Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Xherdan Shaqiri (Liverpool -> Lyon)

Read 95335 times
      macbk
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 750 posts | 64 
      Re: Xherdan Shaqiri Player Thread
      Reply #322: May 30, 2019 04:29:24 pm
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #323: May 30, 2019 08:20:34 pm

Unless there is a 60m+ bid, I wouldn't like to see us sell him. Only 27, in his peak years and still has so much to offer.
      CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #324: May 30, 2019 09:03:30 pm
      Unless he's asking to go so he can get more regular playing time, i don't see why we'd sell him.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #325: May 31, 2019 09:16:47 am
      Unless he's asking to go so he can get more regular playing time, i don't see why we'd sell him.

I agree ,he has been a good squad man this season.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #326: Jun 04, 2019 06:16:30 pm
      Quote from: I want to stay at Liverpool
      I'm at Liverpool FC, the best club in Europe. The manager has many good options and has to decide who can play. I knew before my transfer that the competition here is very tough. I have a long-term contract and I definitely will stay

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11669/11734770/xherdan-shaqiri-i-want-to-stay-at-liverpool

I think we will see more of him next season!
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #327: Jun 04, 2019 06:25:12 pm
      I think we will see more of him next season!

We need him since we are have lots of games next season and we need good players to rotate.
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,088 posts | 1046 
      Reply #328: Jun 04, 2019 06:52:15 pm
      I just made this point in the Fifa Club Cup topic. We need players like this in our squad for rotation. I want a few more players of his caliber signed this summer. We need a deeper squad if we plan on competing for EVERYTHING the way City do. Shaq is perfect to play in lower level league games and Domestic cup games to provide rotation for starting 11 caliber players.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #329: Jun 04, 2019 07:26:42 pm
      GOt to admit to being a big fan of this lad and we all know Jürgen will make him a better player and he already has improved this season. Add to that Ox and Naby fit for next season and then add Brewster and one or two quality signings we are going from strength to strength
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #330: Jun 08, 2019 04:26:34 am
      Why would you want to leave this Club when we are The European Champions and this Team is on the cusp of something truly magical!
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,088 posts | 1046 
      Reply #331: Jul 09, 2019 04:27:01 pm
      Bummer that he starts camp hurt. With the front 3 out for a while this would have been a good time for him to get some run in pre season and get into form. We are going to need him with all the competitions this season.
      Borg
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 317 posts | 80 
      Reply #332: Jul 24, 2019 07:38:14 pm
      Interesting mention in this article regarding Shaqiri

"Several outlets have stated that Liverpool boss Jürgen Klopp is looking to replace Xherdan Shaqiri this summer, and Chiesa has been mentioned as a target."

https://www.teamtalk.com/news/reported-liverpool-target-to-demand-e80m-move-after-meeting-with-club
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,474 posts | 701 
      Reply #333: Jul 24, 2019 08:34:34 pm
      "Several Outlets"
      i wouldn't trust anything that vague
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #334: Aug 15, 2019 11:03:04 am
      Was thinking about Shaq yesterday, I wonder how hes feeling having not been involved in the game in any way when  we did do a bit of tinkering and had 4 subs to use.

I hope he is keeping his head down (or up). Perhaps his chance will come on Saturday. Hes a decent player and he should be fresh which I'm guessing could mean hes used on Saturday. Lallana would fall into this category too.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #335: Aug 15, 2019 11:06:08 am
      Was thinking about Shaq yesterday, I wonder how hes feeling having not been involved in the game in any way when  we did do a bit of tinkering and had 4 subs to use.

I hope he is keeping his head down (or up). Perhaps his chance will come on Saturday. Hes a decent player and he should be fresh which I'm guessing could mean hes used on Saturday. Lallana would fall into this category too.

I agree, I'm baffled why Klopp doesn't play him more when Milner gets so many games despite clearly being quite poor at the moment. I know they play different roles but its still perplexing.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #336: Aug 15, 2019 11:24:30 am
      I agree, I'm baffled why Klopp doesn't play him more when Milner gets so many games despite clearly being quite poor at the moment. I know they play different roles but its still perplexing.

Basically mate I'm worried he will want out and we will agree to sell him 🤣 I cant handle any more players out this season. Need a squad.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #337: Aug 15, 2019 02:36:01 pm
      Basically mate I'm worried he will want out and we will agree to sell him 🤣 I cant handle any more players out this season. Need a squad.

If I was Shaq I'd be asking for a chat with Jürgen and if not happy I'd be wanting to move on. Not sure what the issue is between them but Klopp doesn't trust or like him for some reason. Every time I see Shaq play I think he looks liek a hard worker with good inventiveness and passing, plus a pretty lethal shot.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #338: Aug 15, 2019 02:56:39 pm
      If I was Shaq I'd be asking for a chat with Jürgen and if not happy I'd be wanting to move on. Not sure what the issue is between them but Klopp doesn't trust or like him for some reason. Every time I see Shaq play I think he looks liek a hard worker with good inventiveness and passing, plus a pretty lethal shot.

