Trending Topics

Next match: Chelsea v LFC [Premier League] Sun 22nd Sep @ 4:30 pm
      Stamford Bridge

Today is the 19th of September and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W10 D6 L8

Xherdan Shaqiri Player Thread

Read 20696 times
      Dadorious and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
      heimdall
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,234 posts | 2010 
      Re: Xherdan Shaqiri Player Thread
      Reply #375: Aug 19, 2019 09:44:36 am
      Or maybe you've had a sense of humour bypass

another zinger, the king of the comebacks! ;-)
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,890 posts | 848 
      Reply #376: Aug 24, 2019 01:34:27 pm
      Funny bit in The Echo today, apparently inspired by fan comments on a video shown online. Shaqiri playing keepy-uppy and based on the skills on display, should be playing in matches.

Of all the things that might influence Jürgen's team selections, I pray pre-training kickarounds are not one of them.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,932 posts | 3834 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #377: Aug 24, 2019 11:51:20 pm
      Done an interview about how a solution needs to be found about his lack of game time.
      Migs started speaking out and we didn’t really see him again, Moreno moaned to the Spanish media and we never saw him again.

If Shaqiri has a problem with his game time then he needs to work even harder, talking to the media about it is going to result in him probably not playing again. Klopp doesn’t tolerate that sh*t.
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,906 posts | 1067 
      Reply #378: Aug 25, 2019 11:03:50 am
      Nothing to see here Klopp in the presser called him, Dejan, and Lallana out saying they’re all in great shape and basically will have to bide their time it’s a long season and Klopp doesn’t like tinkering until team gets rhythm.

All should look at Matip for example wasn’t on the radar at the start of last season and firmly 4th choice got stuck in trained and ended up putting in a MOM performance in Madrid.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,890 posts | 848 
      Reply #379: Aug 26, 2019 02:41:02 am
      Nothing to see here Klopp in the presser called him, Dejan, and Lallana out saying they’re all in great shape and basically will have to bide their time it’s a long season and Klopp doesn’t like tinkering until team gets rhythm.

All should look at Matip for example wasn’t on the radar at the start of last season and firmly 4th choice got stuck in trained and ended up putting in a MOM performance in Madrid.

Backup forward a tough place to be at this club right now. His best use is as a sub over 15-20 minutes when we need a burst of offense. His form wasn't great in the 2nd half of the season although he did have some good moments (like crossing for Gini vs. Barca - even in context of a game where he was mostly poor). Some people myopically calling for him to play but honestly, who would you take out for this? Mane? Salah?

As Dadorius says, Klopp mentioned the League Cup round coming after the international break. He'll get a chance to play, but he's a backup for a reason.
      heimdall
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,234 posts | 2010 
      Reply #380: Aug 26, 2019 03:58:38 pm
      Klopp needs to give all the guys a bit of a run out, in fairness he did for some against Arsenal, but I trust that Klopp is smart enough to be telling them all that they are in his plans. If however we are cruising against Burnley and he once again doesn't give Shaq a run out then you have to start asking some questions.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,793 posts | 1242 
      Reply #381: Sep 05, 2019 08:48:00 am
      Anybody know why he pulled out of the Switzerland squad against Ireland?

Edit: just reading it was to 'work on his club career' so Shaq is really wanting to give his time here a go.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,388 posts | 1803 
      Reply #382: Sep 05, 2019 08:57:32 am
      Anybody know why he pulled out of the Switzerland squad against Ireland?

Edit: just reading it was to 'work on his club career' so Shaq is really wanting to give his time here a go.

That is good he wants to stay here,I think he is a very useful player to have in the squad.And the price we paid for him was a bargain.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,500 posts | 3236 
      Reply #383: Sep 05, 2019 10:39:02 am
      Can see Shaq leaving in Jan if he doesn't get game time. I thought he'd would've left in the summer window, but maybe he thinks he'll see some action. I hope he does, he's clearly got talent.

The manager is unwilling to let him leave and says he has a future with the club, the lad is chomping at the bit to get out there and show what he's made of,  same as mate hope he does get more playing time.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,793 posts | 1242 
      Reply #384: Sep 05, 2019 10:42:59 am
      Lots of trophies to play for including the club world cup in December. Shaq could look back on this season very fondly. The same can apply to the likes of Lovren, Keita, Lallana and like last season Origi.

I'd like to see him get some minutes to keep him feeling part of this team. I think at some points this season  we will need these guys.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,890 posts | 848 
      Reply #385: Sep 05, 2019 08:16:51 pm
      That is good he wants to stay here,I think he is a very useful player to have in the squad.And the price we paid for him was a bargain.

As it turns out, Klopp gave everyone the week off through Friday,  I guess he will be back in training before most, but seems like   getting a game might be a good idea about now.
      heimdall
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,234 posts | 2010 
      Reply #386: Sep 06, 2019 09:32:25 am
      As it turns out, Klopp gave everyone the week off through Friday,  I guess he will be back in training before most, but seems like   getting a game might be a good idea about now.

