Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Xherdan Shaqiri (Liverpool -> Lyon)

Read 95309 times
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,018 posts | 2741 
      Re: Xherdan Shaqiri Player Thread
      Reply #345: Aug 15, 2019 10:35:54 pm
      Is that exactly what he was saying, that he shouldn't have started him? I didn't take it quite like that (going by his actual words, not headlines or articles). Maybe, but I'm not sure

EDiT: here is his actual quote:

On what he said to Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain when substituting him at half-time and how vital his replacement, Roberto Firmino, is to Liverpool tactically…

"I didn't say a lot to Ox, I don’t think it was necessary. For Ox it was very important to have these minutes, it’s a position he can play. He can play much better than he did tonight but that’s how it is and after a long injury you have to find back the rhythm. In training it’s already there and now in the game he had good moments but of course not enough for his quality. It was not about that, I knew it was a very, very intense game so it was clear that we have to make that decision because we didn’t want to push him through, we want to give him the opportunity to perform, to shine if you want. In that position and the circumstances it was obviously not as possible as we would have wished, but that’s then my mistake and not his mistake because I made the decision."

Still mulling over what he means by my mistake because at the beginning he said it was very important for him to play last night.

I thought the gist of it was he should have played him in the middle rather than out wide.
      Tayls
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #346: Aug 15, 2019 10:40:30 pm
      Reckon that's just Klopp trying to take the blame and take the spotlight off Ox after a fairly poor performance.
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,474 posts | 701 
      Reply #347: Aug 15, 2019 10:50:33 pm
      I think the intensity of the game, plus playing him in the position he played was (in hindsight) a mistake. He would have either played him in a different position or played him in a less intense game in that position.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #348: Aug 16, 2019 08:33:08 am
      Is that exactly what he was saying, that he shouldn't have started him? I didn't take it quite like that (going by his actual words, not headlines or articles). Maybe, but I'm not sure

EDiT: here is his actual quote:

On what he said to Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain when substituting him at half-time and how vital his replacement, Roberto Firmino, is to Liverpool tactically…

"I didn't say a lot to Ox, I don’t think it was necessary. For Ox it was very important to have these minutes, it’s a position he can play. He can play much better than he did tonight but that’s how it is and after a long injury you have to find back the rhythm. In training it’s already there and now in the game he had good moments but of course not enough for his quality. It was not about that, I knew it was a very, very intense game so it was clear that we have to make that decision because we didn’t want to push him through, we want to give him the opportunity to perform, to shine if you want. In that position and the circumstances it was obviously not as possible as we would have wished, but that’s then my mistake and not his mistake because I made the decision."

Still mulling over what he means by my mistake because at the beginning he said it was very important for him to play last night.

https://uk.sports.yahoo.com/news/klopp-admits-oxlade-chamberlain-mistake-013451676.html

about starting Ox as a forward:
      "In that position and the circumstances it was obviously not as possible as we would have wished, but that's then my mistake and not his mistake because I made the decision."

Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #349: Aug 16, 2019 02:41:47 pm
      https://uk.sports.yahoo.com/news/klopp-admits-oxlade-chamberlain-mistake-013451676.html

about starting Ox as a forward:
      "In that position and the circumstances it was obviously not as possible as we would have wished, but that's then my mistake and not his mistake because I made the decision."

Same quote I used. So the "mistake" was using him at forward, not in starting him.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #350: Aug 17, 2019 04:59:37 pm
      Another game with Shaqiri being planted firmly on the bench, even after several players had 100mins+ midweek. Not looking good for him at the moment.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #351: Aug 17, 2019 11:42:24 pm
      Another game with Shaqiri being planted firmly on the bench, even after several players had 100mins+ midweek. Not looking good for him at the moment.

There must be something going on behind the scenes, it's quite weird.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #352: Aug 18, 2019 12:29:35 am

Was thinking the same Mo comes off and Jürgen threw on Origi and switched Mane to the right. Doesn't look good for Shaq. Upset for him as we know his qualities.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #353: Aug 18, 2019 12:38:01 am
      Was thinking the same Mo comes off and Jürgen threw on Origi and switched Mane to the right. Doesn't look good for Shaq. Upset for him as we know his qualities.

I remember last season when we played Saints at home and he scored 2 in the first half and then got hooked at half time. It's a strange one with Shaqiri, he's delivered quite a few goals and assists but he just doesn't get as much game time as his output would suggest he should IMO. Maybe he's struggling with an injury still or maybe he's just not impressing in training, either way hopefully it sorts itself out because he can be a damn good useful player to have. But to not play at all so far this season, even after the exploits of the Super Cup, something doesn't seem right.
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,111 posts | 441 
      Reply #354: Aug 18, 2019 12:54:59 am
      Maybe we might let him go if a good offer comes for him.  It seems the Italians aren't serious about Lovren.  It seems to me that we want to sell a fringe player or two in this transfer market, but for a decent amount of money. 

