Trending Topics

2018 World Cup: Semi Finals

Read 3799 times
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,871 posts | 1380 
      Re: World Cup: Semi Finals
      Reply #360: Jul 11, 2018 11:35:02 pm
      Congratulations Dadorius. I know that guy is from Croatia. Good luck against France!  :ernaehrung004:

Would add Red8 to that too. Congrats and hope you guys win it!
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 18,417 posts | 1987 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #361: Jul 11, 2018 11:37:52 pm
      Congratulations Dadorius. I know that guy is from Croatia. Good luck against France!  :ernaehrung004:

True! Congrats Dadorious and enjoy it.

I visited Croatia last year and loved it, what a beautiful country!
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,704 posts | 876 
      Reply #362: Jul 12, 2018 12:25:25 am
      You're heading home, you're heading home...

In all seriousness didn't bother me who got through tonight, but preferred Croatia so good on them. Hope they can complete the fairytale against the French!
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,511 posts | 186 
      Reply #363: Jul 12, 2018 02:47:41 am
      England did well. Like Brazil and France they went with functional work rate midfielders  in an effort to counter the creative midfields of the waning lights of Spain and Germany. Its probably easier tactically for England to do this and they did it well. They could have gone all the way but you always felt they would struggle to chase a game against a good team. If they played in the final against France and France scored first the remaining minutes would be painful. If Southgate stays on he needs to give them more potency.

C'mon Croatia, I don't think France have been good to watch and I think that is important. Especially with the players they have.
      Jimsouse67
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,686 posts | 376 
      Reply #364: Jul 12, 2018 07:46:31 am
      Certainly hope the outcome is a better one for dejan,he would be only the second player to win one whilst playing for the reds behind sir roger.
      I'll certainly be rooting for him come Sunday.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,554 posts | 2557 
      Reply #365: Jul 12, 2018 07:58:25 am
      Can't see past France now.

Deschamps will bore the team to a win, so much talent but such a negative coach.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,858 posts | 2975 
      • @MrPrice1979
      Reply #366: Jul 12, 2018 08:29:29 am
      You're heading home, you're heading home...

In all seriousness didn't bother me who got through tonight, but preferred Croatia so good on them. Hope they can complete the fairytale against the French!

You're Australian, right?
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,858 posts | 2975 
      • @MrPrice1979
      Reply #367: Jul 12, 2018 08:30:38 am
      Don't you guys find it funny that the non English people are actually discussing the game and England? :D

Yeah, it's Everton like behaviour.
      Scottbot

• 6,970 posts | 1057 
      Reply #368: Jul 12, 2018 08:45:57 am
      FairPlay to Southgate, he has done an excellent job with a very limited England team, made them solid, got them playing through the he 3rds (at least until last night) and took them as far as they were capable of going in truth.

What has always puzzled me about England and English football is why don't we produce players like Scholes more often? He really shouldn't be a generational player but he is. We simply don't produce those players who can either be the metronome/conductor of a team i.e. Modric, Prilo, Alonso or a string pulling number 10 i.e. Silva, Coutinho, Fabregas, Erickson, Banega etc. It's always a foreign player who fill those roles for our top EPL teams and whilst England produce some good players They are not the same without the aforementioned players who usually make things tick or can unlock packed defences. It must be deep rooted in the way we coach players in Academies and the also the amateur game. These types of players are ten a penny in foreign leagues so why can't the home grown players turn out the same?
      PGlynn91
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 4,340 posts | 204 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #369: Jul 12, 2018 08:49:58 am
      Really think England fans need to understand that they had a very easy group and came 2nd which was the absolute bare minimum possible.

They beat a Columbian team missing their best player on penalties.

They beat a Swedish side with Seb Larsson centre midfield and who's team wouldnt get one player into the English one.

They then lost to Croatia who had just played two 120min games.

So basically they played three decent sides and were not capable of winning any of those.
      Scottbot

• 6,970 posts | 1057 
      Reply #370: Jul 12, 2018 08:52:07 am
      As well as the team played up to this point I thought Croatia well and truly Sussed Southgates 3-5-2 formation in the 2nd half. They simply made the pitch wider, overloaded the wings, looked to create 2 on 1s which forced Alli and Lingard out wide (both were dead in their feet by 60 minutes). It was crying out for a change in system and a revert to a back 4 but I think Southgate had nailed his colours to the mast by this point.

It's funny because I was utterly devastated in 1990 (I had just turned 16), was similarly gutted in 96 and again in 98 but these days it's a bit of dissapointment and then move on to the real footy. But still, England have filled the summer gap and helped ease the pain (slightly) of losing the Champions League final (in that they took my mind off it). Less than a month to go to the new EPL season!!!!!!! A few more signings and we'll be rocking!!
      chats
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 20,764 posts | 606 
      Reply #371: Jul 12, 2018 08:54:32 am
      Good fun whilst it lasted now back to focusing on the Reds!
      Scottbot

• 6,970 posts | 1057 
      Reply #372: Jul 12, 2018 08:55:13 am
      Really think England fans need to understand that they had a very easy group and came 2nd which was the absolute bare minimum possible.

