Trending Topics

Next match: Man Utd v LFC [Premier League] Sun 20th Oct @ 4:30 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Old Trafford

Today is the 17th of October and on this date LFC's match record is P23 W9 D9 L5

2018 World Cup: Semi Finals

Read 11216 times
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,784 posts | 974 
      Re: World Cup: Semi Finals
      Reply #375: Jul 12, 2018 10:44:41 am

Yes. Your point? :D
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,784 posts | 974 
      Reply #376: Jul 12, 2018 10:46:18 am
      Don't you guys find it funny that the non English people are actually discussing the game and England? :D

Equally as funny to you possibly as I found the three weeks of insufferable "It's coming home" sh*te.

I live in Australia and it was f**king everywhere. God damn f**king colonisers ;)
      mrgowww
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 27 posts |
      Reply #377: Jul 12, 2018 11:30:19 am
      Really think England fans need to understand that they had a very easy group and came 2nd which was the absolute bare minimum possible.

They beat a Columbian team missing their best player on penalties.

They beat a Swedish side with Seb Larsson centre midfield and who's team wouldnt get one player into the English one.

They then lost to Croatia who had just played two 120min games.

So basically they played three decent sides and were not capable of winning any of those.

Based man, sad but true, we must accept it... As sad as it seems to be... Maybe next one we will be better
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,367 posts | 3397 
      • @MrPrice1979
      Reply #378: Jul 12, 2018 11:52:09 am
      Equally as funny to you possibly as I found the three weeks of insufferable "It's coming home" sh*te.

I live in Australia and it was f**king everywhere. God damn f**king colonisers ;)

Stick to cricket and rugby ;)
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 34,868 posts | 4287 
      Reply #379: Jul 12, 2018 12:38:05 pm
      Player of the tournament from the English side for me was Trippier. Other notable mentions, Pickford, Henderson & Maguire.

Yep I'd go along with that.  Thought Kyle Walker was one of the weaker players in the side.  Not sure what I'm missing but I don't think Sterling did much in the whole tournament.

And also not sure that Harry Kane is going to be the worthiest winner ever of the golden boot.  Nobody will ever convince me its a good idea to have your main goalscorer saddled with captaincy.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 18,846 posts | 2428 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #380: Jul 12, 2018 12:44:39 pm
      Really think England fans need to understand that they had a very easy group and came 2nd which was the absolute bare minimum possible.

They beat a Swedish side with Seb Larsson centre midfield and who's team wouldnt get one player into the English one.

So basically they played three decent sides and were not capable of winning any of those.

Exactly. The problem is that fans and journalists are very eager to create narratives to explain stuff, rather than simply accept the role that luck plays in football. So you get a bunch of ridiculous over analysis of England's tactics, as if it was some sort of genius work, instead of a basically conservative setup overly reliant on set pieces. You get Southgate's redemption, you get "streetwise". ZzzZzzZzzZ

I don't think Southgate has overperformed - perhaps only to the extent that winning when you're favourites makes him better than his predecessor who somehow managed to be knocked out of a major tournament by a country with a population of 300k people. But the fact remains England have not beat any of the decent sides they've played against. The ones they did beat were already expected wins. So he pretty much performed to expectations, the difference this time being that England had its easiest draw in living memory and this got them into a semifinal.

There are positives to take for England though. This squad is still really young (funnily their oldest starter was the fella named Young) and this experience will have done them no harm for future competitions. England are much more likely to go into the next Euros thinking they can go one better this time, and are also bound to have a more confident support at home, as opposed to just having players seemingly going out for a holiday with fans at home just waiting to jump on their backs as was the case in the last few tournaments.
      « Last Edit: Jul 12, 2018 12:50:33 pm by Diego LFC »
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,003 posts | 1280 
      Reply #381: Jul 12, 2018 01:46:27 pm
      England did really well considering this is a poor team when all said and done.

Questionable centre halves,  Young as a left wing back.  Only Hendo worthy of the tag of a true centre midfielder in the starting XI, Sterling who would struggle to score without a goalkeeper in net.

Even our manager who in all honesty was in the right place at the right time rather than having a CV that would entitle you too the national job

They surpassed anything the golden generation achieved and were one of the youngest teams in the tournament.

I dont think the future will get much brighter than that for them though. This was more than probably the best chance this group will ever have.

Southgate has to look at the formation and personnel really. 5 at the back meant we had no width in attack, we had no shape to keep the ball and work through the lines, and very few players in the box when we attacked. It was the set plays that kept us in tge tournament. Against Croatia we panicked and booted everything long.

He will have to decide between Lingard and Alli too because there's no way Hendo can play against the likes of Rakitic and Modric going forward. They're luxury players and only one can play with 2 committed CMs.

