Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Improving Midfield - how will it set up?

Read 28127 times
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Improving Midfield - how will it set up?
      Aug 01, 2018 06:06:42 pm
      I like to think our midfield will be functioning than malfunctioning this season. And with our front 3 (Salah, Mane & Firmino) and back 5 (Alisson, Robertson, TAA, Lovren & VVD) choices most likely to be the same, I have a feeling midfield will be the most discussed area on the field.

Henderson, Fabinho, Keita, Lallana, Wijnaldum, Milner & maybe Shaqiri are pretty much the players available for midfield selection, so I am really curious to know what midfield set up, roles and combination you guys want to see?

For me, the hub player is the key area that determines how the midfield/team plays, and having Fabinho there , we will have a calming/controlling influence, but slower tempo than last season. So the way I see it, the emphasis will be more so on footballing abilities , and this is where I feel the likes of, Keita, Lallana, Wijnaldum and Shaqiri will thrive.

I can also see the arguments for Hendo & Milner , especially in the traditional box-box role where they offer more directness (off the ball running and long balls), yet still keep that high octane aggressive pressing that Wijnaldum or Lallana offers.

However, what happens if Hendo plays #6 instead of Fabinho? With the likes of, Keita, Lallana & Shaqiri in front of him, does he need to change his game a bit and use our midfielders more often than how he would usually play where he was more prone to passing wide and behind?

How do you guys see it?!
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Re: Improving Midfield - how will it set up?
      Reply #1: Aug 01, 2018 06:11:41 pm
      I like to think our midfield will be functioning than malfunctioning this season. And with our front 3 (Salah, Mane & Firmino) and back 5 (Alisson, Robertson, TAA, Lovren & VVD) choices most likely to be the same, I have a feeling midfield will be the most discussed area on the field.

Henderson, Fabinho, Keita, Lallana, Wijnaldum, Milner & maybe Shaqiri are pretty much the players available for midfield selection, so I am really curious to know what midfield set up, roles and combination you guys want to see?

For me, the hub player is the key area that determines how the midfield/team plays, and having Fabinho there , we will have a calming/controlling influence, but slower tempo than last season. So the way I see it, the emphasis will be more so on footballing abilities , and this is where I feel the likes of, Keita, Lallana, Wijnaldum and Shaqiri will thrive.

I can also see the arguments for Hendo & Milner , especially in the traditional box-box role where they offer more directness (off the ball running and long balls), yet still keep that high octane aggressive pressing that Wijnaldum or Lallana offers.

However, what happens if Hendo plays #6 instead of Fabinho? With the likes of, Keita, Lallana & Shaqiri in front of him, does he need to change his game a bit and use our midfielders more often than how he would usually play where he was more prone to passing wide and behind?

How do you guys see it?!

Reckon first choice will be fabinho keita and lallana
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      Reply #2: Aug 01, 2018 06:15:13 pm
      Be interesting to see how people interpret fabinho's role and the way he plays to the way Henderson did/does. Will he get the same level of criticism if he plays a five yard square ball
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,967 posts | 1355 
      Reply #3: Aug 01, 2018 06:53:59 pm
      Be interesting to see how people interpret fabinho's role and the way he plays to the way Henderson did/does. Will he get the same level of criticism if he plays a five yard square ball

In the World cup Henderson would keep possession with the short pass as opposed to being a bit more ambitious, then he wouldn't look for the return, wouldn't try to find a bit of space to take a pass with the intention of playing a telling pass. In short he just doesn't take charge. He doesn't try to stamp his game on the play, always seems to be happy to be on the peripheral of the action.

It's not necessarily his short game, it's his overall lack of ambition on the ball. He puts in a shift but it's nearly always a average at best shift. I've backed him often enough but it's starting to wear a little bit thin. If we don't see a lot more intention to impose himself on the play, be more positive, more ambition this season then I think he will lose his place. He didn't have a 100% guaranteed start last season and I think Klopp has put a question mark against his name. Step up Hendo..or step aside.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #4: Aug 01, 2018 06:58:55 pm
      In the World cup Henderson would keep possession with the short pass as opposed to being a bit more ambitious, then he wouldn't look for the return, wouldn't try to find a bit of space to take a pass with the intention of playing a telling pass. In short he just doesn't take charge. He doesn't try to stamp his game on the play, always seems to be happy to be on the peripheral of the action.

