Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Curtis Jones Player Thread (M)

Read 75992 times
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Re: Curtis Jones Player Thread
      Reply #69: Jul 06, 2020 05:26:26 am
      So happy for him!
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #70: Jul 06, 2020 09:14:15 am
      I like the attitude of this kid, I think he'll go far with us, very positive approach to the game and links up very well with the others.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #71: Jul 07, 2020 05:14:52 pm
      Serious question for you regarding Curtis and the Merseyside accent: I've noticed on visits before that the accent is different from different parts of the city. Someone from Crosby sounds different to me than someone from Birkenhead, but maybe that's just me. Curtis' accent sounds different to me altogether (and maybe it is just the way he speaks and I don't know the difference). Can anyone shed some light on if his manner of speaking reflects a certain part of the city, a generational youth thing, or something else?

Any help to an outsider who is fascinated with the culture of the city, is appreciated.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #72: Jul 07, 2020 05:25:07 pm
      Serious question for you regarding Curtis and the Merseyside accent: I've noticed on visits before that the accent is different from different parts of the city. Someone from Crosby sounds different to me than someone from Birkenhead, but maybe that's just me. Curtis' accent sounds different to me altogether (and maybe it is just the way he speaks and I don't know the difference). Can anyone shed some light on if his manner of speaking reflects a certain part of the city, a generational youth thing, or something else?

Any help to an outsider who is fascinated with the culture of the city, is appreciated.

It’s just what it is, it’s like anywhere in the country, there’s variations on accent and the way people speak. Look at London, some parts like Chelsea, they talk very posh, where as other parts talk with a strong cockney accent. Then you get Héctor Bellerin for example who is Spanish but sounds more cockney than half of London.

Just depends what part of the city you grow up in.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #73: Jul 07, 2020 08:50:34 pm
      It’s just what it is, it’s like anywhere in the country, there’s variations on accent and the way people speak. Look at London, some parts like Chelsea, they talk very posh, where as other parts talk with a strong cockney accent. Then you get Héctor Bellerin for example who is Spanish but sounds more cockney than half of London.

Thanks. So in Curtis' speech does he remind you of a certain part of Liverpool? His bio on the official site says he was raised near the city centre.
      Klopps Snood
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,631 posts | 1558 
      • CHAMPI9NS
      Reply #74: Jul 07, 2020 08:53:03 pm

Yeah and I'm from Bootle and sound just like Jamie Carragher  ;) ;) ;)  :lmao:
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #75: Jul 07, 2020 10:16:40 pm
      Yeah and I'm from Bootle and sound just like Jamie Carragher  ;) ;) ;)  :lmao:

Haha Whiston for me so not quite Carra like

Thanks. So in Curtis' speech does he remind you of a certain part of Liverpool? His bio on the official site says he was raised near the city centre.

I've always thought it's generally a mixture of softer and heavy accents in the areas within the city centre. Head more towards Southport and it sounds a bit more posh...if that's the right word for it. It just varies really.
      « Last Edit: Jul 07, 2020 10:25:14 pm by 7-King Kenny-7 »
      Klopps Snood
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,631 posts | 1558 
      • CHAMPI9NS
      Reply #76: Jul 07, 2020 10:19:41 pm
      Haha Whiston for me so not quite Carra like

I've always thought it's generally a mixture of softer and heavy accents in the areas within the city centre

I'm just messing, don't really sound like Carra  :lmao:
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,233 posts | 752 
      Reply #77: Jul 07, 2020 11:18:14 pm
      Great prospect for the club, could be a first team regular, for many years to come !
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #78: Jul 08, 2020 02:49:26 am
      I'm just messing, don't really sound like Carra  :lmao:

She sounds more like a young Glenda Jackson.  ;D
      Klopps Snood
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,631 posts | 1558 
      • CHAMPI9NS
      Reply #79: Jul 08, 2020 01:25:04 pm
      She sounds more like a young Glenda Jackson.  ;D

;D ;D ;D
      Tayls
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #80: Jul 20, 2020 04:50:27 pm
      Will wear the number 17 next year, a shirt we all will remember was worn by a certain other midfield Scouser once upon a time. Ragnar Klavan was the most recent player to wear it.

Really looking forward to seeing him kick on next year, be interesting to see how much he can push for a first team place.
      alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,185 posts | 165 
      Reply #81: Jul 20, 2020 07:09:55 pm
      Having this number is a clear statement from the club to him: they expect him to play regularly next season.

I would not mind him replacing Wijnaldum if the latter was to be sold.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,961 posts | 3943 
      Reply #82: Jul 20, 2020 07:57:57 pm

As a child and a youth and living in Walton then  Speke and Halewood people's accents were quite similar in the city centre and the suburbs, considering those who lived on the over-spill estates were mostly from areas in and around town it is understandable. Talking about the '60's and '70's in that context.
      The weird thing is from the '80's the accent has been exaggerated mostly as a sign of toughness by the youth and the aspects of the accent that set it apart from the Queens English are more pronounced, the chat out of the various gang members from Noggsy, Kirkby, Croxteth etc is proof of the assertion.

Formby, Southport, the Wirral etc are woolybacks and a different kettle.

edit: The term 'woolyback' is not meant as a detrimental term, it is used as a description for people living outside Liverpool boundaries.

On topic and cannot wait for Curtis Jones to kick on next season,
      « Last Edit: Jul 20, 2020 08:07:33 pm by stuey »
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #83: Jul 20, 2020 08:49:45 pm
      Will wear the number 17 next year, a shirt we all will remember was worn by a certain other midfield Scouser once upon a time. Ragnar Klavan was the most recent player to wear it.

Really looking forward to seeing him kick on next year, be interesting to see how much he can push for a first team place.

Ragnar Klavan's coming back?! - I know we aren't in the market for major transfers, but I didn't see that one coming at all.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #84: Jul 20, 2020 09:40:40 pm

Toxteth. Plus he has a bit of a lisp.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,233 posts | 752 
      Reply #85: Jul 20, 2020 11:07:03 pm
      Should have a great future, hope it is at Anfield where he surely belongs !
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #86: Jul 20, 2020 11:19:13 pm
      A sure sign he will be heavily involved next season IMO.

He’s being given his chance, it’s up to him now to deliver.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #87: Aug 09, 2020 09:42:23 am
      Hes being a bit sad on twitter begging for votes for FA cup goal of the season in exchange for a kit with his number on.

Was an amazing way to announce himself but if he continues the way he is going on the pitch that goal will be just the beginning of a great career.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,233 posts | 752 
      Reply #88: Aug 09, 2020 11:55:20 am
      Curtis Jones looks like he has a very promising future. Surely he will develop his full potential under Jürgen Klopp.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #89: Aug 30, 2020 08:55:57 am
      Not short of confidence this lad! Got to admire his pen yesterday and his look back to the keeper after he slotted it past him.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #90: Aug 30, 2020 11:03:10 am
      Not short of confidence this lad! Got to admire his pen yesterday and his look back to the keeper after he slotted it past him.

Surprised we waited so long before putting him  on.
      Kopite78
      Reply #91: Aug 30, 2020 12:20:18 pm
      Baller this lad

Leader for his age too. Went to Brewster before anyone else

Needs time to develop but will be a fantastic player for us

Quick Reply