Trending Topics

Next match: Cardiff v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Cardiff City Stadium

Today is the 20th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W17 D7 L7

2018 World Cup: Semi Finals

Read 4733 times
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,502 posts | 4895 
      • YNWA
      Re: World Cup: Semi Finals
      Reply #350: Jul 11, 2018 10:57:00 pm
      I think he has shown that he hasn't enough flexibility.

It was 3 5 2 or nothing.

Coming up against sides like Croatia with this England squad needs a bit more thought about how to change the game.

Slavan Bilic was spot on after the game when he talked about how this was the first time Croatia came up against 3 at the back and it took them 45 mind to work it out but after half time they had it sussed.

I agree. The saying 'we had no plan b' is a cliche amongst football fans to excuse the fact that their players had an off day for whatever reason but for England it was probably true tonight because from the start it was clear they weren't going to have an off day and they were excellent for much of that first 45 minutes. But as you say, come the second half Croatia had sussed it.

I remember watching England play Scotland in the qualifiers amongst other matches they were involved in in that group and they were very underwhelming. But Southgate was proactive enough in recent months to revert to that back three which has made them look a much more solid unit if still unspectacular. It'll be interesting to see in the next few months and ahead of the Euro 2020 qualifiers whether a new shape or two will emerge to offer something of a plan b.

Overall though, I've been impressed by the way he has conducted himself at this World Cup, to the media, to the fans, to opposition teams. I moved down to London recently and, even if I'm not English myself, the atmosphere and general humour amongst the English was infectious and I think Southgate's gentlemanly conduct and very inclusive manner is something that has set a really great example to many fans much needed after many of them disgraced themselves 2 years ago when they travelled around France taunting about Brexit and getting into scraps. Given that England disgraced themselves on the field as well with a rank rotten manager who lacked any sense of self awareness and arrogant delusional beliefs regarding his own abilities, England have actually come a long long way. Comic and hilarious but I suppose such hilarity had to end sometime and it's somewhat surprising that Southgate was the man to end the joke.

The issue for them now is how do they continue to keep fans interested beyond this and into the Euros and the next World Cup? I think Southgate will do everything he can to do just that, and I'm sure he'll be as proactive as ever but history shows that the FA will probably find a way of squandering all that hope, passion and commitment...as well as the prospects of all those talented English youngsters in their ranks.
      Ribapuru
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,740 posts | 1345 
      Reply #351: Jul 11, 2018 10:57:15 pm
      On the plus side, no more f**king it's coming home.
      Couldn't stand that song.
      srslfc
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 25,632 posts | 1996 
      Reply #352: Jul 11, 2018 11:00:48 pm
      I agree. The saying 'we had no plan b' is a cliche amongst football fans to excuse the fact that their players had an off day for whatever reason but for England it was probably true tonight because from the start it was clear they weren't going to have an off day and they were excellent for much of that first 45 minutes. But as you say, come the second half Croatia had sussed it.

I remember watching England play Scotland in the qualifiers amongst other matches they were involved in in that group and they were very underwhelming. But Southgate was proactive enough in recent months to revert to that back three which has made them look a much more solid unit if still unspectacular. It'll be interesting to see in the next few months and ahead of the Euro 2020 qualifiers whether a new shape or two will emerge to offer something of a plan b.

Overall though, I've been impressed by the way he has conducted himself at this World Cup, to the media, to the fans, to opposition teams. I moved down to London recently and, even if I'm not English myself, the atmosphere and general humour amongst the English was infectious and I think Southgate's gentlemanly conduct and very inclusive manner is something that has set a really great example to many fans much needed after many of them disgraced themselves 2 years ago when they travelled around France taunting about Brexit and getting into scraps. Given that England disgraced themselves on the field as well with a rank rotten manager who lacked any sense of self awareness and arrogant delusional beliefs regarding his own abilities, England have actually come a long long way. And it's the first time in my lifetime I can properly recall pride and passion towards the England football team. The issue for them now is how do they continue to keep fans interested beyond this and into the Euros and the next World Cup? I think Southgate will do everything he can to do just that, and I'm sure he'll be as proactive as ever but history shows that the FA will probably find a way of squandering all that hope, passion and commitment...as well as the prospects of all those talented English youngsters in their ranks.

Yea, Southgate the man has grown on me and he is a credit to himself.

It'll make it even more sad when the tabloids inevitably turn on him at some point.

As a coach I think he is decent, nothing more, but hopefully he can use this and develop more for.

I say hopefully which is weird as I couldn't care less to be honest. ;D
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,642 posts | 1766 
      Reply #353: Jul 11, 2018 11:02:43 pm
      Don't you guys find it funny that the non English people are actually discussing the game and England? :D
      srslfc
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 25,632 posts | 1996 
      Reply #354: Jul 11, 2018 11:05:07 pm
      Don't you guys find it funny that the non English people are actually discussing the game and England? :D

It is.

