Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Improving Midfield - how will it set up?

Read 28145 times
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Re: Improving Midfield - how will it set up?
      Reply #23: Aug 03, 2018 01:33:39 pm
      Changing formations, systems, players every week won't win you a league title. Consistency does.

We will be playing 4-3-3 every week with the same 11 more or less but will swap and change a couple of players to keep things fresh every now and then, particularly when we have a hectic schedule.

The midfield three picks itself for me. Fabinho, Keita and Lallana. You have a 6, an 8 and a 10 there. It's got the best balance.

Putting Henderson into the team only disrupts it. We will then have two 6's and an 8. People who say Henderson is an 8 are just kidding themselves and believe me, you'll see the difference when you watch Keita play this season. Henderson is nowhere near that level.

Even if his supporters say im wrong and continue saying how great he is as an 8, the midfield is still unbalanced. You then have a 6 and two 8s.  And don't start me on Keita playing as the 10. You're kidding yourselves with that one as well.

I mentioned it a day or so ago in another thread but it all comes down to whether klopp has the bottle to take Henderson out of the team. I think that if we are going to progress further then he has to. Id have given the armband to Virgil by now and I'd have told Jordan he is a squad player.

It hasn't happened (yet) so I can only presume Henderson is still our captain and that he will therefore be the first name on our team sheet. It doesn't make sense to me and if that is actually the case then I worry we will lack creativity from the middle of the park in certain games next season.

It depends if the players are comfortable in changing positions and know all their roles, if they do then it gives you one hell of a weapon as the opposition will not have a clue how to set up against you.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #24: Aug 03, 2018 01:40:42 pm
      Think there is the option there to set up across either 4-3-3 or 4-2-2-2.

Strongest players available probably 4-2-2-2.

NB: Team no longer available
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #25: Aug 03, 2018 02:05:49 pm
      Putting Henderson into the team only disrupts it. We will then have two 6's and an 8. People who say Henderson is an 8 are just kidding themselves and believe me, you'll see the difference when you watch Keita play this season. Henderson is nowhere near that level.

Even if his supporters say im wrong and continue saying how great he is as an 8, the midfield is still unbalanced. You then have a 6 and two 8s.  And don't start me on Keita playing as the 10. You're kidding yourselves with that one as well.

I disagree. Hendo has a lot more to offer than you think; not in terms of footballing abilities, but more so the athletic side. Having Fabinho, Keita next to him and Hendo as the #8, there would be less emphasis on the ball and more on the grunt work where he is exceptional/world class at.

For the 6, 8, 8 setup being unbalanced, I really don't see it? Keita will be more creative, Wijnaldum/Hendo/Milner will be more industrial and Fabinho more controlling.

As for Keita playing the #10 role, he is more than capable of playing there to high levels, but I do agree with your previous post on him best suited in a double pivot/deeper midfield role.
      Benito
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,918 posts | 281 
      Reply #26: Aug 03, 2018 02:48:46 pm

Agree re the shape. I still think Shaquiri is cover for the wings rather than a starter though. I personally would probably switch Shaq for Studge and move Mo back out wide.

racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #27: Aug 03, 2018 02:52:18 pm
      Agree re the shape. I still think Shaquiri is cover for the wings rather than a starter though. I personally would probably switch Shaq for Studge and move Mo back out wide.

If Shaqiri doesn't start then it's 4-3-3 with Milner or Wijnaldum in the midfield.
      Benito
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,918 posts | 281 
      Reply #28: Aug 03, 2018 02:56:21 pm
      Lallana will start before either of them, but I'm not delighted about it. Would rather 4-3-3 with Shaq at the 10.
      I honestly don't see where Milly's role is this season other than a "hole filler". He was immense last season as probably deserves better, but just cant see where he fits anymore with so much depth (as I can't see Jordan getting dropped).
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #29: Aug 03, 2018 02:58:51 pm

Good Lord that is one hell of an attack, good luck bus parking that!!
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #30: Aug 03, 2018 03:00:23 pm
      Lallana will start before either of them, but I'm not delighted about it. Would rather 4-3-3 with Shaq at the 10.
      I honestly don't see where Milly's role is this season other than a "hole filler". He was immense last season as probably deserves better, but just cant see where he fits anymore with so much depth (as I can't see Jordan getting dropped).

