Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Curtis Jones Player Thread (M)

Read 76102 times
      CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Re: Curtis Jones Player Thread
      Reply #184: Dec 27, 2020 06:47:24 pm
      I hope he gets benched next game. That type of careless, sloppy play cost us 2 points and Klopp needs to send a message.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #185: Dec 27, 2020 07:05:35 pm
      A lesson to learn really. No bad thing but he was a danger to us all game in a match where the only threat was losing the ball cheaply or a set piece. A combination of both and there you have it.

No need to kill the lad. He is young and confident but  dallying with it in your own half is not the one.

He needs to find his own niche in the side because being another Gini isn't for him. Much prefer him doing that stuff on the edge of their box.
      Scottbot
      • Started Topic

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #186: Dec 27, 2020 09:53:10 pm
      I hope he gets benched next game. That type of careless, sloppy play cost us 2 points and Klopp needs to send a message.

That’s a bollox attitude. He gave away a corner. All we had to do was defend the bloody thing.

The lads been superb. Had a quiet game today but he wasn’t alone in that.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,021 posts | 2742 
      Reply #187: Dec 27, 2020 10:39:00 pm
      He made a mistake but as I said in the match thread, it should have been the boss who took him off earlier. Unfortunately he looked like he had an error like that in him all afternoon so it was bizarre he was still on the bench in the closing stages. Still should have defended the set piece better so very harsh to blame the dropped points on him when so many of the senior players like Salah and Henderson were terrible and cost us just as much.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #188: Dec 27, 2020 11:00:46 pm
      We didn’t play well today and pretty much every player performed below their usual standard, but we dropped points because of Jones and there’s no ifs or buts about it.

Despite playing the whole game in only second gear, we still had complete control. WBA posed very little threat and it was going to take an error from us for them to get back into the game.

Curtis made that error by over playing in his own half, in a dangerous area. I don’t accept his age as an excuse because there are certain things you are taught at a very young age in football and not to over play in dangerous areas is one of them. I watch my ten year old son play every Saturday and if he had done that then I’d have screamed at him - but even he knows better.

Daft from Curtis but I don’t agree in dropping him. That’ll only knock his confidence. Klopp needs to have a word in private, maybe a little bit of a bollocking, and we move on. He starts on Wednesday for me.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,021 posts | 2742 
      Reply #189: Dec 27, 2020 11:09:23 pm
      We didn’t play well today and pretty much every player performed below their usual standard, but we dropped points because of Jones and there’s no ifs or buts about it.

Despite playing the whole game in only second gear, we still had complete control. WBA posed very little threat and it was going to take an error from us for them to get back into the game.

Curtis made that error by over playing in his own half, in a dangerous area. I don’t accept his age as an excuse because there are certain things you are taught at a very young age in football and not to over play in dangerous areas is one of them. I watch my ten year old son play every Saturday and if he had done that then I’d have screamed at him - but even he knows better.

Daft from Curtis but I don’t agree in dropping him. That’ll only knock his confidence. Klopp needs to have a word in private, maybe a little bit of a bollocking, and we move on. He starts on Wednesday for me.

Absolute F***ing bollocks.

Did Curtis kick it in his own net? No, the ball was still in play after his error and then there was a corner to defend. Plenty of opportunity for others to atone for his error but no one did.

You say WBA posed little threat but just a few minutes before, they went clear through on goal and only a smart save from Alisson denied them so let's not rewrite the match and say WBA had nothing bar Jones F***ing up because they clearly were a threat second half.

He made a mistake but F***ing hell the overreaction to it is mental. Kids will make mistakes, I remember an ill-disciplined young Steven Gerrard not too long ago. Kids will always make mistakes, even the ones that go onto the best of their generation - some days you get lucky and avoid punishment and some days you don't. Some of our experienced lads still could have bailed us out today but they didn't turn up either.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #190: Dec 27, 2020 11:44:01 pm
      Absolute f**king bollocks.