Yeah Klopp needs to start giving all the squad players some minutes, wouldn't hurt to rotate a little bit more than he does, we really can't risk a burn out to our front three or any other positions. We have a strong squad now so lets start using it.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,890 posts | 848 
      Reply #387: Sep 06, 2019 03:25:25 pm
      Yeah Klopp needs to start giving all the squad players some minutes, wouldn't hurt to rotate a little bit more than he does, we really can't risk a burn out to our front three or any other positions. We have a strong squad now so lets start using it.

To be clear, by "getting a game" I mean for Switzerland. He hasn't played much for us this season and understandably so, but this would have been a chance for him to get meaningful game action in to stay ready for when he's needed by us.

SHAQIRI IS A BACKUP. Klopp can only pick 11 and he is not in that first choice group. He just isn't.

YES, he will start some games this year as the fixture congestion kicks in, but there's no reason to rotate just to try and satisfy everyone in the squad (or a segment of vocal fans). When the starters need a rest he'll get some opportunities, but our first choice XI should be getting at least 3/4 of the starts.

We turn in one of our best all-around performances vs. Burnley and all some people can think about is why Shaqiri doesn't play more. It does my head in.

CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,492 posts | 365 
      Reply #388: Sep 06, 2019 03:32:49 pm

We turn in one of our best all-around performances vs. Burnley and all some people can think about is why Shaqiri doesn't play more. It does my head in.

I think that's because he's a good player but gets such limited playing time. Understanding he's a backup, i still feel he should be getting more minutes late in the game. For example, we were up 3-0 on Arsenal before the 60th minute, and i thought it'd be a good opportunity to give a player like Shaq close to 30 minutes of play and he didn't even get into the game.

His time will come as there are just too many games but his lack of use is a bit puzzling.
      Tayls
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,030 posts | 346 
      Reply #389: Sep 06, 2019 03:42:04 pm
      Paraphrasing Klopp, this time of year is when those not in the first XIs get most frustrated as there's almost a week between most fixtures. I'm sure as October rolls into November and the games start coming thick and fast we'll see the likes of Shaq, Naby and the others pushing for places.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,932 posts | 3834 
      Reply #390: Sep 06, 2019 03:52:55 pm

Really? I thought we were much better against Arsenal than Burnley. We spent the first 20mins of the game vs Burnley booting a long ball up the pitch, wasn’t until around the first or second goal we actually kept the ball down and started playing some decent football.
      skamp
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 490 posts | 149 
      Reply #391: Sep 06, 2019 04:52:12 pm
      Really? I thought we were much better against Arsenal than Burnley. We spent the first 20mins of the game vs Burnley booting a long ball up the pitch, wasn’t until around the first or second goal we actually kept the ball down and started playing some decent football.
      Agreed
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,764 posts | 2402 
      Reply #392: Sep 06, 2019 05:15:27 pm

We booted it behind them for the first 20 to push them back and create space in the midfield for us to play in.

They wanted to play a high line, pack the middle third to deny us space and time.

It was clearly a plan to push them deep, and it worked.
      The ball went long, they tried to play it out and push up, our press didn't allow them to do this, then our midfield controlled the game.
      heimdall
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,234 posts | 2010 
      Reply #393: Sep 06, 2019 08:35:29 pm
      To be clear, by "getting a game" I mean for Switzerland. He hasn't played much for us this season and understandably so, but this would have been a chance for him to get meaningful game action in to stay ready for when he's needed by us.

SHAQIRI IS A BACKUP. Klopp can only pick 11 and he is not in that first choice group. He just isn't.

YES, he will start some games this year as the fixture congestion kicks in, but there's no reason to rotate just to try and satisfy everyone in the squad (or a segment of vocal fans). When the starters need a rest he'll get some opportunities, but our first choice XI should be getting at least 3/4 of the starts.

The reason why Citeh can win so much is in large part because of rotation, we don't rotate enough in my opinion and because of that our fringe players get a bit rusty.
      LFC007
      • Forum Youth Player

• 6 posts |
      Reply #394: Sep 07, 2019 12:17:14 am
      The reason why Citeh can win so much is

...because they generate more high profile chances because the attack more methodically than us. They can do it because they have better players than us (roughly said). Klopp's system uses more randomness (Gegenpressing) which means you can do very good with not so very good players but also you will always depend more on luck than a team like City.

Still I think we have a decent chance to win the title, it will mainly depend how we do against the top 6, especially City. Last Season we just got 1 point, they got 4.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,932 posts | 3834 
      Reply #395: Sep 07, 2019 01:06:34 am
      We booted it behind them for the first 20 to push them back and create space in the midfield for us to play in.

We were booting it long to try and expose the high line and get the front 3 in behind them, had nothing to do with trying to create space in the middle.

It was clearly a plan to push them deep, and it worked.

Why would we be booting it long for this? One of our main strengths is exploiting space so why would we intentionally try and force them to get men behind the ball and sit deep? That leaves less space for us to exploit and tightens things up. Our 2nd goal probably wouldn't have happened if they just sat deep, it happened because they had a high line and were trying to pass it around, but we intercepted it and then exploited the space.

