Read 95383 times
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Re: Xherdan Shaqiri Player Thread
      Reply #253: Mar 17, 2019 09:20:04 pm
      I think he is plan B at the moment! But we do not need it.

Everton? We needed a plan B then. We needed a plan B for more than the last 15mins against the Mancs too.

The fact that Sturridge is playing the odd minute at the end of games and played an hour vs the Mancs and Shaqiri isn’t even getting that isn’t a good sign for him after such a positive start.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #254: Mar 17, 2019 09:48:31 pm
      Everton? We needed a plan B then. We needed a plan B for more than the last 15mins against the Mancs too.

The fact that Sturridge is playing the odd minute at the end of games and played an hour vs the Mancs and Shaqiri isn’t even getting that isn’t a good sign for him after such a positive start.

I don’t think it’s that complicated to be honest.

When he’s played in the midfield he hasn’t been aware enough positionally or sound defensively.

He isn’t gonna play through the middle up top so he’s basically vying with Mo and Sadio at this point......

Divock finding a wee bit of form has also not helped him as a sub.

To me it’s that straightforward but as one of the lads says - Jürgen sees him day in day out and makes the calls. The rest of us are interpreting / inferring and guessing.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #255: Mar 18, 2019 04:09:51 am
      Still can't believe he didn't get any game time against his former Club Munich.

Thought as well, he should have got some minutes last night, come on and replaced Mo who I thought was starting to become a bit selfish in getting that 50th goal.

I hope he stays with us and starts to get a few minutes again.

Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #256: Mar 18, 2019 12:26:51 pm
      What doesn’t make sense to me is having him on the bench if he’s not fit enough or has attitude problems or anything else.. put a youngster on there instead if you have no intention of giving the geezer minutes.

The thing is, it could be any one of dozens of reasons, including that some are a better option at the moment.

Just because we've got a lot of people on here shouting for him to start, doesn't mean it should happen.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #257: Mar 18, 2019 12:42:39 pm
      To be fair he's been anonymous when he did get game time. I don't think he is consistently good enough.

That being said although he is out of the picture for now it's still early in his Liverpool career. If he can stay focussed and work to improve himself his chance will come.

I also include Keita in this. It will be the work behind the scenes that will be vital for the players who aren't making the field just now.

I'm sure Klopp will have told them what he expects and how they can do it.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #258: Mar 18, 2019 12:42:41 pm
      The thing is, it could be any one of dozens of reasons, including that some are a better option at the moment.

Just because we've got a lot of people on here shouting for him to start, doesn't mean it should happen.

I think the Boss is tweaking Shaq slightly, we have seen it with Fabinho & we will it similar with Keita too..

Shaq still has plenty to provide in the fixtures coming up..
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #259: Mar 18, 2019 12:45:02 pm
      Unless he has bought into Klopp's way of doing things 100% in training and when he plays Klopp will not trust him. He has players he trusts and they have earned his trust and I am not saying Shaq isn't doing all he can but so far he clearly isn't at the front of Klopp's selection plans. Its up to him to work hard and listen and then do it on the pitch when required.
      Just look at how hard Mo and Sadio work without the ball that takes some doing
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #260: Mar 18, 2019 01:18:28 pm
      To be fair he's been anonymous when he did get game time. I don't think he is consistently good enough.

That being said although he is out of the picture for now it's still early in his Liverpool career. If he can stay focussed and work to improve himself his chance will come.

I also include Keita in this. It will be the work behind the scenes that will be vital for the players who aren't making the field just now.

I'm sure Klopp will have told them what he expects and how they can do it.

I think the Boss is tweaking Shaq slightly, we have seen it with Fabinho & we will it similar with Keita too..

Shaq still has plenty to provide in the fixtures coming up..

Unless he has bought into Klopp's way of doing things 100% in training and when he plays Klopp will not trust him. He has players he trusts and they have earned his trust and I am not saying Shaq isn't doing all he can but so far he clearly isn't at the front of Klopp's selection plans. Its up to him to work hard and listen and then do it on the pitch when required.
      Just look at how hard Mo and Sadio work without the ball that takes some doing

I agree with all of these, it could be any one of them, or even something completely different.