It's not necessarily his short game, it's his overall lack of ambition on the ball. He puts in a shift but it's nearly always a average at best shift. I've backed him often enough but it's starting to wear a little bit thin. If we don't see a lot more intention to impose himself on the play, be more positive, more ambition this season then I think he will lose his place. He didn't have a 100% guaranteed start last season and I think Klopp has put a question mark against his name. Step up Hendo..or step aside.

I bet Henderson, barring injury, starts at least 30 Premier League matches this season.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #5: Aug 01, 2018 07:03:29 pm
      I bet Henderson, barring injury, starts at least 30 Premier League matches this season.

Perhaps, but the question is, as a #6 or #8?
      Harrisimo

• 7,967 posts | 1355 
      Reply #6: Aug 01, 2018 07:03:34 pm

Your on... I'll go 25-28....maybe less...so I'll give you a spread of 3...injuries void the bet...the stake...er..bag of sprouts...or whatever..

me....25-28

you...30-33...........you did say " at least 30"...
      Harrisimo

• 7,967 posts | 1355 
      Reply #7: Aug 01, 2018 07:11:32 pm
      Your on... I'll go 25-28....maybe less...so I'll give you a spread of 3...injuries void the bet...the stake...er..bag of sprouts...or whatever..

me....25-28

I'm up against it taking into account that Can has done a runner and Alex is injured so Hendo could well play 28-33...which would knock me out but I'll stick with the 25-28 prediction.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #8: Aug 01, 2018 07:18:31 pm
      I'm up against it taking into account that Can has done a runner and Alex is injured so Hendo could well play 28-33...which would knock me out but I'll stick with the 25-28 prediction.

Not a bad bet considering there is a very good chance he doesn't play the first 4 matches.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #9: Aug 01, 2018 07:23:13 pm

Apparently, he already has his critics.

Read a few that don't rate him because he is too slow and lethargic in his passing  :confused-smiley-013:

I have a feeling the people who didn't rate Lucas and thought he was sh*t could possibly dislike Fabinho's play style.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      Reply #10: Aug 01, 2018 07:41:16 pm

Read a few that don't rate him because he is too slow and lethargic in his passing  :confused-smiley-013:

I have a feeling the people who didn't rate Lucas and thought he was sh*t could possibly dislike Fabinho's play style.

Does appear to be a pattern
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      Reply #11: Aug 01, 2018 07:44:13 pm

Thought at times his passing was very progressive in the world cup
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #12: Aug 02, 2018 04:06:13 am

me....25-28

As I said 30, it should be 30 and above for me, barring being unavailable for injury. You can have anything from 29 and below.
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #13: Aug 02, 2018 05:38:17 am

How do you guys see it?!

Those options give us a massive amount of unpredictability in the middle of the park where as especially towards the back end of the season every man and his dog knew what kind of playstyle/performance we'd get out of a three of Hendo/Milner/Wijnaldum for example.

A lot of horses for courses to come this season and quite a few midfield setups out of left field to catch teams off guard I feel. Very exciting times to be a red this season.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #14: Aug 02, 2018 11:05:22 am

This.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #15: Aug 02, 2018 12:25:04 pm

Personally I haven’t actually seen anything negative being said about him. Ultimately some people will just never be happy and always find something to moan about, think Fabinho is just the unlucky one it’s fallen on. But like I say, I haven’t seen anything negative said yet.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #16: Aug 02, 2018 12:40:20 pm

Agree and said similar a few days back although I went 30+ games.

I think those that thought Fabinho would put an end to Henderson are going to be a bit disappointed.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #17: Aug 02, 2018 12:44:41 pm
      Agree and said similar a few days back although I went 30+ games.

I think those that thought Fabinho would put an end to Henderson are going to be a bit disappointed.

