someone else's cock. But be careful, premature ejaculation is a very common problem...

What a curious expression, doesn't really make much sense, much like Brazil itself, a country that should be filthy rich but isn't. BTW Olympic games football, are you being serious now, no one gives a f**k about that and the Confederations cup is a bit of a joke competition as well. 2 World cups is of course impressive but 2002 is starting to seem a long time ago now isn't it, mind you not quite as long at 1966, I'll give you that!:-)
      Diego LFC
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,551 posts | 2147 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #477: Jul 09, 2018 12:26:41 pm
      What a curious expression, doesn't really make much sense, much like Brazil itself, a country that should be filthy rich but isn't. BTW Olympic games football, are you being serious now, no one gives a f**k about that and the Confederations cup is a bit of a joke competition as well. 2 World cups is of course impressive but 2002 is starting to seem a long time ago now isn't it, mind you not quite as long at 1966, I'll give you that!:-)

Oh, what a surprising response :roll:

Yeah, so Copa America are "tin pots" competitions, "no one gives a f**k" about Olympic Games and the Confederations Cup "is a bit of a joke". My statement remains true regardless, and you can't deal with it...

Oh well, if only we could win more skiing medals...
      heimdall

• 7,780 posts | 1591 
      Reply #478: Jul 09, 2018 12:33:52 pm
      Oh, what a surprising response :roll:

Yeah, so Copa America are "tin pots" competitions, "no one gives a f**k" about Olympic Games and the Confederations Cup "is a bit of a joke". My statement remains true regardless, and you can't deal with it...

Oh well, if only we could win more skiing medals...

Nah Brazil would lose to Norway in skiing as well as football.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 28,778 posts | 3420 
      Reply #479: Jul 09, 2018 01:55:15 pm
      Nah Brazil would lose to Norway in skiing as well as football.

Quick Reply