Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Alisson Becker Player Thread (GK)

Read 185815 times
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Re: Alisson Becker Player Thread
      Reply #92: Jul 22, 2018 01:16:03 pm
      Klopp has to play Alisson in practically every game, it's time to be serious about winning everything, another top 4 finish or better plus a cup, I believe we have a team and squad now that can significantly improve on last season.

F**k that, we’re going for the treble mate: League, UCL and FA Cup.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #93: Jul 22, 2018 01:32:37 pm
      Anything that takes Karius out of the headlights at the moment is marvelous for him, whether he thinks it or not.

Talk about missing the point.

Let's do talk about missing it...I think FOAR shot right past it and hit a tree.
      noggin
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,860 posts | 165 
      Reply #94: Jul 22, 2018 02:07:55 pm
      F**k that, we’re going for the treble mate: League, UCL and FA Cup.

Absolutely why not, time for the Glory days to return.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #95: Jul 22, 2018 06:22:12 pm
      Anything that takes Karius out of the headlights at the moment is marvelous for him, whether he thinks it or not.

Talk about missing the point.

I get the point I just think its idealist nonsense. He aint getting back into our starting XI now we've just doubled the record for a goalkeeper.

He came here with just Mignolet to displace and barely managed it, if we we don't sell him this Summer, he's doomed to the bench for the rest of his liverpool career.

From his POV if you F**k up you want to get back out there and put it right. He hasn't had that chance. He would want backing from his manager, he's certainly not had that.

It aint good for him, but it's best for us and thats really what matters.
      « Last Edit: Jul 22, 2018 06:26:53 pm by fields of anny rd »
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #96: Jul 23, 2018 08:15:41 am
      I get the point I just think its idealist nonsense. He aint getting back into our starting XI now we've just doubled the record for a goalkeeper.

He came here with just Mignolet to displace and barely managed it, if we we don't sell him this Summer, he's doomed to the bench for the rest of his liverpool career.

From his POV if you f**k up you want to get back out there and put it right. He hasn't had that chance. He would want backing from his manager, he's certainly not had that.

It aint good for him, but it's best for us and thats really what matters.

You can call it idealist nonsense but I prefer to call it being on that fineline between c**t and none c**t.

fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #97: Jul 23, 2018 10:35:04 am
      You can call it idealist nonsense but I prefer to call it being on that fineline between c**t and none c**t.

Well yeah if you want some up votes from lfc reds forum members then this is great news for Karius. A real blessing.

In the real world however Allissons signing has put the final nail in his LFC career coffin.

Not even worth debating it, it's plain obvious.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #98: Jul 23, 2018 11:34:36 am
      Where are you? :D
      Kopite78
      Reply #99: Jul 23, 2018 11:36:00 am

On holiday

Hopefully growing a thicker skin as he'll need it with some of our lot
      clint_call01
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      Reply #100: Jul 23, 2018 12:12:48 pm
      On holiday

Hopefully growing a thicker skin as he'll need it with some of our lot

If he performances, no need to.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #101: Jul 23, 2018 12:18:12 pm

I have a feeling he will make a few key mistakes in his first season, but he has the potential to be as good, if not better than Neuer, De Gea, Oblak etc. We just need to be patient with him.
      clint_call01
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      Reply #102: Jul 23, 2018 12:36:01 pm
      I have a feeling he will make a few key mistakes in his first season, but he has the potential to be as good, if not better than Neuer, De Gea, Oblak etc. We just need to be patient with him.

And I have the opposite feeling. He will instil confidence in our defence and with VVD in front, we will be rock solid.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #103: Jul 23, 2018 12:42:49 pm
      And I have the opposite feeling. He will instil confidence in our defence and with VVD in front, we will be rock solid.

100% agree, and he'd have to go a long way to be worse than Karius and Migs. He'll be given a fair opportunity by all fans and everyone will surely be tolerant to a few teething issues, I know I will.
      Personally I think he will be like a breath of fresh air, finally a competent keeper, it might actually freak us all out a bit!
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #104: Jul 23, 2018 12:48:30 pm
      This was taken from Roma fan on reddit, but I took it from a forum where I copied and pasted as I couldn't find the direct link. Enjoy the read :)

For people wondering what Liverpool're getting[/news

The perfect keeper, in all senses. Pretty much literally. I’d hardly be exaggerating if I said that anything that a human could have stopped last season, he did, while he's great at running out, at passing, and even pulling out random ridiculous skills under pressure on the ball.

