Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Man Utd [Premier League] Sun 16th Dec @ 4:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 14th of December and on this date LFC's match record is P23 W11 D4 L8

2018 World Cup: Semi Finals

Read 3760 times
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,111 posts | 4581 
      • YNWA
      Re: World Cup: Semi Finals
      Reply #330: Jul 11, 2018 10:30:05 pm
      I think England had the same "problem" as us in midfield. Henderson is an exceptional/world class industrial player, but a footballer he is not and struggles to get control when in possession against a good footballing midfield. Then you had Lingard and Alli who are not creative and more attacking midfield runners than controllers.  If England had more control of the ball, it would have been Croatia looking the tidy team, not England.

I agree with Winks too, have always been impressed with him and no doubt he would have ended up in the England squad and possibly first 11 if he had been fit.

Exactly. And the problem is that industry counts for nothing if the opposition is running you ragged like Croatia did tonight just before and after that equaliser of theirs. When the going gets tough, you need that player who can just offer that bit of sedate, intelligence on the ball to regain control of things. Henderson, for all his world class industry, couldn't offer that and nor could Eric Dier when he came on. That's the big challenge for England in the next year or two - find that footballer in midfield who can navigate your way through tough matches like tonight. Winks could be that player, who knows? We all know how badly Sven blew the unique talents of Scholes (playing him on the left wing - remember that?) and in hindsight that seems all the more criminal when you see what they lack today.
      DanMann
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,609 posts | 407 
      Reply #331: Jul 11, 2018 10:31:37 pm
      Hilarious! Please take your I'm Not Even English Yet Supported Them Fully medal. God knows why you're bragging about it.

Bragging? Haha. English not your 1st language eh? That's okay.

Every pathetic dive from your idol was hilarious. My comment was just mildly amusing.
      Ribapuru
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,758 posts | 1068 
      Reply #332: Jul 11, 2018 10:32:25 pm
      For one... you don't get to choose
      Two... you can't even get saying right

Thick sh*te
      Personally, I thought we have a choice because Croatia kit did not collide with either of ours.
      If that is not the case, why can't you be polite and say that instead of all the insults?
      Your insults are below the belt, way way below.
      tq redz
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 35 posts |
      Reply #333: Jul 11, 2018 10:33:34 pm
      Any way, where the f**k is Koppite Luke😯😯
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 18,405 posts | 1978 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #334: Jul 11, 2018 10:36:07 pm

Every pathetic dive from your idol was hilarious. My comment was just mildly amusing.

Ooohh, taking it hard, are you? :D No, English isn't my first language, but that was exactly the word I wanted to use. Thought you were feeling very proud of yourself - you supported them fully! Tell us though, why is it that not supporting England has anything to do with schools and being educated?
      Ribapuru

• 9,758 posts | 1068 
      Reply #335: Jul 11, 2018 10:36:19 pm
      I'm Not

Didn't realize you had any..

Feel for them though now
      Look, you have said enough.
      not biting, I am going to let the mods deal with it.
      Kopite78
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,397 posts | 1534 
      Reply #336: Jul 11, 2018 10:37:01 pm
      . My comment was just mildly amusing.

Nope

Personally, I thought we have a choice

Do research then

Ever heard the saying

It's better to stay quiet and let people think you're an idiot than open your mouth and confirm it
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,866 posts | 1351 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #337: Jul 11, 2018 10:37:12 pm
      Personally, I thought we have a choice because Croatia kit did not collide with either of ours.
      If that is not the case, why can't you be polite and say that instead of all the insults?

Have you ever seen the film frozen rib, good bit of advice in that film
      RedPuppy
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 17,138 posts | 1728 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #338: Jul 11, 2018 10:38:47 pm

Their home kit clashes with England's 1st & 2nd kits, thus they played in the black kit, by default Englend then played in their 1st/home kit. As Croatia had black shorts which clashed with the navy shorts of England, they are were changed to white, the socks did not clash.does.
      Kopite78
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,397 posts | 1534 
      Reply #339: Jul 11, 2018 10:38:55 pm

I've met Diego a few times and he is probably the most knowledgeable footy fan I've ever met 👍
      DanMann
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,609 posts | 407 
      Reply #340: Jul 11, 2018 10:44:08 pm
      Ooohh, taking it hard, are you? :D No, English isn't my first language, but that was exactly the word I wanted to use. Thought you were feeling very proud of yourself - you supported them fully! Tell us though, why is it that not supporting England has anything to do with schools and being educated?