Milner will be a utility player again, much like he was last season offering cover in LB and midfield, a very useful player.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #31: Aug 03, 2018 03:01:41 pm

Can't see Henderson being ahead of Fabinho.
      Definitely can see Milner and Wijnaldum getting less minutes.
      Would be more than happy to see Milner getting the role he had last year where he effectively nailed down a role but was looked after.
      Dude looks after himself and deserves to be an important player in the squad.

Edit: Lallana is starting ahead of nobody btw. Reckon he's last in the pecking order across attacking and midfield options.
              Especially if he constantly keeps picking up fresh injuries.
      « Last Edit: Aug 03, 2018 04:54:39 pm by racerx34 »
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,757 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #32: Aug 03, 2018 05:36:52 pm

It is his role within the squad and when we got low on bodies he came in and did a great job. Yes it is kinda unfair for him but he will play a part in the season as the fixture come thick and fast (especially where he doesn't play for England he is fresh option to have after those international break). I think you will see Gini play more advanced role within the mid-field 3 like he did a couple years ago being link between mid-field and attack which I think is his best role. Last season we was asked to play deeper role but with the additions we got I we don't need that from him.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #33: Aug 03, 2018 06:07:14 pm

It’s the same role as he had last season. He only played as much as he did because of the injuries we kept getting in the midfield to Can, Gini, Ox and Hendo.
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #34: Aug 03, 2018 09:32:18 pm
      The midfield will be judged on performance and form. It may take 10-12 games before a settled pattern emerges and even then it will be subject to form. Point  is that Klopp now has much more quality at his disposal. One sour note is the terrible injury to AOC.

Alex was just growing into it. Getting up to speed with our demands and he gets a bad injury. But Klopp has to deal with it and has the midfield squad to do that. So form will dictate his best midfield as I suppose it usually does, only this season he has more quality options.
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,136 posts | 1192 
      Reply #35: Aug 03, 2018 10:12:09 pm
      I think Henderson, Keita and Fabinho are likely to be the favoured trio, followed by Milner, Wijnaldum and Lallana, in that order.

It is such a shame about the Ox because he was arguably our best midfielder last year and only Keita can really fulfil that role IMO. Still, if Keita is fit and keeps his head then with our attacking trio + Shaqiri, we should scare the life out of most defences.

It’s a lucky side that ever has just the right amount of options at any given time.
      Harrisimo

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #36: Aug 03, 2018 10:45:50 pm
      I think Henderson, Keita and Fabinho are likely to be the favoured trio, followed by Milner, Wijnaldum and Lallana, in that order.

It is such a shame about the Ox because he was arguably our best midfielder last year and only Keita can really fulfil that role IMO. Still, if Keita is fit and keeps his head then with our attacking trio + Shaqiri, we should scare the life out of most defences.

It’s a lucky side that ever has just the right amount of options at any given time.

Aren't Hendo & Fabinho a bit to much alike. Would Klopp go with Mane,Bob,Salah,Shaqiri,Keita with. Hendo or Fabinho holding.

Would that attacking front 6 blow teams away. Who would be able to deal with Mane, Firmino, Shaqiri and Mo Salah coming at them backed up by Keita. With a holding midfield player, either Hendo or Fabinho. Mind boggling attack,attack,attack.
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,136 posts | 1192 
      Reply #37: Aug 04, 2018 12:42:05 am
      Aren't Hendo & Fabinho a bit to much alike. Would Klopp go with Mane,Bob,Salah,Shaqiri,Keita with. Hendo or Fabinho holding.

Would that attacking front 6 blow teams away. Who would be able to deal with Mane, Firmino, Shaqiri and Mo Salah coming at them backed up by Keita. With a holding midfield player, either Hendo or Fabinho. Mind boggling attack,attack,attack.

I think there’s a good chance of that if we play por ej. Maribor again as I feel confident we would win 11-0, but by and large I think it will be Hendo and Keita, along with, I presume, Fabinho given we spent £40m on him (haven’t seen much of him tbh) with plenty of opportunities for the others given the number of games we should expect to play and the manager’s tendency to rotate, which is unavoidable given the intensity with which we play.

I’m just excited to see them all play, whoever the manager picks.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #38: Aug 04, 2018 02:15:38 am
      Surprised to see so many writing off lallana. Ok, he was riddled with injury last season but I don't think he's a Daniel sturridge.

The season before last he was arguably our player of the season in that 10 role. He was key to our pressing game. He performed that well I remember wanting him to be our captain.

If he can stay fit and if he re-discovers that form then he will be one of the first names on the team sheet.

I really like Lallana and thought he was boss for us in the 10 role.