If there is one thing I'm confident about it's that we wouldn't try and force a team to drop deeper to create more space in the midle for our midfield given we focus so heavily on the play down the wings with Robbo and Trent bombing on. The opposition playing a higher line suits us better because we look to get the fullbacks in behind more than we look to be controlling the middle of the park. Largely the middle players aren't creative, they are their breaking the play up and trying to pick out the runs of the fullbacks.

But ultimately it's irrelevant because we got the all important win, I just think we happened to play better against Arsenal than we did Burnley, but then that's often a given because of the way the teams like Burnley set up and largely look to frustrate rather than anything else.
      « Last Edit: Sep 07, 2019 01:19:11 am by 7-King Kenny-7 »
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,764 posts | 2402 
      Reply #396: Sep 07, 2019 01:29:29 pm
      We were booting it long to try and expose the high line and get the front 3 in behind them, had nothing to do with trying to create space in the middle.

Why would we be booting it long for this? One of our main strengths is exploiting space so why would we intentionally try and force them to get men behind the ball and sit deep? That leaves less space for us to exploit and tightens things up. Our 2nd goal probably wouldn't have happened if they just sat deep, it happened because they had a high line and were trying to pass it around, but we intercepted it and then exploited the space.

If there is one thing I'm confident about it's that we wouldn't try and force a team to drop deeper to create more space in the midle for our midfield given we focus so heavily on the play down the wings with Robbo and Trent bombing on. The opposition playing a higher line suits us better because we look to get the fullbacks in behind more than we look to be controlling the middle of the park. Largely the middle players aren't creative, they are their breaking the play up and trying to pick out the runs of the fullbacks.

But ultimately it's irrelevant because we got the all important win, I just think we happened to play better against Arsenal than we did Burnley, but then that's often a given because of the way the teams like Burnley set up and largely look to frustrate rather than anything else.

Klopp knows how to deal with teams that want to press high but aren't used to it, and we play more than one way.
      He's not averse to using the long ball in the first 30 mins, as it also leads to a bit more tiredness in the opposition in the last 5 mins or so.
      It's no accident that we scored so many goals late on last season.
      Part of Klopps tactics include mkinng the opponents chase, react, and be in places they don't want to be.
      Burnley wanted to play a high line, we didn't let them.

Pushing the defense back creates space between the defense and the midfield as they adjust.
      It's not for very long, but we doon't need very long.

Kloop always does this.
      It gifts us the area around the halfway line, allows us to press high, retain possession high and get more bodies in the box, it helps create overloads in the wide area's which means more space in the box.
      He has spoken about doing it.

So I'll stick with what I posted originally, and you can view it your way.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,932 posts | 3834 
      Reply #397: Sep 07, 2019 01:35:21 pm
      Klopp knows how to deal with teams that want to press high but aren't used to it, and we play more than one way.
      He's not averse to using the long ball in the first 30 mins, as it also leads to a bit more tiredness in the opposition in the last 5 mins or so.
      It's no accident that we scored so many goals late on last season.
      Part of Klopps tactics include mkinng the opponents chase, react, and be in places they don't want to be.
      Burnley wanted to play a high line, we didn't let them.

Pushing the defense back creates space between the defense and the midfield as they adjust.
      It's not for very long, but we doon't need very long.

Kloop always does this.
      It gifts us the area around the halfway line, allows us to press high, retain possession high and get more bodies in the box, it helps create overloads in the wide area's which means more space in the box.
      He has spoken about doing it.

So I'll stick with what I posted originally, and you can view it your way.

You make it sound like I’m viewing it as we were sh*t or something. There is no right or wrong way of viewing it and I haven’t said we played badly, just that I think we played better against Arsenal and when we don’t look for the long ball, whether that’s to look to get in behind the defence or push them deep, it doesn’t matter. Simple as that really.

Anyway, it’s all Lallana’s fault Shaq isn’t playing.

Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,764 posts | 2402 
      Reply #398: Sep 07, 2019 01:40:28 pm
      You make it sound like I’m viewing it as we were sh*t or something. There is no right or wrong way of viewing it and I haven’t said we played badly, just that I think we played better against Arsenal, simple as that really.

Anyway, it’s all Lallana’s fault.

I'm just posting what I saw.

I'm explaining my understanding of how we play, based on watching lots of games multiple times, seeing us do this multiple times, and hearing Klopp talk about it, as well as watching this match 3 times.

We don't always go straight for the pretty football.
      A lot of times we work teams first to break them down and tire them out; it's one of the things that creats space.

Arsenl gifted us the wide area's, so of course we were going to take advantage.
      Did you not see Klopp almost immediately change the shape when he saw how Arsenal were set up?
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,932 posts | 3834 
      Reply #399: Yesterday at 12:02:37 am
      So did he miss the recent Internationals to work on his game for us or to get that hair transplant? :laugh:

Quick Reply