See, you misunderstood.

The point is that Kopite claimed that being Scouse meant he was not English.
      Kopite78
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,397 posts | 1534 
      Reply #341: Jul 11, 2018 10:45:45 pm
      See, you misunderstood.

The point is that Kopite claimed that being Scouse meant he was not English.

When did I claim that?

I'm from England, I love and appreciate where I was born for the opportunities it gives me to be whatever I work hard enough to be

I don't support the England football team though 👍
      DanMann
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,609 posts | 407 
      Reply #342: Jul 11, 2018 10:47:12 pm
      Kopite78
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,397 posts | 1534 
      Reply #343: Jul 11, 2018 10:47:44 pm

Here

When did I claim that?

I'm from England, I love and appreciate where I was born for the opportunities it gives me to be whatever I work hard enough to be

I don't support the England football team though 👍

👍
      Ribapuru

• 9,758 posts | 1068 
      Reply #344: Jul 11, 2018 10:47:53 pm
      I don't think we have a chance in Qatar.
      No chance in that climate.
      That has Brazil's name on it.
      ruthcity
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,447 posts | 274 
      Reply #345: Jul 11, 2018 10:48:05 pm
      At least we didn't go out to that Sergio Ramos c**t tonight. In fact we went further than him.
      srslfc
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 25,097 posts | 1697 
      Reply #346: Jul 11, 2018 10:49:50 pm
      I don't think we have a chance in Qatar.
      No chance in that climate.
      That has Brazil's name on it.

What if you play in red?

Surely that'll be too much for the boys from Brazil.
      DanMann
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,609 posts | 407 
      Reply #347: Jul 11, 2018 10:50:01 pm

Cool. Glad that is sorted.  :kop5cf8koxp6:
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,250 posts | 969 
      Reply #348: Jul 11, 2018 10:50:40 pm
      England did well to get that far. That isn't a great team we have there. Very direct and lacking in quality.

It was fun while it lasted!
      srslfc
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 25,097 posts | 1697 
      Reply #349: Jul 11, 2018 10:51:15 pm
      Is it a relatively new thing for people watching on big screens and fan zones to throw pints when a goal goes in?

Weird.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,111 posts | 4581 
      • YNWA
      Reply #350: Jul 11, 2018 10:57:00 pm
      I think he has shown that he hasn't enough flexibility.

It was 3 5 2 or nothing.

Coming up against sides like Croatia with this England squad needs a bit more thought about how to change the game.

Slavan Bilic was spot on after the game when he talked about how this was the first time Croatia came up against 3 at the back and it took them 45 mind to work it out but after half time they had it sussed.

I agree. The saying 'we had no plan b' is a cliche amongst football fans to excuse the fact that their players had an off day for whatever reason but for England it was probably true tonight because from the start it was clear they weren't going to have an off day and they were excellent for much of that first 45 minutes. But as you say, come the second half Croatia had sussed it.

I remember watching England play Scotland in the qualifiers amongst other matches they were involved in in that group and they were very underwhelming. But Southgate was proactive enough in recent months to revert to that back three which has made them look a much more solid unit if still unspectacular. It'll be interesting to see in the next few months and ahead of the Euro 2020 qualifiers whether a new shape or two will emerge to offer something of a plan b.

Overall though, I've been impressed by the way he has conducted himself at this World Cup, to the media, to the fans, to opposition teams. I moved down to London recently and, even if I'm not English myself, the atmosphere and general humour amongst the English was infectious and I think Southgate's gentlemanly conduct and very inclusive manner is something that has set a really great example to many fans much needed after many of them disgraced themselves 2 years ago when they travelled around France taunting about Brexit and getting into scraps. Given that England disgraced themselves on the field as well with a rank rotten manager who lacked any sense of self awareness and arrogant delusional beliefs regarding his own abilities, England have actually come a long long way. Comic and hilarious but I suppose such hilarity had to end sometime and it's somewhat surprising that Southgate was the man to end the joke.

