Trending Topics

Next match: Watford v LFC [Premier League] Sat 24th Nov @ 3:00 pm
      Vicarage Road

Today is the 14th of November and on this date LFC's match record is P16 W7 D4 L5

2018 World Cup: Semi Finals

Read 3494 times
      RedPuppy
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 17,091 posts | 1657 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      2018 World Cup: Semi Finals
      Jul 07, 2018 09:50:39 pm

Tuesday 10th July: KO 19:00BST
      France v Belgium
      Croatia v England

Wednesday 11th July: KO 19:00BST

« Last Edit: Jul 17, 2018 08:07:40 pm by JD »
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,552 posts | 2524 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Re: World Cup: Semi Finals
      Reply #1: Jul 07, 2018 09:55:41 pm
      3/4 chance that at least 1 of our guys will be returning with a World Cup winners medal.
      srslfc
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 25,052 posts | 1665 
      Reply #2: Jul 07, 2018 09:56:08 pm
      Belgium v England final I think.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,721 posts | 1282 
      Reply #3: Jul 07, 2018 10:28:56 pm

Wouldn't bet against it, especially if De Bruyne and Hazard turns up. They probably have the best attack out of the 4 teams.
      Shabs
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,182 posts | 1963 
      Reply #4: Jul 08, 2018 12:41:56 am

More of a Premier League game.. Could see it being played at that pace..
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 18,320 posts | 1911 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #5: Jul 08, 2018 02:50:05 am
      Come on Belgium!

I'm ABF in this WC now. Anyone But France.

So France will most definitely go and win it now.
      heimdall

• 7,003 posts | 1257 
      Reply #6: Jul 08, 2018 08:37:26 am
      Come on Belgium!

I'm ABF in this WC now. Anyone But France.

So France will most definitely go and win it now.

Why not France?
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 4,656 posts | 355 
      Reply #7: Jul 08, 2018 08:47:36 am
      Well can you believe it! England on the crest of a wave and in the semi final of the World Cup.  ;D I'm loving every second of it and jumping on the bang wagon ITS COMING HOME.  :lmao:

Let's be realistic, we're a average team, we've been very fortunate with the draw. Only good side we've played is Belgium and that was more like a friendly giving the circumstances.

I'm on record as saying before the World Cup over the last few years it's been terrible watching England play, sh*te team, sh*te managers. All though I won't be eating humble pie ( coz were still average) that won't stop my vocal cords cheering for England at the top of my voice come Wednesday.

What Southgate has done is brought back believe in his team and the country that perhaps we can just do this. Were not the best side left in the competition, that obviously goes to Belgium & France.

LETS START TO BELIEVE!........ ITS COMING HOME  ;D

Ribapuru

• 9,226 posts | 939 
      Reply #8: Jul 08, 2018 09:43:10 am
      Well can you believe it! England on the crest of a wave and in the semi final of the World Cup.  ;D I'm loving every second of it and jumping on the bang wagon ITS COMING HOME.  :lmao:

Let's be realistic, we're a average team, we've been very fortunate with the draw. Only good side we've played is Belgium and that was more like a friendly giving the circumstances.

I'm on record as saying before the World Cup over the last few years it's been terrible watching England play, sh*te team, sh*te managers. All though I won't be eating humble pie ( coz were still average) that won't stop my vocal cords cheering for England at the top of my voice come Wednesday.

What Southgate has done is brought back believe in his team and the country that perhaps we can just do this. Were not the best side left in the competition, that obviously goes to Belgium & France.

LETS START TO BELIEVE!........ ITS COMING HOME  ;D
      We've played a few good sides in this. Belgium are world class. Hopefully we can get past another good side, Croatia.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 18,320 posts | 1911 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #9: Jul 08, 2018 11:22:09 am

Just want to see something different, France won the WC and the Euros in living memory, all the other have either won f**k all in history or just a long time ago, would find that far more interesting
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,625 posts | 2290 
      Reply #10: Jul 08, 2018 05:26:32 pm
      So we are playing in all white and not all Red in the semi even though Croatia have been designated as the "home" team.

Oh well.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 18,928 posts | 4466 
      • YNWA
      Reply #11: Jul 08, 2018 05:34:50 pm
      Personally think it's an amazing semi final line up. Belgium v France is titanic in terms of the quality of players on show and Croatia v England had a lot of history in the 00s with some excellent matches and scorelines coming out of that fixture not just in Euro 2004 but most famously in that tragicomedy at a rain sodden Wembley that confirmed McClaren as one of the biggest jokes in English football history.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,674 posts | 1283 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #12: Jul 08, 2018 05:36:05 pm
      Wonder if steve 'mary poppins' mclaren will be there
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 23,815 posts | 2551 
      Reply #13: Jul 08, 2018 05:47:27 pm
      Well remember 1990 like it was yesterday that particular team really did perform as a team and never gave up it was a fantastic tournament.
      I am going to thoroughly enjoy every minute win lose or draw as its such a rare event for England.
      Not hearing the fans whistle and Boo the opponents National Anthem or having to witness pitch battles has been such a bonus for me just hope that lot don't turn up for this game
      Ribapuru

• 9,226 posts | 939 
      Reply #14: Jul 08, 2018 06:00:18 pm
      So we are playing in all white and not all Red in the semi even though Croatia have been designated as the "home" team.