They beat a Swedish side with Seb Larsson centre midfield and who's team wouldnt get one player into the English one.

So basically they played three decent sides and were not capable of winning any of those.

Absolutely, the draw opened up like never before. I would give a bit more credit for the Sweden game though. The reason Italy aren't there is because the Swedes put them out in the playoffs. But your right, this is a limited group of players and they got as far as they should got given the teams they played against. I think France would have embarrassed us in the final and suspect they will win very comfortably against a knackered Croatia side. I.m predicting 3-0.
      Jimsouse67
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,686 posts | 376 
      Reply #373: Jul 12, 2018 09:41:58 am
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 4,763 posts | 426 
      Reply #374: Jul 12, 2018 10:02:04 am
      Well that's it for another 4 years. As England fans what can we take out of this years World Cup? Let's take a look.

Going into the tournament apart from those that wear tinted glasses we really didn't have a chance. As stated before a ball was kicked England are bang average with a sh*te manager with no pedigree either.

So what have England fans and the nation  got out of it? Well let me put my side across. I felt proud to be English again. What Southgate did was bring back some believe into our nation. So many jumped on the bang waggon (( including myself )) with "its coming home" it was great to have that passion in the English team which has been missing for decades.

I'd be more than happy now to give Southgate a chance to carry on. I was a hater but now a supporter of him. He's earned my respect as a fan. I was wrong to judge him based on no experience. Not saying he will win anything but gets my vote to try. Pretty sure he will come out of this World Cup with flying colours.

Yes we had a easy draw. Yes we never came up against anybody till last nite. However, we started to believe it was possible even if it was only from the heart. Southgate and team England have now brought the passion back into the national team. That for me is success in its self.

The match...

F**k me we could of won this in the first half if it wasn't for our missed chances. We played so well in that 45 mins. Honestly thought we had a great chance of reaching the final. However, Croatia woke up in the second half. lovren had what was arguably his best game todate. Tottaly owned sterling  :lmao: (( doesn't play like that for Liverpool ))

Everyone was saying Croatia fitness would weaken in second half. How wrong could they be? It was England who came out exhausted. Left holes in their defence. Not going to point out any individuals as think that would be a little unfair as I think basically they will get a heroes welcome when they come home after Belgium give us a good hiding for 3rd place.  :D

Player of the tournament from the English side for me was Trippier. Other notable mentions, Pickford, Henderson & Maguire.
      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now let the transfer market take off and lets get new blood into our domestic games. BRING BACK THE PREMIER LEAGUE? The best league in the world.  ;D
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,704 posts | 876 
      Reply #375: Jul 12, 2018 10:44:41 am

Yes. Your point? :D
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,704 posts | 876 
      Reply #376: Jul 12, 2018 10:46:18 am
      Don't you guys find it funny that the non English people are actually discussing the game and England? :D

Equally as funny to you possibly as I found the three weeks of insufferable "It's coming home" sh*te.

I live in Australia and it was f**king everywhere. God damn f**king colonisers ;)
      mrgowww
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 27 posts |
      Reply #377: Jul 12, 2018 11:30:19 am

Based man, sad but true, we must accept it... As sad as it seems to be... Maybe next one we will be better
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,858 posts | 2975 
      • @MrPrice1979
      Reply #378: Jul 12, 2018 11:52:09 am
      Equally as funny to you possibly as I found the three weeks of insufferable "It's coming home" sh*te.

I live in Australia and it was f**king everywhere. God damn f**king colonisers ;)

Stick to cricket and rugby ;)
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 34,003 posts | 3655 
      Reply #379: Jul 12, 2018 12:38:05 pm
      Player of the tournament from the English side for me was Trippier. Other notable mentions, Pickford, Henderson & Maguire.

Yep I'd go along with that.  Thought Kyle Walker was one of the weaker players in the side.  Not sure what I'm missing but I don't think Sterling did much in the whole tournament.

