Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Curtis Jones Player Thread (M)

Read 76123 times
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Re: Curtis Jones Player Thread (M)
      Reply #437: Aug 26, 2022 01:27:17 pm
      Has caught the curse of Keita, is constantly injured or has some sort of niggle.

Should be a make or break season for him, we can’t carry on just hoping players will suddenly develop a bit of steel.
      CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #438: Aug 26, 2022 01:36:12 pm
      Has caught the curse of Keita, is constantly injured or has some sort of niggle.

Should be a make or break season for him, we can’t carry on just hoping players will suddenly develop a bit of steel.

I know this goes against the narrative going right now, but it would be worth questioning why is it our players are getting hurt more often than before they came here, such as whipping boys Matip and Keita.
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,696 posts | 837 
      Reply #439: Aug 26, 2022 01:37:12 pm

My problem with Curtis isn't even the injuries. Its the fact that in 3 seasons with us now, I can't say I've seen any significant development in his game from the moment he got to the first team. Not a particularly good passer, not a particularly good presser, not a particularly good tackler, etc. He's a good dribbler, but he's also not particularly mobile with the ball at his feet which negates the dribbling because he does not capitalize on it unless its in very very tight spaces.

He's still only 21yo, but my problem with him is that whenever we'll have even a semi-healthy squad he does not justify a place in the starting lineup which compounds the problem because his development is in slow motion. I'd like to see him develop an attribute or a style of some sort because at the moment I feel like he is stagnating. In a perfect world, I'd like to see him loaned out for a season or two for a PL team who can offer him good minutes. If he shows something then good, if not just sell him and promote someone else or buy someone else.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #440: Aug 26, 2022 01:38:48 pm
      I know this goes against the narrative going right now, but it would be worth questioning why is it our players are getting hurt more often than before they came here, such as whipping boys Matip and Keita.

Yup a genuine concern at what the sports science team are doing with our players.
      rossyred

• 9,096 posts | 1637 
      Reply #441: Aug 26, 2022 01:54:26 pm

Both Matip and Keita muscle injuries by hardly exerting and just going . Seems odd
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,972 posts | 2052 
      Reply #442: Aug 26, 2022 02:06:26 pm
      My problem with Curtis isn't even the injuries. Its the fact that in 3 seasons with us now, I can't say I've seen any significant development in his game from the moment he got to the first team. Not a particularly good passer, not a particularly good presser, not a particularly good tackler, etc. He's a good dribbler, but he's also not particularly mobile with the ball at his feet which negates the dribbling because he does not capitalize on it unless its in very very tight spaces.

He's still only 21yo, but my problem with him is that whenever we'll have even a semi-healthy squad he does not justify a place in the starting lineup which compounds the problem because his development is in slow motion. I'd like to see him develop an attribute or a style of some sort because at the moment I feel like he is stagnating. In a perfect world, I'd like to see him loaned out for a season or two for a PL team who can offer him good minutes. If he shows something then good, if not just sell him and promote someone else or buy someone else.

Not going to lie - it's worth cashing in on him now and we probably should have done so last summer. Never really believed our midfield functions well with him (then again, it's struggled to function for a while). Played appallingly in that Brighton home draw last year. Completely refused to run with Trossard who sauntered in to our box at will, in space and struck the equaliser. Micro moments like that was where we lost the league and what angered me was that it was a failure of duty on his part rather than a tactical / systemic error.

He's not good enough at this level. Simple as. Him being Scouse saves him from a lot of honest critiques.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,050 posts | 6294 
      Reply #443: Aug 26, 2022 03:15:03 pm

I think there is something to the Premier League being a more physical league. And if you aren't getting protection from refs, you are going to take a lot of knocks.
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,982 posts | 667 
      Reply #444: Aug 26, 2022 03:34:52 pm
      I think there is something to the Premier League being a more physical league. And if you aren't getting protection from refs, you are going to take a lot of knocks.
      Not a particularly scientific answer....but there is such a thing as bad luck....We've all had it to some degree
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,050 posts | 6294 
      Reply #445: Aug 26, 2022 03:36:46 pm
      Not a particularly scientific answer....but there is such a thing as bad luck....We've all had it to some degree

When bad luck only seems to happen to you though....it tends to not be just bad luck.

Luck is just a word to describe when preparation meets opportunity. You make your own luck.
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,982 posts | 667 
      Reply #446: Aug 26, 2022 03:57:27 pm
      When bad luck only seems to happen to you though....it tends to not be just bad luck.

