Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 25th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

Alisson Becker Player Thread (GK)

Read 189860 times
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,970 posts | 3054 
      Re: Alisson Becker Player Thread
      Reply #69: Jul 20, 2018 10:41:34 am
      Boom - statement.

Welcome kid - you’ll do for me.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #70: Jul 20, 2018 10:51:39 am
      Welcome to the family.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44875174

It has stood for 17 long years. But the 53m euros (£32.6m) Juventus paid Parma for Gianluigi Buffon in 2001 is no longer a world record fee for a goalkeeper.

Implicit in the length of time it lasted is the confidence Juventus had in Buffon becoming an all-time great. A once-in-a-lifetime talent. But as the game grew richer and richer, the longevity of the record has been the cause of some surprise.

If anything, it symbolised the enduring undervaluation of the goalkeeping position. Undervalued it is no more.

Liverpool's decision to invest up to 75m euros (£66.8m) in Alisson looks an expensive one, because it goes against the conventional wisdom. This is the kind of money clubs are supposed to invest in goalscorers. Not goalkeepers.

Liverpool sign Alisson for world record fee for keeper

But, judging by Alisson's performances for Roma last season, it seems entirely fair. The Brazil international wasn't just considered the best player in his position in Serie A, but the best in any position, such was his influence on Roma's play and results.

Alisson didn't just stop goals. He set them up. He played defence-splitting passes, inch-perfect long balls, completed more dribbles than a whole host of outfield players, and embarrassed opposition strikers with backheels under pressure and a 'sombrero' against Crotone.

At no point did Alisson's tricks cause a quick intake of breath or create a sense of panic. His actions were not frivolous. They were essential. The right decision under the circumstances.

Watch Alisson perform any of the skills listed above and you will not see a showman with a professional death wish, but a self-assured goalkeeper who has earned the complete trust of his team. "He's the goalkeeper of the future," Roma manager Eusebio di Francesco said. The evolution of the species in his position.

At least that is how Alisson is perceived in Serie A, where he distinguished himself as the most convincing interpreter of the sweeper-keeper role Italy has seen since Manuel Neuer made that style the benchmark by which goalkeepers are now judged.
      Alisson

Alisson rushed off his line and cleared the ball 41 times this season. To put that into perspective, the next best goalkeeper in Italy when it comes to sweeping was Pepe Reina - he managed 20. Alisson proved crucial in enabling Roma to play with an aggressive high line in defence.

For all the attributes that mark Alisson out as a thoroughly modern goalkeeper, it is the old-fashioned stuff that makes him a traditionalist's favourite as well. Tall and broad shouldered, he has an imposing frame and can seem like a magnet for the ball.

Alisson made 109 saves last season and was the only goalkeeper in Serie A with a shots saved percentage of 79% or higher. Limit that to attempts inside the box and his record is the best in Italy over the past five years.

More impressively, Opta's advance metrics show that given the quality of chances Alisson faced, the average goalkeeper would have conceded 36.31 goals. Alisson is no ordinary goalkeeper. He allowed just 28; a difference of eight, the biggest in Serie A.

As Roma and Edin Dzeko did not score as freely as they had done the previous season, his interventions assumed greater significance. Some were jaw-dropping.

Alisson's first Champions League game of the season set the tone for the rest of the campaign. Roma were out-played by Atletico Madrid but held out for a 0-0 draw thanks to a goalkeeper who made nine saves.

In October, he had to tell the pundits in the Sky Italia studio to leave the comparisons with Gordon Banks alone. Adam Masina, now of Watford, thought he had scored for Bologna, just as Pele believed he had netted for Brazil against England at the 1970 World Cup. But Alisson was able to dive and flick the ball up and over, stopping a certain goal.

Roma goalkeeping coach Marco Savorani deserves a great share of the credit in the blossoming of Alisson.

Savorani was also behind Wojciech Szczesny's progression. The former Arsenal goalkeeper came on leaps and bounds under his guidance, so much so that Juventus chose him to be Buffon's successor.

"He makes everything look easy," Savorani has said about Alisson. "He reads the game. He keeps very cool. Over the last 18 months he has refined his technique a lot. He's a champion with a capital C."

A bargain for the 8m euros (£6.7m) Roma paid Brazil's Internacional for him, Alisson will be one of the most profitable deals in the club's history, a parting gift from Walter Sabatini, Monchi's predecessor as sporting director.

Not that Roma fans are overly pleased with the idea of losing another star in the same summer as Radja Nainggolan's departure to Inter. That said, 11 new signings have come in and the bitterness is lessened by the confidence in Monchi and the process he started last year.

Roma did not need the money after a run to the Champions League semi-finals and the sponsorship it attracted, which helped free them from their Financial Fair Play settlement agreement with Uefa.

But when someone is willing to pay 22m euros (£19.6m) more than the existing record for a goalkeeper and can offer a salary outside the limits of your wage structure it is hard to turn them down.