Only time will tell.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,660 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #261: Mar 18, 2019 04:17:57 pm
      Klopp said it many times that with Shaqiri, we need to twick the formation and he is not comfortable enough to do it this late in the season.

We will see him some time do not worry!
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #262: Mar 18, 2019 10:19:46 pm
      https://twitter.com/SkySportsNews/status/1107767616209330177?s=20

Pull em out Jürgen, the players that is, not anything else because is just plain creepy and probably illegal
      Del Boca Vista
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,006 posts | 208 
      • do do do
      Reply #263: Mar 18, 2019 10:30:03 pm
      What doesn’t make sense to me is having him on the bench if he’s not fit enough or has attitude problems or anything else.. put a youngster on there instead if you have no intention of giving the geezer minutes.

Salah is one million times better than Shaq, even when out of form
      Shaq is one million times better than "some youngster", even when out of form

i don't know why people spend 20 years on the internet claiming X is weird or Y doesn't make sense, we clearly know nothing about the situation and at the end of the day you put your best team and bench out there always.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #264: Mar 18, 2019 10:48:11 pm
      i don't know why people spend 20 years on the internet claiming X is weird or Y doesn't make sense, we clearly know nothing about the situation and at the end of the day you put your best team and bench out there always.

This might sound like I'm being off so I will say now, I don't mean it to come across that way but it's because people like to discuss and know what is going on with the club. Don't think anyone claims to know exactly what is going on but that's the case with everything, if we aren't allowed to discuss things like this because some people start saying only Klopp knows, Klopp is the one who see's them in training etc, then you may as well not bother discussing pre-match things, transfer related things, injuries or anything else because Klopp is the one who knows all of this stuff where as we don't so what's the point, may as well delete all of our accounts if that's the case.
      But then there will be times when it is common knowledge but maybe the person asking just hasn't seen it yet so maybe that is why they start asking things. For example, I just replied to a post about why Robbo is a doubt to play for Scotland but I could easily have turned around and said "maybe he's injured but only Klopp knows so there's no point talking about it".

We are all on the outside, it's guesswork for us all on the majority of things.
      « Last Edit: Mar 18, 2019 10:53:24 pm by 7-King Kenny-7 »
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,660 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #265: Mar 19, 2019 07:24:20 am
      He's out of the international squad, it think he's isn't 100% fit.
      LMW
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 364 posts | 112 
      Reply #266: Mar 19, 2019 07:36:21 am
      Salah is one million times better than Shaq, even when out of form
      Shaq is one million times better than "some youngster", even when out of form

forum
      noun
      a meeting or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #267: Mar 19, 2019 08:03:45 am

Ditto I totally agree with you.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #268: Mar 19, 2019 12:35:19 pm
      Could explain him being a peripheral figure?

Liverpool midfielder Xherdan Shaqiri has withdrawn from Switzerland's squad because of a groin injury.

Switzerland play the first of their 2020 European Championship qualifiers in Georgia on Saturday, before a home game against Denmark on 26 March.

Shaqiri, 27, has scored six goals for the Premier League leaders this season, but has not started a match since 30 January.

Liverpool's next game is at home against Tottenham on 31 March.

The Reds, aiming to become English champions for the first time since 1990, have a two-point lead over Manchester City, although Pep Guardiola's side have a game in hand.

Liverpool have seven Premier League games remaining in 2018-19 and also face Porto in the quarter-finals of the Champions League.
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,475 posts | 701 
      Reply #269: Mar 19, 2019 12:42:52 pm
      This might sound like I'm being off so I will say now, I don't mean it to come across that way but it's because people like to discuss and know what is going on with the club. Don't think anyone claims to know exactly what is going on but that's the case with everything, if we aren't allowed to discuss things like this because some people start saying only Klopp knows, Klopp is the one who see's them in training etc, then you may as well not bother discussing pre-match things, transfer related things, injuries or anything else because Klopp is the one who knows all of this stuff where as we don't so what's the point, may as well delete all of our accounts if that's the case.
      But then there will be times when it is common knowledge but maybe the person asking just hasn't seen it yet so maybe that is why they start asking things. For example, I just replied to a post about why Robbo is a doubt to play for Scotland but I could easily have turned around and said "maybe he's injured but only Klopp knows so there's no point talking about it".