Luck is just a word to describe when preparation meets opportunity. You make your own luck.
      To be fair I'm not his biggest fan, so I'm not going defend your opinion of him. As for luck. Let's say you fall in the sea and a big fuckoff shark come's speeding up to you...But decides I can't be arsed chomping you to pieces....Whats that?
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,050 posts | 6294 
      Reply #447: Aug 26, 2022 04:07:44 pm
      To be fair I'm not his biggest fan, so I'm not going defend your opinion of him. As for luck. Let's say you fall in the sea and a big fuckoff shark come's speeding up to you...But decides I can't be arsed chomping you to pieces....Whats that?

That's a shark doing what shark's normally do...not eating humans.
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,982 posts | 667 
      Reply #448: Aug 26, 2022 06:49:56 pm
      That's a shark doing what shark's normally do...not eating humans.
      Enjoy your swim!....If there was no such thing as luck there wouldn't be the word "Luck"

Enjoy the game
      PTU
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,079 posts | 630 
      Reply #449: Aug 26, 2022 11:49:18 pm

To be fair, you cannot overlook the physicality of the League and its impact on foreign players that aren't used to this. We also play a lot more games, including a lot more 'meaningful' games.

Also, before 21/22, we didn't have a winter break, unlike other countries.

As for Curtis, I wouldn't be surprised if this is a case of 'too much, too soon'. Many players that get into the first team at a young age tend to struggle with injuries when they're 21-22 (and sometimes later as well, unfortunately).
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #450: Aug 31, 2022 01:00:27 pm
      Kid will never have a better chance to nail down his place as a Liverpool starter.
      Curtis Jones season is now. Best of luck.
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,088 posts | 1046 
      Reply #451: Sep 04, 2022 08:00:35 pm
      Is he hurt again? Wasn't in the squad
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,481 posts | 3286 
      Reply #452: Sep 04, 2022 08:02:26 pm

Not sure if he was on the bench recently as a filler -hopefully it’s just going to give him time to get fully fit
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,088 posts | 1046 
      Reply #453: Sep 04, 2022 11:39:41 pm
      Not sure if he was on the bench recently as a filler -hopefully it’s just going to give him time to get fully fit

He was on the bench Monday, but not yesterday
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,088 posts | 1046 
      Reply #454: Sep 07, 2022 06:23:39 am
      Injury popped up again. I knew something was up when he wasn't in the bench Saturday.

Kids body is weaker than pond water. Shame
      Crunchycrisps
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 396 posts | 85 
      Reply #455: Sep 07, 2022 11:55:27 am
      Injury popped up again. I knew something was up when he wasn't in the bench Saturday.

Kids body is weaker than pond water. Shame
      oooawww you made me sad writing that, to quote you. awww I'm now sad, nope, I'm fine and footy won't make me sad ever again. I'll just be me and get on with things pffft.
      Btw seen as it's Curtis Jones thread, he's crap unless he proves otherwise is where I'm at, he always crap, every game, just zilch, nothing he everdoes ever is wow, safe safe lets pass the ball to someone to do the job for him, while I understand the pressure of a crowd and people watchng on the tv, we still need people to do the job and I don't think this youngster will ever have the nuts, it's a tough task in the first place no doubt but he isn't an answer to any question to be subbed on for instance, bad sign.
      « Last Edit: Sep 07, 2022 12:02:48 pm by Crunchycrisps »
      Don77

• 6,331 posts | 1036 
      Reply #456: Oct 22, 2022 03:24:33 pm
      Useless ... championship standard at best. I ain't messing round today. No business being at a club supposedly wanting to challenge at the top. Just needs to be said.
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,696 posts | 837 
      Reply #457: Oct 22, 2022 03:45:06 pm
      Useless ... championship standard at best. I ain't messing round today. No business being at a club supposedly wanting to challenge at the top. Just needs to be said.
      Its the wrong season to evaluate anybody because the whole team is absolutely shocking. However, you are still right. The lad has shown in the past two seasons that he's not at the level we need. He also seems to have made 0 progress despite being in the squad day in day out for 2 years+ now. I see no improvement whatsoever. Will score the occasional banger, but that's about it.

Nothing against personally as he seems like a fantastic lad, but just sell him. Loan him to championship side in January with the hope of him mustering something good enough to warrant a decent price tag and capitalize in the summer. If not, just sell in the summer and move on.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,481 posts | 3286 
      Reply #458: Oct 22, 2022 03:50:00 pm
      Christ the lad has just come back from an injury and been out for a while - he is 21 ffs and had an injury hit 18 months which will knock him back at bit

What is it with the desire these days for his own fans to crucify the young players
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #459: Oct 22, 2022 03:58:42 pm
      Christ the lad has just come back from an injury and been out for a while - he is 21 ffs and had an injury hit 18 months which will knock him back at bit

What is it with the desire these days for his own fans to crucify the young players

Jürgen said he wasn't down to play until last night when thiago felt ill. It's pathetic mate.

Quick Reply