Oh well.
      Red is home kit and white is away, but we should be able to wear red since Croatia have black.
      I am not a fan of changing shirt colours after doing well in red.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,674 posts | 1283 
      Reply #15: Jul 08, 2018 06:14:25 pm
      Well remember 1990 like it was yesterday that particular team really did perform as a team and never gave up it was a fantastic tournament.
      I am going to thoroughly enjoy every minute win lose or draw as its such a rare event for England.
      Not hearing the fans whistle and Boo the opponents National Anthem or having to witness pitch battles has been such a bonus for me just hope that lot don't turn up for this game

Interesting how different people see things, always seen 1990 as a pretty poor tournament football wise but suppose England fans see it differently
      Scottbot

• 6,892 posts | 1024 
      Reply #16: Jul 08, 2018 09:02:42 pm
      Interesting how different people see things, always seen 1990 as a pretty poor tournament football wise but suppose England fans see it differently

If you watch it back the football at that tournament wasn’t so pretty. My memory was of an England team that played some silky stuff but having watched the full 90 minutes of the Belgium, Cameroon and West Germany games in the KO stages on YouTube a while back it was actually pretty mediocre stuff. The game today is a lot easier on the eye I would say
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 18,320 posts | 1911 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #17: Jul 09, 2018 12:13:38 am

I was too young at the time but I've seen some of the key matches, and generally most people I know tend to refer to 1990 as a pretty dire tournament overall, I think especially in comparison to 1986 which was supposed to have been amazing.

How your country does on the tournament definitely changes perceptions though, watching back some of the 2002 matches years later I came to the conclusion that it was a quite poor competition, but at the time it felt amazing.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,674 posts | 1283 
      Reply #18: Jul 09, 2018 12:38:41 am
      I was too young at the time but I've seen some of the key matches, and generally most people I know tend to refer to 1990 as a pretty dire tournament overall, I think especially in comparison to 1986 which was supposed to have been amazing.

How your country does on the tournament definitely changes perceptions though, watching back some of the 2002 matches years later I came to the conclusion that it was a quite poor competition, but at the time it felt amazing.

82 and 86 are my favourites
      Ebieahi
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 367 posts | 42 
      Reply #19: Jul 09, 2018 11:36:05 am
      2010 for me, being the first one in Africa...vibe was amazing.
      This one is delivering some great football and upsets too, love the desire and determination shown by the minnows. Im hoping for another first time winner this time around, similar to 2010.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 18,320 posts | 1911 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #20: Jul 09, 2018 12:21:39 pm
      2010 for me, being the first one in Africa...vibe was amazing.
      This one is delivering some great football and upsets too, love the desire and determination shown by the minnows. Im hoping for another first time winner this time around, similar to 2010.

2010 was fun to watch but I wouldn't say the football on display was particularly entertaining... though every World Cup has its moments! If you're in the host country though, it's an amazing experience no matter what happens on the pitch.

I was also relieved when Spain won it, because they were surely the best team, and as much as I normally like the Dutch team, the football they played in that competition wasn't very easy on the eye. It was cool having a final between two countries who have never won it before, something that might happen again (a potential Belgium vs Croatia final).
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,879 posts | 3583 
      Reply #21: Jul 09, 2018 01:26:34 pm
      Of all our players who went to the World Cup I don't think I would have either Lovren or Henderson down as definitely playing in a World Cup Final.

Crazy days.

I thought Sweden would get the better of England so I'm not sure my belief that Croatia will be too good for England means much.

Ultimately I think the World Cup winner is coming from the other semi-final.
      Ribapuru

• 9,226 posts | 939 
      Reply #22: Jul 09, 2018 01:39:30 pm
      Of all our players who went to the World Cup I don't think I would have either Lovren or Henderson down as definitely playing in a World Cup Final.

Crazy days.

I thought Sweden would get the better of England so I'm not sure my belief that Croatia will be too good for England means much.

Of course, they get 20% longer to rest. That is massive! Even if England win in the semi, the amount better we are than France or Belgium won't be enough to counter the extra day rest they get.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 28,646 posts | 3329 
      Reply #23: Jul 09, 2018 01:51:42 pm

I always think the World Cup in the U.S in 94 had some good games and some absolute great goals, from the performances of the Romanians and Bulgarians, but is always referred to as a sh*t world cup.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,625 posts | 2290 
      Reply #24: Jul 09, 2018 02:10:50 pm

Crazy days.

I saw what you did there JD.   ;D

Reverse thinking.

Won't say anything if you don't .
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,625 posts | 2290 
      Reply #25: Jul 09, 2018 02:15:53 pm
      A world of difference from two years ago.

Woy's parting shot when he couldn't be bothered to do the Press Conference after the Iceland game and just wanted to get his money and run ...

" I don't know what I'm doing here ".

Infamous.

He didn't know what he was doing when at Anfield either.
      heimdall

• 7,003 posts | 1257 
      Reply #26: Jul 09, 2018 02:34:27 pm
      I always think the World Cup in the U.S in 94 had some good games and some absolute great goals, from the performances of the Romanians and Bulgarians, but is always referred to as a sh*t world cup.

I always liked the world cup in 98 when Norway beat Brazil, cue Diego!!! ;-)
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 28,646 posts | 3329 
      Reply #27: Jul 09, 2018 03:10:14 pm
      I always liked the world cup in 98 when Norway beat Brazil, cue Diego!!! ;-)

Already mentioned that World Cup in one of the other threads.

Bergkamp's winner against Argentina is still my favourite goal from that competition.
      Ribapuru

• 9,226 posts | 939 
      Reply #28: Jul 09, 2018 03:13:36 pm

Bergkamp's winner against Argentina is still my favourite goal from that competition.
      Overrated goal. Argentina should have dealt with that long ball, instead Bergkamp just had to score a relatively easy goal.
      PurpleMonkey

• 8,721 posts | 1282 
      Reply #29: Jul 09, 2018 03:18:56 pm

World class goal! I really liked his one vs Leciester in the same season too! What a player Bergkamp was!

Quick Reply