Trending Topics

Next match: Palace v LFC [Premier League] Mon 20th Aug @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Selhurst Park

Today is the 19th of August and on this date LFC's match record is P11 W5 D1 L5

World Cup Final 2018

Read 1576 times
      Ribapuru
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,558 posts | 777 
      Re: World Cup Final 2018
      Reply #150: Jul 15, 2018 06:25:40 pm
      Losing any final is hard but losing a World Cup Final must be the worst of them all because in their heart of hearts these Croatian players will probably never get to play at this stage ever again.
      I'm not sure they have a competitive team in  the pipeline either.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 18,441 posts | 4206 
      • YNWA
      Reply #151: Jul 15, 2018 06:26:27 pm
      So the 4 player awards delivered to players from each of the 4 semi finalists. Has that ever happened at a World Cup?
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,268 posts | 654 
      • YNWA
      Reply #152: Jul 15, 2018 06:31:41 pm
      Greizsmann knows how to dive, if that were Neymar, he would how rolled off the pitch, laughed at and no foul.
      That's why France are champions and not Brazil.

Neymar was a disgrace at the WC imho, did Brazil a disservice.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,495 posts | 2222 
      Reply #153: Jul 15, 2018 06:34:47 pm
      Congratulations to Deschamps .

Rather have our Jürgen.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,303 posts | 1165 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #154: Jul 15, 2018 06:36:36 pm
      Scenes as fekir does his acl doing a kneeslide
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,268 posts | 654 
      • YNWA
      Reply #155: Jul 15, 2018 07:08:54 pm
      Well, that's that.

Focus now switches fully to prep for 2018/19 season.

Less than a month to first match. Roll on West Ham … :)
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 28,212 posts | 3130 
      Reply #156: Jul 15, 2018 07:24:10 pm
      Lovren wasn't too impressed with the pitch invaders. Looks like one narky tw*t in those pics

https://mobile.twitter.com/aadambirmingham/status/1018545356588683265
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 4,425 posts | 291 
      Reply #157: Jul 15, 2018 11:44:17 pm
      Entertaining final despite some strange refereeing decisions. It's not always the best teams that win finals but in this case when you look at the draw throughout the competition France for me were the best side and fully deserved to be World Champions.
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,483 posts | 182 
      Reply #158: Jul 16, 2018 01:59:12 am
      Croatia played much better football and wanted to make a match out of it. You could say France boxed clever but really thyey benefitted from two bad decisions, which pretty much sealed Croatia's fate. I usually expect more from France as this reminds me of Brazil 94 a bit of the 'magic' died.
      mrgowww
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 29 posts |
      Reply #159: Jul 16, 2018 09:27:40 am
      Lovren wasn't too impressed with the pitch invaders. Looks like one narky tw*t in those pics

https://mobile.twitter.com/aadambirmingham/status/1018545356588683265

There was also a band, pussyriot they are called, a feminist-band-like
      mrgowww
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 29 posts |
      Reply #160: Jul 16, 2018 09:28:45 am
      I also wanted to say that I wanted Croatia to win, I think they played better football, but futball is like this, you win by scoring goals, not by playing better... Well done France...
      mrgowww
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 29 posts |
      Reply #161: Jul 16, 2018 09:31:01 am

At least you could say they get what they deserve in Russia  :lmao: :lmao:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivT-I-yxtdY
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 28,212 posts | 3130 
      Reply #162: Jul 16, 2018 12:22:01 pm

Yeah they're known for protesting in Russia. One got high-fived by M'Bappe before she got dragged off by security.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 28,212 posts | 3130 
      Reply #163: Jul 16, 2018 12:23:38 pm

Proper shithouses those Cossacks.
      Red8
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 284 posts | 22 
      Reply #164: Jul 17, 2018 10:00:00 pm
      It is always sad to lose final when you come so close. But have to admit, France was batter in this game. Did not play more beautiful than Croatia, but was more deadly and also had a bit more luck.

Our guys gave all they got, but unfortunately it was not enough at the end. Absolutely proud of this team and what did they achieve. Half a million people greeted them yesterday in Zagreb and today the receptions are held in there home town. Fully deserved.

Witnessed 3rd place in France now second in Russia, so it has to be first one in my life time still to come  ;D
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,735 posts | 3510 
      Reply #165: Jul 17, 2018 10:49:05 pm
      Element of bad luck for Croatia with France scoring with their first chance.  Didn't feel the penalty was blatant but can see why it was given. 

Ultimately France were by far the best team and despite Croatia and Modric saying that all those extra times in the knockouts wouldn't affect them - it really did. 

Last 30 minutes they ran out of steam.

Definitely one of the better World Cup finals I've ever seen though - there's been some cagey efforts down the years.  No doubt that football has got more attacking over the past 15 years or so, partly due to some of the changes to the laws of the game and they should be welcomed.

I really enjoyed VAR during the tournament.  No team went home because of a bad referee.  In fact what I love about the World Cup is that you often don't even notice the referee's. 

Wait until the first weekend of the Premier League season - I can guarantee some ref will have altered the natural result of the game and all the media will be talking about is why isn't VAR in the Premier League.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan.
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,013 posts | 312 
      Reply #166: Jul 17, 2018 10:59:40 pm
      Quote from vulcan_red
      Croatia played much better football and wanted to make a match out of it. You could say France boxed clever but really they benefitted from two bad decisions, which pretty much sealed Croatia's fate.

