Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Curtis Jones Player Thread (M)

Read 76112 times
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Re: Curtis Jones Player Thread
      Reply #345: Oct 31, 2021 11:09:26 pm
      Not a first Teamer for me

Would have much preferrred Taki out there then Curtis. Taki is in everyone's face, charging down balls, full of energy. Curtis is the exact opposite.

We needed Taki's energy and pressing ability out there.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,021 posts | 2742 
      Reply #346: Nov 01, 2021 09:25:25 am
      Just a page or two he was heralded as a massive talent who had started the season well and now after a couple of shaky games people haven't been impressed with him at all this season.

He's a kid, he's going to go up and down and it's to be expected. He was also unlucky to pick up that injury on international duty just after putting in a couple of big performances.

I think at this moment of his development he needs to be playing with two of the more disciplined midfielders (like two from Fab/Thiago/Hendo) as his off the ball work is not there yet. It's always going to be difficult for him if he's playing with Ox who is similar in the defensive aspect of his game.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,966 posts | 3048 
      Reply #347: Nov 01, 2021 01:24:47 pm
      Great player and prospect.

sh*te on Saturday. It happens.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #348: Nov 05, 2021 10:53:09 am
      he is out for a week he got a scratch to his eye in training. He has been unlucky lately needs to get back on track
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #349: Nov 05, 2021 12:53:08 pm
      A scratch to the eye?

Not being bad but he has another, how is he unavailable with that? He can see with his other eye, has 2 legs to  move and kick no way he should be out, especially with midfield being a disaster area.

Unless the eye is in sh*te the physio is being too cautious here for me
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,096 posts | 1636 
      Reply #350: Nov 05, 2021 12:57:27 pm
      A scratch to the eye?

Not being bad but he has another, how is he unavailable with that? He can see with his other eye, has 2 legs to  move and kick no way he should be out, especially with midfield being a disaster area.

Unless the eye is in sh*te the physio is being too cautious here for me

Imagine the outcry if Keita had that injury wouldn't hear the end of it
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #351: Nov 05, 2021 01:00:33 pm
      Imagine the outcry if Keita had that injury wouldn't hear the end of it

Could you imagine Hyppia Carra Stevie for example missing a game with that?
      bmck

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #352: Jan 16, 2022 07:50:18 pm
      “I had a long talk last week with Curtis,” said Klopp ahead of the visit of Brentford, against whom Jones scored his only goal of the season back in September.

“I love the boy and the potential he has but we have to come to the next steps now and make sure he fulfils the potential he has on the pitch very often.

“You have these kind of conversations when you are not 100 per cent happy with the moment.

“He is very young but his potential is incredible and we both together have to find a way to show much more of him.

“It’s an ongoing process with Curtis and me but I know he he had a tricky time a long time out with the eye and then after that Covid which was not helpful.

“But now we try to make sure he gets rhythm and can show how good he can actually be.”

Just reading this from Jürgen on Jones, hadn't heard them before.
      Not sure what he meant by the not 100% happy comments, but I guess bottom line must be he expects more.
      He has a lot of potential, and imho should be starting matches right now with Thiago and Elliot out.
      Gonna be a bit harder for him when they come back, but that could be a while yet.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,114 posts | 4878 
      Reply #353: Jan 16, 2022 07:51:18 pm
      He should start every game for the foreseeable as long as he's fit to get some rhythm.
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,937 posts | 502 
      Reply #354: Jan 16, 2022 08:16:05 pm
      “I had a long talk last week with Curtis,” said Klopp ahead of the visit of Brentford, against whom Jones scored his only goal of the season back in September.

“I love the boy and the potential he has but we have to come to the next steps now and make sure he fulfils the potential he has on the pitch very often.

“You have these kind of conversations when you are not 100 per cent happy with the moment.

“He is very young but his potential is incredible and we both together have to find a way to show much more of him.

“It’s an ongoing process with Curtis and me but I know he he had a tricky time a long time out with the eye and then after that Covid which was not helpful.

“But now we try to make sure he gets rhythm and can show how good he can actually be.”

Not sure what he meant by the not 100% happy comments, but I guess bottom line must be he expects more.
      He has a lot of potential, and imho should be starting matches right now with Thiago and Elliot out.
      Gonna be a bit harder for him when they come back, but that could be a while yet.

Sounds like Jürgen's telling him that he needs to step up and be more consistent/reliable. While also dangling the prospect of more game time for him. Think it's true he needs to just be a bit more careful with possession - he gives it away a bit too often in bad areas. But he does obviously have plenty of talent. Guess Jürgen is in the position where he's thinking do I need to go out and sign a creative CM or do I have one here that is ready to step up? And letting Curtis know he has the chance to make his case.
      bmck

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #355: Jan 16, 2022 08:31:26 pm
      Sounds like Jürgen's telling him that he needs to step up and be more consistent/reliable. While also dangling the prospect of more game time for him. Think it's true he needs to just be a bit more careful with possession - he gives it away a bit too often in bad areas. But he does obviously have plenty of talent. Guess Jürgen is in the position where he's thinking do I need to go out and sign a creative CM or do I have one here that is ready to step up? And letting Curtis know he has the chance to make his case.

