Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Xherdan Shaqiri (Liverpool -> Lyon)

Read 95379 times
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Re: Xherdan Shaqiri Player Thread
      Reply #92: Jul 31, 2018 12:40:19 pm
      Another club could have bid 100m but they would still have to accept ours as it met the release clause....

I'm fairly sure release clauses don't work like that, but I'd love to get the opinion of someone else. If they really do work like that that they HAVE to sell to the first bidder and no other bidders are allowed then they are a complete bullshit thing for any club to agree to, you are basically capping the value of your asset and potentially losing money. Surely any club can bid against another club for a player and the higher bid will normally win, the release clause being met merely opens negotiations.
      Sir Suarez
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 783 posts | 59 
      Reply #93: Jul 31, 2018 12:42:44 pm
      It's not to the first bidder, they have to accept the bid by anyone who offers the release clause amount
      Kopite78
      Reply #94: Jul 31, 2018 01:02:15 pm
      No it doesn't work like that. If only one club bid £13m then yes they would have to sell at that amount, as per the release clause, but if another club then bids £15m the selling club will of course go for that, then the original club comes back in with a higher offer etc etc.

As long as the clause is met then the club can speak to the player

Two things

As SS said even if another club offered more then the player could still talk to us as it's written in his contract that if a club triggers the clause he can

Also why would the other club offer more because they know the first point.. they couldn't bully the other club out of it as the player has that price written in his contract for that exact reason

It would simply come down to who the players wanted

Now what you don't know is that there may have been 5 clubs who triggered it but the agent said that the player has his heart set on Liverpool
      They then drop away as opposed to having a  headline written that he turned them down for Liverpool etc..

There was talk of other clubs anyway (The Ev, Newcatsle) and a serious bid from Lazio who put an offer to his agent the day before he signed for us which he ultimately turned down

Point being though is that the 13m was there..  and because it was there is no bidding war in terms of price.. the only bidding war is in essence his wages and package

I'm fairly sure release clauses don't work like that, but I'd love to get the opinion of someone else. If they really do work like that that they HAVE to sell to the first bidder and no other bidders are allowed then they are a complete bullshit thing for any club to agree to, you are basically capping the value of your asset and potentially losing money. Surely any club can bid against another club for a player and the higher bid will normally win, the release clause being met merely opens negotiations.

What you're not taking into consideration is that it was a relegation release clause, Stoke probably felt they were an established club and it wouldn't be triggered.
      However they are a smaller club to players like Shaqiri and he may well have insisted on it or he wouldn't sign for them

They probably felt like you he would be worth more than 13m but hey F**k it we won't go down so just let him have it and get him through the door
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #95: Jul 31, 2018 01:37:13 pm
      It seems Shaq spent his entire time at Stoke p*ssing in Charlie Adam's cornflakes... 

Just thought I might throw this in here.

Craig Bellamy

Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #96: Jul 31, 2018 01:52:37 pm
      I think Shaqiri could be a revelation this season for us.

He might very well turn out to be a very good signing for us, but Coutinho's replacement? Haha he's nowhere near that level, people are just getting carried away by smiles and a nice but meaningless goal. I appreciate the pre-season levels of optimism but this is a bit too much. :D
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #97: Jul 31, 2018 02:07:04 pm
      Just thought I might throw this in here.

Craig Bellamy

The iconic players gotta be Carra surely? :lmao:
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #98: Jul 31, 2018 02:09:00 pm
      No it doesn't work like that. If only one club bid £13m then yes they would have to sell at that amount, as per the release clause, but if another club then bids £15m the selling club will of course go for that, then the original club comes back in with a higher offer etc etc.

No. If someone offers the release clause, the club have no choice but to accept it, regardless of what any other team offers. If a team offers more than the release clause then they are stupid, what would be the point, any offer that triggers the release have to be accepted, the only way there can be a bidding war is on the contract for the player.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #99: Jul 31, 2018 02:33:04 pm
      As long as the clause is met then the club can speak to the player

Two things

As SS said even if another club offered more then the player could still talk to us as it's written in his contract that if a club triggers the clause he can

Also why would the other club offer more because they know the first point.. they couldn't bully the other club out of it as the player has that price written in his contract for that exact reason

It would simply come down to who the players wanted

Now what you don't know is that there may have been 5 clubs who triggered it but the agent said that the player has his heart set on Liverpool
      They then drop away as opposed to having a  headline written that he turned them down for Liverpool etc..