Croatia didn't take their chances, France did. Straight after the penalty, they had a free shot 10 yards out. Instead it was mishit and hit Mandzukic. England let them off the hook when on top but France were clinical.

The presentation ceremony after the game got rather farcical. It took way too long and everyone got soaked. As one well known commentator put it, the handover itself was akin to "a barman handing out another bottle to a bunch of revellers". UEFA and FIFA insist pitchside presentations complete with ticker tape are best, but I'm sure there will be complaints from broadcasters and dignatories about how this worked out, so hopefully they'll see sense and move it back to the stands as per recent years.
      Ribapuru

• 8,558 posts | 777 
      Reply #167: Jul 18, 2018 12:01:34 am
      Croatia didn't take their chances, France did. Straight after the penalty, they had a free shot 10 yards out. Instead it was mishit and hit Mandzukic. England let them off the hook when on top but France were clinical.
      Not the way I saw it. Croatia had 7 shots compared to England's 2. So who let who off the hook? I thought Croatia outplayed England in the second half, but the bit of luck Croatia got was a sh*te call from the ref to allow a goal to Croatia that should have been a free kick to England. What is the difference between a high boot goal or hand ball goal? not a lot in my estimation.
      Bad calls aside, England would have won that 1-0 and probably done a better job than Croatia in that final.
      lfc across the water
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,013 posts | 312 
      Reply #168: Jul 18, 2018 07:54:13 am
      It wasn't a crap call, the English didn't even protest it. VAR did nothing either, and they had access to 35 camera angles! So if there was a foul, they would have had it reviewed and ruled out. You call it luck, I call it poor defending.

England won as many games in the World Cup as they lost. France would have had a walkover in the final.
      Ribapuru

• 8,558 posts | 777 
      Reply #169: Jul 18, 2018 10:21:11 am
      It wasn't a crap call, the English didn't even protest it. VAR did nothing either, and they had access to 35 camera angles! So if there was a foul, they would have had it reviewed and ruled out. You call it luck, I call it poor defending.

England won as many games in the World Cup as they lost. France would have had a walkover in the final.
      Give up talking sh*te.
      Firstly, our players did protest.
      Second, out the 3 losses.. other than the loss to Croatia where ref screwed us, only other losses were to Belgium who were the best in the tournament. Both these games had little to play for. Against France England had a chance because two defensive teams. The opener would have likely been a set piece.

If you look at France in the final.. they only got a foot in the game after Griezmann dived and Croatia scored an own goal! then it took a handball penalty to get the lead again. Then France scored against a tired Croatia who were going on the attack looking for an equaliser so spaces at the back. If you look at Lloris flapping, England would have had a chance. If Belgium were in the final.. then no chance.
      « Last Edit: Jul 18, 2018 11:27:38 am by Ribapuru »
      lfc across the water
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,013 posts | 312 
      Reply #170: Jul 20, 2018 07:49:18 am
      This is up there with the Lingard "foul" claim for England v Colombia, that was completely made up, and obviously ignored by the officials on the night.

I agree that that Turkish ref has a record, and he wouldn't be my number 1 choice for reffing big games, but he had VAR to hold his hand. If they say there's nothing wrong with it, then we go with that. He was the same ref for Argentina v Nigeria, took one look at a late VAR penalty claim and rejected it. 5 minutes later, the main player in that incident scored the winner for Argentina, and put them into the next round.

Whenever England faced serious teams at the tournament, they lost. Even the Belgium reserves were too strong for them. There may have been a record amount of set piece goals at the tournament, but there's only so many set pieces a team can score from, before they eventually get found out.

As an aside, international football got a boost in it's popularity from the World Cup. The way it brings people together is unique. But even at the most high profile games, fans can sit in all parts of the stadium. Maybe a different type of fan goes to international games, but it's a refreshing alternative to the tribalism and hostile atmosphere that dominates club football.

There were a lot of complaints that Kiev and Russia should not have hosted the major finals this year, for various reasons. I think most people that went thoroughly enjoyed their experiences, and both places showed that they are just as capable of hosting major football events, as anywhere else.
      heimdall

• 6,422 posts | 1057 
      Reply #171: Jul 20, 2018 08:22:36 am

Big tough cu*ts hitting Women, and yet all the commentators praised Russia for being so friendly, made me sick.

One question just where were all the Russian ultras?? Long holiday in Siberia or even longer dirt nap?
      mrgowww
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 29 posts |
      Reply #172: Jul 25, 2018 09:26:53 am
      Big tough cu*ts hitting Women, and yet all the commentators praised Russia for being so friendly, made me sick.

One question just where were all the Russian ultras?? Long holiday in Siberia or even longer dirt nap?

Yes, probably the ultras where threatened to be killed if they f*cked up in the world cup, because I didn't even noticed any Russian ultra, not even one...
      mrgowww
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 29 posts |
      Reply #173: Jul 25, 2018 09:28:11 am
      Yeah they're known for protesting in Russia. One got high-fived by M'Bappe before she got dragged off by security.

Where did you see it? I could not find any video of M'Bappe highfiving the girls
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 28,212 posts | 3130 
      Reply #174: Jul 26, 2018 10:51:56 pm
      Where did you see it? I could not find any video of M'Bappe highfiving the girls

Twitter and it was only one of the girls who got high-fived by M'Bappe

HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 28,212 posts | 3130 
      Reply #175: Jul 26, 2018 10:53:04 pm
      Yes, probably the ultras where threatened to be killed if they f*cked up in the world cup, because I didn't even noticed any Russian ultra, not even one...

They're all in Syria now!! ;)

Quick Reply