Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Xherdan Shaqiri (Liverpool -> Lyon)

Read 95317 times
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Re: Xherdan Shaqiri Player Thread
      Reply #391: Sep 06, 2019 05:15:27 pm
      Really? I thought we were much better against Arsenal than Burnley. We spent the first 20mins of the game vs Burnley booting a long ball up the pitch, wasn’t until around the first or second goal we actually kept the ball down and started playing some decent football.

We booted it behind them for the first 20 to push them back and create space in the midfield for us to play in.

They wanted to play a high line, pack the middle third to deny us space and time.

It was clearly a plan to push them deep, and it worked.
      The ball went long, they tried to play it out and push up, our press didn't allow them to do this, then our midfield controlled the game.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #392: Sep 06, 2019 08:35:29 pm
      To be clear, by "getting a game" I mean for Switzerland. He hasn't played much for us this season and understandably so, but this would have been a chance for him to get meaningful game action in to stay ready for when he's needed by us.

SHAQIRI IS A BACKUP. Klopp can only pick 11 and he is not in that first choice group. He just isn't.

YES, he will start some games this year as the fixture congestion kicks in, but there's no reason to rotate just to try and satisfy everyone in the squad (or a segment of vocal fans). When the starters need a rest he'll get some opportunities, but our first choice XI should be getting at least 3/4 of the starts.

We turn in one of our best all-around performances vs. Burnley and all some people can think about is why Shaqiri doesn't play more. It does my head in.

The reason why Citeh can win so much is in large part because of rotation, we don't rotate enough in my opinion and because of that our fringe players get a bit rusty.
      LFC007
      • Forum Ronny Rosenthal

• 102 posts | 17 
      Reply #393: Sep 07, 2019 12:17:14 am
      The reason why Citeh can win so much is

...because they generate more high profile chances because the attack more methodically than us. They can do it because they have better players than us (roughly said). Klopp's system uses more randomness (Gegenpressing) which means you can do very good with not so very good players but also you will always depend more on luck than a team like City.

Still I think we have a decent chance to win the title, it will mainly depend how we do against the top 6, especially City. Last Season we just got 1 point, they got 4.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #394: Sep 07, 2019 01:06:34 am
      We booted it behind them for the first 20 to push them back and create space in the midfield for us to play in.

We were booting it long to try and expose the high line and get the front 3 in behind them, had nothing to do with trying to create space in the middle.

It was clearly a plan to push them deep, and it worked.

Why would we be booting it long for this? One of our main strengths is exploiting space so why would we intentionally try and force them to get men behind the ball and sit deep? That leaves less space for us to exploit and tightens things up. Our 2nd goal probably wouldn't have happened if they just sat deep, it happened because they had a high line and were trying to pass it around, but we intercepted it and then exploited the space.

If there is one thing I'm confident about it's that we wouldn't try and force a team to drop deeper to create more space in the midle for our midfield given we focus so heavily on the play down the wings with Robbo and Trent bombing on. The opposition playing a higher line suits us better because we look to get the fullbacks in behind more than we look to be controlling the middle of the park. Largely the middle players aren't creative, they are their breaking the play up and trying to pick out the runs of the fullbacks.

But ultimately it's irrelevant because we got the all important win, I just think we happened to play better against Arsenal than we did Burnley, but then that's often a given because of the way the teams like Burnley set up and largely look to frustrate rather than anything else.
      « Last Edit: Sep 07, 2019 01:19:11 am by 7-King Kenny-7 »
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #395: Sep 07, 2019 01:29:29 pm
      We were booting it long to try and expose the high line and get the front 3 in behind them, had nothing to do with trying to create space in the middle.

Why would we be booting it long for this? One of our main strengths is exploiting space so why would we intentionally try and force them to get men behind the ball and sit deep? That leaves less space for us to exploit and tightens things up. Our 2nd goal probably wouldn't have happened if they just sat deep, it happened because they had a high line and were trying to pass it around, but we intercepted it and then exploited the space.

If there is one thing I'm confident about it's that we wouldn't try and force a team to drop deeper to create more space in the midle for our midfield given we focus so heavily on the play down the wings with Robbo and Trent bombing on. The opposition playing a higher line suits us better because we look to get the fullbacks in behind more than we look to be controlling the middle of the park. Largely the middle players aren't creative, they are their breaking the play up and trying to pick out the runs of the fullbacks.

But ultimately it's irrelevant because we got the all important win, I just think we happened to play better against Arsenal than we did Burnley, but then that's often a given because of the way the teams like Burnley set up and largely look to frustrate rather than anything else.

Klopp knows how to deal with teams that want to press high but aren't used to it, and we play more than one way.
      He's not averse to using the long ball in the first 30 mins, as it also leads to a bit more tiredness in the opposition in the last 5 mins or so.
      It's no accident that we scored so many goals late on last season.
      Part of Klopps tactics include mkinng the opponents chase, react, and be in places they don't want to be.
      Burnley wanted to play a high line, we didn't let them.