Did Curtis kick it in his own net? No, the ball was still in play after his error and then there was a corner to defend. Plenty of opportunity for others to atone for his error but no one did.

You say WBA posed little threat but just a few minutes before, they went clear through on goal and only a smart save from Alisson denied them so let's not rewrite the match and say WBA had nothing bar Jones f**king up because they clearly were a threat second half.

He made a mistake but f**king hell the overreaction to it is mental. Kids will make mistakes, I remember an ill-disciplined young Steven Gerrard not too long ago. Kids will always make mistakes, even the ones that go onto the best of their generation - some days you get lucky and avoid punishment and some days you don't. Some of our experienced lads still could have bailed us out today but they didn't turn up either.

Your post is bollocks actually.

If it wasn’t for Jones then they don’t get a corner in the first place. Allardyce teams can’t play football and they’re known for their threat on set pieces, I’m 99.999% certain klopp and his staff would have warned his players of this pre match and they would have been under strict orders not to give any unnecessary set pieces away. 

They did pose little threat. They had 3 shots and 20% possession. They had a fairly decent chance in the one you’re referring to but I still didn’t feel like they were ever going to score unless we made a mistake.

Yeah our senior players huffed and puffed today. That happens. They aren’t going to score 3, 4, 5 goals every week. But the difference is, what Jones did could have easily been prevented. It was just sheer stupidity on his part. Over playing in a dangerous area. It’s ridiculous. I can tell from your comments you have never played football, or certainly not to a decent level, because trust me that is something you are taught at a very, very early age. It’s proper basic football.

Nobody is over reacting to it. People are just saying it how it is. He made a mistake that was easily preventable which cost us two points today. I’m not saying F***ing sell the lad I’m just saying how it F***ing is but you get blokes on forums who just for whatever reason will defend these type of situations until they’re blue in the face, even if they’re clearly F***ing wrong, which you are. 
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,021 posts | 2742 
      Reply #191: Dec 27, 2020 11:59:58 pm
      Your post is bollocks actually.

If it wasn’t for Jones then they don’t get a corner in the first place. Allardyce teams can’t play football and they’re known for their threat on set pieces, I’m 99.999% certain klopp and his staff would have warned his players of this pre match and they would have been under strict orders not to give any unnecessary set pieces away. 

They did pose little threat. They had 3 shots and 20% possession. They had a fairly decent chance in the one you’re referring to but I still didn’t feel like they were ever going to score unless we made a mistake.

Yeah our senior players huffed and puffed today. That happens. They aren’t going to score 3, 4, 5 goals every week. But the difference is, what Jones did could have easily been prevented. It was just sheer stupidity on his part. Over playing in a dangerous area. It’s ridiculous. I can tell from your comments you have never played football, or certainly not to a decent level, because trust me that is something you are taught at a very, very early age. It’s proper basic football.

Nobody is over reacting to it. People are just saying it how it is. He made a mistake that was easily preventable which cost us two points today. I’m not saying f**king sell the lad I’m just saying how it f**king is but you get blokes on forums who just for whatever reason will defend these type of situations until they’re blue in the face, even if they’re clearly f**king wrong, which you are. 

A chance to have a debate and you decide to act a c**t with snidey comments, not surprised to be fair.

You can tell from my comments I've never played 'or certainly not to a decent level'. I'm sorry since when did you have to have an opinion on here? No I haven't played Premier League football but I have watched the game for over 30 years so I'm entitled to a F***ing opinion without having the likes of you acting all high and mighty over me. I'm sure your next comment will be how you can tell I've not been to Anfield for a few years so my opinion counts for less than yours.