For me Shakiri is a bit of a luxury player.  I think he needs to be more involved in games. 
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      Reply #355: Aug 18, 2019 01:03:06 am
      I remember last season when we played Saints at home and he scored 2 in the first half and then got hooked at half time. It's a strange one with Shaqiri, he's delivered quite a few goals and assists but he just doesn't get as much game time as his output would suggest he should IMO. Maybe he's struggling with an injury still or maybe he's just not impressing in training, either way hopefully it sorts itself out because he can be a damn good useful player to have. But to not play at all so far this season, even after the exploits of the Super Cup, something doesn't seem right.

Think if I remember correctly Monaco asked about him during the off season, pretty sure it was Monaco.

Maybe Jürgen really wanted him to go but Shaq didn't. That's just an assumption though, because it really is weird not to get any game time so far.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #356: Aug 18, 2019 01:05:49 am
      Think if I remember correctly Monaco asked about him during the off season, pretty sure it was Monaco.

Maybe Jürgen really wanted him to go but Shaq didn't. That's just an assumption though, because it really is weird not to get any game time so far.

Especially when you consider how we sent Wilson out on loan for the season. Surely if we were relying on Shaqiri leaving or even trying to push him in the direction then we'd have kept Wilson to take his place as cover?
      Strange.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      Reply #357: Aug 18, 2019 01:31:35 am
      Especially when you consider how we sent Wilson out on loan for the season. Surely if we were relying on Shaqiri leaving or even trying to push him in the direction then we'd have kept Wilson to take his place as cover?
      Strange.

Yep something not right there bud.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #358: Aug 18, 2019 11:45:22 am
      Maybe we might let him go if a good offer comes for him.  It seems the Italians aren't serious about Lovren.  It seems to me that we want to sell a fringe player or two in this transfer market, but for a decent amount of money. 

For me Shakiri is a bit of a luxury player.  I think he needs to be more involved in games. 

Pretty hard to be involved in games when the manager refuses to play him, I would like to understand Jürgen's thinking with this, if he doesn't rate him at all then why keep him, same question about Lallana who can't get a game at the moment.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #359: Aug 18, 2019 11:57:58 am
      It's a LONG season with MANY games to be played.

Shaq will get his chances.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #360: Aug 18, 2019 02:23:04 pm
      It's a LONG season with MANY games to be played.

Shaq will get his chances.

When? You would have thought that when the all the midfielders are knackered and/or underperforming would be a good time.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #361: Aug 18, 2019 02:42:33 pm

When Klopp decides to play him!!
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #362: Aug 18, 2019 03:10:59 pm
      Pretty hard to be involved in games when the manager refuses to play him, I would like to understand Jürgen's thinking with this, if he doesn't rate him at all then why keep him, same question about Lallana who can't get a game at the moment.

You wouldn’t be able to understand Klopps thinking

But for me it’s clear - he is going with his strongest team at the moment to get them going , to get their fitness up , to get them clicking together

We are only three games into the season - going to be plenty more for players like Shaqiri to be involved in.

Klopp will play Shaqiri when he feels it’s the right time - he has been right so far
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #363: Aug 18, 2019 03:48:54 pm

Oh dear was I bit to subtle for you, I guess we can add logic to the thing you can't quite grasp, to go along with irony and sarcasm.

My point was that if Shaq can't get a game now then I'm not sure when he will
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #364: Aug 18, 2019 03:51:13 pm
      You wouldn’t be able to understand Klopps thinking

But for me it’s clear - he is going with his strongest team at the moment to get them going , to get their fitness up , to get them clicking together

We are only three games into the season - going to be plenty more for players like Shaqiri to be involved in.

Klopp will play Shaqiri when he feels it’s the right time - he has been right so far

You are damned right I wouldn't be able to understand Klopp's thinking if as you suggest he considers it a good idea to let a good player get splinters in his arse whilst other players who are over tired or out of form struggle through games.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #365: Aug 18, 2019 03:57:55 pm
      You are damned right I wouldn't be able to understand Klopp's thinking if as you suggest he considers it a good idea to let a good player get splinters in his arse whilst other players who are over tired or out of form struggle through games.

Klopp - Champions league winning manager , two titles , many other finals

Heimdall - Internet fan who reacts to everything

Who do you think is in a better position for judge when Shaqiri plays. We have had 3 games out of a potential 50 plus for fucks sake , the season has only just got going , win 3 out of 3 and people like you question why the manager doesn’t play someone ?!!!

Nothing changes with you

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #366: Aug 18, 2019 04:28:58 pm

Bet Jürgen is shitting his pants at the thought of being found out...by heimdall.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #367: Aug 18, 2019 05:07:07 pm
      In the end we went full strength so no reason for Shaq to feel bad. Its when we make the changes I worry for him.

Its Klopps call, we have options but my particular point is more about Shaq and how he fits in to the team.

Quick Reply