Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm - Pre Match Topic
      London Stadium

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

Curtis Jones Player Thread (M)

Read 79495 times
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,162 posts | 1092 
      Re: Curtis Jones Player Thread (M)
      Reply #782: Jan 29, 2024 02:04:37 am
      He's ignored the BS from "supporters" saying he sucks.

Instead of shelling up when we brought in 4 new midfielders this summer, he relished the opportunity to compete for a spot.

He's pushed through his fitness issues

He's worked on transforming himself from a kid who held onto the ball far too long, into a pressing machine man.

He's already scored more goals this season than any other of his career, amd were still in January.

And He's stayed the same down to earth team mate and person.

I'm convinced, Curtis Jones has truly arrived. One of the first names on the sheet for me. Need him if we're gonna win anything this season.
      alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,186 posts | 165 
      Reply #783: Jan 29, 2024 04:04:28 am
      He's ignored the BS from "supporters" saying he sucks.

Instead of shelling up when we brought in 4 new midfielders this summer, he relished the opportunity to compete for a spot.

He's pushed through his fitness issues

He's worked on transforming himself from a kid who held onto the ball far too long, into a pressing machine man.

He's already scored more goals this season than any other of his career, amd were still in January.

And He's stayed the same down to earth team mate and person.

I'm convinced, Curtis Jones has truly arrived. One of the first names on the sheet for me. Need him if we're gonna win anything this season.

He has been very good for some months now. He has been even more regular than Szobo. He's actually the most in form midfielder we have and he has scored 5 goals already, which is awesome. I always said our midfielders did not contribute enough since last season, thankfully this new generation is changing things drastically. Long may it continue. Jones can score 10 goals this season, and hopefully he will and cement his place in the team.
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,162 posts | 1092 
      Reply #784: Jan 29, 2024 04:49:11 am
      His 5 goals have come in the last 8 games. Kids on fire. Need him to work with some of the boys on headers. That finish was perfection
      alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,186 posts | 165 
      Reply #785: Jan 29, 2024 05:15:18 am
      His 5 goals have come in the last 8 games. Kids on fire. Need him to work with some of the boys on headers. That finish was perfection

The delivery was on point too.

I guess his priority is shooting. He's already decent there but if he can score more, he will definitely cause a headache to the manager. I don't think our midfielders scored an average of 5 goals in a season in recent seasons. Fabinho, Henderson, Wijnaldum and even Milner did not score enough. The max all of them scored was 6 in a PL season, I checked quickly. I always believed that our midfielders should contribute more, meaning that there's more threat on the field for the opposition.
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,284 posts | 1664 
      Reply #786: Feb 19, 2024 08:03:57 pm
      Hopefully news on Jones positive
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish
      • Started Topic

• 9,612 posts | 2159 
      Reply #787: Apr 14, 2024 11:15:58 pm
      Missed our two best chances today. Had an air shot when the balled was rolled across and the keeper was done and then the one on one that he put wide. Really poor game from Jones.
      The-AllMightyReds
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 803 posts | 154 
      Reply #788: Apr 14, 2024 11:23:21 pm
      Not at the required level for this club and don’t think he ever will be.

All very stop start for this lad. Besides becoming more experienced and growing a little physically, has he really improved as a player?

Has the same old traits as he did 2-3 years ago, doesn’t take risks, too many safe passes, holds onto the ball far too long, too many touches on the ball without going anywhere. The pressing and the ball retention is all well and dandy but it’ll only take you so far.

Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,162 posts | 1092 
      Reply #789: Apr 14, 2024 11:44:53 pm
      Missed our two best chances today. Had an air shot when the balled was rolled across and the keeper was done and then the one on one that he put wide. Really poor game from Jones.
      Why play him over Elliott? Scratched my head on that one. Been out a while and tired the other day. Elliott been well for a while
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,050 posts | 2102 
      Reply #790: Apr 15, 2024 11:16:22 am
      The reality with Jones and Elliott is that they're best coming off the bench and making an impact in that fashion. That's not to demean the work they do because by and large their impact from the bench this season has been phenomenal. But neither of them rarely make much of an impression starting a match.

The thing with Jones is that when he comes back from injury it takes him a long time to get back up to speed. For a club in our position with the stakes as high as they are, we simply cannot afford that. Also, he needs to prove that he is more than a flat track bully. For sure, he can do it against a Burnley, Bournemouth or West Ham...but what about the big ones? Granted, not many of our players have performed against the bigger / better teams as our appalling record against the top 6 can testify. But Jones might just be a perfect representation of us as a team. Talented but ultimately not good enough where the stakes are high and the trophies are valuable.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,933 posts | 3407 
      Reply #791: Apr 15, 2024 11:22:42 am
      The reality with Jones and Elliott is that they're best coming off the bench and making an impact in that fashion. That's not to demean the work they do because by and large their impact from the bench this season has been phenomenal. But neither of them rarely make much of an impression starting a match.