You're taught several things from a young age at football but they still happen at the top level - not keeping your head down when you've got a chance, not passing across the goal etc.. How can you say our senior players 'huffed and puffed and that it happens' but when I say a kid makes a mistake 'that happens' you just dismiss it and want to solely blame him for dropped points? He fu**ed up today but it's just not fair to say he was solely responsible. There were opportunities to deal with his error straight after and we didn't and there was ample opportunity for the rest of the team to generally play better and have us more than a goal up against F***ing West Brom by the 80th minute when the error happened. What about the boss? He'd seen Jones be a bit ropey, holding on the ball too long all game so why didn't he take him off? Or was it Jones' fault he didn't ask Jürgen to take him off?

Anyway, I'm going to leave it at that and stick you on ignore before I get myself in trouble.
      rossyred

• 9,094 posts | 1634 
      Reply #192: Dec 28, 2020 12:36:22 am
      A chance to have a debate and you decide to act a c**t with snidey comments, not surprised to be fair.

You can tell from my comments I've never played 'or certainly not to a decent level'. I'm sorry since when did you have to have an opinion on here? No I haven't played Premier League football but I have watched the game for over 30 years so I'm entitled to a f**king opinion without having the likes of you acting all high and mighty over me. I'm sure your next comment will be how you can tell I've not been to Anfield for a few years so my opinion counts for less than yours.

You're taught several things from a young age at football but they still happen at the top level - not keeping your head down when you've got a chance, not passing across the goal etc.. How can you say our senior players 'huffed and puffed and that it happens' but when I say a kid makes a mistake 'that happens' you just dismiss it and want to solely blame him for dropped points? He fu**ed up today but it's just not fair to say he was solely responsible. There were opportunities to deal with his error straight after and we didn't and there was ample opportunity for the rest of the team to generally play better and have us more than a goal up against f**king West Brom by the 80th minute when the error happened. What about the boss? He'd seen Jones be a bit ropey, holding on the ball too long all game so why didn't he take him off? Or was it Jones' fault he didn't ask Jürgen to take him off?

Anyway, I'm going to leave it at that and stick you on ignore before I get myself in trouble.

Spot on made a mistake and was punished but not sure Rhys Williams covered himself in glory for the goal and for the other chance they had.  Why ? Because they are to a certain extent out of their depth who would have thought Williams and to a lesser extent Jones would of played so many minutes I had never even really heard of Williams. 
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #193: Dec 28, 2020 12:40:06 am
      Curtis is a great prospect still in the early days of learning his trade. He's playing far more football than he or Klopp expected him to. Not his best game today but for the most part he has played really well so far.

Anyone giving the kid a hard time after one poor performance can get fu**ed.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #194: Dec 28, 2020 10:05:44 am
      Too many having a dig at the young lads, when truth be told there were plenty of senior players that were simply sh*te on the day, first half we battered them, 82% possession, on a good day 82% possession usually means a sh*t load of goals, but against the bus Parker’s it means very little, especially when penetration is so difficult,
      We had one of those games where we just weren’t at it, we were off the pace, played at a slow tempo, side to side passing, lacked those darting runs into space, those defence splitters we’re used to seeing, we had very little room to move because of their tactics, we needed more creativity, especially that second half where along with more pace I was screaming out for,
      Jürgen has to do more than just stick with one game plan, a game plan that was clearly not working, sometimes being so persistent doesn’t work, you have to change things, why wasn’t Shaq/Minamino  or both not thrown on last 15 or so, just to change the dynamic, make them think of or do something else ?

I’m not too concerned though, we do this every season, we have a game or two where we just kind of brain freeze and not perform, i expect to see a reaction against Newcastle, those players know that that wasn’t good enough,
      and I do expect us to get a new shiny CB in January, it’s a necessity now, if it wasn’t before, we can’t just simply make do, short term maybe, but long term we will get found out, we can’t rely on inexperienced young lads to fill a void and expect them not to make errors, we need at least one CB, one who can hit the ground running and as good as we have already if not better, and we need him ASAP!