Two things I’d comment specifically on: his handling, and his ball-control.

People for some reason have come up with some narrative that he can’t hold shots, that he always parries or spills them. It’s a load of rubbish; in fact it’s one of his strengths: I’ve seem him regularly hold shots that basically no other keeper would hold.

The other thing: the first few times, you’ll get scared when he tries something ridiculous on the ball under pressure from an opposition player: trying to dribble around them, feint, backheel it past them, he does it all. And we've all got in our mind at the moment even more than normal just how badly it can go after that World Cup final. But when you see him do it each time and always, always pull it off, the fear completely disappears. I had complete confidence in him to *never* F**k up, no matter how dodgy the situation looked; and he never did.

The *only* time he didn’t look quite at that level was in the CL matches against Barcelona and against Liverpool. This was where the spilling shots thing came from. I remember it really standing out to me against Barcelona, because I’d never seen Alisson not be effectively perfect. Not that he had a shocker in any of the games, but he looked human there (and only there).For Brazil he’s looked at times like that as well. At the same time, in none of the massive Serie A games did he do anything other than smash it.

So I reckon it does seem like he *could* have a slight problem with getting overawed by truly massive occasions, when the whole footballing world is watching him, but only there. And I would stress that it is just slight.

In sum, people talking about whether he’s overrated are chatting completely out of their arses and I can only conclude they saw at most, I don't know, 10 games of his with Roma last year.

The big question is not his ability, it’s whether last season will be a one off. I don’t think so, considering he was;

A. Brazil’s first keeper and playing so well at Internacional that we spent ~11m on him (maybe today and for most people here that seems like nothing, but for Roma and even more so for Roma 3 yrs ago that was very far from an insignificant fee)

B. great also in the Europa League, when he had a chance to show it, in his first season. When we didn’t buy Szczesny, I was pretty much completely fine with giving Alisson a shot as our first keeper last season because of how he’d played when he did play. And, to be clear, no keeper in the world was benching Szczesny that year.

C. I genuinely can’t remember a keeper ever having a completely world class season all throughout only to prove a one season wonder. I don’t know why, but it doesn’t seem like it happens too much with keepers. Partly, maybe, due to the way keepers are judged compared to outfield players: a striker misses two chances and scores one, and the two misses are basically eliminated in people's memory of how he played; a keeper makes two errors but makes one great save, and no one remembers anything but the mistakes.

My thoughts as a Roma fan

Personally, I’m not happy we’ve sold him for so little. Most people will maybe think that sounds ridiculous, but I really think it. There’s no doubt in my mind that:

A. if it weren’t for Alisson we wouldn’t have finished top 4

B. if it weren’t for Alisson we wouldn’t have got where we did in the Champions League

C. Alisson will be a top 5 keeper in the world for the next decade, there or thereabouts.

Yeah, it’s a record fee for a keeper by some way, and yeah, keepers go for way less, but for me we should only have sold him for a truly ridiculous fee (for any player) in today’s market. Especially since we were selling to a Prem team. If we didn’t sell him this year, we’d be able to get more for him next year; I’m sure of it.

We’ve sold him instead for little more (assuming addons are fulfilled) than the price we paid combined for Patrick Schick and Gregoire Defrel, than we got for Rudiger and Paredes combined last year

I can understand it: we’re Roma, not Real Madrid, Man City, PSG, and besides any of that we can’t compete with Prem wages; anything could have happened if he’d stayed, from him never reaching his form of last year to him suddenly discovering he has a brain injury (as happened with Leandro Castán); it could well be that he *really, really* wanted to go, and so we barely had a choice (though Monchi has said to the contrary); it’s simply Monchi’s way of doing things, and at least if there’s someone you’d trust to unearth some proper gems with €75m., he’d be up there.

Still though, I personally can’t feel too happy about it. It’s not soul-crushing, obviously, (any Roma fan has had time by now to get used to the feeling of selling great players, and he’s not one of those, either, who you feel really, really *bleed* Roma), but I am sad. Now let's see who we get to replace him.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #105: Jul 23, 2018 01:05:34 pm
      The ethics of player thread creation state that you can only start a player thread with some sort of official confirmation - a twitter post should suffice, but not photoshopped images! That's to say I've been *robbed* of a player thread  >:( ;D

As for Alisson... I'm delighted that he's a Liverpool player and excited at seeing the club doing its best to address its needs.

