Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Gini Wijnaldum (Fenerbahce)

Read 24843 times
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Gini Wijnaldum (Fenerbahce)
      Jul 11, 2018 02:30:10 pm
      Unhappy to be down the pecking order for LFC"s midfield.
      Liverpool given the green light for him to move.
      Would be reunited with his former PSV boss, Philip Cocu.

Daily Mirror sourced from

https://www.aspor.com.tr/galeri/fenerbahce/fenerbahceye-georginio-wijnaldumdan-yesil-isik/3
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Re: Gini Wijnaldum (Fenerbahce)
      Reply #1: Jul 11, 2018 02:31:58 pm

https://www.aspor.com.tr/galeri/fenerbahce/fenerbahceye-georginio-wijnaldumdan-yesil-isik/3

I would be absolutely gutted if he leaves. I hope this is not true, but usually, there is no smoke without fire :(
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #2: Jul 11, 2018 02:36:40 pm
      What??!! He’s been heavily involved ever since he joined. A bit of competition comes in and he wants to F**k off? Must be complete bullshit and if it’s not, then Wijnaldum needs to take a good long look at himself
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #3: Jul 11, 2018 02:41:36 pm
      What??!! He’s been heavily involved ever since he joined. A bit of competition comes in and he wants to f**k off? Must be complete bullshit and if it’s not, then Wijnaldum needs to take a good long look at himself

Yeah, I actually would have put him down as 1st choice midfielder in a midfield 3 with Fabinho and Keita. Very shocked at this tbh.
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #4: Jul 11, 2018 02:58:55 pm
      Dont believe this, rather dont want to!  :-\

If we nab Fekir, Jürgen is gonna play a lot of systems that suits each one's personality and also mix-match the group so that they compliment each other effectively.

Losing a 1st team player in the area where we needed to strengthen before this summer? Nah.. cant see this happening.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #5: Jul 11, 2018 03:01:05 pm
      Well competition for places has increased but f he doesn't fancy fighting for his place then he can f off, wrong attitude. I do however think this is complete BS
      Danzel
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,305 posts | 1113 
      Reply #6: Jul 11, 2018 03:18:19 pm
      Has to be complete and utter bullshit because there hasn't really come in more competition.

Fabinho for the #6, basically replacing Can who was ahead of Wijnaldum for that position most of the time anyway. That's competition for Henderson. Status quo.

At the #8's we have Keita, Chamberlain (who is still out injured for 4 months or something?), an aging and injury prone Lallana and Milner who won't be around for much longer and surely isn't ahead of Wijnaldum in the pecking order.

So basically it's Keita, Chamberlain and Wijnaldum long term, three players for two positions. That's the same amount of competition that he faced this season and I think he played the most minutes of all our midfielders? It's perfectly possible he'll play a bit less, but given the amount of games we're likely to play, that's not even a bad thing, keeping him fresh for the big games in which he excels.

Just like PM, I think he'll be instrumental this season playing in a number of roles and positions. Klopp loves him.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #7: Jul 11, 2018 03:45:59 pm

Would be disappointed to see Gini leave.
      We're hardly overloaded with options either, especially given injury concerns/problems last season.
      Keita & Fabinho signed but Can gone & Chamberlain injured. Lallana injury prone.
      No indication that Gini wouldn't get games this season.
      Maybe that changes if Fekir and Shakiri come in but not before then.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #8: Jul 11, 2018 03:53:21 pm
      Rather he stayed, he may be inconsistent but he's still a good option to have. Last thing we want is being short on midfielders again.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #9: Jul 11, 2018 04:40:06 pm
      I can understand Gini Wijnaldum would be anxious.
      Henderson first choice at DM at the moment, Fabinho competing and could even take his place.
      Keita attacking midfielder and Ox as central.

Keita
                               Ox
                Fabinho

Shaqiri, Keita, Ox, Fabinho, Hendo, Milner .. if Fekir comes then Gini could be pushed back a bit.
      Can't see Lallana going back into any of those positions.
      I do think Gini would be jumping the gun a bit to move, because Milner will retire soon.
      There is no guarentee Shaqiri will fit in and there will be times players will be injured.
      It is possible we are looking at adding more into Midfield and it is not in the press yet.
      « Last Edit: Jul 11, 2018 04:47:42 pm by Ribapuru »
      CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #10: Jul 11, 2018 05:04:06 pm
      I like Gini and would be disappointed if he leaves but i understand where he's coming from if he feels playing time will be limited.