At least this summer Roma benefit from the inflation the Neymar transfer provoked, which contributed to making the sale of Mohamed Salah look cheap when they sold him to Liverpool for £34m in 2017.

Liverpool can be confident Alisson will make as big an impact relative to his position as their last signing from the Eternal City.

A top-class goalkeeper was the missing piece in Jürgen Klopp's Anfield puzzle. But in Alisson, Liverpool look to have found it.

Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #71: Jul 20, 2018 11:00:22 am
      Any good goalkeeper will be 50m+ now, that is because we set the bar.
      If the Courtois fee has not been agreed, I expect that to shoot up.
      Arsenal were lucky to get Leno for 20m as well.
      I heard he is a good keeper.
      Arsenal fans are stupid saying he is better than Becker though.
      FRANS
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 551 posts | 19 
      Reply #72: Jul 20, 2018 11:33:31 am
       Welcome   to LFC    :) :) :)
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #73: Jul 20, 2018 01:23:34 pm
      Any good goalkeeper will be 50m+ now, that is because we set the bar.
      If the Courtois fee has not been agreed, I expect that to shoot up.
      Arsenal were lucky to get Leno for 20m as well.
      I heard he is a good keeper.
      Arsenal fans are stupid saying he is better than Becker though.

Leno completely gifted a goal to some lower league team in a behind closed doors game apparently, as a result Arsenal lost 2-1. Don’t rate him at all, just another Mignolet IMO, they’d have been better off going with Ospina.
      skolRED
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,147 posts | 257 
      Reply #74: Jul 20, 2018 02:13:36 pm
      Welcome to LFC Alisson.
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #75: Jul 20, 2018 03:21:05 pm
      Made up about this transfer. It's been a long time since we've had a world class keeper and teams rarely win the league without one.

Absolutely class, welcome home Allison.
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,610 posts | 2159 
      Reply #76: Jul 20, 2018 03:54:25 pm
      This makes for a nice read, I knew Roma liked to play a high press but didn’t appreciate how quick this guy was getting off his line.

Saves compilation

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rNyr3TZywqw#menu

Sweeper Keeper!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vFpcAdSEUc8#menu

« Last Edit: Jul 20, 2018 04:11:05 pm by Scottbot »
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,495 posts | 4839 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #77: Jul 20, 2018 07:50:04 pm
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,371 posts | 1029 
      Reply #78: Jul 20, 2018 09:22:51 pm
      Seems to speak good English. Can’t be a bad thing for fitting in as quickly as possible.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,182 posts | 4404 
      Reply #79: Jul 20, 2018 09:26:50 pm
      I didn’t realise his middle name is Ramses.

It’s no small wonder he wants to play with the Egyptian King!

CT_LFC

• 6,807 posts | 1402 
      Reply #80: Jul 20, 2018 09:38:07 pm
      This makes for a nice read, I knew Roma liked to play a high press but didn’t appreciate how quick this guy was getting off his line.

Saves compilation

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rNyr3TZywqw#menu

Sweeper Keeper!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vFpcAdSEUc8#menu

Something quite noticeable in those videos is how much he doesn't catch the ball and the amount of rebounds he gives up. At 2:45 of the 1st video (best saves and skills) is probably the worst one.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #81: Jul 20, 2018 11:42:23 pm
      I was reading James Horncastle's BBC Sport article and he noted how much Alisson had improved under the guidance of Roma goalkeeping coach Marco Savorani who similarly did great things to improve Szczesny, now Juve number 1 of course.

I really don't have concerns about Alisson's ability. He clearly is an exceptional talent. But I do seriously wonder and even worry whether Achterberg is the right man to be coaching him. If you want to argue from a pro Achterberg position you could say that all the goalkeeper's he's coached have not been up to par. That the list includes a certain Pepe Reina makes that hard to swallow. But from an anti Achterberg position, and one that is damning on him whichever way you look at it, you have to wonder why the hell did none of our first team keepers improve? It's this thought that makes me think, maybe Mignolet isn't or wasn't as bad as he proved? And yet because Mignolet was so so bad the other side of the brain says 'no - no one could coach that mess of a keeper'.

Maybe Alisson will show Achterberg to be the fine, nothing to worry about coach that he should always have been and that we should always expect of a Liverpool coach. If Alisson comes here and doesn't perform to the levels shown at Roma last season then it's going to be pretty damning to say the least on Achterberg.
      Tommy#Benfica
      • Forum Igor Biscan

• 120 posts | 12 
      Reply #82: Jul 21, 2018 09:52:10 am
      Very expensive but at least now we have a top goalkeeper! Welcome!
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,181 posts | 832 
      Reply #83: Jul 21, 2018 03:10:06 pm
      https://youtu.be/fkMOwZpU3zM

seems like a joker too ;D
      Scottbot

• 9,610 posts | 2159 
      Reply #84: Jul 21, 2018 04:24:47 pm
      Something quite noticeable in those videos is how much he doesn't catch the ball and the amount of rebounds he gives up. At 2:45 of the 1st video (best saves and skills) is probably the worst one.