I highlighted him as a personal favourite in a previous thread where we discussed the goalkeeping situation and I don't think there were many better options out there - https://www.lfcreds.com/reds/index.php/topic,50045.msg2111175.html#msg2111175

Hoping he'll be between the sticks for us for many years to come!
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #106: Jul 23, 2018 01:59:47 pm
      The ethics of player thread creation state that you can only start a player thread with some sort of official confirmation - a twitter post should suffice, but not photoshopped images! That's to say I've been *robbed* of a player thread  >:( ;D

what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      Reply #107: Jul 23, 2018 04:57:16 pm
      Well yeah if you want some up votes from lfc reds forum members then this is great news for Karius. A real blessing.

In the real world however Allissons signing has put the final nail in his LFC career coffin.

Not even worth debating it, it's plain obvious.

Mate, saying that he'll be fu**ed off is something I don't believe to be true. Up votes? What you talking about?
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #108: Jul 24, 2018 12:52:06 pm
      Alisson Becker

Goalkeeper Alisson has joined former Roma teammate Mohamed Salah at Liverpool, as Jürgen Klopp’s summer spending at Anfield continues. The current Brazil number one joins his first Premier League club, and only his third ever professional team, for a world-record £66.8m fee for a goalkeeper. His career began back in his native Brazil, with Internacional in Porto Alegre. He progressed through the youth set-up, making his senior debut at 17. After successfully removing legendary Brazilian goalkeeper Dida from the starting XI, Alisson had one sole season as first choice before getting his move to Europe.

That was to the Italian capital, and AS Roma, in July 2016. Alisson made his competitive debut for the club in a 1-1 Champions League draw against FC Porto the following month, but initially struggled to dislodge former Arsenal stopper Wojciech Szczesny as the preferred choice. He was even linked with a move away from the club – including to Liverpool, ironically – but eventually took the jersey from Szczesny, who himself moved to Juventus.

Now 25, Alisson moves to Anfield with only two truly full seasons as an undisputed number-one behind him. He impressed greatly for Roma last season, however, not conceding a home goal in the Champions League until his new club arrived in the semi finals – and that included visits from Chelsea, Atletico Madrid and Barcelona. He played every minute for Brazil at the recent World Cup, keeping Manchester City’s Ederson out of the team and keeping three clean sheets in five games as the Selecao went out to Belgium in the quarter finals.

Tactical analysis
      Most importantly for a goalkeeper, Alisson’s handling and shot-stopping is largely very impressive – and he can adapt to match the tempo and rhythm of a game with regards to defensive contributions. As shown in the Champions League last season, the Brazilian number one can provide consistent high-quality saves, especially when his defence is battling heavy attacking pressure. His performance at home to Atletico (above) in the group stage proved his ability not only to keep clean sheets against top opponents, but also to provide this defensive stability when his back line isn’t at its best. His nine saves in that game secured a 0-0 draw, despite his team being dominated throughout.

In possession, Alisson is bold with the ball, often leaving the safety of the penalty area (below). However, what may appear as cocky or brash is simply confidence on the ball – a comfort matched by his countryman Ederson in Manchester. His flick against Crotone in Serie A last season, dinking the ball over an onrushing forward who looked perplexed as to what had just happened, exemplifies this ability. He always remains in control of the ball, and has the ability to pick out both short and longer passes with accurate detail.

One potential flaw that teams might look to exploit is his positioning and all-round play during defensive set-pieces. During the recent World Cup, two of the three goals Brazil conceded came from corners – and, more specifically, headers within the six-yard box (see below, against Switzerland in the group stage). With less of a reluctance to come off his line and deal with incoming crosses, Alisson could potentially have prevented both – with the opener against Belgium, an own goal by Fernandinho, ultimately costing Brazil a place in the semi finals.

Role at new club
      Once settled into the starting XI at Liverpool, Alisson will no doubt be the number-one choice for the upcoming season – and, for the long-suffering Anfield faithful, hopefully beyond. His ability to hit long accurate passes will certainly be an asset for their speedy front line. He completed more passes than any other goalkeeper in Serie A last season, while his perfect long pass away at Inter in January, which created the game’s opening goal for Stephan El Shaarawy, is a fine example of how he can create danger for opposing defences.