What I don't want to see is him being cover for either salah or mane. He is dreadful when he's played out wide because he can't beat a man.  If he plays then it has to be as the 10 or not at all.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #39: Aug 04, 2018 09:42:40 am
      I think there’s a good chance of that if we play por ej. Maribor again as I feel confident we would win 11-0, but by and large I think it will be Hendo and Keita, along with, I presume, Fabinho given we spent £40m on him (haven’t seen much of him tbh) with plenty of opportunities for the others given the number of games we should expect to play and the manager’s tendency to rotate, which is unavoidable given the intensity with which we play.

I’m just excited to see them all play, whoever the manager picks.

I really hope we don't play 2 defensive midfielders in Henderson and Fabinho, that would be equivalent to last season when we had Henderson and Milner, way to negative unless we are trying to defend a lead.
      Henderson has his uses but he offers close to zero going forwards apart form keeping the ball moving and breaking down opposition plays, ie a DM. At CM he is only just ok.
      I would like to see Fabinho/Henderson, Keita and Lallana/Wijnaldum as our core starting trio.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #40: Aug 04, 2018 12:48:17 pm
      Surprised to see so many writing off lallana. Ok, he was riddled with injury last season but I don't think he's a Daniel sturridge.

The season before last he was arguably our player of the season in that 10 role. He was key to our pressing game. He performed that well I remember wanting him to be our captain.

If he can stay fit and if he re-discovers that form then he will be one of the first names on the team sheet.

I really like Lallana and thought he was boss for us in the 10 role.

What I don't want to see is him being cover for either salah or mane. He is dreadful when he's played out wide because he can't beat a man.  If he plays then it has to be as the 10 or not at all.

Agree about two seasons ago, and he is being given every opportunity to bounce back this season, only fair. But even after he came back from injuries last season he was...ineffective. He likely would have started in midfield today but, this time it's a calf muscle. Hopefully he will be back in action vs. Torino.

Maybe he has another good season left in him - I hope he does. But Father Time is, as they say, undefeated.
      Harrisimo

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #41: Aug 05, 2018 10:43:54 pm
      I can see Klopp going with Mane,Bob,Salah,Keita,Fabinho,Hendo for the West Ham game. Won't want to get the balance wrong with the opener. He will keep Shaqiri in reserve and will play a more attacking midfield as games progress but Klopp will be well aware that WH will want to get off to a flyer and this might make him just err on the side of caution.

A good solid start, no slip ups is more important than setting out on trying to blast WH away with a slightly risky all out attack policy.Blowing teams away will happen when we settle into the season but for the opener we want it solid from our area to theirs. Do the basics right, get the 3 points without any drama.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #42: Aug 05, 2018 10:48:57 pm
      Wijnaldum - Fabinho - Keita for me.
      Fourbrick
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 844 posts | 235 
      Reply #43: Aug 06, 2018 03:47:48 pm
      Shaqiri, Fabinho and Keita in midfield.
      harrydunn08

• 5,915 posts | 957 
      Reply #44: Aug 06, 2018 11:43:25 pm
      If it was me, I'd go with:  Fabinho - Gini - Keita. 

Keita is the only one who looks head and shoulders above the chasing pack. 

Lallana (when fit) is a solid option, as are Hendo and Millie.  Any of these 3 can rotate with Fab or Gini with no significant drop in quality. 

When Ox returns, he will walk into the starting lineup assuming he can get back to pre-injury form. 

I'm still not convinced Shaqiri has the right skill set to play as a CM or CAM.  I think he's a brilliant signing and I think he will be great coming off the bench or the occasional start to give a rest to any of the front 3, but I think that's where he's best utilized.  Him and Studge provide the depth for our forward options, and that's where they need to be deployed in my opinion.  That said, I had the same opinion about Ox last summer.  I didn't think he had the skill set to play CM, and I thought he was coming in to provide depth on the wing -- he proved me wrong.  I'll be thrilled if Shaqiri proves me wrong this summer as the club will benefit from having such a talented and versatile player.

*** If we sign Fekir, he walks into the starting lineup at #10.  I know it ain't happening, but we live in hope for a few more days. 
      « Last Edit: Aug 07, 2018 12:04:40 am by harrydunn08 »
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #45: Aug 07, 2018 12:10:19 am
      I would be surprised if Fabinho and Keita start against West Ham, don't think it's wise to have 2 debuting players in midfield in this league.

Hendo won't be fit so I would imagine the midfield will be Keita, Milner and Gini for the first game.

Quick Reply