There's a reason so many managers, including Klopp, have Henderson as one of the first names on the team sheet.

It seems fashionable to slag the lad off, just as it was with Lucas a few years back.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,954 posts | 3334 
      Reply #18: Aug 02, 2018 06:29:45 pm
      I think given the options we have, all over the pitch, we'll be unlikely to see any particular nailed on 11. Some critics will call it rotation, some will say it's Klopp not knowing his best side, some will praise it for using the entire squad, some will praise it just because it's Klopp picking the side.

But I think this year we're more likely to see us change formations more frequently. I can see us trying the three centre halves and two wing backs a bit more. I can see us playing two traditional central midfielders behind three "attacking" midfielders behind a lone forward a bit more - especially given the way Sturridge has performed in pre-season. As well as sticking with the 4-3-3 we played with last season that towards the end of the year teams were somewhat sussing out.

So I can't really say who or what I think Klopp will go with predominantly as I think it's going to be ever changing over the course of the season, especially early on as people get up to speed in terms of fitness and what is expected of them from the manager. What I will say though, is the midfield three I think Klopp will trust in the biggest games will be Keita, Fabinho and Henderson.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #19: Aug 02, 2018 06:36:12 pm
      We will at last have or Jürgen will have the chance change players to suite the opposition and that's such a bonus this year. Its going to be exciting to watch how the different midfield players are used and how destructive to the opposition they are going to be.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #20: Aug 02, 2018 06:37:02 pm
      I think given the options we have, all over the pitch, we'll be unlikely to see any particular nailed on 11. Some critics will call it rotation, some will say it's Klopp not knowing his best side, some will praise it for using the entire squad, some will praise it just because it's Klopp picking the side.

But I think this year we're more likely to see us change formations more frequently. I can see us trying the three centre halves and two wing backs a bit more. I can see us playing two traditional central midfielders behind three "attacking" midfielders behind a lone forward a bit more - especially given the way Sturridge has performed in pre-season. As well as sticking with the 4-3-3 we played with last season that towards the end of the year teams were somewhat sussing out.

So I can't really say who or what I think Klopp will go with predominantly as I think it's going to be ever changing over the course of the season, especially early on as people get up to speed in terms of fitness and what is expected of them from the manager. What I will say though, is the midfield three I think Klopp will trust in the biggest games will be Keita, Fabinho and Henderson.

Pretty much how I see it Billy.

The squad now gives Jürgen a lot more flexibility both in terms of personnel and formations.

Like you I think the most used combination will be Fabinho, Keita and Henderson.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #21: Aug 02, 2018 11:03:13 pm
      Likely to be some degree of rotation for the 12 games Keita will likely be suspended for this season.

3 each for the Utd/Ev games 🤼‍♀️
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #22: Aug 03, 2018 02:45:59 am
      Changing formations, systems, players every week won't win you a league title. Consistency does.

We will be playing 4-3-3 every week with the same 11 more or less but will swap and change a couple of players to keep things fresh every now and then, particularly when we have a hectic schedule.

The midfield three picks itself for me. Fabinho, Keita and Lallana. You have a 6, an 8 and a 10 there. It's got the best balance.

Putting Henderson into the team only disrupts it. We will then have two 6's and an 8. People who say Henderson is an 8 are just kidding themselves and believe me, you'll see the difference when you watch Keita play this season. Henderson is nowhere near that level.

Even if his supporters say im wrong and continue saying how great he is as an 8, the midfield is still unbalanced. You then have a 6 and two 8s.  And don't start me on Keita playing as the 10. You're kidding yourselves with that one as well.

I mentioned it a day or so ago in another thread but it all comes down to whether klopp has the bottle to take Henderson out of the team. I think that if we are going to progress further then he has to. Id have given the armband to Virgil by now and I'd have told Jordan he is a squad player.

It hasn't happened (yet) so I can only presume Henderson is still our captain and that he will therefore be the first name on our team sheet. It doesn't make sense to me and if that is actually the case then I worry we will lack creativity from the middle of the park in certain games next season.

Quick Reply