The thing with Jones is that when he comes back from injury it takes him a long time to get back up to speed. For a club in our position with the stakes as high as they are, we simply cannot afford that. Also, he needs to prove that he is more than a flat track bully. For sure, he can do it against a Burnley, Bournemouth or West Ham...but what about the big ones? Granted, not many of our players have performed against the bigger / better teams as our appalling record against the top 6 can testify. But Jones might just be a perfect representation of us as a team. Talented but ultimately not good enough where the stakes are high and the trophies are valuable.

I don’t think there has been one player who had been pilloried more since Lucas than Jones - he does seem to take a bit of time to get going but even against Atalanta he provided that great slide rule pass early for Nunez

There must be a reason why Klopp looks to get him into that team as soon as he can - he covers so much of the ground , think it’s close to the same ground as Dom

srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,247 posts | 4931 
      Reply #792: Apr 15, 2024 11:47:07 am
      As is the way with Curtis he needs a run of about five games to get into his stride again.

For a period this season he was our best CM after MacAllister but I doubt we'll see that Jones again until next season now
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,753 posts | 861 
      Reply #793: Apr 15, 2024 12:12:33 pm
      I understand why some people will criticize him after yesterday, but I think its pretty harsh considering the lad just came back from a long time out due to injury. Some players need to build their form back and some others will hit the ground running, but the latter are generally far from being the norm.

He was performing exceptionally well before the injury and has shown clear signs of improvement this year. As this season draws to a close, the crucial goal for him will be to finish the remaining games on a high note, rebuilding his form, and ensuring that he begins the next season further along in his development than he finished this season. .
      __Tickle__
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,861 posts | 409 
      Reply #794: Apr 15, 2024 12:30:54 pm
      Was playing his part pre injury. The worst thing about the injuries is getting players back up to speed while still winning games. He's not up to speed. Neither is Mo Salah, we know Jota takes a while too.
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,753 posts | 861 
      Reply #795: Apr 15, 2024 01:58:03 pm
      Was playing his part pre injury. The worst thing about the injuries is getting players back up to speed while still winning games. He's not up to speed. Neither is Mo Salah, we know Jota takes a while too.
      I would say Jota is actually very quick. He almost always hits the ground running. Lad doesn't need a lot to score because he's always at the right time at the right moment and his finishing is ridiculous.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,748 posts | 6721 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #796: Apr 16, 2024 02:52:08 am
      People can say what they want about him coming back from injury and trying to get his form back.

I understand the thinking but A) We don't have time for that and

B) That doesn't excuse him missing a sitter or every time he got the ball, he instantly passed it back to Virg or flicked across to Ibou. If he wasn't doing that, he was having the ball taken off him in the tackle!

So F***ing frustrating and yet stayed out there for fkn 80 minutes.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,242 posts | 2818 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #797: Apr 16, 2024 09:20:40 am
      The boy can play, hes talented. Sadly for me though he still plays u21 in his head, shocking miss Sunday, but in general I think he takes too many touches and plays too slowly
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,748 posts | 6721 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #798: Apr 18, 2024 08:06:55 am
      That’s it mate.

Was tearing it up at U21 level but hasn’t done it anywhere near consistently enough in the big boys League.
      Kurt Cocaine
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 754 posts | 127 
      Reply #799: Apr 18, 2024 08:11:09 am
      Injuries haven't helped Curtis' cause. There's a good player in there when he gets a run of games...
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,933 posts | 3407 
      Reply #800: Apr 18, 2024 08:50:14 am
      Ah - looks like it’s back to jones being a scapegoat again

Ffs he is just coming back from an injury

The man has proved himself more than good enough more than enough times now
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,226 posts | 918 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #801: Apr 18, 2024 07:19:30 pm
      Can’t believe he is playing tonight
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,976 posts | 2709 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #802: Apr 18, 2024 08:54:51 pm
      Can’t believe he is playing tonight

Playing like MOTM performance if you’re a manc.  :lmao:

Seriously though don’t think he will come it for the second half, least he shouldn’t.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,318 posts | 6380 
      Reply #803: Apr 18, 2024 09:00:15 pm

FFS if he's just coming back from injury, maybe he shouldn't be playing in such an important game when we have other midfielders that could play (Grav, Elliott).
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,976 posts | 2709 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #804: Apr 18, 2024 09:16:43 pm

To be fair doesn’t it take him a few games to get back into it?

Quick Reply