Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Curtis Jones Player Thread (M)

Read 76127 times
      bmck
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Re: Curtis Jones Player Thread (M)
      Reply #552: Apr 18, 2023 07:22:15 pm
      Still think Jones playing well is an option for us. He's prone to the odd error, but he takes more risk than Hendo/Fab with his passing. Always had decent close control. Just needs to add intensity of play/closing down/tackling, which he did well last night. And stay fit.

Probably ahead of Elliot in the pecking order right now.
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,088 posts | 1046 
      Reply #553: Apr 19, 2023 02:56:31 am
      Still think Jones playing well is an option for us. He's prone to the odd error, but he takes more risk than Hendo/Fab with his passing. Always had decent close control. Just needs to add intensity of play/closing down/tackling, which he did well last night. And stay fit.

Probably ahead of Elliot in the pecking order right now.
      wierd to me, as Elliot has been solid all season and ultra reliable as far as fitness goes. If Jones can get off the ball a bit sooner he could be a valuable squad player. Can't see him being more than that, but you need those guys to help you lift trophies
      Scottbot
      • Started Topic

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #554: Apr 19, 2023 02:59:58 pm
      He was excellent

Energy
      Pressing
      Tidy on the ball

It was the sort of performance we used to see from Gini

The best thing he is doing now is not holding onto the ball too long and using the better option

I thought that was his best performance in a Lieverpool short. His pressing and energy was superb which isn't somethign i've noticed before. He was neat and tidy on the ball and played a superb pass for the goal (the 3rd one i think). He has had a run of games and appears to be getting stradily better. Who knows maybe he will stayon this trajectory and become the important player we hoped he'd become?
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,481 posts | 3286 
      Reply #555: Apr 28, 2023 10:44:38 am
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,481 posts | 3286 
      Reply #556: Apr 30, 2023 08:55:42 pm
      Another start for Jones and did well again and capped off with a goal.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,481 posts | 3286 
      Reply #557: May 04, 2023 12:54:40 pm
      So I guess those that dismissed him are thinking a touch differently now

He was a pressing monster last night . Gave the team what they missed since Gini left - his performances are earning his place in the team and should imo be getting more credit
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,955 posts | 3334 
      Reply #558: May 04, 2023 01:25:18 pm
      It feels like Jürgen is turning him into an Adam Lallana replacement. The first to press but holds onto the ball too long and has to do something flashy whenever it's at his feet rather than just keep it simple. Also probably not good enough to be a regular starter but vital to a Klopp squad.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,050 posts | 6294 
      Reply #559: May 04, 2023 02:08:01 pm
      It feels like Jürgen is turning him into an Adam Lallana replacement. The first to press but holds onto the ball too long and has to do something flashy whenever it's at his feet rather than just keep it simple. Also probably not good enough to be a regular starter but vital to a Klopp squad.

This. He's been playing well, his confidence seems to be on the rise so that's good for us, but if he's our week in week out starter I think we are still lacking. Good rotational option though to keep people fresh. 
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,459 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #560: May 04, 2023 02:43:14 pm
      Problem with Jones is, he has never really had a proper run in the team, and its now showing that given a decent run he can be very good.

Really pleased for him, had rotten luck with some weird injuries.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,116 posts | 4880 
      Reply #561: May 04, 2023 11:20:36 pm
      Young player starts to look good and play well after a run in the side after injuries?

Who'd have thought it.

Always been a fan and think he's going to be an asset going into the next few seasons.
      DanMann

• 5,635 posts | 866 
      Reply #562: May 04, 2023 11:31:28 pm
      So I guess those that dismissed him are thinking a touch differently now

Nope. Get rid.
      Scottbot
      • Started Topic

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #563: May 06, 2023 08:49:37 pm
      He is definitely pressing really well, playing with a lot of energy. I disagree on the 2nd part though, I think he is moving the ball much more quickly than in his pre ious stints in the team and that’s why he is playing week in week out. He has always had the talent but seemingly not enough going on above the neck but I really like what we’ve seen from him in recent weeks.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #564: May 06, 2023 10:00:17 pm
      Found the balance with Jones in the middle, big reason for the six wins in a row
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,481 posts | 3286 
      Reply #565: May 15, 2023 10:05:28 pm
      Reckon there is enough humble pie to go around
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,972 posts | 2052 
      Reply #566: May 15, 2023 10:29:03 pm
      Reckon there is enough humble pie to go around

Serve it up to me. Been a big critic in the past but he was absolutely outstanding tonight. The perfect balance between energy, precision and vision. Oh and goals as well. A delightful display.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,874 posts | 805 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #567: May 15, 2023 10:33:06 pm
      Keep those performances coming lad, been a standout performer for a fair few games now.

