Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 19th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P21 W11 D8 L2

Nature's Fire Bill Shankly (BBC : Tonight 22nd of July.)

Read 3708 times
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Nature's Fire Bill Shankly (BBC : Tonight 22nd of July.)
      Jul 22, 2018 05:51:07 am
      BBC : Tonight 22nd of July.

Profile of the main man who started it all.  Covers not only his footballing success but also his Ayrshire family roots.

I had the privilege as a late 60's teenage Kopite to meet him.

Legend is an understatement for the man.

10 pm BBC 2

(Released and Broadcast previously but certainly worth another watch.)

« Last Edit: Jul 22, 2018 04:02:35 pm by RedPuppy »
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,248 posts | 2848 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Re: Nature's Fire Bill Shankly (BBC : Tonight 22nd of July.)
      Reply #1: Jul 22, 2018 04:03:17 pm
      Missed this the 1st time, thanks for the reminder.

Moved to the Kop, as more people will see the remainder.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,912 posts | 8428 
      Reply #2: Jul 22, 2018 04:17:43 pm
      Brilliant documentary, you get a sense of the devotion the players that played under Shankly had for the man the way they speak about him in the programme.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #3: Jul 22, 2018 10:47:06 pm
      Happy happy days even as a small kid when Liverpool scored you would hear the Kop roar and new they had scored. Seeing him on match of the day and hearing him talk was just the highlight of the week and then eventually going to see the games.

Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #4: Jul 22, 2018 11:03:40 pm
      Brilliant documentary, you get a sense of the devotion the players that played under Shankly had for the man the way they speak about him in the programme.

And the same applied to the supporters,we had lost a lot of our pride in the old second division.Bill Shankly brought that pride back the minute he arrived at Anfield in December 1959.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #5: Jul 22, 2018 11:14:42 pm
      it was a terribly sad time in 74 after destroying Newcastle he should have been made Life President or something worthy of his service and success he literally dragged this club from nowhere to the promised land
      Mrgvnfay
      Reply #6: Jul 23, 2018 09:18:15 am
      Best piece of TV I've seen in years...
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,528 posts | 6887 
      Reply #7: Jul 23, 2018 09:51:32 am
      it was a terribly sad time in 74 after destroying Newcastle he should have been made Life President or something worthy of his service and success he literally dragged this club from nowhere to the promised land

Very very difficult decision by the club.

Would the club have gone on to greater success if he had been allowed to hang around in the manner that Ferguson did at United? As for life president, I don't think he ever wanted to be a suit and he basically would have used it to be around the first team at Melwood.

I'm not so sure what would have been best and we'll never know.

Sad thing about it all is that he didn't really want to leave football.

Great programme anyway, for anyone who hasn't watched it yet.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #8: Jul 23, 2018 10:20:56 am
      The board didn't think too long about his future outside the club it was a case of if your going to leave you leave completely and this was apparently an annual thing in the previous years maybe they thought he was bluffing again. move forward a couple of decades with Kenny and we had another manager who had given everything and needed a break.
      I guess we will never know what discussions took place with the board and history suggests they were right in appointing Bob.
      I hope people listened to his words about short passing of the ball, move and make yourself available tiki taka my arse.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #9: Jul 26, 2018 10:29:12 pm
      rather sad that not many people watched this programme.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,912 posts | 8428 
      Reply #10: Jul 26, 2018 10:45:58 pm

Has been on before mate ;)

waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #11: Jul 26, 2018 11:01:03 pm
      seen it before but any time you get to see or hear the Great man should be an occasion worthy of celebration .
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #12: Jul 27, 2018 10:51:00 am
      Happy happy days even as a small kid when Liverpool scored you would hear the Kop roar and new they had scored. Seeing him on match of the day and hearing him talk was just the highlight of the week and then eventually going to see the games.

I can relate to that Walton. Used to stand by the front gate at Hanbury Rd Clubmoor when I was 4 until I moved away aged 8.
      Always listened for that roar on matchdays, then leg it indoors to let everyone know 😁
      Expect we were 1 1/4 miles away from the ground.
      « Last Edit: Jul 27, 2018 10:55:46 am by GERNS »
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #13: Jul 27, 2018 10:54:43 am
      I can relate to that Walton. Used to stand by the front gate at Hanbury Rd Clubmoor when I was 4 until I moved away aged 8.
      Always listened for that roar on matchdays, then leg it indoors to let everyone know 😁
      Expect we were 1 1/4 away from the ground.

stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,959 posts | 3943 
      Reply #14: Jul 27, 2018 11:26:38 am

Gonna have a bevvy tomorrow and catch it then, saved the recording for a night alone.
      As an afterthought I remember hearing the news, it was one of those where you remember where you were when the news broke and as with such jaw dropping disclosures sitting down and thinking was compulsory.
      The idea that it was a thought out decision was dispelled when there was no acceptable detail forthcoming, that is to say no acceptable reason for the legendary Shanks to depart so unceremoniously after serving the club so magnificently.

To my mind that mystery still prevails moreso after learning of the great man's disappointment at the nature of his leaving, no doubt the programme will shed little light on the mystery and will if anything increase the need for more information. 
      « Last Edit: Jul 27, 2018 11:51:42 am by stuey »
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,912 posts | 8428 
      Reply #15: Jul 27, 2018 01:15:16 pm
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,959 posts | 3943 
      Reply #16: Jul 29, 2018 12:45:57 am
      As stated previously did watch the documentary and have had a few scoops, not ashamed to admit for some reason my eyes did get watery, never gave it too much thought but hearing about Sir Bill working down the pit and that having a bearing on his decision making did make sense, more so when it was revealed that a good number of top players and managers were from that mining area of Scotland.

Being an ex-miner myself it is fully understandable that you have to have complete confidence in the lads you are grafting with.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #17: Jul 30, 2018 10:25:45 pm
      The Wierd thing about Shanks, retirement is, it was so unexpected, and still there has been no full explanation as to why he came to the decision.
      However.....
      Had he stayed, say, another 3-4 years, when he then retired, would Bob have then taken up the reigns.
      Bob took on the job reluctantly as it was. I don’t think he would have done that a few years later.
      So perhaps it was written in the stars, that this was the course the club would take, for whatever reason.
      No real sanity behind it, but would we really change the outcome ?
      I think not.
      Two great footballing men, completely different strengths, but together, the foundation of our major successes.
      How lucky were we to have them both at our club.
      LEGENDARY !
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #18: Aug 03, 2018 03:01:38 pm
      He had apparently offered his resignation on a number of previous occasions but it had been rejected in 74 it was accepted and its hard to argue that after his first season Sir Bob took the club to even higher highs.
      We were so blessed not just to have those two but Joe Fagan, Ronnie Moran and Roy Evans made them an incredible team that has never been matched maybe that's why we haven't won the league for sometime.
      Any programme from the 60's to the mid 80's is always worth viewing and as Stuey says make sure you have a tissue to hand to wipe away a tear or two.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #19: Aug 17, 2018 09:14:24 am
      managed to see some of the UTD game from 1968 on LFCTV last night. What a team that was and young supporters should take the time to watch that team and see why so many people scoff at the description of modern football. The pitch was sh*te but the passing and movement was just sublime . Chris Lawer called a full back then made several runs into the box almost scoring and Emlyn Hughes at left back was always powering forward just a joy to see them all again. Oh and we beat them 2-1 at their place just before they became European Cup winners.

Quick Reply