There was talk of other clubs anyway (The Ev, Newcatsle) and a serious bid from Lazio who put an offer to his agent the day before he signed for us which he ultimately turned down

Point being though is that the 13m was there..  and because it was there is no bidding war in terms of price.. the only bidding war is in essence his wages and package

What you're not taking into consideration is that it was a relegation release clause, Stoke probably felt they were an established club and it wouldn't be triggered.
      However they are a smaller club to players like Shaqiri and he may well have insisted on it or he wouldn't sign for them

They probably felt like you he would be worth more than 13m but hey f**k it we won't go down so just let him have it and get him through the door

OK interesting, so a release clause is effectively a fixed price then, please tell me none of our players have one.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #100: Jul 31, 2018 02:36:51 pm
      The iconic players gotta be Carra surely? :lmao:

or Stevie, I'd love to know who the others 2 were.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #101: Jul 31, 2018 02:38:19 pm
      No. If someone offers the release clause, the club have no choice but to accept it, regardless of what any other team offers. If a team offers more than the release clause then they are stupid, what would be the point, any offer that triggers the release have to be accepted, the only way there can be a bidding war is on the contract for the player.

OK I have learned something new, thanks. In that case release clauses are F***ing bollocks and I hope our players don't have them unless they are set at silly high levels like Barca do.
      Kopite78
      Reply #102: Jul 31, 2018 02:53:16 pm
      OK interesting, so a release clause is effectively a fixed price then, please tell me none of our players have one.

No they don't

If you believe one of the main issues Can was allowed to leave is because he wanted one in his deal and the club said no
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #103: Jul 31, 2018 03:15:20 pm
      Interesting signing, and a no brainer at the price IMO.

More options off the bench, and a player who has the ability to unlock deep defenses, something we have needed more of.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #104: Aug 04, 2018 09:52:38 am

No Fenway have scrapped them from our  players contracts having been bitten a few times in the past. Apparently some of the reason we couldn't agree term with Can was because he wanted one inserted in his.

Remember Arsenal thinking Suarez had a clause and offering us 1£ over the asking price. Luckily for us he didnt.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #105: Aug 04, 2018 10:59:31 am

Wrong
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #106: Aug 04, 2018 01:37:36 pm

;D which numpty upticked you on this, I already mentioned a few days ago that I got this wrong. dear oh dear some of the sheep on here :-)
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #107: Aug 04, 2018 02:16:37 pm
      ;D which numpty upticked you on this, I already mentioned a few days ago that I got this wrong. dear oh dear some of the sheep on here :-)

Seen it quoted 3 posts before my post.

Nice to see you take being wrong so well. Bahhh.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #108: Aug 04, 2018 02:21:54 pm
      Seen it quoted 3 posts before my post.

Nice to see you take being wrong so well. Bahhh.

I have always held my hands up when I get something wrong, always will. Its rare though ;-)
      Kopite78
      Reply #109: Aug 05, 2018 08:09:52 am
      I have always held my hands up when I get something wrong, always will.

Bloody hell your arms must ache
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #110: Aug 05, 2018 08:41:00 am
      Two 2nd half appearances and he’s scored 1, assisted one and been massively involved in another 2. No signs of poor work rate and showing exactly why it was worth taking the gamble. Can’t believe there was so many people against this move, probably because he was at Stoke, but it’s amazing what can happen when a player with ability is then surrounded in equal and better ability.
      Like Klopp said, no brainer.
      « Last Edit: Aug 05, 2018 08:45:08 am by 7-King Kenny-7 »
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #111: Aug 05, 2018 08:54:26 am
      Bloody hell your arms must ache

;D :-)
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,251 posts | 2854 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #112: Aug 13, 2018 07:34:46 pm
      noggin
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,860 posts | 165 
      Reply #113: Sep 23, 2018 11:30:32 pm
      Excellent performance yesterday, should be a starter Wednesday I would think.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #114: Sep 24, 2018 11:34:03 am
      Not a bad all player is Shaq.

No surprise that he's thriving in a attack minded team.

He looks like a player set free under Klopp.

Quick Reply