Pushing the defense back creates space between the defense and the midfield as they adjust.
      It's not for very long, but we doon't need very long.

Kloop always does this.
      It gifts us the area around the halfway line, allows us to press high, retain possession high and get more bodies in the box, it helps create overloads in the wide area's which means more space in the box.
      He has spoken about doing it.

So I'll stick with what I posted originally, and you can view it your way.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #396: Sep 07, 2019 01:35:21 pm
      Klopp knows how to deal with teams that want to press high but aren't used to it, and we play more than one way.
      He's not averse to using the long ball in the first 30 mins, as it also leads to a bit more tiredness in the opposition in the last 5 mins or so.
      It's no accident that we scored so many goals late on last season.
      Part of Klopps tactics include mkinng the opponents chase, react, and be in places they don't want to be.
      Burnley wanted to play a high line, we didn't let them.

Pushing the defense back creates space between the defense and the midfield as they adjust.
      It's not for very long, but we doon't need very long.

Kloop always does this.
      It gifts us the area around the halfway line, allows us to press high, retain possession high and get more bodies in the box, it helps create overloads in the wide area's which means more space in the box.
      He has spoken about doing it.

So I'll stick with what I posted originally, and you can view it your way.

You make it sound like I’m viewing it as we were sh*t or something. There is no right or wrong way of viewing it and I haven’t said we played badly, just that I think we played better against Arsenal and when we don’t look for the long ball, whether that’s to look to get in behind the defence or push them deep, it doesn’t matter. Simple as that really.

Anyway, it’s all Lallana’s fault Shaq isn’t playing.

Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #397: Sep 07, 2019 01:40:28 pm
      You make it sound like I’m viewing it as we were sh*t or something. There is no right or wrong way of viewing it and I haven’t said we played badly, just that I think we played better against Arsenal, simple as that really.

Anyway, it’s all Lallana’s fault.

I'm just posting what I saw.

I'm explaining my understanding of how we play, based on watching lots of games multiple times, seeing us do this multiple times, and hearing Klopp talk about it, as well as watching this match 3 times.

We don't always go straight for the pretty football.
      A lot of times we work teams first to break them down and tire them out; it's one of the things that creats space.

Arsenl gifted us the wide area's, so of course we were going to take advantage.
      Did you not see Klopp almost immediately change the shape when he saw how Arsenal were set up?
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #398: Sep 18, 2019 12:02:37 am
      So did he miss the recent Internationals to work on his game for us or to get that hair transplant? :laugh:
      LFC007
      • Forum Ronny Rosenthal

• 102 posts | 17 
      Reply #399: Sep 18, 2019 05:29:14 pm
      So did he miss the recent Internationals to work on his game for us or to get that hair transplant? :laugh:

He learnt this from Klopp. So I give us 2-3 weeks till we are blinded by his new white teeth. :)
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #400: Oct 06, 2019 06:55:23 pm
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #401: Oct 06, 2019 06:58:27 pm
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #402: Oct 23, 2019 02:12:17 pm
      Unfortunately Shaq isn't up to it physically.

Need to sell him in the Summer. We should make a tidy profit to put towards an upgrade.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #403: Oct 23, 2019 02:24:02 pm

Need to sell him in the Summer. We should make a tidy profit to put towards an upgrade.

Him and Lallana are both hugely talented, but apparently have Studge disease, so although I like both players, I agree, but with the condition that we get a young talented player in, and bring him on, along with someone ready for the first team squad.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #404: Oct 23, 2019 04:21:22 pm

Why would we make a tidy profit on it?
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #405: Oct 23, 2019 05:50:38 pm
      Why would we make a tidy profit on it?

Pretty sure he's worth more than £13.5 millioon, but then I don't know what wages he's on, so I'd guess at least £20m to break even.
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #406: Oct 24, 2019 08:21:51 am

Where does this come from?
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #407: Oct 24, 2019 08:34:13 am

Someone's vivid imagination. Should be back soon.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #408: Nov 13, 2019 05:41:00 pm
      The power cube needs to get fit, lots of games coming up.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #409: Nov 14, 2019 12:16:49 am
      Where the F**k is he?
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #410: Nov 14, 2019 04:34:08 pm

Still injured unfortunately. Seems he picked up a bad injury.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #411: Dec 04, 2019 10:08:14 pm
      Been an absolute delight watching Shaq tonight..

His future at the club is not in doubt..
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #412: Dec 04, 2019 10:09:39 pm
      Been an absolute delight watching Shaq tonight..

His future at the club is not in doubt..

Fantastic.

Joy to watch especially in tight spaces tonight.
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #413: Dec 04, 2019 10:21:50 pm
      Was sharp and full of confidence wasn't he?! An unexpected boost as we go into a crazy busy time of the season!

Quick Reply