We are all on the outside, it's guesswork for us all on the majority of things.

nothing wrong with having a discussion, but when it turns into pure misinformation and negativity is when there is a problem. When ppl start talking about how Klopp has it in for him, thinks he's not good enough or he has attitude problems, is poor in training. It just gets weird.
      « Last Edit: Mar 19, 2019 12:52:15 pm by PastorGeek »
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #270: Mar 19, 2019 01:14:47 pm
      nothing wrong with having a discussion, but when it turns into pure misinformation and negativity is when there is a problem. When ppl start talking about how Klopp has it in for him, thinks he's not good enough or he has attitude problems, is poor in training. It just gets weird.

Don’t think that’s been the case at all. It’s ok to praise players like Lallana for getting into the team for their level of training but it’s not ok to wonder if that might be a reason why certain players haven’t been playing as much? Without Klopp saying the reason, all we can do is guess and I think people are entitled to consider a number of potential reasons, especially ones like attitude when that’s been a problem for him in the past.
      LMW
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 364 posts | 112 
      Reply #271: Mar 19, 2019 01:18:17 pm
      Could explain him being a peripheral figure?

Liverpool midfielder Xherdan Shaqiri has withdrawn from Switzerland's squad because of a groin injury.

Switzerland play the first of their 2020 European Championship qualifiers in Georgia on Saturday, before a home game against Denmark on 26 March.

Shaqiri, 27, has scored six goals for the Premier League leaders this season, but has not started a match since 30 January.

Liverpool's next game is at home against Tottenham on 31 March.

The Reds, aiming to become English champions for the first time since 1990, have a two-point lead over Manchester City, although Pep Guardiola's side have a game in hand.

Liverpool have seven Premier League games remaining in 2018-19 and also face Porto in the quarter-finals of the Champions League.

Maybe he's had a slight injury for a while and has been on the bench as a facade? :-\
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #272: Mar 19, 2019 01:25:38 pm
      Maybe he's had a slight injury for a while and has been on the bench as a facade? :-\

He had a previous injury, which was something to do with his abs or ribs I think, now it seems his groin is not quite right.

In an emergency, he could probably manage a run out.
      Players are often carrying knocks, little injuries etc and sit on the bench or play with injury.
      It's best not to put them in, but sometimes, needs must.

If he's carrying an injury and is still on the bench that would indicate to me he's still very much in Klopp's plans.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #273: Mar 19, 2019 01:28:09 pm

I see this sh*t constantly in the match thread; "Klopp has fu**ed up by not playing *whoever*  " and all the rest of the sh*t that goes with these statements.
      The poster gets told that *whoever* is actually injured, and you'd think this would make them think twice, but that's difficult when some don't even think once.
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,475 posts | 701 
      Reply #274: Mar 19, 2019 01:31:38 pm
      Don’t think that’s been the case at all. It’s ok to praise players like Lallana for getting into the team for their level of training but it’s not ok to wonder if that might be a reason why certain players haven’t been playing as much? Without Klopp saying the reason, all we can do is guess and I think people are entitled to consider a number of potential reasons, especially ones like attitude when that’s been a problem for him in the past.

I don't want to quote people. But it has most certainly been happening in match day threads.
      LMW
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 364 posts | 112 
      Reply #275: Mar 19, 2019 01:42:10 pm
      I see this sh*t constantly in the match thread; "Klopp has fu**ed up by not playing *whoever*  " and all the rest of the sh*t that goes with these statements.
      The poster gets told that *whoever* is actually injured, and you'd think this would make them think twice, but that's difficult when some don't even think once.

I don't want to quote people. But it has most certainly been happening in match day threads.

Guys, this is the Shaqiri thread - not the match day thread - many of us have simply been wondering why he hasn't been getting game time and theorising. He's had 200 minutes on the pitch since the start of this year and it has been surprising that he hasn't been getting a sniff when it feels like we have needed a player like him towards the end of some games and brought Sturridge on instead with 30 seconds to go. We aren't omniscient and are having a normal footy discussion.

Quick Reply