His willingness to consistently come off his line to deal with loose balls is another asset Liverpool have missed during the days of Simon Mignolet and Loris Karius. The ability to sweep up danger behind the defensive line is crucial, particularly as Liverpool will have the majority of possession in most of their Premier League matches. From this, teams will often look to hit early long balls out of pressure zones, to avoid Klopp’s trademark high counter-press. Alisson’s ability to deal with danger in behind will be a crucial asset for Liverpool’s defensive transition – his 41 sweeping attempts was the highest recorded in Serie A last season, a full 21 ahead of Napoli’s Pepe Reina in second.

No doubt the most important motive behind Alisson’s recruitment, however, is the recent track record of mistakes from the Liverpool goalkeeping unit. Both Karius and Mignolet have been given enough chances to cement their spot in Klopp’s starting XI, but both have cost Liverpool too many points from poor displays and individual errors – most notably Karius’ mistakes in the Champions League final against Real Madrid only two months ago.

By contrast, Alisson didn’t make a single mistake that led to a goal against Roma last season. A goalkeeper’s stats can often be skewed by the quality – or lack thereof – in the defence in front of them, but this is impressive nonetheless. Both Klopp and the Liverpool faithful will be hoping that their recent goalkeeping nightmares are now finally behind them.

https://www.coachesvoice.com/premier-league-alisson-becker-Jürgen-klopp-liverpool-salah/

From a coaches' perspective. Good read!
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,695 posts | 837 
      Reply #109: Jul 28, 2018 02:05:06 pm
      There is something that I have been wondering about since we completed the transfer and I wonder if anybody here knows the answer.

Have we initiated the negotiations with Roma earlier this summer and we eventually reached an agreement with them at the time all the reliable sources (Guardian, BBC, etc) were reporting the deal as done or did LFC enter negotiations with Roma a couple of days/hours before the transfer was announced?

I'm asking the question because until recently (around the Fabinho announcement), the general feeling around our transfer business was that things like that took time, a lot of back and forth and then eventually a deal. However, Fabinho, Alisson, Shaqiri and even Fekir to a certain extent felt like deals that were done very quickly.

Yes, for some of these guys we were rumored to like the players in question, but so were other clubs. I feel like the deals were announced either out of the blue (Fabinho) or hours after the first serious reports of negotiations between LFC and the players' clubs.

This is something I like because I feel like the apparent speed and secretness of these deals make it less likely for us to get hijacked by other clubs and also proves that not each deal we do have to stretch over a long period of time.

The other benefit I could see is that in the case where something of a surprise happens to us like losing a player to a long-term injury or a long time target seemingly becoming available on the market and Klopp or the scouting personnel already have a name on their wish list, we can react fairly quickly and make it happen.

Ps: I also guess that the clubs we do business with also like that. When you are selling an important player in your squad you probably want it done ASAP in order to have time to turn around and replace him.

bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #110: Jul 29, 2018 01:07:26 pm
      Alisson wants the number 1 shirt off Karius.

Surely he shouldn't even have to ask it should be handed to him on a plate.

Can see Karius throwing a strop over this and wanting out of the club.

Win win situation really.
      Benito
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,918 posts | 281 
      Reply #111: Jul 29, 2018 09:47:59 pm
      I dont see why Karius would strop, other than being a bit of a primadonna he hadn't got a bad attitude. We've just paid the world record fee for a keeper. It's pretty clear who's getting the number 1 shirt .
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #112: Jul 29, 2018 09:57:13 pm
      Alisson wants the number 1 shirt off Karius.

Surely he shouldn't even have to ask it should be handed to him on a plate.

Can see Karius throwing a strop over this and wanting out of the club.

Win win situation really.

I think you're mixing Karius up with Mignolet on this situation.

And besides, what sort of madman would sell both Karius and Mignolet in the same window with no replacement coming? Clearly the latter could go but we'd still need Karius, because, shock horror, he was more than competent for us from January to that final.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      Reply #113: Jul 29, 2018 10:13:20 pm

And besides, what sort of madman would sell both Karius and Mignolet in the same window with no replacement coming? Clearly the latter could go but we'd still need Karius, because, shock horror, he was more than competent for us from January to that final.

Migs is number 22, mate.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #114: Jul 29, 2018 10:25:18 pm

Karius will stay one more season but he's gonzo next Summer.

Quick Reply