The issue for them now is how do they continue to keep fans interested beyond this and into the Euros and the next World Cup? I think Southgate will do everything he can to do just that, and I'm sure he'll be as proactive as ever but history shows that the FA will probably find a way of squandering all that hope, passion and commitment...as well as the prospects of all those talented English youngsters in their ranks.
      Ribapuru

• 9,758 posts | 1068 
      Reply #351: Jul 11, 2018 10:57:15 pm
      On the plus side, no more f**king it's coming home.
      Couldn't stand that song.
      srslfc
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 25,097 posts | 1697 
      Reply #352: Jul 11, 2018 11:00:48 pm
      I agree. The saying 'we had no plan b' is a cliche amongst football fans to excuse the fact that their players had an off day for whatever reason but for England it was probably true tonight because from the start it was clear they weren't going to have an off day and they were excellent for much of that first 45 minutes. But as you say, come the second half Croatia had sussed it.

I remember watching England play Scotland in the qualifiers amongst other matches they were involved in in that group and they were very underwhelming. But Southgate was proactive enough in recent months to revert to that back three which has made them look a much more solid unit if still unspectacular. It'll be interesting to see in the next few months and ahead of the Euro 2020 qualifiers whether a new shape or two will emerge to offer something of a plan b.

Overall though, I've been impressed by the way he has conducted himself at this World Cup, to the media, to the fans, to opposition teams. I moved down to London recently and, even if I'm not English myself, the atmosphere and general humour amongst the English was infectious and I think Southgate's gentlemanly conduct and very inclusive manner is something that has set a really great example to many fans much needed after many of them disgraced themselves 2 years ago when they travelled around France taunting about Brexit and getting into scraps. Given that England disgraced themselves on the field as well with a rank rotten manager who lacked any sense of self awareness and arrogant delusional beliefs regarding his own abilities, England have actually come a long long way. And it's the first time in my lifetime I can properly recall pride and passion towards the England football team. The issue for them now is how do they continue to keep fans interested beyond this and into the Euros and the next World Cup? I think Southgate will do everything he can to do just that, and I'm sure he'll be as proactive as ever but history shows that the FA will probably find a way of squandering all that hope, passion and commitment...as well as the prospects of all those talented English youngsters in their ranks.

Yea, Southgate the man has grown on me and he is a credit to himself.

It'll make it even more sad when the tabloids inevitably turn on him at some point.

As a coach I think he is decent, nothing more, but hopefully he can use this and develop more for.

I say hopefully which is weird as I couldn't care less to be honest. ;D
      PurpleMonkey

• 8,858 posts | 1377 
      Reply #353: Jul 11, 2018 11:02:43 pm
      Don't you guys find it funny that the non English people are actually discussing the game and England? :D
      srslfc
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 25,097 posts | 1697 
      Reply #354: Jul 11, 2018 11:05:07 pm
      Don't you guys find it funny that the non English people are actually discussing the game and England? :D

It is.

I think it's because of Southgate and this squad are a lot more likeable than previous England squads.

I've also missed a lot of the news coverage so haven't been exposed too much to the 'it's coming home' nonsense.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,539 posts | 2549 
      Reply #355: Jul 11, 2018 11:08:16 pm
      Yea, Southgate the man has grown on me and he is a credit to himself.

It'll make it even more sad when the tabloids inevitably turn on him at some point.

As a coach I think he is decent, nothing more, but hopefully he can use this and develop more for.

I say hopefully which is weird as I couldn't care less to be honest. ;D

He has a lot of learning to do imo and as long as he can carry on learning as he has from the best coaches in the PL like Klopp and Guardiola you never know.

I mean Greece shithoused it to a Euro final.

Which interestingly makes me think would England have been the worst team to ever have won a WC if the miracle had happened.

Got to say yes!

Ribapuru

• 9,758 posts | 1068 
      Reply #356: Jul 11, 2018 11:19:18 pm
      Lets not get carried away with this England team.
      None of them are world class.
      Wales got far in the last Euro, but that was a fluke.
      I can't say this is much more than a fluke either.
      I have probably been England's biggest fan on the forum.
      We've never been able to win against any side that has a real chance of winning.
      Ribapuru

• 9,758 posts | 1068 
      Reply #357: Jul 11, 2018 11:20:46 pm
      It is.

I think it's because of Southgate and this squad are a lot more likeable than previous England squads.

I've also missed a lot of the news coverage so haven't been exposed too much to the 'it's coming home' nonsense.
      Because we know we are limited and punching above our weight. Everyone likes an underdog.
      Ribapuru

• 9,758 posts | 1068 
      Reply #358: Jul 11, 2018 11:33:42 pm
      Congratulations Dadorius. I know that guy is from Croatia. Good luck against France!  :ernaehrung004:
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,539 posts | 2549 
      Reply #359: Jul 11, 2018 11:35:01 pm

Quick Reply