Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Xherdan Shaqiri (Liverpool -> Lyon)

Read 95296 times
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Re: Xherdan Shaqiri Player Thread
      Reply #161: Nov 05, 2018 12:06:10 pm
      Bullies 1, Civilized People 0

I understand why Klopp did this, but it doesn't sit right, overall.

I hear ya Rob but for me thereā€™s a time to - as we say in Glasgow - ā€œkeep yer powder dryā€.

Real danger it became a distraction and I think the boss is protecting Shaq as an individual and the rest of the team.

Reckon heā€™ll start vs Fulham though ;)
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #162: Nov 05, 2018 12:12:52 pm
      The fact that the serbs regard the battle of kosovo in 1389 with such significance (which makes the orange order and the battle of the boyne look like it happened yesterday)  and the events of the summer when shaq scored and the whole history of serbia/ kosovo means unfortunately this is probably the best course of action
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,937 posts | 502 
      Reply #163: Nov 05, 2018 12:14:02 pm
      I can understand it, but don't like it. Apart from anything else, we could do with fresh legs for this game. Difficult call for the JĆ¼rgen/the club, but can't really second guess them on this one.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #164: Nov 05, 2018 12:20:11 pm
      Judging the sh*t James McClean went through over the weekend for choosing not to wear the Poppy the Boss is right..
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,564 posts | 766 
      Reply #165: Nov 07, 2018 08:18:50 pm
      exactly what i was thinking. It doesn't feel right to grant them this little victory. As they will pump it. And also doubt Shaq is OK with such a decision (they will label him as a coward for sure).

Dude brought it on himself with his nationalist gesture whilst playing for Switzerland,was a kick in the balls to them as well.Admittedly he probabley didn't think he'd end up at Liverpool when he was doing it,so hopefully lesson learned and he leaves his politics outta his game from now on.
      « Last Edit: Nov 07, 2018 08:42:47 pm by Boston not la »
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,088 posts | 1046 
      Reply #166: Nov 09, 2018 12:02:56 pm
      Ox had a spell of games last year where he was able to show case his talents and get properly intergrated into the side. These next few games are important time for Shaq to really establish himself as a key part in our team and I hope he gets to show case his talents in the MF. We really need someone to step up. With his shot shaping ability from outside the box, his touch and weight on passes, and his skill with the ball, I really see him being an answer to a lot of our problems
      skolRED
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,132 posts | 256 
      Reply #167: Nov 10, 2018 09:59:19 am
      For me, if we need to rest Firmino then I will try playing Shaq in Bobby's position with Naby or Lallana play CAM. Only one question is do Shaq able to press relentlessly like Bobby?  Shaq surely have a lot to offer to the team so better play him as much as possible.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #168: Nov 10, 2018 10:20:31 am
      For me, if we need to rest Firmino then I will try playing Shaq in Bobby's position with Naby or Lallana play CAM. Only one question is do Shaq able to press relentlessly like Bobby?  Shaq surely have a lot to offer to the team so better play him as much as possible.

Play Shaq as a false 9?

Makes no sense he is far better using his pace out wide or from deep.

We should play Stu in Bobby's position and Shaq as part of a 3 man midfield with Keita and one of Fabinho/Hendo/Gini.
      skolRED
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,132 posts | 256 
      Reply #169: Nov 10, 2018 12:34:20 pm
      Play Shaq as a false 9?

We should play Stu in Bobby's position and Shaq as part of a 3 man midfield with Keita and one of Fabinho/Hendo/Gini.

If it's me, I will never play Sturridge altogether with Mane and Salah.
      Without Firmino, IMO Salah and Mane often struggle to play at their top level.  I think Shaq capable to provide them what Bobby does,  whereas Sturridge will never offer that.
      Ofcourse Shaq can slot into Salah or Mane place perfectly if need. But I think the three in center should be Naby/Ox + Fabinho + Gini/Hendo.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #170: Nov 10, 2018 01:01:49 pm
      If it's me, I will never play Sturridge altogether with Mane and Salah.
      Without Firmino, IMO Salah and Mane often struggle to play at their top level.  I think Shaq capable to provide them what Bobby does,  whereas Sturridge will never offer that.
      Ofcourse Shaq can slot into Salah or Mane place perfectly if need. But I think the three in center should be Naby/Ox + Fabinho + Gini/Hendo.

I agree Stu is too slow and selfish to link well with Salah and Mane but they haven't had many opportunities to play together either.

Until Ox is fit again next season I would like to see Shaq play the same role Ox played for us last season as a forward driving midfielder next to Keita playing a box to box role with one of Fab/Gini/Hendo playing the holding midfield role.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #171: Nov 10, 2018 01:55:32 pm
      lets play him and see if he is as good as he thinks he can be. I still have an idea that this lad could be as good as Mo given the chance I may be wrong but I think we need to find out because our front three look slightly out of sorts and need a kick up the back side and make them all fight for their place
      The Real Donavan Ried
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #172: Nov 10, 2018 10:57:19 pm
      Play Shaq as a false 9?

Mate he no long has the legs to play there, it is better you play Salah there and Shaqiri on the Left
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #173: Nov 10, 2018 10:59:55 pm
      lets play him and see if he is as good as he thinks he can be. I still have an idea that this lad could be as good as Mo given the chance I may be wrong but I think we need to find out because our front three look slightly out of sorts and need a kick up the back side and make them all fight for their place

I have been say this forever...Thank you Walt'
      lreland
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,360 posts | 116 
      Reply #174: Nov 10, 2018 11:01:34 pm
      Great player and for cost buy him it was steal lad got power skill he always looking get ball move ouick type player we need break park bus teams at home
      ruthcity

• 6,867 posts | 1465 
      Reply #175: Nov 11, 2018 04:19:05 pm
      He is our killer ball man.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #176: Nov 11, 2018 04:53:47 pm
      Midfield so much more dynamic with him in it. Lovely goal as well.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #177: Nov 12, 2018 04:23:36 am
      He's gonna make it impossible to not start him.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #178: Nov 12, 2018 10:24:23 am
      What a beautiful finish - so composed (imagine Danny Ings or Origi going for that, you know itā€™s going into row Z)
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,088 posts | 1046 
      Reply #179: Nov 12, 2018 11:44:23 am
      I loved the Andy Robertson signing last year and this was my favorite this offseason. If I tell u boys there are blue berries in your back yard itā€™s best you just go get a bucket.

(Dig deep in the post if ya donā€™t believe me ;))
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #180: Nov 12, 2018 12:25:54 pm
      What positions is he playing..#10?
      German_Panzer
      • Forum Phil Thompson

• 488 posts | 60 
      Reply #181: Nov 12, 2018 01:01:50 pm
      I don't understand why Klopp doesn't give Shaq a playmaker role in the central midfield, kind of what Gini usually does. In that role we could even more benefit from his technique and skills, Gini just manages the game, Shaq could get it going. Instead Shaq is only used as a disguised striker on the right side. He's basically striker No. 4, behind the big 3 and in front of Sturridge. That seems to be a waste of talent.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #182: Nov 12, 2018 01:04:27 pm
      What positions is he playing..#10?

Firmino is playing the 10 I reckon. Shaqiri more to the right, with TAA giving the width.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #183: Nov 12, 2018 01:43:01 pm
      Firmino is playing the 10 I reckon. Shaqiri more to the right, with TAA giving the width.

Was my thinking too..

Iā€™d like to see Firmino as the 9, Salah & Mane on the wings with Shaw tucked in as the 10..

Salah      Shaqiri       Mane

Bobby

Quick Reply