Not only is he keeping the ball well and chipping in with goals but his pressing play is really setting the tone.
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,088 posts | 1046 
      Reply #568: May 15, 2023 11:01:53 pm
      Keep those performances coming lad, been a standout performer for a fair few games now.

Not only is he keeping the ball well and chipping in with goals but his pressing play is really setting the tone.
      I would dare say his pressing has been just as big as TAAs uptick in possession. Those two things combined have made us unbeatable these past 7 games
      Klopps Snood
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,634 posts | 1560 
      • CHAMPI9NS
      Reply #569: May 15, 2023 11:46:09 pm
      Just shows you what a bit of confidence can do for a player, really getting into his stride, lovely couple of goals as well tonight, he won't want the season to end, let's hope he continues with his progression next season.
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,696 posts | 837 
      Reply #570: May 16, 2023 05:48:37 am
      Gotta admit when you were wrong and Curtis is proving me wrong. I was a big critic, but he's just been producing good performance after good performance and those two goals he produced today might be a sign of what's to come. Unless he suddenly switches off, then I was 100% wrong.

Is it me or does he also give off a different feeling/vibe now? Like he's decided to just put his head down, run relentlessly for 90 minutes and earn his place compared to before where you felt like you we were watching a player who was way to relaxed and sort of floating around with not particular aim?

Anyway, I'm very happy with this turn of event and long may it continue. Funnily enough, we might go into the summer with 3 midfielders nobody saw in the picture at the beginning of the season: Trent, Jones and Bajcetic. It's not me implying we shouldn't buy or that we should buy less midfielders this summer (we absolutely need to at least get 2 midfielders), but it's funny how things turn in such a weird way some times.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,481 posts | 3286 
      Reply #571: May 16, 2023 10:06:10 am
      Serve it up to me. Been a big critic in the past but he was absolutely outstanding tonight. The perfect balance between energy, precision and vision. Oh and goals as well. A delightful display.

He is blossoming now after being given a good run of games - it’s clear injury affected him this season but now fully fit and confident he is showing what the managers sees in him

Giving us the sort of energy and pressing that Gini gave us but also adding in those late runs into the box to add goals.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,050 posts | 6294 
      Reply #572: May 16, 2023 11:11:54 am

Same. Think I may start being critical of more players….at that rate we won’t need any new signings if they all make a liar out of me.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,459 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #573: May 16, 2023 11:24:42 am
      Gotta admit when you were wrong and Curtis is proving me wrong. I was a big critic, but he's just been producing good performance after good performance and those two goals he produced today might be a sign of what's to come. Unless he suddenly switches off, then I was 100% wrong.

Is it me or does he also give off a different feeling/vibe now? Like he's decided to just put his head down, run relentlessly for 90 minutes and earn his place compared to before where you felt like you we were watching a player who was way to relaxed and sort of floating around with not particular aim?

Anyway, I'm very happy with this turn of event and long may it continue. Funnily enough, we might go into the summer with 3 midfielders nobody saw in the picture at the beginning of the season: Trent, Jones and Bajcetic. It's not me implying we shouldn't buy or that we should buy less midfielders this summer (we absolutely need to at least get 2 midfielders), but it's funny how things turn in such a weird way some times.

Id say being fully fit and getting a proper run the team makes all the difference.
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,982 posts | 667 
      Reply #574: May 16, 2023 12:11:13 pm
      He's always had the ability, his problem was he often found it hard to sustain the effort needed over 90 minutes, both physically and his concentration. Perhaps he's now realised that to stay at the club he has to graft and put in more of a shift. But now free of injury, he seems a lot more confident, which in turn keeps him involved in the game.
      On the right track, I'll admit 6 weeks ago I thought he should be sold on.

Quick Reply