I worry that their relative success will stop them from solving these issues

The wait will go on for a lot longer yet but  despite their obvious limitations they gave most of the country a good month of boozing.
      « Last Edit: Jul 12, 2018 01:57:09 pm by fields of anny rd »
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,015 posts | 2556 
      Reply #382: Jul 12, 2018 02:58:57 pm
      So we are playing in all white and not all Red in the semi even though Croatia have been designated as the "home" team.

Oh well.

..... well.  It wasn't lucky Red.

When was the last goal from open play ?

Why did Kane die out ...... he was marked out and Sterling self destructed. 
      Where were the other options? What other options ?

Questionable centre halves,  Young as a left wing back.   Sterling who would struggle to score without a goalkeeper in net.

5 at the back meant we had no width in attack, we had no shape to keep the ball and work through the lines, and very few players in the box when we attacked. It was the set plays that kept us in the tournament.

and finally ...

So basically they played three decent sides .....  and were not capable of winning any of those.

« Last Edit: Jul 12, 2018 03:12:34 pm by MIRO »
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,015 posts | 2556 
      Reply #383: Jul 12, 2018 03:06:05 pm
      adammac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,818 posts | 69 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #384: Jul 12, 2018 04:30:23 pm
      he difference this time being that England had its easiest draw in living memory and this got them into a semifinal.

I think Germany 2002 would rival that or in fact be easier when they made it to the finals in 2002 (KSA, Rep of Ireland, Cameroon, Paraguay, USA, South Korea). The way I would look at it at the start of the competition looking at groups and knockout a QF would be seen as a good result and they one upped it by getting to the semi-finals. Yes they had to beat Sweden to get in the semi-finals but nothing they could do about Germany having a poor World Cup (if the brackets went as predicted). There are a lot more positives to come out of this then negatives and I looking forward to see how they go about the 3rd place game Saturday.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1370 
      Reply #385: Jul 12, 2018 05:51:53 pm
      Is there much merit to what England fans are saying about the Turkish ref? Please can I have a non biast and honest opinion.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,686 posts | 1928 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #386: Jul 12, 2018 05:56:11 pm
      Is there much merit to what England fans are saying about the Turkish ref? Please can I have a non biast and honest opinion.

Not really, maybe lovren could have been booked but otherwise he was reasonable
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,181 posts | 3685 
      Reply #387: Jul 12, 2018 05:58:07 pm
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1989 
      Reply #388: Jul 12, 2018 05:59:05 pm

Ask yourself this, did you come in here or anyone else and complain about the Ref during and after the match?
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,557 posts | 643 
      Reply #389: Jul 12, 2018 06:07:55 pm

Can only speak for myself and thought he was ok..
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,367 posts | 3397 
      • @MrPrice1979
      Reply #390: Jul 12, 2018 06:09:36 pm
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,852 posts | 5160 
      • YNWA
      Reply #391: Jul 12, 2018 06:15:49 pm

Brings a tear to the eye doesn't it? Beautiful!

No. One of the best refs in Europe. Maybe the best and he refereed well. I remember he refereed our epic second leg v Dortmund two years ago where he was outstanding.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,181 posts | 3685 
      Reply #392: Jul 12, 2018 06:22:29 pm

Just seen it on my twitter feed, didn't know it was from one of the other games.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,367 posts | 3397 
      • @MrPrice1979
      Reply #393: Jul 12, 2018 07:11:00 pm
      Just seen it on my twitter feed, didn't know it was from one of the other games.

Some pub in Kent I think.

Cracking set of lads.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1989 
      Reply #394: Jul 12, 2018 07:18:55 pm
      Kopite78
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 1973 
      Reply #395: Jul 12, 2018 07:20:31 pm
      Some pub in Kent I think.

Cracking set of lads.

Yep

Load of Kent's the lot of them
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1370 
      Reply #396: Jul 12, 2018 09:41:08 pm
      Cheers for backing up what I thought, I didn't really think would could complain about any of the Croatian goals. Foot to ball. I would be pissed if we scored that and it got ruled out. Walker was just a weak link all tourny. I do think this squad will be better in the future, but we aint winning sh*t in Qatar.
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,933 posts | 1077 
      Reply #397: Jul 13, 2018 07:18:39 am
      True! Congrats Dadorious and enjoy it.

I visited Croatia last year and loved it, what a beautiful country!

Thanks!

Absolutely buzzing it's all too surreal that we're in the final of all finals!
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,557 posts | 643 
      Reply #398: Jul 13, 2018 09:44:09 am
      You from Croatia Dadorious ??
      Red8
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 312 posts | 31 
      Reply #399: Jul 13, 2018 10:30:52 am
      Would add Red8 to that too. Congrats and hope you guys win it!

thank you guys. Still buzzing. I can't believe this is actually happening. However finale turns out, really proud of this squad and are thankful that in my life time I will be witnessing Croatia in final game for the trophy. Unbelievable 

Quick Reply