Y  N  W  A
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #195: Dec 28, 2020 10:12:19 am
      It happens all players make errors irrespective of age. Nothing to worry about they are only human.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #196: Dec 28, 2020 12:34:11 pm

You can tell from my comments I've never played 'or certainly not to a decent level'. I'm sorry since when did you have to have an opinion on here? No I haven't played Premier League football but I have watched the game for over 30 years so I'm entitled to a f**king opinion without having the likes of you acting all high and mighty over me. I'm sure your next comment will be how you can tell I've not been to Anfield for a few years so my opinion counts for less than yours.

You're taught several things from a young age at football but they still happen at the top level - not keeping your head down when you've got a chance, not passing across the goal etc.. How can you say our senior players 'huffed and puffed and that it happens' but when I say a kid makes a mistake 'that happens' you just dismiss it and want to solely blame him for dropped points? He fu**ed up today but it's just not fair to say he was solely responsible. There were opportunities to deal with his error straight after and we didn't and there was ample opportunity for the rest of the team to generally play better and have us more than a goal up against f**king West Brom by the 80th minute when the error happened. What about the boss? He'd seen Jones be a bit ropey, holding on the ball too long all game so why didn't he take him off? Or was it Jones' fault he didn't ask Jürgen to take him off?

You’re not surprised to be fair? I don’t even know who you are and I’m pretty sure we’ve never spoken or debated in the past, so I doubt you know who I am. I barely post on the forum nowadays and haven’t for a couple of years. So I don’t know what that’s supposed to mean.

You say it was an opportunity to debate but your first line was ‘absolutely bollocks’ so what the F**k do you expect?

You’re missing the whole point. I’m not disagreeing with you in that our senior players were poor. The whole team was. But what Jones did was easily preventable and you don’t over play on the edge of your box. It’s simple, basic football. Proper school boy stuff that. Yes you can have an opinion despite what level of football you’ve played but I’ll tell you that you’re F***ing wrong when you say my post was ‘absolute bollocks’ when not a word I’ve said was incorrect in any way. As I said, if my F***ing ten year old did what Jones did in one of his games then he would have got a talking to. But even he knows better.

Why do you keep saying we should have defended the corner? Why should we? Defending set pieces isn’t a particular strength of ours and we didn’t have any senior cbs on the pitch. So why should we instantly defend the corner as if it’s a given? We wouldn’t have had a corner to defend in the first place if it wasn’t for Jones. He gave wba an opportunity to bring their big men up and put a ball into the box and we got punished for it.

I don’t know what it is with some fully grown men but you come onto a football forum and you discuss the match and say things how they are and they react like little children. Do you think it makes you more of a fan or something? That you will defend things none stop even if you’re wrong?

Jones made a big error yesterday and wba scored from it. That’s it. It’s not the end of the F***ing world. But people will discuss it and say it how it is and you get blurts denying it happened to save their super fan status. Grow up.

FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,049 posts | 6294 
      Reply #197: Dec 28, 2020 01:26:29 pm
      So Jones made an error....WGAF?

The kid has been mostly great at 19 years old starting for the best club in the world. I suppose I’ll forgive him an odd error here and there, especially when there were senior players that are paid more and have more expected of them that played like hot garbage.

HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #198: Dec 28, 2020 01:37:42 pm
      So Jones made an error....WGAF?

I don’t know what it is with some fully grown men but you come onto a football forum and you discuss the match and say things how they are and they react like little children. Do you think it makes you more of a fan or something? That you will defend things none stop even if you’re wrong?

It’s weird.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,965 posts | 3944 
      Reply #199: Dec 28, 2020 01:42:03 pm
      Every player on the field bears responsibility for the final result!!
      If those short sighted blame merchants want to point a finger why not Alisson who fumbled their equaliser?

Do you think the manager would make such negative observations about any one LFC player?
      Give your arse a chance but most of all give the 19 year old lad a chance with his blossoming LFC apprenticeship.
      rossyred

• 9,094 posts | 1634 
      Reply #200: Dec 28, 2020 01:52:51 pm
      Every player on the field bears responsibility for the final result!!
      If those short sighted blame merchants want to point a finger why not Alisson who fumbled their equaliser?