I think it's because of Southgate and this squad are a lot more likeable than previous England squads.

I've also missed a lot of the news coverage so haven't been exposed too much to the 'it's coming home' nonsense.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,314 posts | 2929 
      Reply #355: Jul 11, 2018 11:08:16 pm
      Yea, Southgate the man has grown on me and he is a credit to himself.

It'll make it even more sad when the tabloids inevitably turn on him at some point.

As a coach I think he is decent, nothing more, but hopefully he can use this and develop more for.

I say hopefully which is weird as I couldn't care less to be honest. ;D

He has a lot of learning to do imo and as long as he can carry on learning as he has from the best coaches in the PL like Klopp and Guardiola you never know.

I mean Greece shithoused it to a Euro final.

Which interestingly makes me think would England have been the worst team to ever have won a WC if the miracle had happened.

Got to say yes!

Ribapuru
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,740 posts | 1345 
      Reply #356: Jul 11, 2018 11:19:18 pm
      Lets not get carried away with this England team.
      None of them are world class.
      Wales got far in the last Euro, but that was a fluke.
      I can't say this is much more than a fluke either.
      I have probably been England's biggest fan on the forum.
      We've never been able to win against any side that has a real chance of winning.
      Ribapuru
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,740 posts | 1345 
      Reply #357: Jul 11, 2018 11:20:46 pm
      It is.

I think it's because of Southgate and this squad are a lot more likeable than previous England squads.

I've also missed a lot of the news coverage so haven't been exposed too much to the 'it's coming home' nonsense.
      Because we know we are limited and punching above our weight. Everyone likes an underdog.
      Ribapuru
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,740 posts | 1345 
      Reply #358: Jul 11, 2018 11:33:42 pm
      Congratulations Dadorius. I know that guy is from Croatia. Good luck against France!  :ernaehrung004:
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,314 posts | 2929 
      Reply #359: Jul 11, 2018 11:35:01 pm
      PurpleMonkey

• 9,642 posts | 1766 
      Reply #360: Jul 11, 2018 11:35:02 pm
      Congratulations Dadorius. I know that guy is from Croatia. Good luck against France!  :ernaehrung004:

Would add Red8 to that too. Congrats and hope you guys win it!
      Diego LFC
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,713 posts | 2311 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #361: Jul 11, 2018 11:37:52 pm

True! Congrats Dadorious and enjoy it.

I visited Croatia last year and loved it, what a beautiful country!
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,731 posts | 925 
      Reply #362: Jul 12, 2018 12:25:25 am
      You're heading home, you're heading home...

In all seriousness didn't bother me who got through tonight, but preferred Croatia so good on them. Hope they can complete the fairytale against the French!
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,537 posts | 192 
      Reply #363: Jul 12, 2018 02:47:41 am
      England did well. Like Brazil and France they went with functional work rate midfielders  in an effort to counter the creative midfields of the waning lights of Spain and Germany. Its probably easier tactically for England to do this and they did it well. They could have gone all the way but you always felt they would struggle to chase a game against a good team. If they played in the final against France and France scored first the remaining minutes would be painful. If Southgate stays on he needs to give them more potency.

C'mon Croatia, I don't think France have been good to watch and I think that is important. Especially with the players they have.
      Jimsouse67
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,144 posts | 445 
      Reply #364: Jul 12, 2018 07:46:31 am
      Certainly hope the outcome is a better one for dejan,he would be only the second player to win one whilst playing for the reds behind sir roger.
      I'll certainly be rooting for him come Sunday.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,314 posts | 2929 
      Reply #365: Jul 12, 2018 07:58:25 am
      Can't see past France now.

Deschamps will bore the team to a win, so much talent but such a negative coach.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,164 posts | 3228 
      • @MrPrice1979
      Reply #366: Jul 12, 2018 08:29:29 am
      You're heading home, you're heading home...

In all seriousness didn't bother me who got through tonight, but preferred Croatia so good on them. Hope they can complete the fairytale against the French!

You're Australian, right?
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,164 posts | 3228 
      • @MrPrice1979
      Reply #367: Jul 12, 2018 08:30:38 am

Yeah, it's Everton like behaviour.
      Scottbot

• 7,426 posts | 1177 
      Reply #368: Jul 12, 2018 08:45:57 am
      FairPlay to Southgate, he has done an excellent job with a very limited England team, made them solid, got them playing through the he 3rds (at least until last night) and took them as far as they were capable of going in truth.