And also not sure that Harry Kane is going to be the worthiest winner ever of the golden boot.  Nobody will ever convince me its a good idea to have your main goalscorer saddled with captaincy.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 18,417 posts | 1987 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #380: Jul 12, 2018 12:44:39 pm

Exactly. The problem is that fans and journalists are very eager to create narratives to explain stuff, rather than simply accept the role that luck plays in football. So you get a bunch of ridiculous over analysis of England's tactics, as if it was some sort of genius work, instead of a basically conservative setup overly reliant on set pieces. You get Southgate's redemption, you get "streetwise". ZzzZzzZzzZ

I don't think Southgate has overperformed - perhaps only to the extent that winning when you're favourites makes him better than his predecessor who somehow managed to be knocked out of a major tournament by a country with a population of 300k people. But the fact remains England have not beat any of the decent sides they've played against. The ones they did beat were already expected wins. So he pretty much performed to expectations, the difference this time being that England had its easiest draw in living memory and this got them into a semifinal.

There are positives to take for England though. This squad is still really young (funnily their oldest starter was the fella named Young) and this experience will have done them no harm for future competitions. England are much more likely to go into the next Euros thinking they can go one better this time, and are also bound to have a more confident support at home, as opposed to just having players seemingly going out for a holiday with fans at home just waiting to jump on their backs as was the case in the last few tournaments.
      « Last Edit: Jul 12, 2018 12:50:33 pm by Diego LFC »
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,262 posts | 969 
      Reply #381: Jul 12, 2018 01:46:27 pm
      England did really well considering this is a poor team when all said and done.

Questionable centre halves,  Young as a left wing back.  Only Hendo worthy of the tag of a true centre midfielder in the starting XI, Sterling who would struggle to score without a goalkeeper in net.

Even our manager who in all honesty was in the right place at the right time rather than having a CV that would entitle you too the national job

They surpassed anything the golden generation achieved and were one of the youngest teams in the tournament.

I dont think the future will get much brighter than that for them though. This was more than probably the best chance this group will ever have.

Southgate has to look at the formation and personnel really. 5 at the back meant we had no width in attack, we had no shape to keep the ball and work through the lines, and very few players in the box when we attacked. It was the set plays that kept us in tge tournament. Against Croatia we panicked and booted everything long.

He will have to decide between Lingard and Alli too because there's no way Hendo can play against the likes of Rakitic and Modric going forward. They're luxury players and only one can play with 2 committed CMs.

I worry that their relative success will stop them from solving these issues

The wait will go on for a lot longer yet but  despite their obvious limitations they gave most of the country a good month of boozing.
      « Last Edit: Jul 12, 2018 01:57:09 pm by fields of anny rd »
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,672 posts | 2314 
      Reply #382: Jul 12, 2018 02:58:57 pm
      So we are playing in all white and not all Red in the semi even though Croatia have been designated as the "home" team.

Oh well.

..... well.  It wasn't lucky Red.

When was the last goal from open play ?

Why did Kane die out ...... he was marked out and Sterling self destructed. 
      Where were the other options? What other options ?

Questionable centre halves,  Young as a left wing back.   Sterling who would struggle to score without a goalkeeper in net.

5 at the back meant we had no width in attack, we had no shape to keep the ball and work through the lines, and very few players in the box when we attacked. It was the set plays that kept us in the tournament.

and finally ...

So basically they played three decent sides .....  and were not capable of winning any of those.

« Last Edit: Jul 12, 2018 03:12:34 pm by MIRO »
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,672 posts | 2314 
      Reply #383: Jul 12, 2018 03:06:05 pm
      adammac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,660 posts | 46 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #384: Jul 12, 2018 04:30:23 pm
      he difference this time being that England had its easiest draw in living memory and this got them into a semifinal.

I think Germany 2002 would rival that or in fact be easier when they made it to the finals in 2002 (KSA, Rep of Ireland, Cameroon, Paraguay, USA, South Korea). The way I would look at it at the start of the competition looking at groups and knockout a QF would be seen as a good result and they one upped it by getting to the semi-finals. Yes they had to beat Sweden to get in the semi-finals but nothing they could do about Germany having a poor World Cup (if the brackets went as predicted). There are a lot more positives to come out of this then negatives and I looking forward to see how they go about the 3rd place game Saturday.
      Ribapuru

• 9,792 posts | 1072 
      Reply #385: Jul 12, 2018 05:51:53 pm
      Is there much merit to what England fans are saying about the Turkish ref? Please can I have a non biast and honest opinion.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,881 posts | 1358 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #386: Jul 12, 2018 05:56:11 pm
      Is there much merit to what England fans are saying about the Turkish ref? Please can I have a non biast and honest opinion.

Not really, maybe lovren could have been booked but otherwise he was reasonable
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 28,700 posts | 3373 
      Reply #387: Jul 12, 2018 05:58:07 pm
      PurpleMonkey

• 8,871 posts | 1380 
      Reply #388: Jul 12, 2018 05:59:05 pm

Ask yourself this, did you come in here or anyone else and complain about the Ref during and after the match?
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 4,763 posts | 426 
      Reply #389: Jul 12, 2018 06:07:55 pm

Can only speak for myself and thought he was ok..

Quick Reply