Jürgen deffo has a way of phrasing things that sometimes leaves room for speculation about what he's aiming at.
      Stuff like 'long talk', 'not 100 per cent happy', 'have to come to the next steps now', 'have to find a way to show much more of him' - was a bit surprised tbh, not quite an ultimatum, but sort of seems to be saying needs to start showing something very soon. Or else?
      Also said 'potential is incredible', 'love the boy', 'show how good he can actually be', so maybe reading to much into it, and an it's just a process of trying to get him to the next level.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #356: Jan 16, 2022 08:36:57 pm
      I think Houlier had a tremendous gift with kids I guess it stems from his days as a teacher at my old school. He had absolute belief in Stevie,Jamie and Owen and they new it and it paid off. Would I play Jones every game I dont know because its Jürgen who sees him every day and I trust his judgement
      PTU
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,079 posts | 630 
      Reply #357: Jan 16, 2022 08:39:22 pm
      I'm not surprised they had that talk, but I am surprised Jürgen disclosed it to the media...
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,937 posts | 502 
      Reply #358: Jan 16, 2022 08:44:20 pm
      I'm not surprised they had that talk, but I am surprised Jürgen disclosed it to the media...

Yeah, suggests Jürgen feels he needs to give him a bit of a push. Gotta trust Jürgen on this kind of thing, man management is obviously one of his strengths.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,481 posts | 3286 
      Reply #359: Jan 16, 2022 08:47:09 pm
      Seems standard Klopp pep talk

Jones started well , played well in a tough season last year , been unlucky with a freak injury

The door is right open for him now

He has loads of ability and self belief , time to produce the goods and today was a great start
      RedWilly

• 9,146 posts | 1619 
      Reply #360: Jan 16, 2022 08:54:17 pm
      I think the lad has potential, but I’m not sure I see him becoming a key player for us. Think he will be a decent player to have in the squad but he has a long way to go in order to be a permanent fixture imo.

Think with lads who come through the academy we have a habit of making them out to be more than they are - I remember raving about Martin Kelly and Dani Pacheco (god knows what happened to him). Flip side - we’ve been very spoilt at Liverpool with Stevie, Trent, Fowler and Owen coming through as teenagers and looking like the best on the park so maybe I’m comparing to the impact those had when they broke through.
      PTU
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,079 posts | 630 
      Reply #361: Jan 16, 2022 09:01:22 pm
      I think the lad has potential, but I’m not sure I see him becoming a key player for us. Think he will be a decent player to have in the squad but he has a long way to go in order to be a permanent fixture imo.

Think with lads who come through the academy we have a habit of making them out to be more than they are - I remember raving about Martin Kelly and Dani Pacheco (god knows what happened to him). Flip side - we’ve been very spoilt at Liverpool with Stevie, Trent, Fowler and Owen coming through as teenagers and looking like the best on the park so maybe I’m comparing to the impact those had when they broke through.

I still believe Martin Kelly would have gone on to become a great player without his injuries. The lad was really unlucky. But that's the same story for many young players, unfortunately.
      Hopefully, Curtis won't be the same.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,972 posts | 2052 
      Reply #362: Jan 16, 2022 09:18:42 pm
      I still believe Martin Kelly would have gone on to become a great player without his injuries. The lad was really unlucky. But that's the same story for many young players, unfortunately.
      Hopefully, Curtis won't be the same.

Completely agree with you about Kelly. Still carved out a decent top flight career with Palace but 10 years ago he really would have been a top top class mainstay for many years. I rememeber an absolutely fantastic performance against Chelsea in the league Cup in November 2011. Wonderful display
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,481 posts | 3286 
      Reply #363: Jan 16, 2022 09:26:07 pm
      Completely agree with you about Kelly. Still carved out a decent top flight career with Palace but 10 years ago he really would have been a top top class mainstay for many years. I rememeber an absolutely fantastic performance against Chelsea in the league Cup in November 2011. Wonderful display

The cruciate seemed to knock him back badly

waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #364: Jan 16, 2022 09:37:30 pm
      were never going to find out unless he plays its a chicken and egg situation but I dont want us to be discussing his potential in 2 or 3 years time.
      Maybe the lad lacks a bit of confidence and needs an older player to give him some support.  Again as i have said many times its incredibly difficult to come from the academy into one of the best teams in the world even with all the skill in the world experience is just as essential.
      Salah10
      • Banned

• 1,224 posts | 200 
      Reply #365: Jan 16, 2022 10:55:04 pm

Kristian Nemeth
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #366: Jan 17, 2022 04:40:14 pm

With Elliott and Thiago out this is arguably Jones' best opportunity to make a case for himself.
      That's the impression the comments from Klopp give off too.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,457 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #367: Jan 17, 2022 04:43:13 pm
      Cracking player, Im sure this run of games will do him world of good.

Quick Reply