You don’t see many catches in a compilation of saves. If it’s catchable it usually isn’t the toughest of shots.

As For Alisson it’s been clear your not a fan from the get go. You can continue making a case for Karius whilst the majority are chuffed to have finally brought in a top keeper.
      number7
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 803 posts |
      Reply #85: Jul 21, 2018 04:29:28 pm
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,495 posts | 4839 
      Reply #86: Jul 21, 2018 09:58:51 pm
      You don’t see many catches in a compilation of saves. If it’s catchable it usually isn’t the toughest of shots.

As For Alisson it’s been clear your not a fan from the get go. You can continue making a case for Karius whilst the majority are chuffed to have finally brought in a top keeper.

Yup.

Alisson will make mistakes, all keepers do. But he's not Karius. This signing, in my opinion, is good for Karius, too, right now.

He's made errors but made the costliest of errors on one of the biggest stages in world football. Then he's dropped a clanger in a friendly that has been jumped on. For him, and I'm not just talking on a professional level now but a personal level, also, he needs to be taken out of the limelight. Work his way back mentally and physically on the down low.

In all of this, and I'm not taking any of that: "well he's on so much money a week so he'll be okay" nonsense, you've got to think about his mental health. If we'd gone with him next season, as a Number 1, the pressure on him would have been immense. I've no doubt he'd have made mistakes and been absolutely slaughtered more than he already has. Keeping faith with him as the main GK now wouldn't have been healthy for us, as he's not good enough, or him as it could destroy him mentally aswell as maybe even ruining his career. I'd like him to do well as a number two (or three), regain some competence as a GK and get a move.

I feel for him but this is Liverpool. He's not good enough but I don't think we are even in a position to wash our hands of him just now but with some sentiments, which would be wrong to me, normally, I hope he turns it around.

He's a human and must be in a horrible frame of mind right now.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,620 posts | 3917 
      Reply #87: Jul 21, 2018 10:12:56 pm
      Yup.

Alisson will make mistakes, all keepers do. But he's not Karius. This signing, in my opinion, is good for Karius, too, right now.

He's made errors but made the costliest of errors on one of the biggest stages in world football. Then he's dropped a clanger in a friendly that has been jumped on. For him, and I'm not just talking on a professional level now but a personal level, also, he needs to be taken out of the limelight. Work his way back mentally and physically on the down low.

In all of this, and I'm not taking any of that: "well he's on so much money a week so he'll be okay" nonsense, you've got to think about his mental health. If we'd gone with him next season, as a Number 1, the pressure on him would have been immense. I've no doubt he'd have made mistakes and been absolutely slaughtered more than he already has. Keeping faith with him as the main GK now wouldn't have been healthy for us, as he's not good enough, or him as it could destroy him mentally aswell as maybe even ruining his career. I'd like him to do well as a number two (or three), regain some competence as a GK and get a move.

I feel for him but this is Liverpool. He's not good enough but I don't think we are even in a position to wash our hands of him just now but with some sentiments, which would be wrong to me, normally, I hope he turns it around.

He's a human and must be in a horrible frame of mind right now.

Agreed 100%. Those mistakes he made on the biggest stage in club football will be remembered forever and ever. I’m gutted for him as it must feel horrendous however much money you make.

There is no way what so ever he would be able to handle being number one now, the pressure would be so intense, from all angles: fans, pundits, press, etc. One mistake a bang: he’s gone.

Thank F**k we went all out to get a quality keeper. So happy.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #88: Jul 22, 2018 09:47:22 am
      There is absolutely no way on this planet this signing is good for Karius :lmao: a lovely thought but spend that much money in a keeper and hes playing everything bar the league cup.

Karius is out in the wilderness.
      « Last Edit: Jul 22, 2018 09:55:35 am by fields of anny rd »
      Kopite78
      Reply #89: Jul 22, 2018 10:18:11 am
      There is absolutely no way on this planet this signing is good for Karius :lmao: a lovely thought but spend that much money in a keeper and hes playing everything bar the league cup.

I doubt it.. that goes against everything that Klopp stands for

Alisson is clear number one but no way the manager just dumps and castigates Karius.. not the manager's nature
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,495 posts | 4839 
      Reply #90: Jul 22, 2018 11:16:34 am

Anything that takes Karius out of the headlights at the moment is marvelous for him, whether he thinks it or not.

Talk about missing the point.
      noggin
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,868 posts | 165 
      Reply #91: Jul 22, 2018 11:31:08 am
      Klopp has to play Alisson in practically every game, it's time to be serious about winning everything, another top 4 finish or better plus a cup, I believe we have a team and squad now that can significantly improve on last season.

Quick Reply