Fabinho and Henderson take the #6 spot so Gini would be fighting for the 2 other midfield spots where we have Keita, Milner, Lallana and Ox already here plus the potential addition of a CAM as it appears we are seriously looking at getting one. That'd be 6 players for 2 midfield spots, and i imagine Keita will take one of those spots permanently, so not a lot of playing time available except for rotation or injury fill in. I can see why that would not sit well with Gini, who at 27yo is at or near his peak years and would want to be playing more frequently.

Let's hope he stays because he'd be a fantastic depth / sub option to have.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #11: Jul 11, 2018 06:12:59 pm
      Doubt it.

I don’t rate him as highly as others but we can’t be selling players now. Especially after we finally added some depth in the middle.
      Sir Suarez
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 783 posts | 59 
      Reply #12: Jul 11, 2018 07:50:05 pm
      Can't see him leaving, looks like he loves it here
      GegenPressClub
      • Forum Vladimir Smicer

• 187 posts | 47 
      Reply #13: Jul 11, 2018 08:22:20 pm
      I personally think it's just Turkish journos trying to drum up speculation for players out of the reach of their clubs by linking them to previous coaches.

I do feel like Gini will still want considerable game time to stay. But I believe he still has three years left on his deal, and I'm quite doubtful anyone is paying 25-30 mil for just a solid mid (after many clubs have already splashed some cash). The only likely candidate would be another top club needing some depth, which would put him in no better position than he's already in.
      redkop63
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #14: Jul 30, 2018 01:21:11 am
      Don't think he's a great loss. Average at best. If and whoever comes in who's better than Gini,  i would think he won't get much chance to feature in games, thus he has made the right decision.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #15: Jul 30, 2018 02:33:28 am
      Don't think he's a great loss. Average at best. If and whoever comes in who's better than Gini,  i would think he won't get much chance to feature in games, thus he has made the right decision.

He’s not going anywhere.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #16: Jul 30, 2018 01:38:11 pm
      He’s not going anywhere.

Daft to sell Gini, never gets the credit he deserves for the donkey work he puts in..
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #17: Jul 30, 2018 02:09:33 pm
      gutted if he goes he is another player who is improving under Jürgen's guidance and we are yet to see the best of him.
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #18: Jul 30, 2018 04:44:20 pm
      No way would we sell. We have lost Can and Ox is out for the season. We needed to bring up our midfield numbers, not lessen them!
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #19: Jul 30, 2018 05:07:17 pm
      Yeah, I actually would have put him down as 1st choice midfielder in a midfield 3 with Fabinho and Keita. Very shocked at this tbh.

Nah. Hendo is nailed on IMO. I do want him to stay though with Ox being injured there's no sense in us losing depth.

Hes not a player that excites me but he can do a good job for the team when called upon.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #20: Jul 30, 2018 05:32:23 pm
      Nah. Hendo is nailed on IMO. I do want him to stay though with Ox being injured there's no sense in us losing depth.

Hes not a player that excites me but he can do a good job for the team when called upon.

Henderson as nailed on starter, I certainly hope not for the majority of games, assuming Fabinho plays why on earth would we need 2 DM's?
      Kopite78
      Reply #21: Jul 30, 2018 05:57:17 pm
      Henderson as nailed on starter, I certainly hope not for the majority of games, assuming Fabinho plays why on earth would we need 2 DM's?

Cause Hendo won't play as a dm if Fabinho plays
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #22: Jul 30, 2018 06:06:33 pm

The way I see it, you have to factor in Keita and Fabinho's play style, both like ball to feet, comfortable in tight spaces and like to keep the ball moving. One will be playing as an attacking midfielder, the other a DM, so we can either go for another attacking midfielder/10 (Lallana or Shaqiri) or a box-boxer.

Hendo, Wjinaldum and Milner are more than capable of playing the box-box role, but I favour Wijnaldum because he is a better  footballer and I feel more compatible with Fabinho and Keita than the others.... on paper.

Quick Reply