Do you think the manager would make such negative observations about any one LFC player?
      Give your arse a chance but most of all give the 19 year old lad a chance with his blossoming LFC apprenticeship.

Alisson fumbled what equaliser?
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,965 posts | 3944 
      Reply #201: Dec 28, 2020 02:17:03 pm

Did you not see the game?
      The shot came in hit the corner post came off Alison and bounced in.
      1-1
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      Reply #202: Dec 28, 2020 02:28:42 pm
      You’re not surprised to be fair? I don’t even know who you are and I’m pretty sure we’ve never spoken or debated in the past, so I doubt you know who I am. I barely post on the forum nowadays and haven’t for a couple of years. So I don’t know what that’s supposed to mean.

You say it was an opportunity to debate but your first line was ‘absolutely bollocks’ so what the f**k do you expect?

You’re missing the whole point. I’m not disagreeing with you in that our senior players were poor. The whole team was. But what Jones did was easily preventable and you don’t over play on the edge of your box. It’s simple, basic football. Proper school boy stuff that. Yes you can have an opinion despite what level of football you’ve played but I’ll tell you that you’re f**king wrong when you say my post was ‘absolute bollocks’ when not a word I’ve said was incorrect in any way. As I said, if my f**king ten year old did what Jones did in one of his games then he would have got a talking to. But even he knows better.

Why do you keep saying we should have defended the corner? Why should we? Defending set pieces isn’t a particular strength of ours and we didn’t have any senior cbs on the pitch. So why should we instantly defend the corner as if it’s a given? We wouldn’t have had a corner to defend in the first place if it wasn’t for Jones. He gave wba an opportunity to bring their big men up and put a ball into the box and we got punished for it.

Jones made a big error yesterday and wba scored from it. That’s it. It’s not the end of the f**king world. But people will discuss it and say it how it is and you get blurts denying it happened to save their super fan status. Grow up.

I think your being a tad harsh on the lad H, there were mistakes made all over the pitch yesterday from senior pro’s, he’s a young lad is Jones far from the finished article so he’s prone to make errors yet, your spot on mate regarding where and how he erred, but he’ll learn from it I’m sure,
       I want to know why a foul wasn’t awarded for that assault on Fabinho, or why VAR didn’t intervene, I didn’t see it at first but on the replay the player is clearly climbing all over Fabinho, outside the box it would have been a clear yellow, on the whole though we just weren’t at the races for whatever  reason, and of course fell foul of Allardyce and his pathetic tactics, we were short of pace/tempo especially second half where space was a premium in the final third,

but where were the runs into spaces, we didn’t exploit their defences enough, I feel throwing Shaq/ Minamino or both on to do just that could have been the answer, all we did was cross wasteful balls into their box, which they dealt with easily, I was disappointed with Klopp not trying something different after the hour, chucking on the equally inept Origi made no difference and was far too late anyway.

Y  N  W  A

stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,965 posts | 3944 
      Reply #203: Dec 28, 2020 02:32:05 pm

Martin Atkinson was monitoring VAR,

billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      Reply #204: Dec 28, 2020 02:39:02 pm

Martin Atkinson was monitoring VAR,

Explains a lot that mate, despicable referee, shouldn’t be anywhere near the EPL, the standard of refereeing in this country is a joke, why can’t they clone a few Collina’s ?
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #205: Dec 28, 2020 02:44:37 pm
      Biggest mistake was not defending a run of the mill set piece.

There again we became so nervous at not finding that second goal, maybe we should lay into Salah 😁.
      WBA sensed the nerves and rightly so punished us.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #206: Dec 28, 2020 02:55:03 pm
      Wrong to single out any individuals after yesterday,  collectively we weren't great, especially 2nd half , got sloppier as the game went on and got what we deserved.  Thought Jürgen should have changed it earlier.

Quick Reply