What has always puzzled me about England and English football is why don't we produce players like Scholes more often? He really shouldn't be a generational player but he is. We simply don't produce those players who can either be the metronome/conductor of a team i.e. Modric, Prilo, Alonso or a string pulling number 10 i.e. Silva, Coutinho, Fabregas, Erickson, Banega etc. It's always a foreign player who fill those roles for our top EPL teams and whilst England produce some good players They are not the same without the aforementioned players who usually make things tick or can unlock packed defences. It must be deep rooted in the way we coach players in Academies and the also the amateur game. These types of players are ten a penny in foreign leagues so why can't the home grown players turn out the same?
      PGlynn91
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 4,454 posts | 241 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #369: Jul 12, 2018 08:49:58 am
      Really think England fans need to understand that they had a very easy group and came 2nd which was the absolute bare minimum possible.

They beat a Columbian team missing their best player on penalties.

They beat a Swedish side with Seb Larsson centre midfield and who's team wouldnt get one player into the English one.

They then lost to Croatia who had just played two 120min games.

So basically they played three decent sides and were not capable of winning any of those.
      Scottbot

• 7,426 posts | 1177 
      Reply #370: Jul 12, 2018 08:52:07 am
      As well as the team played up to this point I thought Croatia well and truly Sussed Southgates 3-5-2 formation in the 2nd half. They simply made the pitch wider, overloaded the wings, looked to create 2 on 1s which forced Alli and Lingard out wide (both were dead in their feet by 60 minutes). It was crying out for a change in system and a revert to a back 4 but I think Southgate had nailed his colours to the mast by this point.

It's funny because I was utterly devastated in 1990 (I had just turned 16), was similarly gutted in 96 and again in 98 but these days it's a bit of dissapointment and then move on to the real footy. But still, England have filled the summer gap and helped ease the pain (slightly) of losing the Champions League final (in that they took my mind off it). Less than a month to go to the new EPL season!!!!!!! A few more signings and we'll be rocking!!
      chats
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,478 posts | 705 
      Reply #371: Jul 12, 2018 08:54:32 am
      Good fun whilst it lasted now back to focusing on the Reds!
      Scottbot

• 7,426 posts | 1177 
      Reply #372: Jul 12, 2018 08:55:13 am
      Really think England fans need to understand that they had a very easy group and came 2nd which was the absolute bare minimum possible.

They beat a Columbian team missing their best player on penalties.

They beat a Swedish side with Seb Larsson centre midfield and who's team wouldnt get one player into the English one.

They then lost to Croatia who had just played two 120min games.

So basically they played three decent sides and were not capable of winning any of those.

Absolutely, the draw opened up like never before. I would give a bit more credit for the Sweden game though. The reason Italy aren't there is because the Swedes put them out in the playoffs. But your right, this is a limited group of players and they got as far as they should got given the teams they played against. I think France would have embarrassed us in the final and suspect they will win very comfortably against a knackered Croatia side. I.m predicting 3-0.
      Jimsouse67
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,144 posts | 445 
      Reply #373: Jul 12, 2018 09:41:58 am
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,315 posts | 545 
      Reply #374: Jul 12, 2018 10:02:04 am
      Well that's it for another 4 years. As England fans what can we take out of this years World Cup? Let's take a look.

Going into the tournament apart from those that wear tinted glasses we really didn't have a chance. As stated before a ball was kicked England are bang average with a sh*te manager with no pedigree either.

So what have England fans and the nation  got out of it? Well let me put my side across. I felt proud to be English again. What Southgate did was bring back some believe into our nation. So many jumped on the bang waggon (( including myself )) with "its coming home" it was great to have that passion in the English team which has been missing for decades.

I'd be more than happy now to give Southgate a chance to carry on. I was a hater but now a supporter of him. He's earned my respect as a fan. I was wrong to judge him based on no experience. Not saying he will win anything but gets my vote to try. Pretty sure he will come out of this World Cup with flying colours.

Yes we had a easy draw. Yes we never came up against anybody till last nite. However, we started to believe it was possible even if it was only from the heart. Southgate and team England have now brought the passion back into the national team. That for me is success in its self.

The match...

F**k me we could of won this in the first half if it wasn't for our missed chances. We played so well in that 45 mins. Honestly thought we had a great chance of reaching the final. However, Croatia woke up in the second half. lovren had what was arguably his best game todate. Tottaly owned sterling  :lmao: (( doesn't play like that for Liverpool ))

Everyone was saying Croatia fitness would weaken in second half. How wrong could they be? It was England who came out exhausted. Left holes in their defence. Not going to point out any individuals as think that would be a little unfair as I think basically they will get a heroes welcome when they come home after Belgium give us a good hiding for 3rd place.  :D

Player of the tournament from the English side for me was Trippier. Other notable mentions, Pickford, Henderson & Maguire.
      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now let the transfer market take off and lets get new blood into our domestic games. BRING BACK THE PREMIER LEAGUE? The best league in the world.  ;D

Quick Reply