So on one thread you are going defcon 3 about Lovren and him maybe wanting to move on plus your little rant about players dictating to clubs and here you are on another thread stating another player should go and dictate ?!

At least be consistent in your sh*te

I don't really give a sh*t what he is used to or what he wants. We own his contract and pay his wages so its up to him to work his arse off to try and force his way back into the team or wait until he is needed by the team. Sick to death of players dictating terms to clubs.

So which is it ? Sick to death of player dictating or you think players should be able to knock on the managers door
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #339: Aug 15, 2019 03:09:40 pm
      With Lovren nobody is actually sure who's idea it is. I read a report today that we know Roma need a centre half and we are actively trying to sell him but they are looking at other options.

For the coming season that makes very little sense, - we will be left short. Yet if Roma are desperate and we see this as a last chance to sell for good money then I can see why the money men might not care about the football.

Said elsewhere not sure why Lovren would want to leave when theres every chance he will be involved in big games for us this season. Perhaps it's out of his hands a little.

As for Shaq his situation is a little different. He can get into the team in midfield and the front 3. We made changes to the starting XI and 4 subs in the game and he still couldnt get minutes.

Personally I dont mind, Klopp has options and can choose from them but I do wonder where Shaqiri feels he fits in to the picture having been overlooked.

You would think he would get into the team against Southampton with rotation likely, but if he doesn't then where exactly does he fit in to this team?
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #340: Aug 15, 2019 03:30:30 pm
      So on one thread you are going defcon 3 about Lovren and him maybe wanting to move on plus your little rant about players dictating to clubs and here you are on another thread stating another player should go and dictate ?!

At least be consistent in your sh*te

So which is it ? Sick to death of player dictating or you think players should be able to knock on the managers door

They are perfectly consistent points and are based on what is best for the club. The point about Lovren is that even if he wants to leave then he may well be needed by the team, Shaq is available, fully fit and a good player yet gets no minutes form Klopp who prefers to play a clearly unfit Milner instead. IN that circumstance Shaq is perfectly entitled to ask some question of the manager and then the manager has to either say he does not figure in his plans or he does.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #341: Aug 15, 2019 03:50:51 pm
      If I was Shaqiri then I wouldn’t be happy about having been kept on the bench for the first 2 games of our season. If we are looking to rest or change things with the wide players then surely Shaqiri has to come in? He played very little apart from the Barca game, where he played a big part with an assist. Why we started with Ox in a front 3 makes no sense at all, why not play Shaq? Or at least bring him on at some point over the 120mins?

If Klopp didn’t feel Shaqiri is up to the job of covering one of the front 3 then why did we not sign another player for there instead of playing Ox there who is clearly completely unsuited to the role.

Strange decisions by Klopp last night with the line up.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #342: Aug 15, 2019 04:21:34 pm
      If I was Shaqiri then I wouldn’t be happy about having been kept on the bench for the first 2 games of our season. If we are looking to rest or change things with the wide players then surely Shaqiri has to come in? He played very little apart from the Barca game, where he played a big part with an assist. Why we started with Ox in a front 3 makes no sense at all, why not play Shaq? Or at least bring him on at some point over the 120mins?

If Klopp didn’t feel Shaqiri is up to the job of covering one of the front 3 then why did we not sign another player for there instead of playing Ox there who is clearly completely unsuited to the role.

Strange decisions by Klopp last night with the line up.

Klopp has admitted starting the Ox was a mistake, I really like this with Klopp that he owns up to his mistakes, it takes a man to do that and not pass the buck.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #343: Aug 15, 2019 04:52:24 pm
      Klopp has admitted starting the Ox was a mistake, I really like this with Klopp that he owns up to his mistakes, it takes a man to do that and not pass the buck.

Is that exactly what he was saying, that he shouldn't have started him? I didn't take it quite like that (going by his actual words, not headlines or articles). Maybe, but I'm not sure

EDiT: here is his actual quote:

On what he said to Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain when substituting him at half-time and how vital his replacement, Roberto Firmino, is to Liverpool tactically…

"I didn't say a lot to Ox, I don’t think it was necessary. For Ox it was very important to have these minutes, it’s a position he can play. He can play much better than he did tonight but that’s how it is and after a long injury you have to find back the rhythm. In training it’s already there and now in the game he had good moments but of course not enough for his quality. It was not about that, I knew it was a very, very intense game so it was clear that we have to make that decision because we didn’t want to push him through, we want to give him the opportunity to perform, to shine if you want. In that position and the circumstances it was obviously not as possible as we would have wished, but that’s then my mistake and not his mistake because I made the decision."

Still mulling over what he means by my mistake because at the beginning he said it was very important for him to play last night.
      « Last Edit: Aug 15, 2019 05:01:37 pm by Robby The Z »
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #344: Aug 15, 2019 10:33:37 pm
      Can he play false 9....

Quick Reply